902 The Separation Oscillation (September 28)

Tripper

What did you think of "The Separation Oscillation"?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate the episode?

• Excellent
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Okay
    • Bad
    • Very Bad

Huh? So fans have to like everything that happens on the show, no matter what?

The opening was specifically about Leonard and coming to grips with him kissing Mandy. Most people had their minds made up not to like the scene and not thinking how it related to the storyline. If there was something to complain about in the episode it was Raj whining to Howard that he kept secrets from him.

• Like 1

I didn't suggest this...this was suggested by the original poster.  I find it hard to believe they are trying to appease Shenny fans as well...but I really  don't know what is in the head of the writers.  They continue to baffle me with some of their choices.

I'm not baffled at all.  I think that it all makes perfect sense.

I think that when people have some predetermined idea of what they think the writers should be doing, then they can't accept the story that is actually being told, or the way it is being told.

• Like 2

The opening was specifically about Leonard and coming to grips with him kissing Mandy. Most people had their minds made up not to like the scene and not thinking how it related to the storyline. If there was something to complain about in the episode it was Raj whining to Howard that he kept secrets from him.

I'm sorry I don't see how it was related to Leonard kissing Mandy. He is not a child he knows what he did was wrong. Why go there. Like I said before it was only done for the reaction and fuel the shenny çrowd. Dream or nightmare it's now canon. Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I'm sorry I don't see how it was related to Lenny kissing Mandy. He is not a child he knows what he did was wrong. Why go there. Like I said before it was only done for the reaction and fuel the shenny çrowd. Dream or nightmare it's now canon. Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I'm never understood who the Shenny crowd is? What does fueling the Shenny do? do they only watch for Shenny moments?If so they haven't seen that many episodes. The opening of the episode continued from episode 1. Leonard knew what he did wrong but didn't know how to fix things.Penny had problems getting The kiss out of her mind. Leonard felt bad. it isn't the first time he has over analyzed the situation. Thus he had a dream/nightmare of Penny kissing the last guy he talked to. Sheldon. The nightmare made him have a continuing dialog with Penny about how to make her feel better about the situation. thus he talked to Mandy. She didn't remember anything and actually helped Leonard by talking it out (though she wasn't listening and really didn't care) Thus by the end of the episode Lenny had resolved the problem. If he hadn't had the dream/nightmare I'm not sure the situation would of been resolved.

• Like 7

Thought it was a very good and funny episode.

I made it home in time to see it from the beginning. :icon_cheesygrin:

As surprising as the new direction to this season is this show excels in the unexpected. They make it work.

If the story was predictable it would not be half as interesting. 

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 8

I'm never understood who the Shenny crowd is? What does fueling the Shenny do? do they only watch for Shenny moments?If so they haven't seen that many episodes. The opening of the episode continued from episode 1. Leonard knew what he did wrong but didn't know how to fix things.Penny had problems getting The kiss out of her mind. Leonard felt bad. it isn't the first time he has over analyzed the situation. Thus he had a dream/nightmare of Penny kissing the last guy he talked to. Sheldon. The nightmare made him have a continuing dialog with Penny about how to make her feel better about the situation. thus he talked to Mandy. She didn't remember anything and actually helped Leonard by talking it out (though she wasn't listening and really didn't care) Thus by the end of the episode Lenny had resolved the problem. If he hadn't had the dream/nightmare I'm not sure the situation would of been resolved.

They are married they would have eventually sorted out their issues. Penny was hurting but she loves her man would have got over it. It just remìnds me of what teenagers will do. You kissed someone else so I'll do the same. Sheldon is hurting about the shamy break up. Isn't that a dream sequence of Amy kissing a guy a wake up call for him to realises Amy's worries instead of some stupid kiss that makes no sense because the writers say one minute they are like sibling the next minute they are.... wrong in so many world's. Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

