• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have received overwhelmingly kind support, both for my first story The Chaos Cognizance, and for my second The Science of Love. A few negative reviews, but none I really took to heart. Except for on

I'm lucky to say that I haven't received really negative comments so far, but what I've noticed reading reviews to other stories is that normally negative comments are posted anonymously. That's reall

Thank you so much for saying the nice things about my story.    I wanted to add, I love your story too. I love different stories and yours is wonderful.  Low reviews are hitting morale, but I think th

It is strange to get reviews for you old stories, don't get me wrong I enjoy getting them, it just seems strange to get them after all that time.

There could be several reasons for this.   Congrats that your writing is holding interest.

TBBT has been on the air for 9 season now.   New fans are always coming on board.   The next generation is now coming of age and discovering what we've been watching for almost a decade.    In some countries, they don't get the privilege of seeing the current seasons like we do here in the USA.

Many people don't know about FanFic.net and just stumble on it.   There are several thousand TBBT FF's out there.  It could take time for discovery your story.

I certainly hope that with the effort I have put into my stories, that people will still be reading and reviewing them years from now.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 2

It is strange to get reviews for you old stories, don't get me wrong I enjoy getting them, it just seems strange to get them after all that time.

usually, some people who read one story of yours decide to give your older ones a try and sometimes they review :)

• Like 1

Very interesting to read all your thoughts. I have been busy writing for my other fandom for the past few months now, and I'd just like to take a moment to thank Hazelra for staying with it and trying out a show she didn't previously know (not many of you would know it, and those that do would probably not agree with where I'm taking it - its own fandom wouldn't be keen on it, in general!) I do have one other regular reviewer for it though, who is a big fan of the show, and she reviews via Facebook PM's, which is just as good.

I've never had anything bad, fortunately, as some of you have, but a lot of indifference with some of them. Try looking up The Reviews Lounge Too - part of the Fanfiction.net site - you may find yourself reviewing a show or genre you know nothing about, but you can get some great reviews there!

Edited by Bella Duveen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to start a topic for this very issue but I saw this one and thought I would add to it. I haven't read all the way through but I don't always like to as I want to say my peace on an issue. As a writer I love my reviews and I think that goes for all of us. Now as a Shamy shipper I have some great followers/reviewers but recently I began reading some stories outside of the ship(okay I will admit....I read Shenny). Anyway, I found a challenge that they had set up and I thought it was kind of creepy and weird but the more I read the stories the more I thought the writers were very talented. I left reviews. I started getting hate PMs from fellow Shamy shippers(which I have since worked out so no calling anyone out) telling me that if I was going to like them then I guess I would then want to write them.

I realized this prompt was for Halloween so I tried my hand. The prompt wanted us to kill off Leonard and Amy(I know....I said it was creepy) but anyway I used episode two as my backdrop and what if the dream wasn't actually Leonard's. So knowing what the Shenny shippers had gotten from their reviews I expected the worst.

No one was really harsh, both from the Shamy and Shenny camp, except one who called me an attention whore. It to me was clear that the person hadn't read it. So I decided to call out all guest reviews who couldn't be bothered enough to add a name to their hate in my latest chapter of When Sheldon met Amy.

Two of the first reviews were awful.....someone called me a twelve year old and that my story wasn't that big of a twist. I was also called a trashy faker. These reviews were deleted and I now have to go and filter my guest reviews.

Please hear me....and I don't think this applies to everyone on here:
We are people with real feelings and when you write and tell people they are delusional, stupid, fake and such.....or worse tell a person they should kill themselves....it is ridiculous.

I can handle hate of the story but hate on me makes no sense.....

I wanted to try and write something outside of my comfort zone much like some of you did after the season 7 finale and while I didn't read them all some of them were really good and I understood a really good story. I think if we all just take the time to read why some people ship different couples you may understand why they write the stories.

A good writer is a good writer no matter what the ship. This is my opinion. I will not apologize for reviews I leave on a good story. I leave stories I don't like alone....I try and remember that we all have feelings.

Thank you for starting this thread and I now feel so much better after ranting on more than one forum.

• Like 4

When you say kill off Leonard and Amy, do you mean break up Shamy and Lenny, and have Amy and Leonard leave Sheldon and Penny's lives, or actually have them die?

