Jump to content

908 'The Mystery Date Observation' (November 12)


Tensor
 Share

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

I dont think it effects the group dynamic too much. Not much changed since they broke up. So i tend to ageee prob to many references to them.

I agree that this break up almost "kills" the other story lines, so I understand that people interested in other characters don't enjoy the plot. Anyway, saying that it doesn't effect the group dynamic is not true. No more group episodes (which are the funniest one), no more iconic take away dinners together, the other characters are acting in a "strange"  way to accommodate with the plot. Let alone Penny, think about Howard; in the premiere he basically says Amy that it was about time that she dumped Sheldon and in the last one he says that Amy broke Sheldon's heart...

 

As for the episode, I liked it very much. It was the funniest so far, IMO. I keep watching over and over again the part about Vanessa and I laugh out loud every time I watch it! And Dave saying "WOW" over and over again is priceless! Bernie was also at her best!

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were many parts for me to enjoy in this episode:

Lenny being all domestic in their bathrobes and discussing breakfast in the opening.  I loved Leonard's "gloat meal" and Penny saying she didn't want credit for that.  They're so comfortable with each other and their banter shows it.

There were a lot of references to the fact that they're now married.  Penny mentions that she got rid of her tall shoes after she married Leonard. Penny tells Leonard, "This is a movie your wife doesn't want you to see."  Also, when Bernardette asks why Penny brought Leonard, Penny replies, "I had to; we're married now."  I don't remember if there are more, but those are the ones that come to mind at this moment.  I wonder if the writers will ever regret not giving Lenny the big wedding?  I wish we could get a reception with family and friends, but I doubt that will happen.

Dave was great- what more could I add?

Sheldon's date was absolutely perfect, but of course he found something wrong with her.  It was interesting that in Sheldon's list of necessary girlfriend qualities he included "...unable to imagine life without me..."  Weeks before the breakup he was imagining a life without Amy on Mars.  Did he learn from that tiff that it's important to visualize your future with your significant other, or were the writers just putting in another funny line?  Or both? I don't know.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Sheldon go on a date with Vanessa, if only to see her reactions to him.  Would she play groupie to Sheldon's scientific rockstar (as Dave called him)?  Would she have become increasingly disinchanted as the date went on?  Would she be too worshipful and creep Sheldon out?  Would Sheldon have kissed her goodnight, or would he have shook her hand?  It could have been funny like Amy's date, but maybe the writers wanted to make it clear that Sheldon isn't as ready to date as he says he is.

I'm looking forward to the next episode.  The Leonard scene looks like it's going to be unforgettable!

Edited by Rajamon
punctuation
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I can finally comment on this episode been unable to post comments since Tuesday cause site problems would not let me anyway I like the episode Leonard and Penny were great when she told Bernadette I had to bring him he is my husband now I laughed out loud and Sheldon saying good morning Dr. and misses Hoffstadler was great too

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, djsurrey said:

With regard to the story line I think we have had some really good episodes so I don't find the break up storyline bothersome at all. I have actually enjoyed it. It lasted longer than I expected but it has been a lot of fun.  The only downer is that so many people on here seem to live or die based on the status of shamy and lenny. That kind of sucks.

edit

Don't really watch the Simpsons. No idea what Poochie is.

It's not the story line itself that bothers me (The Spock Resonance is one of the shows absolute best episodes IMO), it's the over saturation of the story line that annoys me.

For 9 EPISODES IN A ROW Shamy's breakup has related to Sheldon and/or Amy's plot lines in the episodes.  It's not unreasonable to believe that we need a break from their relationship issues for one episode.  It was even worse in this episode because BOTH plot lines involved this over-exposed story line, and all the characters were just satellites orbiting around it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, djsurrey said: With regard to the story line I think we have had some really good episodes so I don't find the break up storyline bothersome at all. I have actually enjoyed it. It lasted longer than I expected but it has been a lot of fun.  The only downer is that so many people on here seem to live or die based on the status of shamy and lenny. That kind of sucks.

edit

Don't really watch the Simpsons. No idea what Poochie is.

It's not the story line itself that bothers me (The Spock Resonance is one of the shows absolute best episodes IMO), it's the over saturation of the story line that annoys me.

For 9 EPISODES IN A ROW Shamy's breakup has related to Sheldon and/or Amy's plot lines in the episodes.  It's not unreasonable to believe that we need a break from their relationship issues for one episode.  It was even worse in this episode because BOTH plot lines involved this over-exposed story line, and all the characters were just satellites orbiting around it.

Really. I'm shocked complaining about S9. So not like you. 😯

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, meka3000 said:

It's not the story line itself that bothers me (The Spock Resonance is one of the shows absolute best episodes IMO), it's the over saturation of the story line that annoys me.

