Jump to content

When does it get back to its glory?


thomahawk
 Share

Recommended Posts

Is it just me or are there others around who just wait until the show gets about nerds again? I loved it in the beginning while it was about themes nerds do and love, like computers, science, SF, but two things happened since then: First, the women appeared. I mean, of course there was always the female neighbour and what comes with that, but suddenly the nerds all have a girl. And all the stories changed to be about boys and girls. I mean thats the same any other sitcom is about and the thing that was so special about this one has almost gone. Then the second happened I think around the same time all the girls appeared, our boys have become something I would not call friends anymore. I mean, all they do all the time is annoying and breaking down each other. It is really sad.

From time to time I look back into newer episodes, but its still the same boy girls troubles. What once was the main thing, the nerds thing, is still just incidental decoration around the same old, same old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The show was never ONLY about that, not even in the beginning.  It was and still is about socially awkward geniuses interacting outside their bubble/comfort zone.

"I mean, all they do all the time is annoying and breaking down each other. It is really sad."

They busted each others chops in the early days too. Such as Leonard's infatuation with Penny, Sheldon being a "whackadoodle", Howard still living with his mother, Raj's ethnicity & selective mutism.  I don't see where that changed at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Show wasent just nerds. It was more characters living on the backdrop of geek culture. And chopping each other down? They did that in s1. It was about the impact of a hot girl on four eggheads. Geek chic was a fad, and if as still 99% focus. Would be very passe. Show was always about relationships. 95% Of 1-3 was centred around Leonard and Pennys romantic relationship. So while i agree it was more fresh and unique back in the day. Does not make current bad, just different. I think OP a bit unfair characterizations a tad harsh. S8 was actually getting stale. Because they were relying on old gags and storylines. This season fresh storylines has revitalized show. Obviousley OP you dont like change in the show haha. But all your key points has always been the case in this show. Your acting like its a new development. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, thomahawk said:

Is it just me or are there others around who just wait until the show gets about nerds again? I loved it in the beginning while it was about themes nerds do and love, like computers, science, SF, but two things happened since then: First, the women appeared. I mean, of course there was always the female neighbour and what comes with that, but suddenly the nerds all have a girl. And all the stories changed to be about boys and girls. I mean thats the same any other sitcom is about and the thing that was so special about this one has almost gone. Then the second happened I think around the same time all the girls appeared, our boys have become something I would not call friends anymore. I mean, all they do all the time is annoying and breaking down each other. It is really sad.

From time to time I look back into newer episodes, but its still the same boy girls troubles. What once was the main thing, the nerds thing, is still just incidental decoration around the same old, same old.

I'm totaly agree with you, I have no interest in love stories. I was bored with Lenny, I just think Bernadette and Howard are funny as a couple, and why not for Shamy, but it need the less romantic set. What I like in Shamy is that Amy is a totally strange female, and Sheldon doesn't often care about her. If you keep off the stories of scientists it stays nothing more that 4 guys. Who will watch a sitcom that named 4 guys? I don't care how Penny is dressed, I find her too nude the more often, as if I like the Bernadette's false hair, she appears too nervous everytime, the girls don't bring anything, they just create suspens, and sadness. I'm a girl and I'm not for to be exposed as this. 

102643_d0135b_2.jpg

Make me thing I express myself as Stephen Hawking, the Nobel is not so far.

Edited by Cécile Dull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bbt has always bn about a,love story. And Pennys too nude?,Lol shes wearing clothes. And Bernadette fake hair, is she wearing a wig?? Girls bring suspense and sadness? Thats a strange comment. Pennys always been the bright bubbly girl next door. You want suspense and sadness. Go watch the unaired pilot without kaley/penny. Now thats sadness. You cannot do the show without Penny. Without Amy and Bernadette sure. But the premise is based on Penny. The experiement of a hot girl on four nerds. And Shamy without a romantic set? Thats kinda hard when they are in a romantic relationship. Lenny boring? Well thats a personal opinion. To me i find shamy very boring, almost sleepy. I find Lenny very compelling. Especially last ep haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't find Penny hot, I find her superficial and narrow minded, I think she is on Sheldon, but try to make him jalous with his friend she is not honest, typically the bad girl. And I ask myself, what have to do a only girl with 4 boys, it sounds bizarre. Why Leonard has interest with her, not with a girl of his school(?), he is a brillant scientist and a clever person, Penny stays always negative and contemptuous with him and friends, she hits Howard and is always reproachful with Sheldon, I don't understand her problem in life. Bernadette is just more well dressed than her (needed to be add). And Amy is correct(also). In BBT the love stories are about problems and incapacities for boys to stay friends.

