913 The Empathy Optimization (January 14th)

Tensor

22 minutes ago, FortCozyMcBlanket said:

Does anyone else think this may have been a hint of foreshadowing of a rift between Raj and Emily (especially given what we know about the next episode)? 

If there is I think Emily will get a lot more sympathy now than before this episode.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

If there is I think Emily will get a lot more sympathy now than before this episode.

I agree Raj was being bit of a dick to Emily I think. He should of defended Emily. Instead of Sheldon doesen't mean it. Sheldon does mean it lol. That's the whole point. 

• Like 1

I have to say that this was my favorite episode of the Season.   Oh, I love the Shamy make outs and consummation, but this episode really moved me in many ways:

1. I loved the opening scene with the girls talking about the Superhero movies.   One of my favorite episodes was when the girls were trying to understand the comic books and got into the argument about Thor.   I'm glad to see a return to that, and also that Penny is watching these movies with Leonard, and paying attention, apparently.
  2. Enjoyed Penny's line "I love me some Leo."   Oh, Leonard, you didn't even catch it, did you?
  3. The flashback to Sheldon being mean to everyone trying to help him.   My favorite was him taking offense to Penny groping every other guy but him.    I guess he's pretty much gotten over his aversion to touch.    Poor Shelly belly.  He really needed his Amy there to put that vapo rub on his chest for him.   The chicken and stars killing him had me on the floor rolling with laughter.
  4. Cracked up at Raj being referred to as Emily's brown patch of skin.
  5. Sheldon referring to himself as a return of their ray of sunshine.
  6. Sheldon in bed on his stomach talking to Amy on Skype; can you say adorable?   I loved the way he calls his friends "loved ones."
  7. Amy's reference to sleet, gunfire, and hail in Detroit.   Hilarious!   She ended the call before things became fire and brimstone with Sheldon.   Good call Amy.  
  8. The guys acknowledging that Shamy's relationship had improved as a result of the breakup.   Raj confirming that the guys know about the coitus.
  9. Amy gives Sheldon a class on empathy, and he actually tries to learn and then gives himself a quiz in front of the teacher so she can critique him to see if he gets it.  
  10. Sheldon called Amy on another lie, and Amy didn't apologize for her reasoning.
  11. Sheldon's sincerity in apologizing, starting with Leonard, and then criticizing Leonard for not playing the game right.  
  12. The apology tshirts to Howardette.   I want one, now.   I can't believe he pulled his phone out to take a picture.   I didn't know Sheldon was so sentimental.
  13. Sheldon including Stuart in his apologizes even if Stuart isn't his favorite friend.   How sweet is it that Stuart was hand delivering his comic books to him!
  14. I loved that Raj admitted that Sheldon is not a jerk on purpose but that Emily wouldn't accept Sheldon's apology.
  15. Sheldon being Sheldon in thinking Raj was being empathetic by asking him "What is wrong with you?" and then wanting to go apologize again to Emily.
  16. Sheldon's willingness to bail out of the weekend for everyone else and being proud of his personal growth.
  17. Sheldon showing up on the bus so he could have another chance to apologize to Emily, not only for offending her now, but for doing so in the future. 
  18. Sheldon, like a father, demanding "Stuart, Now!" when he tried to make excuses for not wanting to leave the bus.
  19. Sheldon acknowledging that "pain in the ass" was indeed what he is.
  20. Raj's stripping and Penny stuffing money down his pants while Leonard looked on in disbelief.   I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I loved every single bit of this episode, but I must say Emily stole the show.     I see a rift forming between the two of them.   It seems she wants Raj to stand up for himself more, and I can't blame her for that.   I hope they will be a able to work through whatever issues they are going through in the next few episodes, because I think Emily really fits in well with the group.   I am glad they dialed back her creepiness.

Oh, did I say I loved this episode?

Edited by jenafan
  • Like 7

Pretty good review from AV Club. 

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/heartfelt-episode-big-bang-theory-sees-sheldon-rec-230785

As a kind of non-fan of Emily (don't dislike her, she's just kind of blah for me), this part made me giggle:

He’s repaired his relationship with Amy, but he still struggles to open up to his closest friends. That changes a bit when Sheldon, after lashing out at his friends (and Emily—yeah, I said it) when they try to take care of him when he’s sick, realizes that he’s been insensitive and cruel to the people he cherishes the most (and Emily). 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Gbb said:

Pretty good review from AV Club. 

