Jump to content
The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

911 'The Opening Night Excitation' (December 17)

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, gwhh said:

How do you think having "sexual relations" with a woman will change Sheldon & Amy in general?   

Writers and producers have been very loud in their interviews on this episode in saying that having a sexual relationship (not in general with "a woman" or "a man", but with the love of your life) won't change what the characters  and the couple essentially are, so I don't think we'll see a big shift for either of them. Actually, IMO, what may have been changed the couple for the best is (as far as I didn't like the plot at all) the break up and how they menage to recover from that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gwhh said:

How do you think having "sexual relations" with a woman will change Sheldon & Amy in general?   

Amy had sexual relations with a woman huh.gif 

I thought that had only happened in a few fanfics?

7 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

and how they menage to recover from that.

"Menage"?

Is that a Freudian slip? :icon_biggrin: 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 8:20 AM, gwhh said:

How do you think having "sexual relations" with a woman will change Sheldon & Amy in general?   

It's not going to change him into a Casanova, the way so man fanfics do, I don't think, going by what tptb have been saying.  I think that, as mirs1 was saying, the ordeal of the breakup was what will change them toward each other.  I think that's one reason why we didn't see "Amy's side of it" that much.  I think they've done a lot of showing how she would get frustrated at his self-centeredness, or his sometimes childish streak and having to be constantly "teaching" him how to be a better boyfriend.

So them being apart was more about him realizing that he didn't want to be without her and that he was a better person because of her influence and that he didn't want to be "just friends", no matter how hurt he had been.

I think the decision to take that final step was, as he said, a way for him to show her how much she means to him--a way to demonstrate his love to her--but not necessarily a signal that he has somehow opened some kind of floodgate that's going to make him think or behave like Howard or anything.

I think we may see more kindness or perhaps unprompted thoughtfulness from Sheldon toward Amy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he remained somewhat clinical or objective about the subject of coitus, the way he was when he mentioned it as a "gift" option to Penny and Bernadette.

Edited by phantagrae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, phantagrae said:

Mary's comment wasn't meant to be an endorsement of couples sleeping together outside of marriage.  It was more along the lines of that old saying about buying the milk when you already have the cow.  Like, why worry about a wedding date when they're already sleeping together.

I am curious as to whether or not they're going to deal with the topic with Mary at some point.

Thank you for explaining that, Phantagrae ! It was something that confused me when Mary said it. I'd like to see how she responds if she learns of Sheldon's new circumstances. The 'whore your brother's datin' ' may only be one in her eyes because she's giving away the milk,perhaps. Mary doesn't intend to let the ring go to her anyway but is happy to let Amy have it.  I live in a country where Religious Studies is compulsory in all schools. Opting out requires positive confirmation  from parents. When I was at school the subject was still called Scripture or Religious Instruction and much more focussed on straightforward Bible content than it is today. The Biology and the RI curricula coincided on sexual matters along the lines of ' this is what you're not supposed to be doing ' :). It wasn't just religious people like Mary who thought that way : the general cultural norm regarding sexual behaviour too, in the days before the pill became officially prescribable to all women including the unmarried, was much closer than today to the mores of the Church of England we'd been brought up with, whether or not we saw things from a religious viewpoint.  It was a matter of right and wrong in the world.  You paid for what you had.  From your explanation, I can see that Mary was expressing a view that was around in my teens and twenties - and may well for all I know still exist outside sitcom land - that if you did have sexual intercourse with someone to whom you were not married ( even if you weren't religious enough to call it the sin of fornication ) you eventually married that person. A young man would be considered by his peers as uncool if he'd 'had' a girl without the intention to marry her. To risk pregnancy was as morally obligating as accomplishing it. OTOH An unmarried girl who allowed anyone but her intended to see what was 'under her cardigan' was known by names I won't type here and she was fair game for all randy blokes when the word got round.

Out-of-wedlock pregnancy meant you had to get married : if you weren't already engaged it meant you made the best of things because there were consequences to actions and if you were engaged you brought the wedding date forward. We had the saying, 'If you can't be good, be careful. If you can't be careful, buy the pram.' Similar to what you said about milk and the cow.
All the same, the ideal was to wait for the wedding night. There were jokes about why it was wrong to have sex before marriage : not polite to keep the vicar and wedding guests waiting. The 'junk' is still  nicknamed ' wedding tackle' and 'family jewels' although many young people no longer know why.  Leonard and Howard have both done what we'd have called ' the decent thing' which Mary would approve of although they don't even think of  their marriages  as that.  Amy said she intended to marry Sheldon four years after Bernadette's wedding and she'd register for wedding presents with the laboratory that supplied cadaver parts because she wanted a whole skeleton. It's interesting that we're getting close to that time if I've done the maths properly.