Bernadette looks amazing, I've nothing against her this way.

She has a good hair stylist,

1298102416_B971440262Z.1_20131119173715_

Edited by Cécile Dull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, thomahawk said:

Is it just me or are there others around who just wait until the show gets about nerds again? I loved it in the beginning while it was about themes nerds do and love, like computers, science, SF, but two things happened since then: First, the women appeared. I mean, of course there was always the female neighbour and what comes with that, but suddenly the nerds all have a girl. And all the stories changed to be about boys and girls. I mean thats the same any other sitcom is about and the thing that was so special about this one has almost gone. Then the second happened I think around the same time all the girls appeared, our boys have become something I would not call friends anymore. I mean, all they do all the time is annoying and breaking down each other. It is really sad.

From time to time I look back into newer episodes, but its still the same boy girls troubles. What once was the main thing, the nerds thing, is still just incidental decoration around the same old, same old.

What is it exactly that 'comes with that' - I'm not sure I understand your point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"What comes with that" of course its our nerds (or any men for that matter) who have a (some say hot) neighbour will try to date her. Of course tbbt has always also been about relationships. But it was way more interesting (and fitting) while our scientists tried to have girls. Now they all have them, its like the story has reached the end seasons ago and now we see it over and over again. Its just dumb. Maybe I should cut out all the parts where those girls appear (mainly Amy and Bernadette, I can't stand either of them) and just enjoy the science and SF reference parts.

Edited by thomahawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, thomahawk said:

"What comes with that" of course its our nerds (or any men for that matter) who have a (some say hot) neighbour will try to date her.

Yeah, no. Sheldon didn't try and date her. 

Quote

Of course tbbt has always also been about relationships. But it was way more interesting (and fitting) while our scientists tried to have girls. Now they all have them, its like the story has reached the end seasons ago

So your original compliant was that the show should be more about science/sci fi and less about relationships but now you say that the show has reached it's conclusion because they all have girlfriends/wives ...?

Quote

(mainly Amy and Bernadette, I can't stand either of them) and just enjoy the science and SF reference parts.

You are more than entitled to not like either of them but they are both scientists and have brought neurobiology and microbiology scientific topics into the show so again your point seems contradictory to me.

This show has always been about, to paraphrase Chuck Lorre, "extraordinary people dealing with ordinary situations" the banter between the guys has always been there and the relationships aspect has always been a large part of the story too.

I would strongly disagree that the 'nerdy' aspect of the show is gone, this season alone we have had:

  • The different scientific methods to remove the stuck bolt on the van wheel
  • A song about Thor Vs Indianna jones
  • The guys using fencing lessons as an excuse to act out their lightsaber/game of thrones/princess bride fantasies 
  • Grammar banter with the Helium 'dealer' 
  • A documentary about Spock
  • A complicated scavenger hunt involving translating klingon 
  • A game of friend, fight, eat involving fish

That isn't including the little science/sci fi jokes littered throughout the episodes.

The only difference between this season and the previous ones that I can see is that there is an overall arc of the breakup, they have never done an arc that lasted (at least) half of a season before and a lot of people haven't liked that change BUT I don't think it's fair to blame 'the women' as you put it, for that change as they have been there since season 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Penny is with Leonard to make Sheldon jealous? That's a very odd comment. Your usually very strange in your views. But that is the oddest yet. Your basing this on what exactly? Can't be she is with Leonard because she loves him? It has zero to do with Sheldon boy. I think your making a very unfair characterization of Penny. She hit Howard? Your kidding right she did that once in Season 2 lol. But she has matured a lot since then. And not very nice? I am sorry we are clearly watching two very different shows, and two very different Penny's. I don't find Bernadette attractive, I find Penny more attractive as it is. Sounds to me as your generalizing Penny. Because she is not a nerd like Amy or Bernadette. Narrow Minded and Shallow? So Shallow she dated the nerd from across the hall for nine years, got ya. And Leonard was with someone who was more schooled (Who's being shallow now?). Priya, it didn't work out because he is in love with Penny. That is the whole point of the show defying socieites conventions and rules. Lenny defy soceitys rules. It woulden't be the same show if Leonard and Penny weren't together, they symbolize what the whole show is about imo. That's where the charm of the show comes from Penny. SO I am sorry I disagree severly.

