Tensor

episodes
908 'The Mystery Date Observation' (November 12)

137 posts in this topic

Posted

The Mystery Date Observation - Season 9, Episode 8

Airs Thursday, November 12 at 8/7c on CBS

Sheldon, Wolowitz and Koothrappali post an online advertisement to find Sheldon a new girlfriend Also, when Amy is coy with the details of a guy she is dating, Penny and Bernadette decide to spy.

Stephen Merchant and Analeigh Tipton guest star.

Rate the Episode

mjc45 likes this

Posted

The promo looked funny/crazy.

Posted

Amy looks especially good in these pictures!:spruceup:

Do we know why Penny and Leonard are having a tense conversation by the elevator?:girlsad::(

Posted

I don't think it's tense, see PM

The picture's caption called it "tense". Maybe it was intense!

Kasey likes this

Posted

Saw the pic just looks like a typical Lenny interaction haha.

Posted

So, in the peek Sheldon states he wants to once again have a woman to ignore so he can hyper focus on his work...

5Mississippis and 3ku11 like this

Posted

I found this episode to be very funny. Love Amys dress

notchinc likes this

Posted

I like it very much.

Posted

I liked.. fun and light episode ( no drama thanks God),  lots of jokes ( love Bernie in the car Kkk) , well balance btw the plots....  the married joke was amaizing.. why did you bring him. kkk 

Posted

I thought this episode was really funny, Leonard and Penny were great, they acted so married.  Bernadette was really funny as spy Bernadette.  That girl that came to Sheldon though was great, I think maybe they should have had another episode with her having a date with Sheldon.  Poor Amy, that was really a bad date.

RoRo likes this

Posted

Good episode.  Funny.  I like Penny and Bernadette together. 

Wow Dave is/was super creepy but very funny.

Posted

1 minute ago, SRAM said:

I thought this episode was really funny, Leonard and Penny were great, they acted so married.  Bernadette was really funny as spy Bernadette.  That girl that came to Sheldon though was great, I think maybe they should have had another episode with her having a date with Sheldon.  Poor Amy, that was really a bad date.

He turned down a beautiful woman who could speak Klingon without a trace of irony?  Sheldon you suck!

Posted

I was a little mixed on this episode, but I will admit I'm a little tainted by the fact that I never wanted to see Amy or Sheldon trying to date.

I absolutely loved Lenny in this.   They are so much the married couple, and it suits them well.

Sheldon seemed overly enthusiastic about the dating.   However, it seemed that as soon as he opened the door he had already written Vanessa off but was just waiting for the right time to end the conversation.   I think once he got the girl's interest, he realized the reality of what he was asking for and knew it wasn't really what he wanted.   No one can replace his Amy.

Bernadette who was so uncomfortable with spying in a prior season is now an expert at it.   Scratching head here.

Amy's date.   I was elated and felt sorry for her.   She just can't seem to catch a break and have one decent date, but at the same time, I'm glad it didn't work out.

I'm glad to see that Leonard has a fan following as well as Sheldon.

Posted

Dave was a real fanboy of Physics geniuses.

Posted (edited)

I thought the episode was amusing but for some reason it sounded funnier on paper. I felt mixed, like jenafan.  It was harder for me to see Sheldon interested in looking for another woman and seemingly excited to do so than it was to see Amy on her date.  She clearly wasn't in the mindset or overly enthused.  She was polite in the beginning and willing to try, but you could see she was not really ready to date.  Sheldon was excited, as Jenafan said, until he opened the door and reality set in.  He just didn't want anyone but Amy to show up.   The reality hit him when he actually was faced with a woman willing to date him and who was also intelligent.  Glad she didn't pass the test and didn't enjoy her seminar because it helped him reject her. :girlwink:   

I guess I just figured this would be more "LOL" funny but it came across more "amusing" to me.  Smiled during the Bernie spying stuff and hitting Dave's car and smiled at Dave's enthusiasm over Sheldon/Leonard, but the jokes were not that strong to me or that funny.   I also felt it odd that Bernie is now an expert at spying when she didn't like it in previous episodes.   

The Bernie/Penny dynamic was fun though.  Just as it was nice to see Sheldon acknowledge Raj/Howard and their contribution toward finding Amy for him and trusting them again to find him another woman.   That was kind of a salute to them for finding his true perfect match in Amy.   

Overall I would say it was a solid light -hearted episode and it was a nice refreshment from all the drama.

Edited by stardustmelody
sgreece, Amy Fowler, jenafan and 1 other like this

Posted

The best part of that episode was the preview for next week.

Kasey likes this

Posted (edited)

I love Dave. 

that is all.

