Jump to content

Reviews


rachelshamyfan
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, son-goku5 said:

Do you review every chapter then or give a blanket review?

For me, I like getting reviews that are actually reviews. If I put out a 15,000 word chapter and I get a "Good part" in a review, that's more a comment. A review at least mentions some of what happened in the chapter ^^

It depends on the length of the story. I try to do each chapter but if the story is long, I'll just do a mass review of everything I enjoyed. If I notice any spelling errors or misused words, I will PM the author instead of posting it in my main review.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, tayryn said:

It depends on the length of the story. I try to do each chapter but if the story is long, I'll just do a mass review of everything I enjoyed. If I notice any spelling errors or misused words, I will PM the author instead of posting it in my main review.

Just asking ^^ Writers want to feel appreciated. And for me, since my M-rated story has surpassed 700k words so far, getting one review a chapter would cause me to wait a long time to feel the need to write another one ^^. The thing with blanket reviews at the end, you can't really touch on everything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just asking ^^ Writers want to feel appreciated. And for me, since my M-rated story has surpassed 700k words so far, getting one review a chapter would cause me to wait a long time to feel the need to write another one ^^. The thing with blanket reviews at the end, you can't really touch on everything.

700k words?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎01‎ ‎11‎:‎49‎:‎28‎, son-goku5 said:

Just asking ^^ Writers want to feel appreciated. And for me, since my M-rated story has surpassed 700k words so far, getting one review a chapter would cause me to wait a long time to feel the need to write another one ^^. The thing with blanket reviews at the end, you can't really touch on everything.

Wow!  735 k words is very impressive!  Do you write fast?  My longest piece is only 55 k words (which relates to roughly 100 pages in Word).  I actually write fast, but its hard to find the time lately.   I just looked up how long LOTR is in word count and its only around 450 k words!

I have to agree with you regarding the reviews.  As an author I much prefer getting reviews as I go along.  It's nice to see the encouragement and get feedback on the story.  It's true, when you get a crazy number of reviews for a chapter, you feel that itch to start writing the next one.  If you get crickets on a chapter, then the next one is often slow coming.  Even for people that wait til the story is complete, it's nice to get reviews every few chapters as they are reading, to see their thoughts as the story progresses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, nibbler747 said:

Wow!  735 k words is very impressive!  Do you write fast?  My longest piece is only 55 k words (which relates to roughly 100 pages in Word).  I actually write fast, but its hard to find the time lately.   I just looked up how long LOTR is in word count and its only around 450 k words!

I have to agree with you regarding the reviews.  As an author I much prefer getting reviews as I go along.  It's nice to see the encouragement and get feedback on the story.  It's true, when you get a crazy number of reviews for a chapter, you feel that itch to start writing the next one.  If you get crickets on a chapter, then the next one is often slow coming.  Even for people that wait til the story is complete, it's nice to get reviews every few chapters as they are reading, to see their thoughts as the story progresses.

I can write fast. It's more a question of available time. Also, when I wrote Chapter 25 (the one with 33k words), I was in such a zone, if you will, that when I stopped writing to go to the bathroom, I noticed that it was three in the morning.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎03‎ ‎10‎:‎37‎:‎48‎, son-goku5 said:

I can write fast. It's more a question of available time. Also, when I wrote Chapter 25 (the one with 33k words), I was in such a zone, if you will, that when I stopped writing to go to the bathroom, I noticed that it was three in the morning.

Wow, I can't imagine writing 33 k in one sitting.  You must have been really "in the zone".  I'm impressed.    Do you write other stuff, or have you mainly stuck to fan fiction?  I wrote my chapter 9 of my story in one sitting, but it took me about five hours (almost 5 k words).  I don't think I write near as fast as you!  ha ha.  One day, I'd like to write a story with all original characters.  My story right now has a lot of OC's, and I've had a lot of fun developing them.

Do you find reviews are down lately?  Christmastime?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nibbler747 said:

Wow, I can't imagine writing 33 k in one sitting.  You must have been really "in the zone".  I'm impressed.    Do you write other stuff, or have you mainly stuck to fan fiction?  I wrote my chapter 9 of my story in one sitting, but it took me about five hours (almost 5 k words).  I don't think I write near as fast as you!  ha ha.  One day, I'd like to write a story with all original characters.  My story right now has a lot of OC's, and I've had a lot of fun developing them.

Do you find reviews are down lately?  Christmastime?

It wasn't in one sitting. I wrote the chapter intermittently in about a week, just had that one time where I wrote roughly 15k words until 3 am.

I write mainly fanfiction, my second TBBT story is shorter, 3-4k words per chapter, I can write them down in an hour, sometimes two.

Some readers stopped reviewing, but that's mainly because of two chapters where I wrote something very tough to handle for diehard Lenny fans ^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why people "follow" completed fanfics.