At least Sheldon knows Mary's POV, which was why he was shocked to discover she had a lover. ( I wonder if he'll be landed with a stepfather ? ) Amy's mother OTOH seems to have brought her up with mixed messages. She must not have her ears pierced and should eat a banana from the middle like a nice girl, but go on dates at least once a year and be sexual .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

 

At least Sheldon knows Mary's POV, which was why he was shocked to discover she had a lover. ( I wonder if he'll be landed with a stepfather ? ) Amy's mother OTOH seems to have brought her up with mixed messages. She must not have her ears pierced and should eat a banana from the middle like a nice girl, but go on dates at least once a year and be sexual .

I think that Amy's mother is concerned more for her daughter to be settled than to be sexual,  she wants her to date to find a boyfriend\husband, not a lover. In her teens years she told Amy that "Self respect and hymen are better than friends" (or something like that) and in the  Skype call Sheldon and Amy made to her pretending to be in a physical relationship she appeared relieved at the beginning to know that Amy was in a relationship with someone, but very upset when Sheldon spoke about sexual intercourse with her daughter. It seems to me she shares the same views of Sheldon's mother about pre-marital sex, but they don't come from a religious belief, at least it was never mentioned in the show up to now whether she is religious.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

I think that Amy's mother is concerned more for her daughter to be settled than to be sexual,  she wants her to date to find a boyfriend\husband, not a lover. In her teens years she told Amy that "Self respect and hymen are better than friends" (or something like that) and in the  Skype call Sheldon and Amy made to her pretending to be in a physical relationship she appeared relieved at the beginning to know that Amy was in a relationship with someone, but very upset when Sheldon spoke about sexual intercourse with her daughter. It seems to me she shares the same views of Sheldon's mother about pre-marital sex, but they don't come from a religious belief, at least it was never mentioned in the show up to now whether she is religious.

That sounds right about  Amy's mother, thanks. I was relying on memory as they haven't shown that episode here recently. My guess is it will pop up some time in the next fortnight. There are lots of repeats every day from different seasons and they seem to be ones that contain reminders pointing to what the current episode is about. We get 9/10 on Xmas Eve but on NYE it's something called A to Z of Big Bang instead so we'll see 9/11 no doubt on 7th Jan.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved how it showed Sheldon actually worrying about how things would go even though he fully understood the the "mechanics" of it

And Professor Protons reaction when Sheldon said "I think they call it their 'junk'" was priceless.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, FortCozyMcBlanket said:

It reminded me a lot of The Prom Equivalency where Amy is nervously rambling before she can tell Sheldon she loves him and he ends up saying "I love you too" before she gets it out and she has a panic attack as a result lol :) 

Ha! True, thanks for pointing that out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mirs1 said:

Writers and producers have been very loud in their interviews on this episode in saying that having a sexual relationship (not in general with "a woman" or "a man", but with the love of your life) won't change what the characters  and the couple essentially are, so I don't think we'll see a big shift for either of them. Actually, IMO, what may have been changed the couple for the best is (as far as I didn't like the plot at all) the break up and how they menage to recover from that.

I don't expect much to change except possibly some new running jokes and an end to the ones about Amy never getting satisfied.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

and an end to the ones about Amy never getting satisfied.

Well, Bernadette can't make the "theoretical sex life" comment anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Well, Bernadette can't make the "theoretical sex life" comment anymore.

...and that, which I forgot about. I don't think it happened so often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

...and that, which I forgot about. I don't think it happened so often.

True, but there was also her comment, about nobody wanting Amy to express her sexuality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So how is Amy going to change after becoming a full fledge woman!!

 

Will she starts to dress like a normal woman and leave the little house/Amish woman on prairie outfits at home!! 

 

Maybe she will buy a sports car!!  I see her in an Mazda Rx-8!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gwhh said:

So how is Amy going to change after becoming a full fledge woman!!

 

Will she starts to dress like a normal woman and leave the little house/Amish woman on prairie outfits at home!! 

 

Maybe she will buy a sports car!!  I see her in an Mazda Rx-8!!

 

Amy is no more or less a women than before. That statement in bold is insensitive.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23 December 2015 at 2:47 AM, gwhh said:

So how is Amy going to change after becoming a full fledge woman!!

 

Will she starts to dress like a normal woman and leave the little house/Amish woman on prairie outfits at home!! 

