The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
katzinhatz1

too much given away in previews?

Ok I have a question for all of you who haven't been following the spoilers. Do you think the promo showing Amy and sheldon reuniting ruined the suspense for the episode or gave too much away tonight? Same goes for the next episode. I have been glued to the spoilers so I've known what happens, but while watching the 2 promos for episode 10 and 11 made me wonder how ppl who wanted the show to be a surprise would react. Let me know. I'm just curious

• Like 2

I agree. I'm spoiled -- happily so -- and while I'm very glad to see the story line going where I believe it is ultimately headed, it does leave me feeling a little whistful for the pure surprise value of the first viewing.

Plus, I can't imagine anyone at this point -- spoiled and unspoiled alike -- doesn't know what to expect as the key plot for 9x11.

I do understand the "why," however. TPTB knew this one was going to get leaked. There was no other way around it than being the premptive strike...

Edited by Beckyseyedoc
  • Like 2

I haven't seen the latest previews but think they have included too much information for the unspoiled.  Personally I love knowing what is going to happen but it must be frustrating for those who have gone to great lengths not to know to have a preview come on when they are not expecting it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Beckyseyedoc said:

I agree. I'm spoiled -- happily so -- and while I'm very glad to see the story line going where I believe it is ultimately headed, it does leave me feeling a little whistful for the pure surprise value of the first viewing.

Plus, I can't imagine anyone at this point -- spoiled and unspoiled alike -- doesn't know what to expect as the key plot for 9x11.

I do understand the "why," however. TPTB knew this one was going to get leaked. There was no other way around it than being the premptive strike...

i think the reason why so much was given away was to turn these two episodes into "rating traps." i hate using that phrase, but that is essentially what is happening. shamy's reconciliation and the potential coitus between the two of them are something that people have been waiting on for quite awhile, so they are going to hype it up (and in this case spoil it) as much as they can to get viewership. it makes sense from a business standpoint. still, i think they leaked too much. i feel the suspense for this episode was ruined for the people not following the spoilers. what is worse is that an article was released to the public about what would happen in ep 11 prior to the time that the promos for this episode were released. like i said, it seems like a way of increasing ratings (considering that the ratings for this season supposedly dropped a ton since shamy broke up). 

• Like 2

I am just so happy that I haven't been watching much TV since the previous episode. I had no clue what was about to unfold last night. I just watched the episode about an hour ago. It was GREAT!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, katzinhatz1 said:

Ok I have a question for all of you who haven't been following the spoilers. Do you think the promo showing Amy and sheldon reuniting ruined the suspense for the episode or gave too much away tonight? Same goes for the next episode. I have been glued to the spoilers so I've known what happens, but while watching the 2 promos for episode 10 and 11 made me wonder how ppl who wanted the show to be a surprise would react. Let me know. I'm just curious

It's a dilemma most shows have. What can you put into a promo for the next episode to lure as many people to it without telling too much. Also, I think those promos they show at the end of an episode is for the people who just turned in but don't watch the show regularly.  Fans, who watch every week anyway don't need those promos to turn in the next week.

• Like 1

I don't think to much gets revealed in the promos, however, it would have been nice to have kept the reunion underwraps for the unspoiled as their reconciliaition wasn't as publicised as the content of next weeks was.

• Like 1

i am heavily spoiled (lol) and i still think there's totally too much info in previews... I like KNOWING what happens in  the episode, it gives me a peace of mind, i like knowing what to expect, but i wanna SEE it for the first time on screen, so that there's this freshness/ novelty, so that while i kinda knew what was gonna happen, it still seems new to me and i can be shocked..

Because reading the TR and seeing a pic/video is TOTALLY not the same thing, for me there's a huge difference.. So for me TRs are okay as spoilers, but promos etc not as much, i wish i had a little bit less of the 'visual' knowledge of how it's gonna look on the screen...

Don't get me wrong, if it was a 1 hour show, or if it was same 30 min show but 3 and not 7 main characters (like in some sitcoms), i would not mind this amount of spoilers, because there'd be much much more in the episode! 

However, this is a half hour show, with commercials 21 minute (when we're lucky), 7 characters, so, for example, if we're talking about Shamy moments, i know that no matter how Shamy-heavy an episode will be, it will only feature max. 7-8 minutes of Shamy , and promo vids + promo pics + sneak peeks give away like half of that!

On December 11, 2015 at 12:27:13 AM, katzinhatz1 said:

i think the reason why so much was given away was to turn these two episodes into "rating traps." i hate using that phrase, but that is essentially what is happening. shamy's reconciliation and the potential coitus between the two of them are something that people have been waiting on for quite awhile, so they are going to hype it up (and in this case spoil it) as much as they can to get viewership. 

If that is what they were going for, it didn't work.  Demo ratings were flat from the previous new show, the Platonic Permutation,  and only a half a point above the repeat two weeks ago). In viewers, they were at 15.27 million, up from 15.18 million, for the last new show.  Statistically, a tie.  Both of the recent new shows have been down a tenth from the shows prior to them.  

• Like 2