Edited by 3ku11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2015, 4:10:00, 3ku11 said:

Penny is with Leonard to make Sheldon jealous? That's a very odd comment. Your usually very strange in your views. But that is the oddest yet. Your basing this on what exactly? Can't be she is with Leonard because she loves him? It has zero to do with Sheldon boy. I think your making a very unfair characterization of Penny. She hit Howard? Your kidding right she did that once in Season 2 lol. But she has matured a lot since then. And not very nice? I am sorry we are clearly watching two very different shows, and two very different Penny's. I don't find Bernadette attractive, I find Penny more attractive as it is. Sounds to me as your generalizing Penny. Because she is not a nerd like Amy or Bernadette. Narrow Minded and Shallow? So Shallow she dated the nerd from across the hall for nine years, got ya. And Leonard was with someone who was more schooled (Who's being shallow now?). Priya, it didn't work out because he is in love with Penny. That is the whole point of the show defying socieites conventions and rules. Lenny defy soceitys rules. It woulden't be the same show if Leonard and Penny weren't together, they symbolize what the whole show is about imo. That's where the charm of the show comes from Penny. SO I am sorry I disagree severly.

To add to this, Cecille's one-eyed view also ignores ALL the good things Penny did for Leonard and his friends:

-Such as singing soft kitty for Sheldon when he's sick.

-Helping Sheldon get his W.O.W. stuff back.

-Putting thought into matching up Howard with the woman who eventually became his future wife (Bernadette)

-Even getting Bernadette to talk to him again AFTER they broke up.

-Going with Raj to the People's Magazine party when his friends wouldn't.

-Buying Leonard a helicopter to cheer him up.

-Making Leonard's graduation speech possible.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg.  Penny has more than made up for any rude behavior she has committed over the years, by being a good and generous friend. 

On 11/21/2015, 6:33:56, Cécile Dull said:

In BBT the love stories are about problems

-and incapacities for boys to stay friends.

-Yes because those love stories NEVER have any good times in them at all. :icon_rolleyes:

-The boys are still friends, just because they have women in their lives hasn't changed that.

Edited by meka3000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Penny is with Leonard to make Sheldon jealous? That's a very odd comment. Your usually very strange in your views. But that is the oddest yet. Your basing this on what exactly? Can't be she is with Leonard because she loves him? It has zero to do with Sheldon boy. I think your making a very unfair characterization of Penny. She hit Howard? Your kidding right she did that once in Season 2 lol. But she has matured a lot since then. And not very nice? I am sorry we are clearly watching two very different shows, and two very different Penny's. I don't find Bernadette attractive, I find Penny more attractive as it is. Sounds to me as your generalizing Penny. Because she is not a nerd like Amy or Bernadette. Narrow Minded and Shallow? So Shallow she dated the nerd from across the hall for nine years, got ya. And Leonard was with someone who was more schooled (Who's being shallow now?). Priya, it didn't work out because he is in love with Penny. That is the whole point of the show defying socieites conventions and rules. Lenny defy soceitys rules. It woulden't be the same show if Leonard and Penny weren't together, they symbolize what the whole show is about imo. That's where the charm of the show comes from Penny. SO I am sorry I disagree severly.

 

12 hours ago, meka3000 said:

To add to this, Cecille's one-eyed view also ignores ALL the good things Penny did for Leonard and his friends:

-Such as singing soft kitty for Sheldon when he's sick.

-Helping Sheldon get his W.O.W. stuff back.

-Putting thought into matching up Howard with who eventually became his future wife (Bernadette)

-Even getting Bernadette to talk to him again AFTER they broke up.

-Going with Raj to the People's Magazine party when his friends wouldn't.

-Buying Leonard a helicopter to cheer him up.

-Making Leonard's graduation speech possible.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg.  Penny has more than made up for any rude behavior she has committed over the years, by being a good and generous friend. 

-Yes because those love stories NEVER have any good times in them at all. :icon_rolleyes:

-The boys are still friends, just because they have women in their lives hasn't changed that.

Penny and Leonard have a relationship, but Penny is really often at the boy's flat, than Leonard to her appartement.

She used to wear intimacy clothes during this moments, as if there were no difference in the ratio with Leonard and Sheldon.

So she creates a special relation with Sheldon, and that's why as a friend of both, she is currently with them, as a 5th boy.

Penny has no interest for nerd's science, she makes it feels to Sheldon, but cross this to her boyfriend, that's strange.

