[Spoilers] Lenny & Shamy - The Neutral Zone

No Regrets

8 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I think it's a given that he passed his test, and now has a full licence.

This is how the conversation went:-

Leonard: That is not a compromise. A compromise is me driving you everywhere because you refuse to learn how.

Sheldon: Oh, I learned how. Amy taught me.

Leonard: What? Then. then why don’t you do it?

Sheldon: Uh, well, it’s scary. And sometimes I get the pedals mixed up. But, more importantly, driving me to work is one of the things that gives your life purpose. I can’t take that away from you, so what do I do? Oh, come on, I’m practically feeding you the answer. I compromise.

If he hadn't got his full licence, I think he'd have used that, as the reason he still has Leonard drive him.

Yeah, and no where does he state that he has a drivers license. A driving permit allows you to operate a vehicle with another licensed driver in the car and that's ALL that Sheldon has....until it expires. 

Also, someone who gets the pedals mixed up won't be passing the behind the wheel test, which it is REQUIRED that you pass to get your license.

And finally, Sheldon would have NO NEED to get a license if he has no plans of driving. Only when he serious about driving full time like everyone else, will he have one.

Edited by MJistheBOMB
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Sheldon says he could drive himself, but he "allows" Leonard to drive him instead.

That's NOT what he said.  Read the transcript again.  And in the states, it's a pretty extensive driving test that I really don't see Sheldon passing.  Especially if he gets the pedals mixed up and he finds it scary

• Like 2

Great video.. pls pls writters.. more couples scenes (shamy +Lenny together)....games, going out, lunch/dinner, mocking each other, perhaps a weekend trip......  I miss that

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MJistheBOMB said:

*I want Lenny to continue working on whatever issues they still need to work on so that they can be more in sync with each other (not that they aren't in sync now but you know what I mean. LOL.) 9.12 will be the start of this when they each speak to that doctor lady.

*I want Lenny to move away from Sheldon because they deserve it and Sheldon has some growing to do of his own. I'd like to see Sheldon living alone for a while to be honest. It would really open his eyes to what everyone does for him and hopefully it will help him in many ways, like he can go out and get his drivers license and a car (I want this so badly. LOL) for starters. He seriously can't be driven around forever, he's not an old helpless man. LOL.

*Shamy engagement sounds nice ;-).

Word to all of this. 

It's amazing to me how easy it appears to get a drivers license in the U.S. 

I had to attend a first aid class, sit through 21 hours of driving theory lessons, do 30 hours of driving and pay 2000 Euros ($2500) to get my drivers license in Germany. 

Edited by No Regrets
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, No Regrets said:

Word to all of this. 

It's amazing to me how easy it appears to get a drivers license in the U.S. 

I had to attend a first aid class, sit through 21 hours of driving theory lessons, do 30 hours of driving and pay 2000 Euros ($2500) to get my drivers license in Germany. 

Really???? My goodness! 

Yeah, here, we have drivers education classes in high school, paying for someone to teach you how to drive is optional (anyone can teach you how to drive) but I do remember my mom paying a professional over 100 dollars to teach me. I can't remember if we were charged to take the permit test? It's been many years. LOL....And I also can't remember if there was some fee for the drivers test....but I do remember paying for my drivers license itself.

21 hours ago, Kathy2611 said:

That's NOT what he said.  Read the transcript again.

I was paraphrasing, but here's the actual exchange:-

Leonard: That is not a compromise. A compromise is me driving you everywhere because you refuse to learn how.

Sheldon: Uh, well, it’s scary. And sometimes I get the pedals mixed up. But, more importantly, driving me to work is one of the things that gives your life purpose. I can’t take that away from you, so what do I do? Oh, come on, I’m practically feeding you the answer. I compromise.

21 hours ago, Kathy2611 said:

And in the states, it's a pretty extensive driving test that I really don't see Sheldon passing.  Especially if he gets the pedals mixed up and he finds it scary

How long/extensive is the practical part of the test?

