The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MTBigBangTheoryFan

How is TBBT is a copycat of Friends?

I have never understood why people say The Big Bang Theory is a copycat of Friends.

How can that be? I have never thought that it was a copycat of Friends.

Friends is not first show to be about 'Friends'. Three's Company, Cheers, Seinfeld and Mad About You are just some of the shows that were about a Group of Friends but we're all different.

Then following Friends while there may have been some copycat some shows that were about Friends like Will & Grace, That '70s Show and Big Bang Theory were are not like Friends and were/not not copycats. and are different

True, there aren't the same but it has some similarites. A usual hangout (the guys apartment vs Monica's apartment). And don't forget the Ross/Rachel curse people feared the writers would create for Leonard/Penny. Date a year, break up, get together for a night (love car displacement, though it ultimately didn't happen on TBBT).

But then, in today's saturated TV world you can hardly come up with something that won't look like something else. And no matter what plot you write, the Simpsons probably did it already :icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 3

Well true before Friends their were those types of shows like Three's Company, Seinfeld, and Cheers. But Critics heralded Friends for being "the first true 'ensemble' show". Friends influenced a ton of the big comedies after it was done in 04. I think people compare the shows materialistically. In this day in age I agree, it is hard to be completely original these days. Like they say with the Simpsons, Friends redefined how Ensemble comedies were written. Some even give the show in terms of dialogue credit for Gilmore Girls and Scrubs. You look at a lot of the storylines in Friends, like Ross and Rachel the original on and off romance (Leonard and Penny, Ted and Robin. Although Leonard and Penny broke that trope. Ted and Robin were more Ross and Rachel, getting together in the final episode). Group Setting's take out, hang out at Central Perk (Mclarens, BBT you could say 4A). You see shades or shows like HIMYM and TBBT derive from the show. Of course TBBT has its own agenda. I always thought it had way more dissimilarities to Friends, HIMYM has way to many similarities. Hence why I always preferred TBBT, more unique and fresh. It's the same with Friends and Seinfeld comparisons.

I never understood those, the shows could not be any different. The pilot alone is different. Friends was a show about that time in your life where everything is possible. Seinfeld was a show about well nothing lol. I don't think TBBT specifically has that much in common, just the idea it is an ensemble comedy. And in terms of trends, their are some episodes that are similar to storyline to Friends. That people make the comparisons.  That and the characterization is similar. Like in HIMYM people compare Marshall to Chandler. Barney to Joey. in BBT Leonard to Ross, Sheldon to Ross some people believe it or not haha. Ted to Ross clearly. Penny has more in common with Rachel then Robin clearly. Being a waitress e.t.c. But despite the similarities between TBBT and Friends, their are way too many dissimilarities to even notice. But because people fixate on the similarities in characterization and storylines, you hear people make those comparisons between the shows. That and Friends compared to current comedies was the original.

Edited by 3ku11

2 hours ago, son-goku5 said:

True, there aren't the same but it has some similarites. A usual hangout (the guys apartment vs Monica's apartment). And don't forget the Ross/Rachel curse people feared the writers would create for Leonard/Penny. Date a year, break up, get together for a night (love car displacement, though it ultimately didn't happen on TBBT).

But then, in today's saturated TV world you can hardly come up with something that won't look like something else. And no matter what plot you write, the Simpsons probably did it already :icon_cheesygrin:

Since I did not really watch friends except an episode or two there perhaps are similarities I'd miss.

Overall I think TBBT has a lot of originality and it is really distinct. It was inspired computer science students  Bill had known at university I believe. No idea what inspired Friends but I'm sure it was not computer science students.

2 hours ago, djsurrey said:

Since I did not really watch friends except an episode or two there perhaps are similarities I'd miss.

Overall I think TBBT has a lot of originality and it is really distinct. It was inspired computer science students  Bill had known at university I believe. No idea what inspired Friends but I'm sure it was not computer science students.

From what Bill said. The show was based on an expereiment of a Hot Girl on Four Eggheads. So basically how Penny helps develop their social development. But I agree, as my point was TBBT has alot of dissimilariites to Friends. I just think people fixate on the idea of TBBT being an ensemble comedy, a very popular one. Prob the most popular ensemble comedy since Friends. And the characterization is vaugely similar.