Killing off in regards to scripts generally means having that character disappear, usually by actually killing them. Which is kinda necessary, since I personally find the Shenny pairing so implausible that it can't happen without Leonard leaving the picture forever. Some might say opposites attract but I can't suspend my disbelief enough to believe that a passionate woman like Penny can love and be with such a cold and distant person like Sheldon

I wanted to try and write something outside of my comfort zone.

I recently wrote a fic, that was W-A-Y different from anything I've written before, and I was rather worried it would go down like a lead balloon, but the (admittedly small number of) reviews, were quite complimentary. :cool: 

Which is kinda necessary, since I personally find the Shenny pairing so implausible that it can't happen without Leonard leaving the picture forever.

So, it wasn't just a matter of killing off Amy and Leonard, but also having Sheldon and Penny become a couple?

That is creepy, and I wouldn't read such a story.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

When you say kill off Leonard and Amy, do you mean break up Shamy and Lenny, and have Amy and Leonard leave Sheldon and Penny's lives, or actually have them die?

It did mean killing them.....I said it was creepy and I understand you not wanting to read them. I don't know what drew me to them.....it most likely because i felt bad that they were told themselves to go and kill themselves. Again it was a Halloween plot.....which some people find ways to make people uncomfortable. My particular death occurred within a nightmare. It was supposed to be fun..... Some others were downright hate filled while others had very clever ways to take care of it. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I recently wrote a fic, that was W-A-Y different from anything I've written before, and I was rather worried it would go down like a lead balloon, but the (admittedly small number of) reviews, were quite complimentary. :cool: 

So, it wasn't just a matter of killing off Amy and Leonard, but also having Sheldon and Penny become a couple?

That is creepy, and I wouldn't read such a story.

Some were creepy. Some didn't include Amy....those were usually the ones I liked most. I can't tell you what to read but I don't think you would tell someone to kill themselves because they killed fictional characters. My whole point was how hateful some comments can be. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Killing off in regards to scripts generally means having that character disappear, usually by actually killing them. Which is kinda necessary, since I personally find the Shenny pairing so implausible that it can't happen without Leonard leaving the picture forever. Some might say opposites attract but I can't suspend my disbelief enough to believe that a passionate woman like Penny can love and be with such a cold and distant person like Sheldon

That is so true but that is why it is fanfiction.....suspend disbelief. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is so true but that is why it is fanfiction.....suspend disbelief. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I said, when it comes to Shenny, I can't suspend my disbelief enough to read that. I like suspending my disbelief, I write two tbbt stories myself but that is just too much ^^

As I said, when it comes to Shenny, I can't suspend my disbelief enough to read that. I like suspending my disbelief, I write two tbbt stories myself but that is just too much ^^

I can respect that. My point was the hate filled reviews telling writers to kill themselves because they want to write a different ship. I'm not telling anyone what to write or read. And I am sorry if I made you feel this way. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry. I'm getting confused.

So, do Leonard and Amy die, in these fanfics?

Yes they do. Not in mine as it was a dream but the topic was about reviews. I have read some ugly reviews telling Shenny writers to kill themselves because of these stories. This was what I was getting at. Sorry to have confused you. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still not liking the idea.

I know I killed off Sheldon, in one of my fanfics, but it was in the epilogue, it was natural causes, and I didn't go into great detail, or describe it.

You don't have to. I'm not sure why I liked some of them.....I can't explain it, I really can't. But I can say one thing I started reading some other stories by the writers and there is real talent even if they don't ship my ship. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

most of them they killed leonard, they

were bad. like the first one i read (he was tied down

cut open ,and had sauce put on him for a bear to 

eat him alive.)

since amy was broken up with sheldon

no need to kill her in most of them

I was going to start a topic for this very issue but I saw this one and thought I would add to it. I haven't read all the way through but I don't always like to as I want to say my peace on an issue. As a writer I love my reviews and I think that goes for all of us. Now as a Shamy shipper I have some great followers/reviewers but recently I began reading some stories outside of the ship(okay I will admit....I read Shenny). Anyway, I found a challenge that they had set up and I thought it was kind of creepy and weird but the more I read the stories the more I thought the writers were very talented. I left reviews. I started getting hate PMs from fellow Shamy shippers(which I have since worked out so no calling anyone out) telling me that if I was going to like them then I guess I would then want to write them.

