907 'The Spock Resonance' (November 5)

Tripper

Wil Wheaton is so versatile.  Just love him.

Agreed with others that it was nice to see the napkin make a reappearance. 

Howard and Mike was great.  Also liked the serious conversation between Howard and Bernie about having kids.

• Like 3

Episode got me thinking that what if Adam Nimoy's participation was known early on last year (around Leonard's death) and they created the Shamy break just for this episode.  Cuz something deep had to happen to make Sheldon admit that he had feelings. It just to perfect for Sheldon to be so upset and done hiding with his facade. 

• Like 1

Heartbreaking as it was, this was a good episode with some funny moments.   Loved seeing the emotion that Jim can put out in his acting.   It was nice to learn a bit more about Sheldon's background.

Enjoyed the whole bit with Howard and his father-in-law.    Bernie is getting on my nerves with her pushiness, though.

• Like 4

All I can say is it'll be the episode Jim should submit to back his Emmy nom that he'll ultimate go on to win.

It was definitely a milestone episode. For all except Raj maybe. Sheldon, Amy, Howardette all trying to look at the future in very different lights. Was nice. Tough to watch. But good. Progression but with the right amount of geekiness, just what we like

Edited by Amy Fowler
  • Like 8

Huge, HUGE episode!

Sheldon admitting that he has feelings and Howard and Bernadette are thinking about having kids! More angst than comedy again though :(

I know the scene where Sheldon goes to Amy's was meant to be serious but I could not stop laughing at Mayim having to stand on the step to be tall enough for all 6 foot 7 of Stephen Merchant to kiss her! :rofl:

• Like 8

I didn't like how Bernadette pushed Howard about the remodeling but I really felt for her vulnerability when the subject of a baby came up.

leonard and Penny seemed like a married couple the way they talked and kept together in the kitchen.

the thing with Sheldon is the drama was well done, but I wonder if we are going to get Shamy drama every episode in Season 9?  I wish they lay of the Shamy drama and let them be friends for a while.

• Like 5

I didn't like how Bernadette pushed Howard about the remodeling but I really felt for her vulnerability when the subject of a baby came up.

leonard and Penny seemed like a married couple the way they talked and kept together in the kitchen.

the thing with Sheldon is the drama was well done, but I wonder if we are going to get Shamy drama every episode in Season 9?  I wish they lay of the Shamy drama and let them be friends for a while.

I think Howdette fought to a draw by the end of their storyline. agree with the Lenny part. I liked the Sheldon storyline but the Shamy storyline is starting to be like beating a dead horse. like you said they should be friends for now.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 2

I think Howdette fought to a draw by the end of their storyline. agree with the Lenny part. I liked the Sheldon storyline but the Shamy storyline is starting to be like beating a dead horse. like you said they should be friends for now.

Yeah I agree, all this dragging out. It is getting uncomfortable to watch. Hope they get resolution soon, so they can be friends for now. Too much angst for BBT.

• Like 2

I like the whole play on the Wil / Will in the box.   I thought that was funny.  "You have a will?"  Pulls out mini Wil Wheaton.   I thought it was sweet the way Wil Wheaton got to see how important of a friend he has become to Sheldon, that Sheldon keeps his miniature locked in a safe with all his other valuables.

• Like 4

Great episode. Everyone got some good air time. Looking at the old pictures, that was not the same napkin used in season 2.

I thought that I read somewhere that they had auctioned the original signed napkin for charity.  Nimoy had actually been sent two napkins and asked for a signature, he sent one back signed.  I believe that in an interview Jim said that one was signed returned, the second napkin came back blank.  I believe that this one was a recreation.

I like the whole play on the Wil / Will in the box.   I thought that was funny.  "You have a will?"  Pulls out mini Wil Wheaton.   I thought it was sweet the way Wil Wheaton got to see how important of a friend he has become to Sheldon, that Sheldon keeps his miniature locked in a safe with all his other valuables.

Except for his Pop Tarts.....they are in the floor safe....

I thought that I read somewhere that they had auctioned the original signed napkin for charity.  Nimoy had actually been sent two napkins and asked for a signature, he sent one back signed.  I believe that in an interview Jim said that one was signed returned, the second napkin came back blank.  I believe that this one was a recreation.

Except for his Pop Tarts.....they are in the floor safe....

really like we are getting a little continuity to past episodes, the napkin and the reference to Penny stealing food from their apartment.

• Like 3

I'm surprised I laughed so much during this episode.  The scene with Howard and his father-in-law under the house was my favorite.  I also loved seeing Leonard and Penny totally in sync.  I only hope the writers let them be happily married and don't try to take them down the same path they took Sheldon and Amy.