2 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

From what Bill said. The show was based on an expereiment of a Hot Girl on Four Eggheads. So basically how Penny helps develop their social development. But I agree, as my point was TBBT has alot of dissimilariites to Friends. I just think people fixate on the idea of TBBT being an ensemble comedy, a very popular one. Prob the most popular ensemble comedy since Friends. And the characterization is vaugely similar.

So I found an actual quote from http://collider.com/the-big-bang-theory-creators-chuck-lorre-and-bill-prady-interviewed/

Lorre: We were discussing two different ideas together. One was about a woman who’s pretty much getting her life started at the beginning of adulthood. And Bill was talking about the 80s and the genius computer programmers that he was one of. And they were such remarkable characters that it kind of took over and then we said “What happens if we put the two ideas together?” and then I think the big move was to get them out of the computer world entirely and make them quantum physicists. They’re not entrepreneurs. They’re scientists. That freed us up from a lot of clichés. No pocket protectors!

There is a lot in there that does not sound like Friends. For me some of these things are the reasons I am interested in TBBT.

I don't people ever have said its a direct copy of Friends. Because its not. But simply because before Big Bang, HIMYM, Two and a half men, Modern Family e.t.c. Friends really influenced the multi camera sitcom genre a lot. So people see similarities in characterization and story telling. And Friends did most of these storylines first. So people automatically make the connection. Especially seeing currently these days its impossible to be completely original. But BBT has its own agenda, and I Don't think theirs anything specifically similar with the shows at all, if anything theirs more dissimilarities. Just when their is similarities they are glaring. Like Joey telling Rachel why the sofa is seated in front of the tv, to get the perfect velocity and angle. Sheldon anyone? lol. Or in S3 Friends Tow where everybody is late. Chandler to joey get off my spot! Ross and Rachel Storyline. Leonard and Penny, and Ted and Robin. Monica and Chandler and Sheldon and Amy I suspose. But Monica and Chandler were completely different characters to Sheldon and Amy. Central Perk/Mclarens. In BBT prob 4A e.t.c.

Edited by 3ku11

48 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

I don't people ever have said its a direct copy of Friends. Because its not. But simply because before Big Bang, HIMYM, Two and a half men, Modern Family e.t.c. Friends really influenced the multi camera sitcom genre a lot. So people see similarities in characterization and story telling. And Friends did most of these storylines first. So people automatically make the connection. Especially seeing currently these days its impossible to be completely original. But BBT has its own agenda, and I Don't think theirs anything specifically similar with the shows at all, if anything theirs more dissimilarities. Just when their is similarities they are glaring. Like Joey telling Rachel why the sofa is seated in front of the tv, to get the perfect velocity and angle. Sheldon anyone? lol. Or in S3 Friends Tow where everybody is late. Chandler to joey get off my spot! Ross and Rachel Storyline. Leonard and Penny, and Ted and Robin. Monica and Chandler and Sheldon and Amy I suspose. But Monica and Chandler were completely different characters to Sheldon and Amy. Central Perk/Mclarens. In BBT prob 4A e.t.c.

Two and a Half Men and Modern Family? sorry I  am not getting that. what do  they have  to with a show about Friends? 

Modern Family is a s comedy about a Family. And TAAHM is not a sitcom about friends.  And Friends did not influence the Multi-Camera Sitcoms. I Love Lucy did.  

I have haired people say that TBBT is a direct copycat of Friends but it not true. They both happened to have a group of friends on it. But  so did Seinfeld which came before Friends. 

And some Seinfeld fans like to say that friends was a copycat of Seinfeld. But that also not true  

If there something that If there one thing that Big Bang Theory, Mad About You, Friends, That '70s Show and How I Met Your Mother had in common it was that at least two of the guys in the group slept/dated with the same women.

6 minutes ago, MTBigBangTheoryFan said:

Two and a Half Men and Modern Family? sorry I  am not getting that. what do  they have  to with a show about Friends? 

Modern Family is a s comedy about a Family. And TAAHM is not a sitcom about friends.  And Friends did not influence the Multi-Camera Sitcoms. I Love Lucy did.  

I have haired people say that TBBT is a direct copycat of Friends but it not true. They both happened to have a group of friends on it. But  so did Seinfeld which came before Friends. 