So it makes me realise she is an awkward girl; awkward girl, awkward boy, who looks like Sheldon more than Penny, certainly not her oposite Amy.

Then she realises she was in a long term story with Leonard, she became to be more maternal with Sheldon, to stay closer to him, and to assure him she always will prefere him.

Her relation with Leonard always was really light, but when she faces Sheldon, she becomes really serious and concerned, as to tell him, 'now you can be as concerned as I am with you, with me.'

So she is as if cool, sympathetic, and friendly, especially the kind of girl men criticized and justify sometime rudeness.

Edited by Cécile Dull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it´s time to Amy show her beauty, dressing better, maybe to be laureate with a NOBEL !!!!! :shy::icon_cheesygrin:
Should be nice if Kripke show some interest on her.
It will be nice if she show her beauty as soon as possible, because this "Ugly Betty style", no longer works.
We know that Amy is pseudo-engaged to a Saudi prince named Faisal, who funds her laboratory. Should be amazing if he appear fall in love for her, and he should be amazing beatufil! LOL
Sheldon should go green with envy!! :sarcastichand:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest sladenoddy
On 11/21/2015, 12:33:56, Cécile Dull said:

I don't find Penny hot, I find her superficial and narrow minded, I think she is on Sheldon, but try to make him jalous with his friend she is not honest, typically the bad girl. And I ask myself, what have to do a only girl with 4 boys, it sounds bizarre. Why Leonard has interest with her, not with a girl of his school(?), he is a brillant scientist and a clever person, Penny stays always negative and contemptuous with him and friends, she hits Howard and is always reproachful with Sheldon, I don't understand her problem in life. Bernadette is just more well dressed than her (needed to be add). And Amy is correct(also). In BBT the love stories are about problems and incapacities for boys to stay friends.

Bernadette looks amazing, I've nothing against her this way.

She has a good hair stylist,

1298102416_B971440262Z.1_20131119173715_

don't watch it then.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really understand the complaints here. Season nine has had some good stuff in it so far. It could turn out to be my favourite season so far. Overall I think the show has improved. Now that they are all coupled up they are not on the prowl for meaningless hookups which kind of irked me in the early seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people are always wanting t put the show in a box and declare that it can or should only be about one thing, which they think was what it was supposed to be about.  I've read comments where people who identify themselves as "scientists" or "nerd" or whatever, claim that the show was originally intended to be about people like themselves and that now it's no longer "their" show, especially since it "hit the big time" in ratings and is no longer this small cult show.

 People used to do the same thing with The X-Files because it went from cult show to mainstream hit, or because they dared to do funny episodes.  "It's not supposed to be funny!!  It's supposed to be dark and scary!!"

Putting the show in a box.

 With TBBT, the characters have to evolve because the show is more character-driven and somewhat self-contained.  I think they've kept a nice balance between nerd adventures and relationship developments, and they've been able to show the deeper side of most of the characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Cécile Dull said:

 

Penny and Leonard have a relationship, but Penny is really often at the boy's flat, than Leonard to her appartement.

She used to wear intimacy clothes during this moments, as if there were no difference in the ratio with Leonard and Sheldon.

So she creates a special relation with Sheldon, and that's why as a friend of both, she is currently with them, as a 5th boy.

Penny has no interest for nerd's science, she makes it feels to Sheldon, but cross this to her boyfriend, that's strange.

So it makes me realise she is an awkward girl; awkward girl, awkward boy, who looks like Sheldon more than Penny, certainly not her oposite Amy.

Then she realises she was in a long term story with Leonard, she became to be more maternal with Sheldon, to stay closer to him, and to assure him she always will prefere him.

Her relation with Leonard always was really light, but when she faces Sheldon, she becomes really serious and concerned, as to tell him, 'now you can be as concerned as I am with you, with me.'

So she is as if cool, sympathetic, and friendly, especially the kind of girl men criticized and justify sometime rudeness.

I am sorry whatever you are smoking pass it over please?:icon_cheesygrin:. Penny Is Sheldon, no no she is LEonard, hold on she is OBama. Penny is black so I find white people are very not black, I no no. But yeah marrying the love of your life, is so not serious.. She married Leonard for heck sakes. They have been together for 5 years, how can you justify she prefers Sheldon. She clearly prefers Leonard/.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 21/11/2015, 17:18:20, Cécile Dull said:

The word 'nerd' is not very flattering.

But it's better than "Geek". Am I the only one who knows the original meaning? There's a classic film called Nightmare Alley.

Edited by JohnPhD
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.