The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

907 'The Spock Resonance' (November 5)

Amy & Sheldon two people who dealing with others, was not in there handbook.  Because it was not needed.  Now they have seen "Paris" how can you keep them on the farm?

I read on here that the guy Amy with out with in this episode, was 6 foot 7 inches tall.  Is that true??

Is it only just me, or do they seem to only hire TWO sizes of people to be regular characters on this show!  Extra, Extra, tall and really, really short !?!?

There were several moments in this episode that I found to be laugh out loud funny. I thought the jokes were good and really enjoyed the performances. While I remain less than thrilled with how some of the characters are portrayed at times I find that I am enjoying the season. I am glad the Lenny conflict has receded and they seem to be in a good place. The ‘gallery’ comments during Sheldon’s interview were well done and really funny. The bits about the safes and security camera were also good. Will Wheaton was great and the reappearance of the napkin was a nice touch.

The Howardette storyline was all right. The whole Howard as a big child thing has become tedious for me. It’s also a bit hard to believe considering how sex obsessed we know him to be. The idea that he would be so indifferent to upsetting his wife is hard to swallow as his behavior would invariably cause him to be a lonely and unsatisfied man. Howard annoying her by trying to do too much would be more plausible.

Sadly, it appears to me that the Shamy is no more. Amy is dating other men. ‘Normal’ men that would pay attention to her and treat her like she matters. The idea that she would somehow want to return to a narcissistic, self-absorbed, inconsiderate man-child is hard to accept. Also, Sheldon saw her kiss another man. Chaste and non-erotic as it was, this is something that in Sheldon’s world doesn’t happen until a relationship is serious. So, to him, Amy must be seriously involved with the other man for them to have progressed to that stage. This is not something easily glossed over. Sheldon had not truly accepted that the relationship was over and people like Sheldon do not forgive and forget. They bear grudges and create arch-enemies lists. What Sheldon witnessed should most likely be the final nail in the Shamy coffin.

To me, this entire Shamy drama was unnecessary. Sheldon is who and what he is. Amy knew this and decided to enter into the relationship. For her to then want him to be different is unrealistic and unfair to both of them. Amy changed dramatically from the woman we met at the end of season three. It is understandable that she would be unfulfilled by remaining in a one-sided relationship. For her to end it is totally understandable. That she would return to it is not. From my perspective, when the writers broke them up they burned the Shamy bridge and there is no way back. This is just my perspective and I know there are many who will disagree. I enjoy Mayin and her portrayal of Amy but if she is not Sheldon’s girlfriend she has no role on the show. Just being Penny’s friend is not enough to justify her presence and the use of precious little programming time. Write her out and move on. For the record; I would say the same thing about Bernadette if she and Howard split up. 

Again, I know from reading the posts on the boards and the ones about this episode that many of you feel (hope) that the Shamy will be salvaged. Perhaps it will and if it is done realistically I will be thrilled. How that can be done is what I am doubting. Amy has changed and has far out paced Sheldon on the road to 'normalcy'. He may get there one day but it will take a long time. Why anyone thought it is necessary for these two (or any of TBBT characters) to 'normalize' is something I don't quite understand. They were all fine and quite funny the way they were. The quirkiness of the Shamy was what made it unique. What motivates this desire for the two of them to become 'normal'?

Amy & Sheldon two people who dealing with others, was not in there handbook.  Because it was not needed.  Now they have seen "Paris" how can you keep them on the farm?

I read on here that the guy Amy with out with in this episode, was 6 foot 7 inches tall.  Is that true??

Is it only just me, or do they seem to only hire TWO sizes of people to be regular characters on this show!  Extra, Extra, tall and really, really short !?!?

Yes. The actor is the british comedian Stephen Merchant, who happens to be 6'7''.

From TVLine: http://tvline.com/gallery/supergirl-cat-grant-drunk-ruth-bader-ginsburg/#!18/big-bang-theory-leonard-nimoy-scrotum-quote/

Quotes of the Week: Jane the Virgin, Supergirl, Undateable and More

By Team TVLine / November 8 2015, 8:42 AM PST

THE BIG BANG THEORY

"It’s not every day I get to meet someone whose life’s journey began in my hero’s scrotum."

