The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

907 'The Spock Resonance' (November 5)

I didn't say bigger, just more complicated. 

They story hasn't be resolved because the resolution isn't that simple.  It's not a one-and-done kind of story, and there's nothing wrong with that.  

you said bigger and yes the solution is simple. Grow some balls and get a spine and apologize for all the things you've done wrong to Amy. not knowing any better isn't an excuse.

• Like 2

So for me, as a supposed Lenny, I am happy to call the Shamy breakup and resolution ( not necessarily the whole Shamy story) a BIGGER story than the Leonard and Penny breakup.

I'm not sure if it is a 'bigger' break up for me BUT from episode one I knew that Lenny were endgame so it wasn't a big deal when they broke up and ended up dating other people.

It was obvious that it would work out and they would end up together but not too fast, Shamy however I'm starting to have my doubts :( so this episode was super hard to watch even if it was wonderfully acted by everyone :)

you said bigger and yes the solution is simple. Grow some balls and get a spine and apologize for all the things you've done wrong to Amy. not knowing any better isn't an excuse.

I apologize for misremembering my comment and not going back to re-read it, but I think the assessment still stands.

It's not about Sheldon just going to Amy and saying, "I'm sorry I'm such a horrible person".  He wanted to talk about it after that first night, but she cut him off.  Then she didn't want to talk to him, which was understandable, since it had only been 11 hours.  But then once they actually broke up, she REALLY didn't want to talk to him, not even to let him apologize, it seems.  So, of course he reacted with anger.

How can he apologize for what he doesn't understand or recognize.  He's not like other people--and that's not an excuse, that's just the reality of his sensibilities.  He doesn't get sarcasm as readily as others, for instance.  So if Amy gets mad at him and uses sarcasm to try to make her point, it's going to go over his head.  Is that his fault?  Or hers, for going that way?

She may not want to have to spell things out for him, but that doesn't mean that she's going to have to in order to make him understand.  I don't personally feel like we're missing her POV, so much, but it's true that she's expecting Sheldon to infer or intuit things he cannot know.  Many couples have issues when one or the other expects the other to read their mind about hurts or wishes.  The wife wishes he would do something spontaneous and romantic, the husband has no idea she wants that, so he doesn't understand when she's pouting or whatever.  It's somewhat passive/aggressive, but it happens.

Now, Amy isn't always like that, but she can expect Sheldon to be like some "standard" type of boyfriend, complete with flowers and romance, etc..  Though Sheldon can sometimes come up with something that "warms her twaddle", he almost stumbles onto it, because he doesn't really have a frame of reference, except for what others tell him, or maybe what he's seen on TV or movies.  He's scarcely the only man on earth who isn't naturally romantic.

Anyway, she has essentially told him she doesn't want to talk to him, so how is he supposed to go over there and apologize to her?  If she doesn't want to hear it, what is he supposed to do?  Harass her?  Stalk her?

It's gotten more complicated than that--and the solution was never that simple.  How can he apologize when she wants him to leave her alone?

I'm not sure if it is a 'bigger' break up for me BUT from episode one I knew that Lenny were endgame so it wasn't a big deal when they broke up and ended up dating other people.

It was obvious that it would work out and they would end up together but not too fast, Shamy however I'm starting to have my doubts :( so this episode was super hard to watch even if it was wonderfully acted by everyone :)

It's not necessarily a bigger BREAKUP, as much as it requires a bigger, more complicated resolution.  They've gotten out of sync with each other, thinking one and then the other has moved on, causing the other to decide to try to move on.  And there's so much hurt, it's not just a matter of simple apologies, IMO.

Yes, they need to talk and could probably resolve it if they talked about the right things, but that doesn't mean they're going to be able to just sweep everything under the rug with an "I'm sorry" from Sheldon.

At this point, they've both hurt each other, and if Sheldon isn't ready to get past it, I think he has a right to feel that.  If Amy can feel hurt at how he's treated her, or how he's spoken to her, then I think he has a right to be hurt by her rejection of him as well.

• Like 5

After after I watched the episode again, I did enjoy it, there was something bugging me. Woke this morning and realised what it was, "Aquaman! Protecting your home since 2012", he didn't buy it until 2013 in The Deception Verification when he got fleeced by Stuart. Another strange timeline here.

image.png

image.png

• Like 4

Unless I missed something, Amy Farrah Fowler appeared for about two seconds in one scene without dialog, grossing the actress about $60,000.00 before taxes, agent's cut, etc.  Nice work if you can get it.  Just ignore me, I'm feeling a little envious.