They are married they would have eventually sorted out their issues. Penny was hurting but she loves her man would have got over it. It just remìnds me of what teenagers will do. You kissed someone else so I'll do the same. Sheldon is hurting about the shamy break up. Isn't that a dream sequence of Amy kissing a guy a wake up call for him to realises Amy's worries instead of some stupid kiss that makes no sense because the writers say one minute they are like sibling the next minute they are.... wrong in so many world's. Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

but that's just the thing. Penny wasn't planning on getting even. It was all in Leonard's mind. it has always been in His mind that Penny could get any guy she wanted. I was with someone who watched the episode and was shocked when she saw the kiss but understood how it related to the last two episodes. It's always been with Lenny that Penny was too pretty and Leonard was too smart. I think this episode put that to rest. In regards to Shamy there's never really been anyone else for Amy and Sheldon. I don't see how you could compare the two couples.

• Like 4

Sheldon and Penny assessed their relationship as siblings.  LEONARD was having a nightmare about what the options might be and it was Sheldon in his dream because of how Sheldon is always inserting himself in the conversations L/P have when they're in 4A.  So the nightmarish idea was the idea that the way to solve the problem was for Penny to kiss another man, to even the score and restore equilibrium.

I think the dialog and action were a combination of what Leonard knows about the way Sheldon thinks and what would be the worst possible solution with the worst possible candidate.

• Like 8

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode and I thought the kiss between Sheldon and Penny in the dream sequence was hilarious. It just gave us a glimpse of what Sheldon is going to do to Amy when he gets his hands back on her :derisive:

The Lenny scenes were good too. They both were having their doubts  for various reasons and used this kiss as the escape goat. Luckily, it wasn't dragged out. 

Howard and Raj... it's been a while since they showed us any 'bromance'... it was cute. I wish they would show just a bit more of Howard and Bernadette.There's lots of comedy there too to exploit. 

Finally, the Shamy scenes were funny too. Sheldon is going cuoko over this break up and it's just funny to see how he is coping with it. However, I am getting the feeling that something might have happened at that sleepover which might have something to do with this break....

of course... this is just my opinion. :scratchhead:

• Like 1

I`m sorry that the old thread got lost.

Back to the episode: Leonards nightmare was fun *LOL* I was amused. (Oh and that reminds me of an interview with Kaley back in 2011, it was taken in the summer hiatus after her phtoshoot for vegas magazine or in a break. And she talked about Shenny on one point and said they that might be in a nightmare sequence down the line that those two would be together and now it happend in Leonards nightmare).

Howard and Raj were fun to watch. Love those two since the pilot and I crackship them so hard.

And I loved that Penny and Leonard made up it was very sweet! And he called her Penny Hofstadter! Loved it!

Oh and I was happy to see Fun With Flags back. Loved Sheldon holding that bra  and it turned out to be Pennys and as he gave it back to her I loved her reation *LOL* and his wedding gift to Penny and Leonard was very beautiful! So sweet of him!

And I loved the tag scene.

• Like 1

Okay I have tried not to read everyone else's opinion about the show until after I have stated mine but sometimes it is really hard.

So here is my opinion and my opinion alone. Everyone is entitled to like or dislike any or all of this particular episode. To me it doesn't mean you are not a fan.

I personally found this episode thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish....much better in my opinion than last week's episode. I thought the kiss was hysterical and my Father in Law whom I watch the show with saw it coming from a mile away. he said and I quote "Why do I think he is going to grab her and kiss her" right before it happened. We laughed at how ridiculous it was. It was there for shock value and to show that Leonard still has his hang ups about being with Penny.

I am going to tackle the two main storylines individually.....

Lenny:

They are clearly in love. These issues that they had are nothing new. Penny was insecure about losing Leonard to someone smarter when Alex came along. Leonard is always having to justify a woman as beautiful or hot as the director called her being with him. So this kiss and the talk with Mandy helped Leonard understand that. I did love the fact that she didn't even remember it....clearly she was having a good time on that boat. Their make up to me was so them. And he ended it by saying Penny Hofstadter will you stay married to me was absolutely perfect. I loved this storyline.