For 9 EPISODES IN A ROW Shamy's breakup has related to Sheldon and/or Amy's plot lines in the episodes.  It's not unreasonable to believe that we need a break from their relationship issues for one episode.  It was even worse in this episode because BOTH plot lines involved this over-exposed story line, and all the characters were just satellites orbiting around it.

I really can't relate to what you are saying at all. Overall I'm enjoying season nine. I thought the Spock Resonance was a big disappointment and an exception.

The only really heavy episode in my opinion was ep 1. The break-up has been just comedy since then.

As I recall

9.01    The Matrimonial Momentum -heavy breakup shamy - wedding lenny  but great episode overall       
9.02    The Separation Oscillation - leny reconciliation good
9.03    The Bachelor Party Corrosion - Lenny bat parties very funny excellent ep
9.04    The 2003 Approximation - I found this a disappointment but I think I was over hyped
9.05    The Perspiration Implementation - very funny light episode
9.06    The Helium Insufficiency - disappointment for me  Our geniuses were too dumb                  
9.07    The Spock Resonance     - disappointment and dull                         
9.08    The Mystery Date Observation - very good funny episode

It seems to me the break-up allowed a comedic exploration and jokes that would not have been possible otherwise.

Edited by djsurrey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I really can't relate to what you are saying at all. Overall I'm enjoying season nine. I thought the Spock Resonance was a big disappointment and an exception.

The only really heavy episode in my opinion was ep 1. The break-up has been just comedy since then.

As I recall

9.01    The Matrimonial Momentum -heavy breakup shamy - wedding lenny  but great episode overall       
9.02    The Separation Oscillation - leny reconciliation good
9.03    The Bachelor Party Corrosion - Lenny bat parties very funny excellent ep
9.04    The 2003 Approximation - I found this a disappointment but I think I was over hyped
9.05    The Perspiration Implementation - very funny light episode
9.06    The Helium Insufficiency - disappointment for me                      
9.07    The Spock Resonance     - disappointment and dull                         
9.08    The Mystery Date Observation - very good funny episode

It seems to me the break-up allowed a comedic exploration and jokes that would not have been possible otherwise.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here, this breakup has definitely saturated the storyline as meka3000 said!

  • 9x01    The Matrimonial Momentum - Shamy break up making everyone miss the wedding 
  • 9x02    The Separation Oscillation - Angry stalker Sheldon
  • 9x03    The Bachelor Party Corrosion - The least ShamyAngst episode but there was the girls night talk where she wants to challenge the RA
  • 9x04    The 2003 Approximation - Sad sulky Sheldon
  • 9x05    The Perspiration Implementation - Sheldon upset that Amy might date, heartbreaking scene when she thinks that he has moved on
  • 9x06    The Helium Insufficiency - The entire B plot was about Amy dating                   
  • 9x07    The Spock Resonance - Sheldon has a complete breakdown exposing his true feelings then sees Amy kissing another man                         
  • 9x08    The Mystery Date Observation - Both A and B plots are about the breakup / Shamy moving on

Apart from 9x03 this break up has been a huge part of every episode this season, thats what? 3 months worth of television for this show dedicated to one story line! I'm pretty sure they have never done this before and I can see why people who couldn't care less about the Shamy relationship would be very, very bored of it!

Edited by Einstein Von Brainstorm
I carnt spell
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see Sheldon go out with the only girl that finished the Craigs list test.  I think it could be really funny to see them interact.   I do feel sorry for Amy, she wanted so much to have a different dating experience, but failed in her choice.  Maybe she could select better next time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I would love to see Sheldon go out with the only girl that finished the Craigs list test.  I think it could be really funny to see them interact.   I do feel sorry for Amy, she wanted so much to have a different dating experience, but failed in her choice.  Maybe she could select better next time!

I thought what we saw was perfect. One would have expected Sheldon to be delighted but instead he closes the door in her face because she is late.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

I thought what we saw was perfect.

What we saw was perfect in Sheldonworld. Amy dating an even dorky guy than Sheldon and then is obsessed with him and Sheldon rejecting s beautiful woman over a technicality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

What we saw was perfect in Sheldonworld. Amy dating an even dorky guy than Sheldon and then is obsessed with him and Sheldon rejecting s beautiful woman over a technicality.

He's not rejecting a beautiful woman over a technicality.  He's rejecting her because he's in love with another one.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kathy2611 said:

He's not rejecting a beautiful woman over a technicality.  He's rejecting her because he's in love with another one.

Nope he rejected her because she was late that's it 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kathy2611 said:

He's not rejecting a beautiful woman over a technicality.  He's rejecting her because he's in love with another one.

