Tensor

908 'The Mystery Date Observation' (November 12)

If Penny and Bernadette's reaction, to learning Dave is British, is typical of American Women, then I've definitely got to get myself across the pond. :) 

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

If Penny and Bernadette's reaction, to learning Dave is British, is typical of American Women, then I've definitely get to get myself across the pond. :) 

It is. :)

On 13/12/2015 at 7:51 PM, Gbb said:

It is. :)

British accents were rather fully dealt with in Frasier, when Daphne's brother visited. He had an hideous Estuary accent (a long way from Lancashire where Daphne comes from) but a gaggle of American women admired it.

If Penny likes British accents, why haven't she and Leonard watched 4 Weddings and a Funeral (with the best opening line ever)? Everybody can enjoy that. Hugh Grant was better before he became purveyor of posh British accents to the American female public. Leonard should pay attention and take Penny to see (or get the DVD of) Sense and Sensibility - HG and Emma Thompson - it doesn't get better than that.

On 12/18/2015 at 10:57 AM, JohnPhD said:

(a long way from Lancashire where Daphne comes from).

Daphne comes from Manchester, not Lancashire, not that her accent sounds Mancunian.

4 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Daphne comes from Manchester, not Lancashire, not that her accent sounds Mancunian.

and Manchester is in Lancashire, There are many Lancashire accents, Mancunian and Scouse being the obvious ones,

36 minutes ago, ajond said:

and Manchester is in Lancashire,

Manchester is a separate place to Lancashire. Manchester is a City, in Greater Manchester, whereas Lancashire is a County in its own right.

200px-Greater_Manchester_UK_locator_map_200px-Lancashire_UK_locator_map_2010.svg

Greater Manchester ---------------------- Lancashire

Also, I would strongly advise against telling a Liverpudlian, that he/she is from Lancashire, or that he/she has a Lancashire accent. A Liverpudlian (aka a "Scouser") is from Merseyside, and has a Scouse accent.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1

The director of Serial Apist 2 was British, but I doubt if American ladies admired his accent - or manners.

On 12/18/2015 at 10:57 AM, JohnPhD said:

British accents were rather fully dealt with in Frasier, when Daphne's brother visited.

They were also mentioned in The 43 Peculiarity.

On a different tack, one of her other dates, must have made at least a bit of an impression on her, since she had a second date with him.

At least, I'm assuming it was a him. :) 

Just noticed that when Amy's date is giving Leonard a bit of the fanboy treatment, Penny's face is not shown at all. You'd think she'd be quietly pleased. Shows the writers didn't think about Lenny.

• Like 1