1 hour ago, stardustmelody said:

I thought the episode was amusing but for some reason it sounded funnier on paper. I felt mixed, like jenafan.  It was harder for me to see Sheldon interested in looking for another woman and seemingly excited to do so than it was to see Amy on her date.  She clearly wasn't in the mindset or overly enthused.  She was polite in the beginning and willing to try, but you could see she was not really ready to date.  Sheldon was excited, as Jenafan said, until he opened the door and reality set in.  He just didn't want anyone but Amy to show up.   The reality hit him when he actually was faced with a woman willing to date him and who was also intelligent.  Glad she didn't pass the test and didn't enjoy her seminar because it helped him reject her. :girlwink:   

I guess I just figured this would be more "LOL" funny but it came across more "amusing" to me.  Smiled during the Bernie spying stuff and hitting Dave's car and smiled at Dave's enthusiasm over Sheldon/Leonard, but the jokes were not that strong to me or that funny.   I also felt it odd that Bernie is now an expert at spying when she didn't like it in previous episodes.   

The Bernie/Penny dynamic was fun though.  Just as it was nice to see Sheldon acknowledge Raj/Howard and their contribution toward finding Amy for him and trusting them again to find him another woman.   That was kind of a salute to them for finding his true perfect match in Amy.   

Overall I would say it was a solid light -hearted episode and it was a nice refreshment from all the drama.

First bold - absolutely. I guess he had to be excited for us to be affected by the down fall later on in the episode. I was saying to Jena in the Shamy thread that Sheldon might have been so reminded about Amy when he was talking to Vanessa that it made him think 'this is a mistake' and that's why he shut the door on her. He seemed game for giving her a ago until she started to reveal how clever she actually was then I saw a switch in him that went 'I can't do this' because she was to much like Amy. He wanted to find someone just like him. Well he had that with Amy. And then he pretty much found it in Vanessa (minus the whole lecture thing). That's why I'm saying he's trying to replace Amy so he can still feel the same. 

I also love the prospect of the second bold bit. When I rewatched Sheldon's bits I could totally see that hope that Amy might turn up. He didn't know Amy was on a date. He might have thought she'd be at home and she'd stumble across Sheldon's advert. 

Edited by Amy Fowler
jenafan, sgreece and stardustmelody like this

Posted

I really enjoyed it.  I think that Sheldon's desire to try dating, and his enthusiasm, were an over the top reaction to the evidence that Amy is moving on.  If she's going to really date, then he might as well try to get back in it.  Though he obviously isn't looking for a girl to love.  He's looking for a girl to sit there on the couch and watch whatever he wants to watch, a girl he can ignore in favor of his work.

And I think Dave was hilarious, especially at the end when he turned out to be a Leonard fanboy as well.  And I loved the pee-pee handshake... :)

I think it was very funny and another step along Sheldon's path.

Shamyyes, sgreece, Maddie and 3 others like this

Posted (edited)

Not a fan of this episode it just felt wrong. Sheldon was way too excited about finding a new girlfriend. Also hated how Penny interacted with Amy like the engagement ring and Sheldon meltdown never happened.  Best lines for me came from Dave and Raj in this one.

Edited by Flaky

Posted

21 minutes ago, Amy Fowler said:

I love Dave. 

that is all.

First bold - absolutely. I guess he had to be excited for us to see the down fall later on in the episode. I was saying to Jena in the Shamy thread that Sheldon might have been so reminded about Amy when he was talking to Vanessa that it made him think 'this is a mistake' and that's why he shut the door on her. He seemed game for giving her a ago until she started to reveal how clever she actually was then I saw a switch in him that went 'I can't do this' because she was to much like Amy. He wanted to find someone just like him. Well he had that with Amy. And then he pretty much found it in Vanessa (minus the whole lecture thing). That's why I'm saying he's trying to replace Amy so he can still feel the same. 

I also love the prospect of the second bold bit. When I rewatched Sheldon's bits I could totally see that hope that Amy might turn up. He didn't know Amy was on a date. He might have thought she'd be at home and she'd stumble across Sheldon's advert. 

Yes, yes, yes!   I think he definitely was hoping Amy saw the Craigslist listing and would be intrigued and go for it.   I agree he did have a switch in attitude as soon as he heard she was at a lecture that clearly showed she had some intelligence.  After that, he lost interest in her immediately because even if she did not remind him of Amy, he didn't want anyone else but Amy.   He didn't even want to know how intelligent she was and was readying himself to shut the door on her at the first opportunity.   It was very well played.  Jim did a great job again with subtleties.  

18 minutes ago, phantagrae said:

I really enjoyed it.  I think that Sheldon's desire to try dating, and his enthusiasm, were an over the top reaction to the evidence that Amy is moving on.  If she's going to really date, then he might as well try to get back in it.  Though he obviously isn't looking for a girl to love.  He's looking for a girl to sit there on the couch and watch whatever he wants to watch, a girl he can ignore in favor of his work.

And I think Dave was hilarious, especially at the end when he turned out to be a Leonard fanboy as well.  And I loved the pee-pee handshake... :)

I think it was very funny and another step along Sheldon's path.

He was very entertaining.  I loved how he leaned in like he might get a good scoop on Sheldon.  The poor guy had more of a man-crush on Sheldon than he cared about is date. :laugh:   He played the part perfectly, IMO!   

Also thought it was great that he was a fan of Leonard's.  That was a cute little addition that I didn't remember from the taping report.   It just was sweet to see Leonard get some fans for once.

jenafan, CentralPerk and Amy Fowler like this