Sheldon seeing Amy kiss Dave was awful and made my stomach churn for a moment.  Talk about cheap soap opera tropes!  Effective though.  Next week we'll see Sheldon actively moving on as well.  I hope at least some fans are enjoying the Shamy drama, since it seems most of us here aren't.

i think it's gonna be one of my all time fav TBBT episodes... Even though the kiss was so heartbreaking to watch. But i love it whenever Sheldon's showing emotions, and this episode was just perfect because of that on so many levels...

Also loved how he had a safe : D (That definitely shows how much he loves Lenny that he knew they had sex on the couch and could still sit there x D )

Loved Raj & Lenny, i thought everything about them was perfect in this ep

Didn't care much about Howardette, but Bernie's dad annoys me for some reason. 

Anyway, i'm gonna go rewatch the episode again & again & again...

• Like 3

A very lovely episode! It really let Jim shine. I'm actually really happy with the progression of the Shamy story, this episode really kicked it into high gear. Now Leonard and Penny know Sheldon's side of the story, giving him more to play off of. Plus, we not only know Amy has been dating, we've seen her date. I personally like that, because if when Shamy reunite, we'll know that Amy isn't just settling on Sheldon. She's played the field. She knows empirically Sheldon is who she wants to be with.

Also a great use of Wil Wheaton in the episode. Only the slightly evil Wil could get away with lightening the mood after sad Sheldon. Howard and Bernie having an actual adult conversation was nice, too.

I also loved that Sheldon talked about "The Galileo Seven"! That is one of my favorite episodes of Star Trek TOS. (I'm a sucker for Spock and Bones trying to logic/emotion at each other.) It also happens to be an episode where Spock takes a leap of faith/act of last resort and refuses to admit that he did it out of emotion and not logic. How Sheldon-esque!

And my squishy Shelnard heart went d'aaaaaw at Leonard making Sheldon a hot beverage at the end of the episode. It's the little things.

• Like 5

I was disappointed. While I found the bit about the wall safe, floor safe and camera funny, I'd seen most of that in the promo. Perhaps today my expectations were too high.

I had no interest at all in the Howard Bernadette storyline. 

The problem with the Spock reference is that so often Sheldon is nothing like Spock.

The-Big-Bang-Theory-funny-jokes--1390428

• Like 1

This episode was a bit drama-heavy for me (although the actors all did a great job). Especially the ending was painfully cliche, sad to say. He came by accidentally just as Amy kissed her date goodbye? What a coincidink. And as good as Jim is in his role, I think they have forgotten how to make a break-up both funny and heartfelt at the same time, which they have managed with other characters. If I wanted to watch a soap opera - and to much higher standards this break-up plot with its surprise end-of-seasons wedding rings doesn't really hold up -, I probably wouldn't turn to a comedy. I think it would have worked if the secondary plot had been a bit lighter, but Howardette were also discussing a rather touchy subject for many people.

On the plus side, I always do like Bernadette's father, and Wil and Raj were funny this episode. I also like that they've resumed writing Sheldon and Leonard as friends this season! They were a little too antagonistic lately. But as someone who's mainly with TBBT for the comedy, I probably won't rewatch this one.

• Like 1

Hmm yeah I can understand why some above may have been disappointed in the episode today. If you don't prefer Drama in BBT, and was disappointed due to high expectations. I think the drama was heavy because Sheldon is dealing with angst for the first time in his life. The reference Penny made to Spock, I Actually think describes Sheldon pretty well. He is in some ways a lot like Spock, but in some ways he is not. I think the Drama was necessary for the storyline, but I hope their is resolution soon. As I want the light hearted fluffy comedy back. I still thought their was a good blend of geekiness though, to balance it all out. Also maybe promos, taping reports e.t.c. Make ones expectations too high. Which is why I don't read taping reports anymore, and if I Can help it promos.

I think this was a fantastic episode.  I don't think it was cliche at all, or like a soap opera.  Was it a soap opera when Penny and Leonard broke up? Or when Raj got dumped by Lucy?  Or when Mrs. W died?

Though this story is taking a little longer to tell, IMO it's not "drawn out" or too long.  If they had broken up in one episode and gotten back together in the next, then it would have been pointless or nonsensical.  But since they are who they are, in terms of their intellectualism and their naiveté, I think it warrants more time to tell their story properly.

Sheldon seeing her at the end of her date gives us all the perfect visual shorthand to see where she may be at this point, especially in regard to their conversation in the stairwell.

It seems to me that this is indeed a tale of bad timing and miscommunication, but that's a staple of storytelling that's been around for hundreds of years.  Just ask Shakespeare.  And I think it was wonderfully executed, as well.

Episode got me thinking that what if Adam Nimoy's participation was known early on last year (around Leonard's death) and they created the Shamy break just for this episode.  Cuz something deep had to happen to make Sheldon admit that he had feelings. It just to perfect for Sheldon to be so upset and done hiding with his facade. 

I don't think the breakup was planned just for this episode.  I think they could just as easily have used Adam Nimoy and the documentary in some lighthearted way, without the breakup.

I think it's probably more about convenient timing.

• Like 3