Shamy:

Clearly she is still confused. What she did last week was not in her plan. The Skype call proved that to me. She told him that his constant pestering is not helping her think. She needs her space and Sheldon is not helping. He is clearly going through the stages of grief.....denial(last week) anger/lashing and bargaining(FWF) out this week. What will happen next week who knows but it doesn't look like they are in it together next week so maybe a reprieve. I believe there may be some depression and acceptance then a reconciliation but who knows. Anyway....his obvious sexual innuendos did not go over well with Amy. But clearly he is thinking about it(Eggs with expiration dates, the FWF references, the baby of FWF) He clearly wants her back, she clearly isn't sure what she wants but I think she doesn't really want to be broken up. The bra was funny and the scene with Penny and wanting more information made me laugh.

Lenny/Sheldon:

I think the San Francisco trip was bought for him and Amy then he remembered it and added Leonard's name on one of the plane tickets. Knowing Leonard wouldn't go without Penny he then bought her a ticket to go as well. This again my opinion as we may never hear about this trip again. I believe that Sheldon was truly trying to help with getting them back together with the whole talk to Mandy thing. I don't think he was trying to mess things up.

Howard/Bernadette/Raj:

They didn't have much except that Raj was upset Howard and Bernadette knew about Mandy. Bernadette cracked me up trying to keep the lie in check. Raj/Howard back and forth was funny and classic for them.

All in all I loved this episode and will have no problems watching it again and again.

This is just my opinion and I respect all the others on here who may disagree with my assessment.

best post I read about the episode. IMO

• Like 1

I thought this was an excellent episode. I laughed several times, and I have to say, it's been a while since I've done that with a new episode. They made up for last week and I hope it continues. The Lenny moments were sweet and shamy was hilarious. I love seeing Sheldon squirm. This should get interesting as he misses her more and more .

• Like 2

Unlike last week, I actually laughed out loud a few times this week. The kiss was hilarious, especially how overacted it was. And Leonard's "what is happening?!" and then "wake up, wake up" made it all even better. Can't wait for my friends' reactions for this scene, since they have no idea what's coming.
Happy to see FWF back and on a personal note I gotta say, I have never been more excited about someone mentioning my country. :haha: Angry Amy, Sheldon trying to win his girl back by being the jerk only he can be and all the double meanings, just brilliant! 
As for Lenny, I just really hope this solves that ridiculous plot once and for all. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Mandy again, she was great, lol.

• Like 3

Laughed a lot at this episode, which is a huge plus. I've said what I want to say in the Shamy thread about Shamy and the Shenny kiss, so I'll just put this about Lenny here:

That was the most mature conversation I've ever seen them have - sharing vulnerable feelings and not skipping past them. Penny was the one who came over and who wanted to talk - and the girl NEVER wants to talk. I still think it resolved and skipped off to the bedroom too quickly, and I'm still annoyed that once again Leonard lists off Penny's qualities that he's in love with and it's nothing but....you're so hot. Penny has many good qualities; why doesn't he ever, EVER tell her that she's sweet and kind and funny and his rock and support? Why is it always: my feelings of insecurity and love for you all pretty live and die on the fact you're hot, and this is the only quality about you that I have mentioned in relation to why I'm in love with you for years now.

Remember once when Leonard went on about how Penny was beautiful and sweet and kind and perfect and everything a man could ever want in a woman? Why does it now just end at beautiful? Where did the rest of that sentence go?

So, a leap forward for Penny and Leonard, maturity wise. They still have some deep-seated issues - at least at the whims of the writers - and they really need to add in more commentary from Leonard about all he sees in Penny other than her beauty. She probably needs to comment on more than his brains, too. "You're hot!" "You're brainy!" "ZOMG how do we deal with our obvious insecurities over those single defining personality hallmarks?!" <---- Oh come on, it's not just as shallow as all that, right?