• Like 1

Another thing I noticed. At the end, Howard asked Raj "Why are you still here." A cynical way to answer this question would be "So Raj would have a scene at all." ^^

• Like 1

Unless I missed something, Amy Farrah Fowler appeared for about two seconds in one scene without dialog, grossing the actress about $60,000.00 before taxes, agent's cut, etc.  Nice work if you can get it.  Just ignore me, I'm feeling a little envious.

Really?  That's what you think about?

Another thing I noticed. At the end, Howard asked Raj "Why are you still here." A cynical way to answer this question would be "So Raj would have a scene at all." ^^

Raj had other scenes in the episode.  He was in the cold open in the guys apartment, he was in the scene with Howard in the doing room when he was talking about whose side he was on, in the dining room while Bernie did her little tap dance, and then in the kitchen with all of them when they were all talking about having children.

Raj had other scenes in the episode.  He was in the cold open in the guys apartment, he was in the scene with Howard in the doing room when he was talking about whose side he was on, in the dining room while Bernie did her little tap dance, and then in the kitchen with all of them when they were all talking about having children.

I know. I was referring to the entire plot. His presence didn't really have any impact, so he basically was window dressing (probably to justify his paycheck ^^)

• Like 1

Poor Sheldon...starting to really dislike Amy for that. Hopefully seeing the documentary will open her eyes!:(

The episode is trending on FB right now.  Make me wonder about the +3 and +7 data.

What's the +3 and +7 data?

• Like 1

I know. I was referring to the entire plot. His presence didn't really have any impact, so he basically was window dressing (probably to justify his paycheck ^^)

Why are people so obsessed with the actors' paychecks?  They're all contracted to appear in every episode, regardless of whether or not they have any "important" scenes or whether or not they're simply supporting the other characters.  If he'd been given his own story, then everyone would be complaining about how they shouldn't try to cram three stories into one episode.

He had a role to play in those scenes as Howard's best friend.  He's been involved in the discussion about redecorating before, so why not now?

What's the +3 and +7 data?

It's the ratings numbers factoring in the DVR viewers who watch the show later in the week.  I think they measure at the 3 day and 7 day mark to try to get the total number.

After after I watched the episode again, I did enjoy it, there was something bugging me. Woke this morning and realised what it was, "Aquaman! Protecting your home since 2012", he didn't buy it until 2013 in The Deception Verification when he got fleeced by Stuart. Another strange timeline here.

image.png

image.png

I just assumed he had the camera installed into the figurine.

It's not the placement, it's the fact that Sheldon bought the figurine a year after he said that it protects the apartment since

Edited by son-goku5
  • Like 2

It's not the placement, it's the fact that Sheldon bought the figurine a year after he said that it protects the apartment since

True.  I guess that would have been 2013 instead of 2012.  My bad. 

True.  I guess that would have been 2013 instead of 2012.  My bad. 

it took me 3 viewings before I realised what was niggling my grey cells, I just wish they would get these simple little things right, it matters to some, or at least to me.

• Like 4

I loved the episode, it's what I've been hoping for i.e. Sheldon getting to grips with his feelings.
Not much more to say really, other than the journey to Amy and Sheldon possibly getting back together might well turn out to be a long one.

As for the actors not being in many scenes ? It's an ensemble cast, the episode was built around Sheldon.

• Like 3

Also, I went back and looked at older episodes, and Aquaman has not been up on that corner.   So, perhaps Sheldon has been moving him around.

Phanta, if you have a problem with a post report it.  Meanwhile, I hid another of your posts.

Edited by Tensor

It's been 3 days and no one has mentioned the brilliant meta-joke in the tag, where Sheldon replies to Leonard's advice (about emulating people in your real life) by saying the advice would be better if it came from someone on tv? :icon_lol:

Edited by meka3000
  • Like 3

Again, if anyone feels there is a problem with a post report it. Meanwhile, I've hidden another post.  Please remember, when hiding multiple posts, there is a chance that we can miss a post that should be hidden with the rest of them (it's happened before to both of us and will probably happen again).  If you see something like that, please report it, so we can go back and make sure everything has been hidden.   

Edited by Tensor

Nice episode.

- Liked Leonard Nimoys son Adam
- was nice to see Wil Wheaton again
- loved that we saw the napkin again
- Sheldon and Leonards aparment has a floor save and a wall save OMG grin.gif and the security camera lol.gif
- Bernadettes "EARTHQUAKE!! !AFTERSHOCK!" lmao.gif I laughed so hard lol.gif -> funniest scene of the whole episode for me grin.gif
- Howard and Bernies dad crawling under the house
- Sheldon seeing Amy with another guy bawl.gif -> Jim played that so well thud.gif
And for me Jim was wonderful in that episode how he played Sheldons emotions. He´s such a great actor thud.gif

• Like 2