I can understand why they "favorite" them, as, AIUI, favoriting is like a bookmark, allowing you to find the story again in the future, whereas following is, AIUI, a way to be notified when further chapters are published.

A completed fanfic won't have any more chapters published, so you won't get any notification emails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest sladenoddy
On 12/2/2015 at 7:49 AM, son-goku5 said:

Just asking ^^ Writers want to feel appreciated. And for me, since my M-rated story has surpassed 700k words so far, getting one review a chapter would cause me to wait a long time to feel the need to write another one ^^. The thing with blanket reviews at the end, you can't really touch on everything.

another way to gain satisfaction is to check the story stats on your user page. It always great pleasure when I see how many people have read my stories.

and I certainly love your story It's epic, in fact I wish the show showed more love between Leonard and Penny. stil we can't have it all ways.

On 11/8/2015 at 6:48 PM, kimbee73 said:

I was going to start a topic for this very issue but I saw this one and thought I would add to it. I haven't read all the way through but I don't always like to as I want to say my peace on an issue. As a writer I love my reviews and I think that goes for all of us. Now as a Shamy shipper I have some great followers/reviewers but recently I began reading some stories outside of the ship(okay I will admit....I read Shenny). Anyway, I found a challenge that they had set up and I thought it was kind of creepy and weird but the more I read the stories the more I thought the writers were very talented. I left reviews. I started getting hate PMs from fellow Shamy shippers(which I have since worked out so no calling anyone out) telling me that if I was going to like them then I guess I would then want to write them.

I realized this prompt was for Halloween so I tried my hand. The prompt wanted us to kill off Leonard and Amy(I know....I said it was creepy) but anyway I used episode two as my backdrop and what if the dream wasn't actually Leonard's. So knowing what the Shenny shippers had gotten from their reviews I expected the worst.

No one was really harsh, both from the Shamy and Shenny camp, except one who called me an attention whore. It to me was clear that the person hadn't read it. So I decided to call out all guest reviews who couldn't be bothered enough to add a name to their hate in my latest chapter of When Sheldon met Amy.

Two of the first reviews were awful.....someone called me a twelve year old and that my story wasn't that big of a twist. I was also called a trashy faker. These reviews were deleted and I now have to go and filter my guest reviews.

Please hear me....and I don't think this applies to everyone on here:
We are people with real feelings and when you write and tell people they are delusional, stupid, fake and such.....or worse tell a person they should kill themselves....it is ridiculous.

I can handle hate of the story but hate on me makes no sense.....

I wanted to try and write something outside of my comfort zone much like some of you did after the season 7 finale and while I didn't read them all some of them were really good and I understood a really good story. I think if we all just take the time to read why some people ship different couples you may understand why they write the stories.

A good writer is a good writer no matter what the ship. This is my opinion. I will not apologize for reviews I leave on a good story. I leave stories I don't like alone....I try and remember that we all have feelings.

Thank you for starting this thread and I now feel so much better after ranting on more than one forum.

what annoyed me most about the halloween was the failure by many writers on this Idea to state character names. I appreciate those that state Shenny in their introduction but in order for the filter to work it needs to state the Sheldon character. really how is the filter system supposed to work if people fail to state the characters. (including writers of all ships), I hate Shenny and would prefer to filter him (Sheldon) out. conversely some may wish to read Shenny and could miss reading a story they like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, sladenoddy said:

 

what annoyed me most about the halloween was the failure by many writers on this Idea to state character names. I appreciate those that state Shenny in their introduction but in order for the filter to work it needs to state the Sheldon character. really how is the filter system supposed to work if people fail to state the characters. (including writers of all ships), I hate Shenny and would prefer to filter him (Sheldon) out. conversely some may wish to read Shenny and could miss reading a story they like. 

Oh I completely understand this.....and stating that in a review is not a bad thing....it is the reviews that tell someone to rot in hell because they have a different ship. I will admit, I love reading all the stories no matter who is with who if the writing is well done. Shenny is a guilty pleasure but to each his own and I respect that you don't want to read them. But I also know you don't anonymously review stories....I see your name on the reviews even in Shenny stories so you at least give someone an opportunity to respond.

My story did have all the characters so I added all them. Mine didn't end up Shenny so it didn't matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 15.12.2015 at 9:52 PM, sladenoddy said:

another way to gain satisfaction is to check the story stats on your user page. It always great pleasure when I see how many people have read my stories.

and I certainly love your story It's epic, in fact I wish the show showed more love between Leonard and Penny. stil we can't have it all ways.

Story stats only say how many people have opened the chapter, it's not automatic that they read them. My first chapter (understandably) has more than 33k hits, but that's normal because everyone clicking on it lands on chapter 1.

