Who should be Sheldon's new girlfriend?

Stephen Hawking

Seeing Penny as a suitor for Sheldon means somehow getting over that huge firewall that the writers have built between the characters; Penny does not see Sheldon as a desirable adult male. To her he's an unformed, pre-sexual child, a dependent creature who can not function on his own, an irritating voice anxious to tell her of her short comings. She cares deeply for him because she feels he can't help being that way and is vulnerable to the world he does not wish to understand. And he's Leonard's friend. None of those Sheldon characteristics make him attractive to any normal women.

I think the original conception of Sheldon was brilliant and unique. He was conceived (mainly by Bill Prady, I believe) to be the opposing force to Penny in the tug of war for Leonard. He was the extraordinary male character on a TV sitcom who had no interest in cultivating a romantic relationship with any human. While the other males drooled over Penny, he went out of his way to insult her. He even touched her breast and saw her bottom and showed not that slightest arousal. Why? Because he was Sheldon, dammit, he didn't care in the least.

Trying to make Sheldon into a romantic male means completely redoing the character and he becomes just like every other guy in sitcom land.

But that's another story.

Totally agree with that. That was Vintage Sheldon. Now he's become Sheldumb - just another clownish, befuddled sitcom boyfriend.  "Growth".

• Like 5

I think Sheldon being gay is perfect, it would explain why he has acted so adverse to Amy romantically and it would allow him to go back to the way he was.  If would also allow Amy to be just his friend, so that they could interact as a team again, without the sexual tension. I   Making him gay would also make the critics look at the show again and might get them some deserved awards too.

• Like 2

Totally agree with that. That was Vintage Sheldon. Now he's become Sheldumb - just another clownish, befuddled sitcom boyfriend.  "Growth".

lol... good one ... haha

I think we are already into the phase of many episodes having the theme of feel sorry for poor old Sheldon... his girlfriend dumped his ... poor old sheldon.......

he was sheldumb long before he became a boyfriend.  I would think the shelbot episode made that clear as crystal.

image2.png

Edited by meka3000
  • Like 2

It would also allow Amy to be just his friend, so that they could interact as a team again, without the sexual tension.

But I want the Shamy coitus.

Also, I think the references to "invading southern borders" indicates he is carnally interested in Amy.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

• 2 weeks later...

Remember Bernadette and Howard's wedding - "the happiness I find with myself". But if Sheldon has to be paired off, he has plenty of chances, as we've seen. Martha the comic fan has been mentioned, but there was also Ramona the physics groupie and the Indian girl he took to dinner after Raj was so boorish.

But I'd like to see the writers earn their pay by figuring out a way to hook up Sheldon with Leslie Winkle. Every moment they're together is golden. She is, of course, the bracing, clean opposite to needy, pestering Amy.

But I want the Shamy coitus.

Also, I think the references to "invading southern borders" indicates he is carnally interested in Amy.

But it's a convention of TBBT that Sheldon is always unconscious of his sexual double-entendres.

That wouldn't be the writers, that would be the producers.  Sara Gilbert is an executive producer of, and stars in, the daily CBS talk show, "The Talk".   The producers would have to figure out a way to convincer her to appear, then the writers would have to come up with plot.  

The Mommy Observation reinforced that Sheldon is sex adversed. He did not want his widowed mother having sex with a man she is not married to thinking it hypocritical for a God fearing woman. That's pretty extreme.

And why would Penny as written want Sheldon for a partner? The show runner and the producers have hammered in the viewers head:

1. Penny is connected thru Leonard to Sheldon. Without Leonard there would have been no relationship at all. Imagine how long the first conversation would have been between the 21 year old Penny and the Dr. Wak-a-doodle if Leonard did not become Sheldon's roomate.

2. Penny has zero sexual interest in Sheldon. The writer's have literally been putting those words in her mouth since the start of the series. Just an example is her "I'll think of you" comment in season 2 as how she would suppress her libido. Sheldon is her weird "child" or little brother or has been suggested several times, her family pet.

3. Penny gets more from Leonard than just sex. Leonard worships her. He has her as the center of universe and tries hard not to enflame her insecurities. All the things Sheldon can't do. Notice that when they add a Shenny scene it does not effect canon in any way. 9.02's shenny kiss was a fantasy as was the laundry room seduction in Amy's tale. Malero admitts he puts in harmless Shenny visuals just to shock the regular fans and exite the Shenny fans. But he is careful to make sure they can leave no footprint on the story line.

the Shenny kiss scene was the writers taking a shot at how ridiculous Shenny is, it meant: 'Shenny is in your dreams, it will NEVER happen'

Penny has NEVER said anything in the show indicating a romantic interest in Sheldon, actually she indicated several times he 'is not the one'.  There is no romantic chemistry between them, they interface as either a brother and sister or as a mother and son, that is how the writers write them and again the writers had to explain it to the Shenny's in Season 8 with that love test episode.  

It makes more sense having Sheldon remain unattached, like the first several seasons.  I can't see how if Amy can't make it with him, how another woman could.