And some Seinfeld fans like to say that friends was a copycat of Seinfeld. But that also not true  

If there something that If there one thing that Big Bang Theory, Mad About You, Friends, That '70s Show and How I Met Your Mother had in common it was that at least two of the guys in the group slept/dated with the same women.

No I never said Friends was the most influential. I said Friends influenced todays comedies. I love Lucy was in the 50's of course that was the first. But that was not my point at all. I was saying how Friends re defined the ensemble comedy format. Yes MF is about Family. But its an ensemble. They don't have in common the fact two of the guys slept with the same women, yeah that. But the fact its a group setting hanging out, people fixate on.

I have been watching friends lately because it on all the time on the comedy channel in the UK. I must admit there is a lot of stuff that was done on friends and you now see on tbbt. Have to admit tbbt are ribbing off a lot of what happen on friends.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

I have been watching friends lately because it on all the time on the comedy channel in the UK. I must admit there is a lot of stuff that was done on friends and you now see on tbbt. Have to admit tbbt are ribbing off a lot of what happen on friends.

While that may be true, I don't know, I never sit through a full episode of friends. I have tried and find it unappealing. Clearly TBBT has elements that Friends never had. Whatever elements TBBT might have that are similar are not the thing I tune in for. TBBT has managed to come up with elements that appeal to a niche audience as well as elements that appeal to a wider audience.

While that may be true, I don't know, I never sit through a full episode of friends. I have tried and find it unappealing. Clearly TBBT has elements that Friends never had. Whatever elements TBBT might have that are similar are not the thing I tune in for. TBBT has managed to come up with elements that appeal to a niche audience as well as elements that appeal to a wider audience.

Ì get where you are coming from and yes there are elements to tbbt that are unique in it own way. Eg the science, the comics and the awkward friendship sometimes etc. But a lot of the jokes is what i mean. Been done on friends.

• Like 1

Mataralistically TBBT derives from Friends. Even the whole Sheldon seating pattern. Watch S7 Joey does it with Rachel, talking about the perfect seating pattern between Rosette :D and the TV. I think some may find Friends unappealing, because it does not meet your sensibilities. BBT has the geeky side, the science that makes it unique. Friends was very relationship driven, and very mainstream. SO not everyone is into the norm. I guess it is all what you relate too. Friends is my all time fav sitcom, because their is not a situation in the show I Can not relate too. IT is a very universal show. I Guess problem with Big Bang you cannot sit down Sheldon and Leonard and have universal conversations. Penny is prob the most unievrsal character on the show. In Taahm you can but not Big Bang. BBT attracts a more niche audience. But Friends had a more broader audience. Point was that Friends did alot of th ejokes and matatial before Big Bang, Himym E.t.c. Big Bang has its own agenda, but this is a fact. No Friends , no Big Bang. My original point was lol, Big Bang has always been about relationships. 

2 hours ago, Tonstar17 said:

But a lot of the jokes is what i mean. Been done on friends.

A lot of the jokes on Friends derive from shows like "I Love Lucy" and/or "The Honeymooners" or other sit-coms on early television, or even going back to radio shows.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tensor said:

A lot of the jokes on Friends derive from shows like "I Love Lucy" and/or "The Honeymooners" or other sit-coms on early television, or even going back to radio shows.  

True. I guess Friends created the whole "well they , or won't they" scenario angle you see a lot in sitcoms these days. I just hear Critics heralded Friends as the first ensemble show of its kind. It's like with Family Guy copied Simpsons. It did, but Simpsons also derived a lot from The Honeymooners, The Twilight Zone. It's just compared to Family Guy, South Park . Simpsons has been on tv a lot longer. Same with Friends when compared to Bbt and Himym, even That 70s show (which incidentally a lot ppl compare to Big Bang). Is compared to Friends. Ppl always remember the original first. Aesthetically I don't think Bbt is all that similar in design to Friends. Matarialistically it derives a lot. Adhesive Duck, 43 penc. In Friends Tow everybody is late. When Chandler steals Joeys spot. Very similar to Sheldons spot etc. Same with I don't think Friends was anything like Seinfeld.

19 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

True. I guess Friends created the whole "well they , or won't they" scenario angle you see a lot in sitcoms these days. 

How about "Remington Steele"?  Or "Cheers" or going back to the sixties, "I Dream of Jeanie" among others. 