But then, I don't know if I can believe that stat anyway. According to the Views page, my current chapter 56 has 9 views but 10 reviews, but to write a review, you had to view the chapter

Edited by son-goku5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I really dislike how the FF site won't simply address when they are having an issue with a short blurb on their home page.  Like: " We know we are having an issue with the review function and are working on resolving it."  At least all the countless writers on their would know whats going on, and not spam them with emails.  Emails to the admins seem to go into a black hole....  I'm not going to bother posting any updates, til they fix the issue, because I like reading the reviews on there also.  Lol...that has nothing to do with the fact that I haven't written a word since before Christmas...ha ha!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely agree. Whenever there's a technical issue, there's never a statement whatsoever. The admins of FFN ignore their users so completely, it borders on indifference. Also, they delete your stories sometimes with no apparent reason, only citing the paragraph you allegedly violated which sometimes includes several things you might have done wrong.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I received my first anonymous hater guest review... In a story I finished over a year ago. It was filled with swearing and non-constructive criticism. Why does someone bother to read your whole story, 10 chapters, to get to the end and say it was pure crap? Anyway, as this person felt free to say whatever he/she wanted, I also felt free to delete it and not have a crappy "review" in my story. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, karyshamy said:

I received my first anonymous hater guest review... In a story I finished over a year ago. It was filled with swearing and non-constructive criticism. Why does someone bother to read your whole story, 10 chapters, to get to the end and say it was pure crap? Anyway, as this person felt free to say whatever he/she wanted, I also felt free to delete it and not have a crappy "review" in my story. 

 

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I think it is awful that someone could be hateful about someone else's hard work. If your story wasn't something they wanted to read, why do so in the first place?

It strikes me that some people, unfortunately, are only happy in tearing down what someone else has built. In this case, something that you built from within yourself. I believe is says far more about that reviewer than it does you.

I'm glad you took down the review. Continue to be strong, @karyshamy. As my mother would say, "Consider the source..."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm so sorry this happened to you! I think it is awful that someone could be hateful about someone else's hard work. If your story wasn't something they wanted to read, why do so in the first place?

It strikes me that some people, unfortunately, are only happy in tearing down what someone else has built. In this case, something that you built from within yourself. I believe is says far more about that reviewer than it does you.

I'm glad you took down the review. Continue to be strong, @karyshamy. As my mother would say, "Consider the source..."

Thank you for your kind words, Becky.

These kind of people really don't have any idea of the effort it takes to write and conclude a story. Or maybe he/she sucks at writing and likes to diminish other people's work to feel superior.

Anyway, it's just sad the fact that this person lacks the minimum knowledge of how to review something properly, how to write negative criticism in a polite way, how to express oneself without swearing. I'm not a native English speaker, but I believe that what I've learned about writing a critical text does not depend on the language. He/She also probably doesn't understand the meaning of the word respect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 09/03/2016 at 2:29 AM, karyshamy said:

I received my first anonymous hater guest review... In a story I finished over a year ago. It was filled with swearing and non-constructive criticism. Why does someone bother to read your whole story, 10 chapters, to get to the end and say it was pure crap? Anyway, as this person felt free to say whatever he/she wanted, I also felt free to delete it and not have a crappy "review" in my story. 

 

I've had my fair share of swearing and overly harsh criticism so i just set my guest filter on and delete the more sweary ones

 

Don't let it get to you

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.  I've had my fair share of swearing and overly harsh criticism so i just set my guest filter on and delete the more sweary ones

 

Don't let it get to you

 

Thanks, Rachel! I miss your stories, by the way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 2:35 AM, karyshamy said:

 

 

Thank you for your kind words, Becky.

These kind of people really don't have any idea of the effort it takes to write and conclude a story. Or maybe he/she sucks at writing and likes to diminish other people's work to feel superior.

Anyway, it's just sad the fact that this person lacks the minimum knowledge of how to review something properly, how to write negative criticism in a polite way, how to express oneself without swearing. I'm not a native English speaker, but I believe that what I've learned about writing a critical text does not depend on the language. He/She also probably doesn't understand the meaning of the word respect.

Could you tell from the "review" whether they actually read the whole thing, or maybe they just had some issue and just posted that hateful review to be a smarta$$.

Some people seem to react to the story premise or whatever.  Or they have some other personal issue.  Some people love to be rude and stupid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you tell from the "review" whether they actually read the whole thing, or maybe they just had some issue and just posted that hateful review to be a smarta$$.

Some people seem to react to the story premise or whatever.  Or they have some other personal issue.  Some people love to be rude and stupid.

He/She read the story, because not only had he/she commented on the epilogue as well as he/she mentioned parts if the story and the ending. That is what intrigued me the most. Why bother to read the whole thing if you hated it?

>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.