• Like 2

Sheldon should go back to being single. The relationship with Amy has completely sucked the life out of his character. I am already enjoying him way more then I have since S4. I like Amy, so she would still be valuable as she is fully integrated in the group. Sheldon and Penny never intended to have a romantic undertone, which is generally the reason you ship two characters who are not cannon.. I have no idea why anyone who watched the show, thought their was anything romantic in their scenes. I guess it is just ppl twisting things to suit their pre conceived notions, for what ever reason. I don't see the appeal of that dynamic but whatever. Sheldon and Penny is purley incest on every single level, if it was to go their, I guess Friends reference coming up, Joey and Rachel had tons in common Sheldon and Penny do not. That ship sailed years ago, not sure why were still discussing it. It is the closeted boy girl relationship, very brother and sister. Leonard and Penny is the typical romantic boy meets girl. Different chemistries, wish that would of been established earlier on.

• Like 1

Shifting from t5he question of whom Sheldon would be funniest with to what sort of life partner a guy like that needs, the woman should be complementary to Sheldon. First she needs to be very sensible and mature and normal (so it's obviously not Amy!). She needs to appreciate Sheldon's brilliance but not be in awe of him, but rather to be able to act as his career manager. She must be fully aware of his problems and eccentricities and strong enough to deal with them. As it happens Mrs Davis the CalTech head of HR fits the bill, but of course there also has to be some spark between Sheldon and his mate that is never going to happen with those two. And they wouldn't be at all funny.

Shifting from t5he question of whom Sheldon would be funniest with to what sort of life partner a guy like that needs, the woman should be complementary to Sheldon. First she needs to be very sensible and mature and normal (so it's obviously not Amy!). She needs to appreciate Sheldon's brilliance but not be in awe of him, but rather to be able to act as his career manager. She must be fully aware of his problems and eccentricities and strong enough to deal with them. As it happens Mrs Davis the CalTech head of HR fits the bill, but of course there also has to be some spark between Sheldon and his mate that is never going to happen with those two. And they wouldn't be at all funny.

it really sounds like you described a care-giver, not life partner.  A normal person would not be able to put up with Sheldon 24/7, his need to be superior and have everything done his way would drive a normal person away.  You describe what his mate would have to adjust to, the problem is a normal person would want a mate that meets them half way, that is why Sheldon will never have a normal relationship and why Amy, who is more normal than him, does want him to give a little.

• Like 3

it really sounds like you described a care-giver, not life partner.  A normal person would not be able to put up with Sheldon 24/7, his need to be superior and have everything done his way would drive a normal person away.  You describe what his mate would have to adjust to, the problem is a normal person would want a mate that meets them half way, that is why Sheldon will never have a normal relationship and why Amy, who is more normal than him, does want him to give a little.

One person's abnormal is another person's normal.

There are plenty of Sheldon's out there with loving partners like Amy.   We've even had several forum members who have provided their own life examples of how these types of relationships work and can be extremely happy.   They do in fact exist and are successful.

One person's abnormal is another person's normal.

There are plenty of Sheldon's out there with loving partners like Amy.   We've even had several forum members who have provided their own life examples of how these types of relationships work and can be extremely happy.   They do in fact exist and are successful.

not really, there is no person like Sheldon out there who lives a life anywhere like Sheldon does.  Sheldon is a exaggeration.  There are people that have one of the traits Sheldon has but there are no Sheldon's.  I can point out many times Sheldon would have been fired or locked up in the show, like when he hacks into Government computer systems, he is not Hillary Clinton, he would actually be locked up for a very long time for doing that.  And he would have been fired for sending out he solved string theory, from the artic expedition, without a valid paper with flawless proof.

however you are right about Amy, what is normal for Amy and Sheldon could be very abnormal for others, like Leonard and Penny, or Howard and Bernadette. 

Sheldon is not normal though, he is completely abnormal. I mean Amy is even normal compared to Sheldon. I think when it comes to Shamy, the writers have struggled to maintain Sheldon's abnormalities, but somehow make him function in a normal relationship. Kissing, hugging, coitus e.t.c. Are all normal aspects in a normal functioning relationship, as part of the segiest of a the convention of human construct. Sheldon never had any interest in any of this. As he said the only purpose for human construct, is procreation. Then Amy comes along and challenges his entire world view. But seeing he is abnormal, probably Dimisexual. At this point, considering all information, shoulden't he be jumping Amy's bones by now? This is because Sheldon does not see Sexual Chemistry/Tension the way a Leonard or Howard would. Well he ever? Sure but that means TPTB well need to change the entire Sheldon character, not sure TPTB are willing to do that. You can't have either all, balance is what I am referring to. So even if Shamy do reconcile, when it comes to the physical aspect, seeing it has been a very intellectual relationship, well that ever change? Unlikely.

• Like 1

They've invested all this time and energy in Shamy. I can't see how they'd make anyone else suitable for Sheldon at this point and have the audience be invested in it.

I've only started watching TBBT two months ago and I was gobsmacked when I found out that there are people who actually like the idea of Sheldon and Penny romantically. I love their relationship because the fact that they piss each other off makes for great comedy, but there's so many scenes that establish their relationship as sibling or mother/son or dog/owner like that the thought of them as a couple is just, well, unpleasant.

Plus, Penny is already married to the love of her life.