 

11 minutes ago, vasu said:

Nope he rejected her because she was late that's it 

Vasu is right on this one. Sheldon wasn't thinking of Amy. If he had he wouldn't of had Raj and Howard find him a new girlfriend.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not saying its true. But its a valid point of view. To say Sheldon just wants a gf, to fangirl over him. And show adulation to him. I think he does love Amy, but not enough to not function without her. Sheldon has no filter, if it was because of Amy he would of said so. And like mentioned would of not allowed Howard and Raj to find him a new girlfriend. While his initial reaction i thought, was because of shes not Amy. It was just simply because she was late. I just think shippers well twist it, in the most oh so romantic way, he loves Amy it doesn't matter who was at that door! Oh my Shamy heart! :icon_cheesygrin:. But in reality he shut her down because of a technicality. This is typical Sheldon, he's been doing this since 1x01.

Edited by 3ku11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, vasu said:

Nope he rejected her because she was late that's it 

She was late and she didn't like the topic of lecture she was attending. Those two things made her unattractive in Sheldon's eye. The fact she was gorgeous in the world's eye for him is irrelevant. There's another person, anyway, that is not that attractive in the world's eye, that can be late whenever she wants and  hate Star Trek or Indiana Jones and at the same time being attractive to his eye, so....

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

She was late and she didn't like the topic of lecture she was attending. Those two things made her unattractive in Sheldon's eye. The fact she was gorgeous in the world's eye for him is irrelevant. There's another person, anyway, that is not that attractive in the world's eye, that can be late whenever she wants and  hate Star Trek or Indiana Jones and at the same time being attractive to his eye, so....

... Did you just?:rofl: ...

tumblr_nqpt1uSCfs1rerzc4o1_400.gif

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mIska said:-

Maybe she could select better next time!

I don't want her to have a next time. I want Shamy again.

 

Sorry about the way I quoted, but I couldn't get the Quote function to work. :angry: 

5 hours ago, vasu said:

Nope he rejected her because she was late that's it 

I think he used that as an excuse.

5 hours ago, Chrismo said:

Vasu is right on this one. Sheldon wasn't thinking of Amy. If he had he wouldn't of had Raj and Howard find him a new girlfriend.

I think he asked them to find him a new girlfriend, to demonstrate to Amy that he was over her, and able to move on with his life, without her, but, when it came down to it, he realized he was neither over her, nor able to move on with his life, so he used her being late, as a reason to reject her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this episode to be fun and interesting. I actually laughed more with this one than any other episode yet during the season 9. I liked Amy's weird date companion, their interaction and the other girls stalking them. I try not to think  too deep about the plots, character developement or out-of-character-stuff right now (I think there has been a lot that kind off stuff this season, but not going into details now), so enjoying episodes in a lighter point of view helps.

Edited by Catlina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

mIska said:

I don't want her to have a next time. I want Shamy again.

 

Sorry about the way I quoted, but I couldn't get the Quote function to work. :angry: 

I think he used that as an excuse.

I think he asked them to find him a new girlfriend, to demonstrate to Amy that he was over her, and able to move on with his life, without her, but, when it came down to it, he realized he was neither over her, nor able to move on with his life, so he used her being late, as a reason to reject her.

There was nothing in the episode that backs  up the idea he missed Amy but yours and others wishful thinking..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here, this breakup has definitely saturated the storyline as meka3000 said!

  • 9x01    The Matrimonial Momentum - Shamy break up making everyone miss the wedding 
  • 9x02    The Separation Oscillation - Angry stalker Sheldon
  • 9x03    The Bachelor Party Corrosion - The least ShamyAngst episode but there was the girls night talk where she wants to challenge the RA
  • 9x04    The 2003 Approximation - Sad sulky Sheldon
  • 9x05    The Perspiration Implementation - Sheldon upset that Amy might date, heartbreaking scene when she thinks that he has moved on
  • 9x06    The Helium Insufficiency - The entire B plot was about Amy dating                   
  • 9x07    The Spock Resonance - Sheldon has a complete breakdown exposing his true feelings then sees Amy kissing another man                         
  • 9x08    The Mystery Date Observation - Both A and B plots are about the breakup / Shamy moving on

Apart from 9x03 this break up has been a huge part of every episode this season, thats what? 3 months worth of television for this show dedicated to one story line! I'm pretty sure they have never done this before and I can see why people who couldn't care less about the Shamy relationship would be very, very bored of it!

Just watched it again. No idea why not caring about Shamy should have anything to do with enjoying this episode or why it would be boring.

Also when I recall 9x05    The Perspiration Implementation I'm thinking about exercise, fencing lessons and comic book store stuff and Sheldon attempting to pick up someone. There was references to Princess Bride and Star Wars. I watched it again. Really the only serious bit was at the end. I'd say a small part. Maybe it is just a different perspective. I don't really care about that relationship bit so I focus more an what I enjoy.

e18fa5a6888dbc7f19f99eab903b3b9b.jpg

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.