Sheldon (Jim Parsons) greets Leonard Nimoy's son in his own unique way

big-bang-theory-leonard-nimoy-scrotum-qu

• Like 2

I didn't like Bernadettes behavior in this episode. It was mean and weak all the time..I mean she was selfish, making her point by hurting Howard and she lied.. Yes it's a comedy, and supposed to be funny. But I don't like someone beeing so rude.

I didn't like Bernadettes behavior in this episode. It was mean and weak all the time..I mean she was selfish, making her point by hurting Howard and she lied.. Yes it's a comedy, and supposed to be funny. But I don't like someone beeing so rude.

IMO, it's not inconceivable that she would try to shift the blame to Howard about the kids.  She knows her parents want them to have kids, but she doesn't know how to tell them that she might not want them.  Many times men do not want, or aren't sure they want kids.  It's often the woman who has the greater desire, so it's easy for her to make her parents think he's the one who's reluctant.

As for the argument about remodeling, I think she is right in saying that she wants the house to feel like something she would want, not like she's living in someone else's house.  Her MIL's taste is not her own and everything is like a time capsule of Mrs. W's life, not a representation of Howard and Bernie's new life.

And Howard is always trying to get his way by playing the sympathy card--"after my father left us and since my mother died".  Bernie is just letting him know that she sees through that ploy.

• Like 2

Guest sladenoddy
On 11/6/2015, 6:36:03, vasu said:

Dull, boring episode.  Feel sorry for Sheldon seems to be whole theme of the episode. 

And how many times are they going to tell us that Sheldon has feelings..... this was the 123123123122312321th  time they try to make that point....we get it ... Sheldon has feelings.....please move forward.....

Raj Amy Leonard and Penny had nothing to do in the whole episode.... it was all Sheldon and tiny bit of Howard and Bernie

Once again penny was all sympathetic towards sheldon and impossbly rude towards leonard.  I wonder why she married him , she does not find him funny, does not find his habits endearing, shows his no sympathy.....

Oh and Sheldon going to Amy's place right at the moment when Amy kisses her date.... wow that was hysterical....I don't think I have even seen something unique like that....lol

I thought Penny and Leonard were finally a happily married couple?. So what on earth was the writer/s playing at with Penny's snidey and nasty "you probably had it coming crack?, well totally not funny writer/s that nasty line just totally went down the wrong way with me. 

1 hour ago, sladenoddy said:

I thought Penny and Leonard were finally a happily married couple?. So what on earth was the writer/s playing at with Penny's snidey and nasty "you probably had it coming crack?, well totally not funny writer/s that nasty line just totally went down the wrong way with me. 

They are a somewhat happy couple. These writers don't do completely happy. At least not for long.

• Like 1

On November 9, 2015 at 6:04:24 AM, phantagrae said:

IMO, it's not inconceivable that she would try to shift the blame to Howard about the kids.  She knows her parents want them to have kids, but she doesn't know how to tell them that she might not want them.  Many times men do not want, or aren't sure they want kids.  It's often the woman who has the greater desire, so it's easy for her to make her parents think he's the one who's reluctant.

As for the argument about remodeling, I think she is right in saying that she wants the house to feel like something she would want, not like she's living in someone else's house.  Her MIL's taste is not her own and everything is like a time capsule of Mrs. W's life, not a representation of Howard and Bernie's new life.

And Howard is always trying to get his way by playing the sympathy card--"after my father left us and since my mother died".  Bernie is just letting him know that she sees through that ploy.

I through Howard telling her dad he climbs on top of her every chance he gets. Was differently more creepy and cringe worthy than her actions and remarks. 

Edited by gwhh
  • Like 2

On November 15, 2015 at 11:33:26 PM, gwhh said:

I through Howard telling her dad he climbs on top of her every chance he gets. Was differently more creepy and cringe worthy than her actions and remarks. 

It was intended to be creepy and awkward and a poor choice of words, especially saying those words to her father.  That was the joke--he wasn't trying to be creepy, it was just his misspoken way of trying to say that it was not for lack of trying.  No matter how one says it, it's hard not to go TMI when speaking of such things to one's FIL.

• Like 1

On 06/11/2015, 14:39:38, HeWolf said:

if she is not Sheldon’s girlfriend she has no role on the show. Just being Penny’s friend is not enough to justify her presence and the use of precious little programming time. Write her out and move on.