56 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I was paraphrasing, but here's the actual exchange:-

How long/extensive is the practical part of the test?

Well for starters you have to provide the car for the test (whether yours or someone else's).  Before the test even begins, they check the car out to make sure everything works properly and when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING!  Lights, brake lights, turn signals, seatbelts, etc. whether your going to use it or not.  

Then you have to get in the parked car and start it.  You have about a 10-15 minute driving test out on the road and they will test you on every scenerio they can.  

Then there's the parallel parking test which is harder than it looks.  After driving for almost 30 years, I still hate parallel parking and try to avoid it when I can.  

If you miss too many things (and it's not very many to miss), you fail.  Period.  No ifs, ands, or buts.  For someone like Sheldon, it's very easy to fail it.  Any little mistake, minor or major, they'll ding you on it.  A lot of people actually fail the first time.  I almost did with that stupid parallel parking part.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

Well for starters you have to provide the car for the test (whether yours or someone else's).  Before the test even begins, they check the car out to make sure everything works properly and when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING!  Lights, brake lights, turn signals, seatbelts, etc. whether your going to use it or not.  

None of that relates to the candidate's ability to drive the vehicle.

You have about a 10-15 minute driving test out on the road and they will test you on every scenario they can..  

The driving part of the test, here in the UK, lasts about 40 minutes, and I know people who passed, but are atrocious drivers.

They were just fortunate, in that they did the right things, during that ~ 40 minutes.

Then there's the parallel parking test which is harder than it looks.

Parallel parking isn't particularly hard.

For someone like Sheldon, it's very easy to fail it.

It's also possible for someone to get through, on luck alone.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

16 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

None of that relates to the candidate's ability to drive the vehicle.

The driving part of the test, here in the UK, lasts about 40 minutes, and I know people who passed, but are atrocious drivers.

They were just fortunate, in that they did the right things, during that ~ 40 minutes.

Parallel parking isn't particularly hard.

It's perfectly possible, to pass the test, by pure luck.

It's also possible for someone to get through, on luck alone.

- no it doesn't but if the car inspection fails, so do you.

- the people who test you here (most of them anyway) are extremely picky.

- (parallel parking) for you maybe but a lot of people hate it and sadly aren't good at it.

- anything is possible to pass with pure luck.

Until TPTB state that Sheldon actually got his drivers license, I'm going to assume he still only has his learners permit because if he does have his license I don't see Lenny or Amy agreeing to keep driving him around when they don't have to.

• Like 2

lol yeah, 10-15 minutes sounds ridiculously short and manageable. If he had to take a 45 min test like he'd have to here I can see how he'll easily mess up. But 15 min??? I can actually believe that even Sheldon may be able to pull himself together for that duration and actually pass if he had a good day. He may not be the most confident driver and still make mistakes but he isn't that bad either. After all, he got Penny to the hospital and back years ago and since then gotten some more lessons from Amy. I find it believable that he's good enough to get his licence.

• Like 1

Ok sorry....15-30 min.  Just researched it for the state of California.  But again, it's extensive and they are EXTREMELY picky.  Some things is an automatic failure if you do (or don't do) some things.  And there's a list of things you can get dinged on (15 or more is failing) and again, it's any and all things (what I call "nit picky").  

He might pass it but again, I'll wait until we got confirmation that he actually got his license.

• Like 3

On 3/1/2016 at 10:47 AM, MJistheBOMB said:

*I want Lenny to continue working on whatever issues they still need to work on so that they can be more in sync with each other (not that they aren't in sync now but you know what I mean. LOL.) 9.12 will be the start of this when they each speak to that doctor lady.

*I want Lenny to move away from Sheldon because they deserve it and Sheldon has some growing to do of his own. I'd like to see Sheldon living alone for a while to be honest. It would really open his eyes to what everyone does for him and hopefully it will help him in many ways, like he can go out and get his drivers license and a car (I want this so badly. LOL) for starters. He seriously can't be driven around forever, he's not an old helpless man. LOL.