Their relationship has been distilled down to that simplicity about their problems and their relationship, and it needs to be more. Do I believe that there's more? Yes but...I haven't heard it from either of them in a very long time. Still, seeing them sitting on the couch together, maturely and tenderly talking through the issue was a huge leap forward. I can't say I was all that impressed by Kaley's performance - this episode and the last really left me puzzled to why she felt so off in her performance - but now that details about her private life have come out I can see why she seemed subdued, and her heart just isn't in her performance. I hope that it'll come back as she gets past her divorce, but right now her usual sparkle seems dimmed to candle-wattage.

But my favorite line of the night:

Howard: You think you have problems with one wife? Try having two.

Great acknowledgement of that situation. And personally, I find the Raj/Howard/Bernadette situation - the real 3-way marriage - is so much funnier than trying to buy that Penny, Leonard and Sheldon have a 3-way marriage at this point in time; I'm just not buying that right now. It doesn't feel right; Penny and Leonard just got married, and they have things with the two of them they need to concentrate on. Sheldon has a million other plot lines he could do or explore; why refuse to let all 3 of them evolve and change in the directions that their lives and choices and interests are obviously taking them?

The 3 of them have been a dynamic that worked well in the past, but with Leonard and Penny actually married, and all the episodes spent last season hinting that they were working forward through to splitting Leonard and Sheldon up finally, it's just not funny or logical right now. Leonard and Penny might be married, but they have some issues still and they should close ranks and bunker down together for a bit and work through them with no distractions like Sheldon to distract them. One 3-way marriage, where a guy can't quite give up his best buddy, has some jokes and humor about it to mine. But two of them at the same time?

There's so much potential material to mine with all of these characters and two of these "we can't move on from our bromances" thing is beyond old. Adding to the problem is the fact that they all have gotten older, and this season it's really visible that these are not the same 20-something boys we once new, but 30-somethings who can't really carry off boyish charm with the faces and bodies of middle-aged men. Howard and Raj's series of lame sexual innuendo played differently, and more poorly, for me than it might have in the past. From horny, single, young manboys with little social sophistication, it might have seemed appropriately in character and funny. From the two of them as they are now, married or in committed relationships and clearly hitting middle age, it's far more creepy and the misogyny is more insidious and unflattering.

Enjoyed the humor, but really wanting for the show to take a revolutionary step forward it needs. Unlike IWD, stuff does get old to me, and it's annoying to waste time on what you've already done and where you have already been when there's actually so many interesting plot lines and stories that are right there, waiting to be told.

Edited by Lionne
  • Like 2

Laughed a lot at this episode, which is a huge plus. I've said what I want to say in the Shamy thread about Shamy and the Shenny kiss, so I'll just put this about Lenny here:

That was the most mature conversation I've ever seen them have - sharing vulnerable feelings and not skipping past them. Penny was the one who came over and who wanted to talk - and the girl NEVER wants to talk. I still think it resolved and skipped off to the bedroom too quickly, and I'm still annoyed that once again Leonard lists off Penny's qualities that he's in love with and it's nothing but....you're so hot. Penny has many good qualities; why doesn't he ever, EVER tell her that she's sweet and kind and funny and his rock and support? Why is it always: my feelings of insecurity and love for you all pretty live and die on the fact you're hot, and this is the only quality about you that I have mentioned in relation to why I'm in love with you for years now.

Remember once when Leonard went on about how Penny was beautiful and sweet and kind and perfect and everything a man could ever want in a woman? Why does it now just end at beautiful? Where did the rest of that sentence go?

So, a leap forward for Penny and Leonard, maturity wise. They still have some deep-seated issues - at least at the whims of the writers - and they really need to add in more commentary from Leonard about all he sees in Penny other than her beauty. She probably needs to comment on more than his brains, too. "You're hot!" "You're brainy!" "ZOMG how do we deal with our obvious insecurities over those single defining personality hallmarks?!" <---- Oh come on, it's not just as shallow as all that, right?

Agree with that. I would like them to share what they love about each other beside the "Beauty and the Brain" thing. Maybe, that could be dealt with this season now they are married.