I agree with HeWolf. Presumably any contracr can be terminated for a price. And from the pov of the characters Amy should never come back. Those few seconds were the first time we've seen her looking happy in a normal way. That scene implied that having given up on Sheldon she can finally develop into a normal adult. I always thought Sheldon and Amy made each other worse, and this scene implied that that's how their relationship is intended to be understood. That may seem a lot to read into a few seconds on screen, but that's how visual media work; sometimes an image really is worth a thousand words. And it doesn't make any sense for Amy to hang around with people she was only connected to because they were Sheldon's friends. As for Sheldon, I think he first needs to go back to his first love: physics will never desert him, and made him so happy before Amy got to him. And hey, he's got an entirely new model of the universe to elaborate.

I thought this was an very well-made episode. 2 excellent storylines plus a downbeat coda. Some of the best Bernadette and Howard action we've seen for a long time - Bernadette stamping on the floor shouting "earthquake" to stop Howard and her father talking was a brilliant piece of broad humour.

For the Sheldon interview everyone - writers, director and actors - was at the top of their game. For example, a nice bit of extra humour: Sheldon quoted Spock in (presumably ) Vulcan. Penny said to Leonard "did you understand that" and her expression and tone indicated that while she was quite curious as to what S had said, she really didn't want Leonard to be that much of a nerd. Leonard got that and said (presumably) No - in Vulcan. Perfectly done.

Bringing out the napkin gave the scene extra depth by referencing a strong early episode, which of course reminded us that Sheldon was never as unemotional as he thought he was: when Penny gave him the napkin he was overcome with delight and gratitude - not very Spocklike, surely?

An interesting episode, highlighting the differences between Sheldon and Spock. I'm always happy to see a Spock-centred episode, too.

One difference that I don't believe people have pointed out here is that while Sheldon is self-centred, Spock, like all Vulcans, adheres to a universal, impartial, utilitarian-esque moral system, that takes into account the interests of all sentient beings.  I couldn't envisage Sheldon, unlike Spock and other Vulcans, becoming a vegetarian, for example.

On 11/14/2015, 11:41:35, sladenoddy said:

I thought it was routine... sympathy toward Sheldon and snide remards towards leonard.....lol

On 12/4/2015, 9:21:48, JohnPhD said:

I agree with HeWolf. Presumably any contracr can be terminated for a price. And from the pov of the characters Amy should never come back. Those few seconds were the first time we've seen her looking happy in a normal way. That scene implied that having given up on Sheldon she can finally develop into a normal adult. I always thought Sheldon and Amy made each other worse, and this scene implied that that's how their relationship is intended to be understood. That may seem a lot to read into a few seconds on screen, but that's how visual media work; sometimes an image really is worth a thousand words. And it doesn't make any sense for Amy to hang around with people she was only connected to because they were Sheldon's friends. As for Sheldon, I think he first needs to go back to his first love: physics will never desert him, and made him so happy before Amy got to him. And hey, he's got an entirely new model of the universe to elaborate.

I think amy and sheldon earlier like in season 4 were good....

but once amy started getting irritated by sheldon's antics....everything changed..... the essence of their relationship changed.....and from that point onwards it was all about amy making sheldon a better man.......... instead of sheldon and amy together becoming good......

15 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:
On 5.12.2015, 19:40:22, Stephen Hawking said:

Did anyone spot the bad editing, when Sheldon opens the box, to show them his passport, Will, 1/18th scale Wil, and the engagement ring?

No, what was it?

I was wondering too. Watched the scene several times and I haven't seen any obvious bad editing. What exactly was it?

21 hours ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

No, what was it?

Sheldon lifts the lid on the box, then they cut to a different camera angle, and he lifts the lid again.

18 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Was that napkin really signed by Leonard Nimoy?

Yes, according to a story Jim told about the scene...production had sent LN the napkin to sign and included an extra napkin in case he didn't like how the first one turned out,  LN returned both napkins, one signed and the other blank.

• Like 3

Yes, according to a story Jim told about the scene...production had sent LN the napkin to sign and included an extra napkin in case he didn't like how the first one turned out,  LN returned both napkins, one signed and the other blank.

William Shatner in his book about LN also confirms that he really did sign the napkin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just watched "For the Love of Spock". I enjoyed it and it brought back memories from the 70s and 80s for me. I spent many hours watching episodes of the original series. 

It was nice that bits from TBBT were included and bits of interviews. I enjoyed the comments by Bill Prady.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 2