The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kathy2611

What Do You Do for a Living?

Today a couple of people were commenting on the latest taping report and they mentioned they had to go to work.  And it got me curious.  If you don't mind revealing it on here, what does everybody do for a living?  Not necessarily where you work....just what is it you do?

Me?  I'm a relay operator for the deaf, hard of hearing, and speech impaired.  For those in America, have you ever seen the letters TTY/TDD next to a phone number?  That means it's for deaf/speech impaired people.  They call that number and we help them make their phone calls.

• Like 7

Legal assistant (primarily family law and will/probate but deal with a little bit of everything) and all around Jill of all trades (master of none) 

• Like 7

I work in sharedealing and deal with the client sales, have been doing this since May last year and before that I worked for a book publishers for 11 years

Here's an example of one of the books they publish and sell

(I only found this last night, forgot I had it)

IMG_20151001_060408.jpg

• Like 8

I work as a secretary for a company that recycles clothes and textiles (for textile production as well as charity), and I also work part time as a private tutor (English and Social Science). Before that I was a train conductor! Needless to say, Sheldon and I would have a lot to talk about... =)

• Like 8

I'm An endangered species known as the Australian male primary ( elementary) school teacher, one of two surrounded by a sea of 50 ( albeit delightful) women in my school. I'm also the maths leader and a freelance Trivia Night host

one of the reasons I love this forum so much is the behaviour of the members reminds me so much of my classrooms over the last 28 years! 

I love this, my son is a second grade teacher here in the US.  Same situation, just as rare here at the elementary school level.

I was the Director of Financial Aid at a mid-western university...I took an early retirement last fall after 23 years in that field.

• Like 6

I'm a call center agent and it is full of stress but I want to help customers with their problems. Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 6

I'm a pest to society. Lol. And my second job is Web Support Engineer. :) Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• Like 9

I work in an American company here in Germany, a mail order business, doing many translations and being resposible for communication. I sometimes call myself the Uhura of the company. ;-)

• Like 6

I'm a Certified Veterinary Technician that has worked  for the past 15 years in the ICU at a large Veterinary specialty practice. We have surgeons, ophthalmology, oncology, internal medicine, cardiology, dermatology, an emergency department and CT/MRI. Primarily cats and dogs.

• Like 9

I'm a Clinical Research Manager in Metabolic Genetics. I run (under a physician's supervision) research studies for people who were born with genetic disorders that impact their metabolism.

Basically there are dozens of disorders that can affect how the body processes certain nutrients, and people with a metabolic disorder need to avoid the particular nutrient that their body can't process. They may have to follow a very restrictive diet (like never eating protein... no animal products, legumes, grains, etc.) and/or take medications in order to survive. We run research studies that are testing new diet products or medications, and also data collection studies that aim to look at the efficacy of treatments or diagnosis procedures, and also the long term outcomes of the disorders.

• Like 7

For (15) years I have served a dual role of Financial Controller and HR Administration for the US Division of a European company.   I have a Bachelor's degree in English/Journalism.   My career took a turn after I graduated from College when for some reason I decided I didn't want to write anymore.   Thanks to this forum, I've rediscovered my passion.

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 4

I spend my time basking in my former glory. Yup, that sounds better than, "I do a whole lot of nothing". Even though I've gotten very good at it in the last 10 years.

I like TENSOR's answer: I'm "medically retired". My outlet is my posting, and I do have the title of THE WATCHER that I take very seriously (LOL) on a very wonderful site. 

Edited by walnutcowboy
IT WAS TIME FOR AN UPDATE !
  • Like 8

I work in education. In the province in which I live, homeschool families must register their kids/students with a school board and the board sends a  "homeschool facilitator" (me) to visit each family twice per year. (All homeschool facilitators have a B.Ed. and, at my board, all are experienced homeschool parents as well). I have 80 students this year and am just starting my fall visits.

I see what the kids are learning, what activities they are in, make suggestions re: curriculum and write an official report (that goes in their permanent student file) for each visit. I LOVE my job because I meet all kinds of interesting kids and families. This year, one of my families is travelling with kids and dog all over North America in an RV (what an awesome way to learn history/geography!); another of my students, a legally blind teen, has raised money and travels to less-well-off countries to train other visually-impaired kids on how to use iPads and other technology--he's gotten support from Brett Wilson of Dragons Den, been invited as a guest speaker at events ranging from golf charities to Tedx; another of my students runs her own ETSY shop altering/customizing vintage clothing (she's just turned 15); and there's the usual gamut of geeky kids, artsy kids, athletic kids, kids working in the trades, etc. I feel like I learn as much from visiting my families as they do from me. I find my job very inspiring (just wish it paid a bit better and had benefits and such like regular teacher jobs). :)

• Like 5