 

Maybe she will buy a sports car!!  I see her in an Mazda Rx-8!!

 

Sex doesn't make anyone any more or less of a woman or a man.

There is nothing wrong with the way Amy dresses.

I'm not sure why using her sex organs for the first time would influence her car choice at all?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, lennyx3 said:

Amy dresses like a normal woman.

Her clothes look normal to me. They wouldn't sell them if women didn't buy them. When she wears a dress she looks very nice. Why she needs a cardigan over a dress in temperatures that would have British women going around in suntops and shorts does amaze me, I'll admit. However, Raj has at least four  layers on even indoors.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picking up on a couple of points on this thread:

Sheldon and his Mum's response. I am pleased Sheldon has finally decided to ignore the religious atmosphere he was brought up in and 'done his own thing' in his decision to sleep with Amy. (As he generally does as he's told where she's concerned). The episode where he discovers his Mother inflagrante feels like the moment where he can subsequently counter any argument she might present should he make this decision. He reiterates at the start of 9.11 that he doesn't believe in God and perhaps that's significant at the start of that particular episode. 

When 9.11 will air in the UK. This is quite interesting this year. If memory serves at this point we usually have a fairly long hiatus so that the scheduling of the second half of the season is uninterrupted. As I've said in the Shamy thread, we usually see the 'Xmas episode' in February or thereabouts. Lol. I wonder if they will do something different this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Listgirl said:

Picking up on a couple of points on this thread:

Sheldon and his Mum's response. I am pleased Sheldon has finally decided to ignore the religious atmosphere he was brought up in and 'done his own thing' in his decision to sleep with Amy. (As he generally does as he's told where she's concerned). The episode where he discovers his Mother inflagrante feels like the moment where he can subsequently counter any argument she might present should he make this decision. He reiterates at the start of 9.11 that he doesn't believe in God and perhaps that's significant at the start of that particular episode. 

When 9.11 will air in the UK. This is quite interesting this year. If memory serves at this point we usually have a fairly long hiatus so that the scheduling of the second half of the season is uninterrupted. As I've said in the Shamy thread, we usually see the 'Xmas episode' in February or thereabouts. Lol. I wonder if they will do something different this year. 

I don't think Sheldon's reluctance to get physical had anything to do with his mothers religious teaching which he rejected completely. It seemed to stem more from his aversion to being touched at all.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought this debate was about Sheldon dealing with his Mum on this matter, I was simply addressing the issue from that angle.

Perhaps I should of added that whatever fuss she makes (should she actually make one) he's unlikely to give a stuff and I'm not sure he has always been written as sufficiently independent from her influence possibly creating some ambiguity whatever the real reason for him stalling over sex. 

Edited by Listgirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Listgirl said:

Picking up on a couple of points on this thread:When 9.11 will air in the UK. This is quite interesting this year. If memory serves at this point we usually have a fairly long hiatus so that the scheduling of the second half of the season is uninterrupted. As I've said in the Shamy thread, we usually see the 'Xmas episode' in February or thereabouts. Lol. I wonder if they will do something different this year

I think you might be right. Judged by the trailers on E4 which include snippets from 9.11, it won't be long. It's 9.10 tonight . Next week there's an A to Z of Big Bang instead. I'm guessing they'll keep up the timing this season so that they're a fortnight behind the U.S. When the next Radio Times comes out we'll know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

Sex doesn't make anyone any more or less of a woman or a man.

Agreed ! I am old enough to have  grown up under the influence of the professional women who were trained at the start of the 20th century, of those who lost their sweethearts in The Great War of 1914 to 1918, and of those reached maturity when there just were not enough men of their age alive. These were librarians, teachers, lecturers, doctors, managers, hospital sisters, youth leaders, choir mistresses, preachers etc. No way did these splendid people have their womanhood reduced because of enforced virginity ! It's a great generation that's gone now, but many of us remember them with gratitude having benefitted in many ways from their loss.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, joyceraye said:

Agreed ! I am old enough to have  grown up under the influence of the professional women who were trained at the start of the 20th century, of those who lost their sweethearts in The Great War of 1914 to 1918, and of those reached maturity when there just were not enough men of their age alive. These were librarians, teachers, lecturers, doctors, managers, hospital sisters, youth leaders, choir mistresses, preachers etc. No way did these splendid people have their womanhood reduced because of enforced virginity ! It's a great generation that's gone now, but many of us remember them with gratitude having benefitted in many ways from their loss.

No need to go back so far. Even today some people choose to remain single. I know a few people born in the 50's and 60's that never did significant dating and likely never will. Embrace diversity. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.