*Shamy engagement sounds nice ;-).

164363a6ae94b3f5d9c0e5fedbaaad28.gif.6ec

Especially the second point! I've wanted Lenny to live on their own for a while: it's time for the writers to buckle up and take this risk - still can't get why they consider it a "risk", BTW, they're married, for the sake of God! And the main trio will still exist anyway! I'm pretty sure that a little change in the living arrangements would be one of the best things that could ever happen to this show. Sheldon living alone for some time would be quite interesting, too. Of course Amy is in the picture, now more than ever, but that doesn't mean she should move in with him immediately. She will eventually, that's for sure. Yet he still has some lessons to learn and maybe living on his own would help... Who knows?! BTW, friendly reminder... #theringiscoming :imsohappy:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ShLe94 said:

164363a6ae94b3f5d9c0e5fedbaaad28.gif.6ec

Especially the second point! I've wanted Lenny to live on their own for a while: it's time for the writers to buckle up and take this risk - still can't get why they consider it a "risk", BTW, they're married, for the sake of God! And the main trio will still exist anyway! I'm pretty sure that a little change in the living arrangements would be one of the best things that could ever happen to this show. Sheldon living alone for some time would be quite interesting, too. Of course Amy is in the picture, now more than ever, but that doesn't mean she should move in with him immediately. She will eventually, that's for sure. Yet he still has some lessons to learn and maybe living on his own would help... Who knows?! BTW, friendly reminder... #theringiscoming :imsohappy:

its funny how my posts got deleted but this still remains....

*moderators*... could you please explain... and also let me know what part of my first post was negative....

6 hours ago, ShLe94 said:

Sheldon living alone for some time would be quite interesting, too. Of course Amy is in the picture, now more than ever, but that doesn't mean she should move in with him immediately. She will eventually, that's for sure. Yet he still has some lessons to learn and maybe living on his own would help... Who knows?! BTW, friendly reminder... #theringiscoming :imsohappy:

I'd actually find it quite interesting if Amy was the one who's like "you know, let's not be hasty" here keeping it with their dynamic when it comes to big steps. I mean, we know Sheldon's intentions and when he knows what he wants he's going for it, and he's the one who's calm and secure in his decision. And when things get real it's Amy who's all nervous and stuff. Depending on when the topic comes up they could draw this out over a few nice arc-like episodes with Lenny moving out, Shamy thinking about moving in together but decide to take it slow so that it ends up with Sheldon living alone for a bit. Or something like that. Idk. Just throwing this out there... lol

• Like 5

On 4. Januar 2016 at 1:18 AM, Strawberry PopTart Fan said:

I love this,Mj! It was made for this Thread! Sweet, special moments between both couples. I've watched it 3 times already. Thank you!

Wish I could watch it, but doesn't work in my region. :umbrage:

BTW: Rewatched a lot of episodes from season 7 over the holidays and I noticed there were many great group scenes that were truly hilarious! That made me miss them even more in season 9. So let's keep our fingers crossed that there will be more of this again in the second half of the season. :party:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, April said:

I'd actually find it quite interesting if Amy was the one who's like "you know, let's not be hasty" here keeping it with their dynamic when it comes to big steps. I mean, we know Sheldon's intentions and when he knows what he wants he's going for it, and he's the one who's calm and secure in his decision. And when things get real it's Amy who's all nervous and stuff. Depending on when the topic comes up they could draw this out over a few nice arc-like episodes with Lenny moving out, Shamy thinking about moving in together but decide to take it slow so that it ends up with Sheldon living alone for a bit. Or something like that. Idk. Just throwing this out there... lol

I like your way of thinking! :good::icon_cheesygrin:

9 hours ago, April said:

It will be a really nice way to handle the situation...I mean, Lenny need to live alone like...yesterday; I want them to have some privacy as soon as possible and to live by themselves. I have no idea how it can be achieved in the show (who takes which apartment, who will start the discussion about changing the living arrangements first, stuff like that) but I'm hopeful it will be achieved soon enough (200th episode??) On the other hand, even if a really want Shamy to advance in their relationship, living together, getting engaged and married (not necessarily in this order...) I don't like the idea of an automatism like "Lenny out-Amy in"...It can be interpreted as Sheldon not being able of staying alone, which is also true at some extent...Of course it will depend on how the writers will handle the situation, they can be romantic and convincing enough to make this automatism believable and even tender, but I'd prefer Sheldon alone for some time, and Shamy rebuilding their relationship without pressure for a while...

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

It will be a really nice way to handle the situation...I mean, Lenny need to live alone like...yesterday; I want them to have some privacy as soon as possible and to live by themselves. I have no idea how it can be achieved in the show (who takes which apartment, who will start the discussion about changing the living arrangements first, stuff like that) but I'm hopeful it will be achieved soon enough (200th episode??) On the other hand, even if a really want Shamy to advance in their relationship, living together, getting engaged and married (not necessarily in this order...) I don't like the idea of an automatism like "Lenny out-Amy in"...It can be interpreted as Sheldon not being able of staying alone, which is also true at some extent...Of course it will depend on how the writers will handle the situation, they can be romantic and convincing enough to make this automatism believable and even tender, but I'd prefer Sheldon alone for some time, and Shamy rebuilding their relationship without pressure for a while...

Yes, I agree. This is also what I liked about how the writers approached the whole coitus issue. There was no pressure involved, it felt like a very natural progression of their relationship and character development, and overall it was just handled with a lot of delicacy and care in the way they made the characters interact. And I hope they'll handle the living arrangements with a similar sensitivity.

I mean, yeah, a lot of humour is always coming from Sheldon being a man-child and hard to live with and all that, but even with this season I feel like they don't want to rely on that too much. When Lenny stayed with Sheldon after 9x04 many expected that this would lead to a lot of funny situations with them annoying each other - but when the actual episodes were out? uhm... I guess you could count the earworm plot but that's really it. Even the callback to oatmeal day was just that and not Sheldon being an annoying prick about it. Whatever Leonard and Penny complain about to the therapist in the upcoming episode all happened off screen apparently. So it's really not the show needing this constellation in 4A to keep their plots and gags going.

And I also still think that they're trying to keep the momentum and continue to push Sheldon's character development here. Heck, the other upcoming episode has him being sick and a prick off screen, but then the actual story is about him trying hard (and failing hilariously in part) to apologise to this friends and better himself. If they continue like that with him I can easily see him both 1) being able to live alone without needing Amy to take care of him after Lenny move out, and 2) wanting to live with Amy for her own sake, because he loves her and he wants her close. I'm not sure if they'll have the time to fully explore the "living alone" angle but I sure do hope that they'll make a point stressing that Amy isn't moving in as Sheldon's new caretaker.

My ideal scenario would be a bit of a multi-episode storyline (like with the dating that went on in the background for a bit) that starts with Lenny deciding to move into 4B for real now (maybe thanks to a lingering positive effect after their talks with the therapist), and Sheldon actually letting them go without a big fuss. They could continue with an episode about the logistics of merging all of Lenny's stuff into one household - maybe decide to get rid of some clutter, other things need to be stored away or stay in 4A as a compromise. But in the end it could be the cute and funny episode about those two forging their lives together into one. And on the other side you could have Shamy pondering on when and how to move in together as well and, as said above, it would be nice if they take their time with this because ultimately they'll have the same challenge as Lenny.

The more I think about it, Lenny and Shamy moving in together could make a nice parallel story that could show how differently the couples deal with a similar situation (much like the breakup we saw Amy and Sheldon going through similar experiences - I thought that was kinda neat).

• Like 5