I just hear Critics heralded Friends as the first ensemble show of its kind.

Depends on what you mean by  "it's kind".  There were ensemble shows like "Our Miss Brooks" which went back to radio.

It did, but Simpsons also derived a lot from The Honeymooners, The Twilight Zone. 

The Flintstones were derived from "The Honeymooners", but The Simpson's don't have the "Ed Norton" best friend character and "The Honeymooners" didn't have kids.  The only parts of "The Twilight Zone appears on the Halloween specials. 

It's just compared to Family Guy, South Park . Simpsons has been on tv a lot longer. Same with Friends when compared to Bbt and Himym,

Is compared to Friends. Ppl always remember the original first. Aesthetically I don't think Bbt is all that similar in design to Friends. Matarialistically it derives a lot. Adhesive Duck, 43 penc. In Friends Tow everybody is late. When Chandler steals Joeys spot. Very similar to Sheldons spot etc. Same with I don't think Friends was anything like Seinfeld.

As of September, TBBT will have been on the air as long as "Friends", and probably for more.  So, I don't see where you can say it's the same with Friends and TBBT as it is with Simpsons(27 years) and comparisons of Family Guy(14 Years) and/or South Park(19 years).  Not to mention, even Family Guy, with the shortest run of the three cartoons, has been on as long as longest live action sitcom.  

Is compared to Friends. Ppl always remember the original first. 

Which is why I remember those shows from the fifties and sixties as the originals.  

• Like 1

TBBT isn't, IMO, a copy of Friends, but some of the stories do involve rehashes of friends stories.

For instance, the box of Leonard related stuff, Penny keeps.

That exact scene occurred in Friends, even down to the airline ticket, and the reason Ross and Leonard bought them.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1

Fair enough. I have never seen those shows or radio broadcast you mentioned. So I'll give you the benefit of doubt.

There are even stories, based on events in Frasier.

The one where Bernadette signs a Get Well Soon card, thinking it is a Retirement card, is similar to a Frasier story.

46 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Fair enough. I have never seen those shows or radio broadcast you mentioned. 

Yeah, I have seen them because I'm old.  :shy:

• Like 1

Yeah, I have seen them because I'm old.  :shy:

Lol. Im sure being old has nothing to do with it. I have heard of those show and they have been re runs on British tv but was never interested enough to watch them.

10 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Lol. Im sure being old has nothing to do with it. I have heard of those show and they have been re runs on British tv but was never interested enough to watch them.

Actually it does.  It was a different culture.  TV was relatively new, but, there were generally only three networks( four if you counted PBS).   No DVRs (or even tapes), no internet, no video games. You watched what was on, after all, you only had three choices.  But you were excited by it and you generally knew all the shows.

It was like having a motion picture theater in your living room.  All other forms of entertainment required getting dressed up(suits for men, dresses for women) just to go, for example), to see a movie. And there was one movie time, with a couple of cartoons(shorts as they called them ) and possibly a newsreel, this was shown in Broadway like theatre.   Why do all that when you could see several different types of shows in the same amount of time...

with the number of choices today, you have the luxury to pick and choose over 200 showed at any one show.  In those days, you only had three choices, so you didn't have room to pick and choose. 

• Like 5

Actually it does.  It was a different culture.  TV was relatively new, but, there were generally only three networks( four if you counted PBS).   No DVRs (or even tapes), no internet, no video games. You watched what was on, after all, you only had three choices.  But you were excited by it and you generally knew all the shows.

It was like having a motion picture theater in your living room.  All other forms of entertainment required getting dressed up(suits for men, dresses for women) just to go, for example), to see a movie. And there was one movie time, with a couple of cartoons(shorts as they called them ) and possibly a newsreel, this was shown in Broadway like theatre.   Why do all that when you could see several different types of shows in the same amount of time...

with the number of choices today, you have the luxury to pick and choose over 200 showed at any one show.  In those days, you only had three choices, so you didn't have room to pick and choose. 

Im not as young as you might think. :) i remember in the UK we only had 4 channels and they all went off air at midnight if we are lucky. 1am. if you were lucky enough to own a VCR you could watch one show and record another. thank God for video store rentals and commodore 64. But back then i wasn't really a TV addict and would rather hang out on street corners with my mates, getting up to no good or playing football manager games for hours. Lol