I realized this prompt was for Halloween so I tried my hand. The prompt wanted us to kill off Leonard and Amy(I know....I said it was creepy) but anyway I used episode two as my backdrop and what if the dream wasn't actually Leonard's. So knowing what the Shenny shippers had gotten from their reviews I expected the worst.

No one was really harsh, both from the Shamy and Shenny camp, except one who called me an attention whore. It to me was clear that the person hadn't read it. So I decided to call out all guest reviews who couldn't be bothered enough to add a name to their hate in my latest chapter of When Sheldon met Amy.

Two of the first reviews were awful.....someone called me a twelve year old and that my story wasn't that big of a twist. I was also called a trashy faker. These reviews were deleted and I now have to go and filter my guest reviews.

A good writer is a good writer no matter what the ship. This is my opinion. I will not apologize for reviews I leave on a good story. I leave stories I don't like alone....I try and remember that we all have feelings.

First of all, I'm glad that you took the time to actually read the Halloween challenges without outright condemning them site unseen. Not all of them were my cup of tea as I like humour or a plot twist with my kind of murder but writers were having fun with it. In terms of fan fiction, I looked at these as being Halloween 'can I weird you/gross you/make you laugh/intrigue you' one-offs as opposed to 'serious' Shenny fare. I suppose, however, there will be some that think that this is how all Shenny stories go and that thought really does a disservice to the Shenny fandom as a whole.

Not all Shenny stories are romantic. Additionally, Leonard and/or Amy aren't tools in every story, either. Some focus solely on romantic Shenny while others involve the entire cast. In fact, when I started reading fan fiction four years ago I read everything, Shamy, Shenny, Lenny, etc, and I have to admit that I was drawn to Shenny because of the strength of the writers. There are some stories I read where I was torn between sheer awe and green envy as I only wish I could write like that. Until I fell under their spell I had never even thought of romantic Shenny but that's what strong writing does—take you into a world where you have no choice but to believe.

As for your comments, you'll have to forgive me but I was shocked to read that some of your Shamy compatriots actually sent you hate PMs. Are we really in such dire times that one can't stray from one's 'faction', to just be a reader or writer of fan fiction instead of a card-carrying member of Team Shamy or Team Shenny? I've always stood up for friend!Amy because I really liked her in s4 (and if they did a Shamy with s4 Sheldon and Amy with things similar to the meme theory moment I would have been in like Flynn) and I do like the Shelnard in any capacity. This has, at times, put me at philosophical odds with some Shennys but I've never received hate mail. Sorry, this really blew my mind.

I applaud you for taking up the challenge. I did enjoy your story, it was hilarious. I read your reviews and I'm happy to see, and really, I'm not surprised, that familiar Shenny readers were receptive to your work. I've done some pretty whacked things in my own fan fictions that, at times, merited PMs of a 'You sure you know what you're doing, right?' nature, but overall I've found Shenny readers to be quite open to having writers try new things.

If ever you take up the pen to write another Shenny-esque story I'll be there to read. Your humour really is a scream. :)

Regards, Project Gorilla 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I find that reviews are always a mixed bag. Some are very positive and encouraging which helps me grow as a writer and then some are just nasty postings. I've always used if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. I think that being able to hide behind a computer really brings out the bad in some people.

When I get reviews, I delete the ones that are vile and unhelpful. I don't mind leaving a review that points out issues with the story/grammer, etc but I refuse to put up with nasty troll reviews. It sucks the urge to write and then you start questioning everything that you've written until you don't want to type another word.

I mostly follow a story until I see it's complete. I've been burned way too many times by reading a story and then the story just stops being updated. Nothing is more fustrating then that. Now I wait until the story is complete and then review.

4 hours ago, tayryn said:

I mostly follow a story until I see it's complete. I've been burned way too many times by reading a story and then the story just stops being updated. Nothing is more fustrating then that. Now I wait until the story is complete and then review.

Do you review every chapter then or give a blanket review?

For me, I like getting reviews that are actually reviews. If I put out a 15,000 word chapter and I get a "Good part" in a review, that's more a comment. A review at least mentions some of what happened in the chapter ^^

• Like 3