Euro 2016

No Regrets

1 hour ago, Jonny83 said:

Devastating own goal by Iceland, players and fans must be absolutely gutted.

It would probably been a goal any way. But really sad for the players the fans and the Swedish coach Lars Lagerbäck .

I must say that I´m impressed of Iceland to even qualify for the euro 2016.

It only lives about 300 000 people on Iceland and to the last game in the group stage they are expecting 30000 Icelandic fans to Paris.

That 10 percent of the whole country to one football game !!

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

I am, and I'm not even Icelandic. But, having lived there, I can somewhat identify with them.

I have been there on vacation and it is a really special country. The nature is like nothing else I have ever seen.

5 minutes ago, Lagernisse said:

It only lives about 300 000 people on Iceland and to the last game in the group stage they are expecting 30000 Icelandic fans to Paris.

That 10 percent of the whole country to one football game !!

I have been there on vacation and it is a really special country. The nature is like nothing else I have ever seen.

Yeah, 10% is crazy.  It really is a special country.   When I was there, I made the trip to Grímsey, so I could say I was above the Arctic circle.  This past week, my daughter was in Nordkapp, Norway. Further north  than I was. 

3 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Yeah, 10% is crazy.  It really is a special country.   When I was there, I made the trip to Grímsey, so I could say I was above the Arctic circle.  This past week, my daughter was in Nordkapp, Norway. Further north  than I was. 

I did a trip all around Iceland along the ring road when I was there, and in two weeks I´m also going to Norway ,but to the Lofoten Islands.

Portugal v Austria

Game underway. Portugal with a early corner which they work short to Ronaldo who waste little time in testing Almer with a high ball forcing Almer to tip behind for a corner. However Ronaldo volleys over the bar from the resulting corner. A chance for Harnik who heads wide from 4 yards out after been setup by Sabitzer’s inch perfect cross from the right.

A miss from Nani who places his header from 6 yards out over the bar when he really should have hit the target. Its been a pretty evenly contested to this game that neither side can aford to lose. A double save from Almer denies Nani with his legs in a one to one situation before tipping Vierinha’s drive from the edge of the box. The game has picked up pace both teams taking it to the other whenever in possession. I am sensing goals and lots of them this evening.

What a miss. Brilliant one-two down the left open Austria up but incredibly Ronaldo misses the target from 6 yards out. Portugal have really taken control of this game now you get the feeling it only a matter of time before they open the scoring. Another chance goes begging Nani heading against the post before the rebound is thumped over the bar. How many chances does Portugal need to score.

Fun fact: Portugal have had more shots on goal in the opening half an hour of this march than any other side. Back to the game.

Alba curls a freekick with pace toward the far post forcing vieirinha to clear with his head otherwise that would have been the opening for Austria. It half time and incredibly the scoreline is still goalless but not for want of trying.

What a start to the second half as IIsanker test Patricio with a well struck shot from distance that the Portuguese keeper is forced to push wide of the post. Good save. It seems like Austria mean business in the 2nd half they came out with far more intent. A save from Almer as he beat away a fiercely struck effort from 25 yards out from Ronaldo. Almer once again stands firm to keep out Ronaldo’s bullet close range header from a corner. How Portugal haven't scored yet is baffling.

Another fun fact: The last time Portugal had more first half shots than tonight (13) without scoring in a Euros match was v England in 2004 (16)

The Austrian defence is doing a good job of keeping Portugal at bay and furstrating them.

Update: Ronaldo has now had 17 shots in this game and has had more shots at Euro2016 than any other player, but is yet to score. Misfiring.

This match is getting more and more scrappy the longer it goes on, with constant interruptions for fouls, free-kicks. Austria aren’t as under the cosh as they were earlier,

Portugal get a penalty as Hinteregger is penalised for pulling back Ronaldo in the box. There is no doubt its a spot kick.

What a miss and wow. Ronaldo spot kick hit the base of the post with Almer going the wrong way. Not Ronaldo or Portugal day you can sense the Portuguese nerves and frustrations but still pushing for that elusive goal why Austria are coming out a bit more trying to grabbed a goal on counterattacks.

Ronaldo thumping effort from a freekick is disallowed as the linesman raised his flag for offside. Austria manage to hold on for the final whistle.

I’m not sure how that game ended scoreless, Ronaldo missed several great chances tonight, not least the penalty from which he hit the base of the post. Well aleast we now know Ronaldo is human.

Portugal 0 v Austria 0

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

To me Ronaldo doesn´t seem to be in balance, just look how he whined after the game against Iceland.

He has never been balance he is ignorant and full of himself and thinks he is better than everyone else. Im so glad he had a bad day at the office. He missed 4 out his last 5 penalties and still wanted to take the spot kick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

I am sensing goals and lots of them this evening.

Maybe not! :icon_wink: That's the trouble with doing match reports as you go I suppose!

Ronaldo had an absolute shocker tonight. Worst game he's had in years. He had a number of chances- not half-chances, but real, clear-cut, scoreable chances- and he messed up the lot of them. The penalty miss was the most notable lowlight of a terrible evening for Cristiano.

Doesn't make Zlatan look so bad now, does it? :icon_wink:

1 hour ago, Tonstar17 said:

He has never been balance he is ignorant and full of himself and thinks he is better than everyone else. Im so glad he had a bad day at the office. He missed 4 out his last 5 penalties and still wanted to take the spot kick.

I don't think that's ignorance or arrogance to want to take your own aww penalty kick. Many players have bad runs where they don't score penalties but when you look at the players Portugal had on the field and who was most likely to score that penalty, Ronaldo would have been your man (not to mention that he won the penalty for himself).

And I didn't see Nani or Pepe or anyone else go up to Ronaldo and offer to take the penalty kick. If Ronaldo, as the captain, winner of the penalty kick in question, Portugal's leading goal scorer, most capped player and designated penalty taker decided to delegate the penalty to Nani, then there would have been an absolute uproar from people saying that Ronaldo was a coward and should have taken it himself.

• Like 1

Any thoughts, Tonstar? Have you done a match report?

I thought England were pretty atrocious. But we're through and that's the main thing. Roy Hodgson's position as England coach looking increasing precarious as this tournament progresses.

10 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

What the hell England? Spain out, now this. Never thought i will see the day England losing to Iceland. Early days tho. Come on England.

Lagerbäck has never lost to England, just to let you know

I think that Iceland will run out of steam in the second half 

Probably but i can see England running out of steam as Iceland are very good defensively and will counterattack given the chance. They beat Holland twice during qualifications and Italy as well. Optimistic in the 2nd half. Yes and no.