Enjoyed the humor, but really wanting for the show to take a revolutionary step forward it needs. Unlike IWD, stuff does get old to me, and it's annoying to waste time on what you've already done and where you have already been when there's actually so many interesting plot lines and stories that are right there, waiting to be told.

Any ideas on what these could be?

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode and I thought the kiss between Sheldon and Penny in the dream sequence was hilarious. It just gave us a glimpse of what Sheldon is going to do to Amy when he gets his hands back on her :derisive:

The Lenny scenes were good too. They both were having their doubts  for various reasons and used this kiss as the escape goat. Luckily, it wasn't dragged out. 

Howard and Raj... it's been a while since they showed us any 'bromance'... it was cute. I wish they would show just a bit more of Howard and Bernadette.There's lots of comedy there too to exploit. 

Finally, the Shamy scenes were funny too. Sheldon is going cuoko over this break up and it's just funny to see how he is coping with it. However, I am getting the feeling that something might have happened at that sleepover which might have something to do with this break....

of course... this is just my opinion. :scratchhead:

That is when he wanted to invade her southern border...

• Like 4

Great to see Pennard reconciled and the way they psychologised it and also great to see they left Leonard's mum out of the psychologising but using Mandy.

The Howaraj moments felt too much like fillers for time and went nowhere. 

Never thought I'd say this, but, quite expectant to see how Shamy pans out. 

The highlight for me was, Penny now has a last name!

Other loves: the living arrangement is still left ambiguous, Bernadette being Bernadette, comic book shop becomes the hangout now there is no more cheesecake factory, and the couch section in the comic book shop.

• Like 2

Their relationship has been distilled down to that simplicity about their problems and their relationship, and it needs to be more. Do I believe that there's more? Yes but...I haven't heard it from either of them in a very long time. Still, seeing them sitting on the couch together, maturely and tenderly talking through the issue was a huge leap forward. I can't say I was all that impressed by Kaley's performance - this episode and the last really left me puzzled to why she felt so off in her performance - but now that details about her private life have come out I can see why she seemed subdued, and her heart just isn't in her performance. I hope that it'll come back as she gets past her divorce, but right now her usual sparkle seems dimmed to candle-wattage.

Because there is nothing more to their relationship....and it is that shallow....

Leonard is with penny because she is hot....thats it...

Penny is with Leonard because he is safe......she even implied so in the beginning.........and once again she could'nt look more bored in the "heart to heart" scene with leonard......seriously what is up with the actresss.....

as for the other attributes of Penny ..... I guess one day Sheldon or anyone else will list those out to everyone......but surely not leonard......for him all he sees is hotness.....

And their story was the most boring part of show............insecurity again....really can't have a new thing.....

coming to the episode......this was funnier than the premier.....

its even more harder to stomach the fact that bernie also kept that a secret from penny for 2 years..... 

and if amy does not want to talk to sheldon........can't she just ignore his skype calls and mails.....what an idiot......

Edited by vasu

Because there is nothing more to their relationship....and it is that shallow....

Penny is with Leonard because he is safe......she even implied so in the beginning.........and once again she could'nt look more bored in the "heart to heart" scene with leonard......seriously what is up with the actresss.....

as for the other attributes of Penny ..... I guess one day Sheldon or anyone else will list those out to everyone......but surely not leonard......for him all he sees is hotness.....

And their story was the most boring part of show............insecurity again....really can't have a new thing.....

its even more harder to stomach the fact that bernie also kept that a secret from penny for 2 years.....

and if amy does not want to talk to sheldon........can't she just ignore his skype calls and mails.....what an idiot......

So, do you even like this show?  Or any of the actors or characters?

• Like 2

lenny_topit.thumb.gif.00fdf908b46da76d57

:icon_rolleyes:

• Like 1

lenny_topit.thumb.gif.00fdf908b46da76d57

:icon_rolleyes:

Veejay you seem to be an expert in these animated pics .... Can u do me a favor and put two animated pics of Penny saying that is the most beautiful thing she heard .... Something along those lines ... From this episode and the episode where Leonard gives her snowflake thingy ....

I think you'll see the difference