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/heartfelt-episode-big-bang-theory-sees-sheldon-rec-230785

As a kind of non-fan of Emily (don't dislike her, she's just kind of blah for me), this part made me giggle:

The thing is the episode is a bust without Emily in it. Sheldon being a pain in the ass sick is nothing new. Emily being there gives  a new perspective on it. she learns what the others already know. I will agree with the AV Club's assessment that it is a bit out of left field that she's good friends with the girls, espicially Penny, when she's never seen on the show.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

The thing is the episode is a bust without Emily in it. Sheldon being a pain in the ass sick is nothing new. Emily being there gives  a new perspective on it. she learns what the others already know. I will agree with the AV Club's assessment that it is a bit out of left field that she's good friends with the girls, espicially Penny, when she's never seen on the show.

Emily basically has Penny's perspective in S1. An outsider looking in. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Itwasdestined said:

While being yet another story about the continuing maturing of the man child growing up ( I love the guy and he makes me laugh a lot but it would be nice to have some other characters have some growth stories- they all still need it), I enjoyed this episode a lot.

As I've mentioned earlier, I liked the opening with the 3 girls discussing superhero movies and the boys' reactions, as well as the inevitable turnaround to girl films. 

Interesting how Sheldon is now Skyping Amy from his bed now, possibly his way of saying I am comfortable having you in my bedroom now at any time, real or virtual. I liked how Amy dealt with him honestly and with good humour. It was one of their better Skype interactions IMHO. And I liked how she got Sheldon to understand and feel empathy while at the same time Sheldon being clueless about lack of sincerity about staying in Detroit.

For me this was the first time Emily looked like she was really part of the group and the writers seemed to be making a real effort to hint that she is often with them OFF SCREEN even though she hasn't been part of the ONSCREEN action. Sheldon has apparently offended her often in the past and expects to make that mistake in the future. They have all apparently had discussions about her being too good for Raj. Sheldon knows where she lives. It would appear she is part of girls nights. IT was weird in a way for me but I felt the writers were trying to make her like an early Penny. She's too good for Raj ( just like they couldn't see Leonard have a chance with Penny). She was the only one who wouldn't take crap from Sheldon and went sort of junior rodeo on him by not accepting his proposal. She even did the Season 3 Penny storm off when she was pissed off with her boyfriend. And at the end, when she sort of empathised with Sheldon, Penny gave her the kind of comment Leonard used to give her. I found her part in the episode tonight a good step forward in bringing her into the show more. The fight with Raj and her disgust with Raj at the end ( and possibly a bit of annoyance with Penny and Bernie giving him attention around the stripper pole) gives a bit of context to Raj's story in the next episode based on the taping report too. 

Loved the T shirts. Sheldon really seems to like giving them out. Loved Raj's coitus reference. Loved that they all knew Raj was going to go straight to the pole on the bus. Liked seeing Sheldon actually working on being sincere with his apologies with those he is really close with. Nice touch that he did it with Stuart as well, despite the Ugh Stuart comment earlier ( and it looks like we're back to the Stuart missing out plot device). Emily obviously isn't quite in that category yet because his facts were still apparent with his failed apologies with her but the fact he got there in the end was a big step.

AS I said earlier though, did we really NEED this story in order to get yet another Sheldon growth story? I have no problem with him being a dominant figure in the show but seriously was there a scene he wasn't part of in this? Just once, it would be nice if he didn't win in the end and they finished on the bus without him. It just made for another episode of the Adventures of Sheldon Cooper and His Friends, which I don't mind, but it just adds to the angst some have here about him dominating the show.

I laughed out loud plenty of times, although I can't remember any particular scene that affected me that way, so I enjoyed it. But time to move on to the other characters ( which I know isn't happening next episode so here's hoping for the next....or the next.... 

And does Vegas sponsor this show? Can't they come up with any other place to go away?

LOL. The major sponsers are Vegas and Plaid Shirts. I agree Sheldon was funny. But does him being a dominant force in the show. Mean he is involved in every scene? Everything the other characters did was all about Sheldon. Be nice if the characters did something that wasen't all about Sheldon. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

I agree; even with there being more focus on Emily (and like I said I think this might be leading somewhere), I felt this was kind of a filler episode. Mostly this episode kind of read like a children's book -- "Sheldon Learns How To Empathize". As a Shamy shipper I of course appreciated their cute skype sessions, and Amy's lines about Detroit are hilarious! :icon_cheesygrin: and I just can't get over Raj pole dancing!!! I love me some Koothrapartying! I really miss that party planner side of Raj! 

• Like 3

Hm. I wanted to like the episode, but it just didn't do much for me. It should have been great because there were a lot of group scenes, but the fact that it was once again all about Sheldon is what ruined it for me. I heart Jim Parsons, and I do enjoy Sheldon, but it's just too much. The part I liked the most was Emily standing up to him. 

I just need things to be more balanced. :icon_neutral: These characters are all so great and enjoyable, I wanna see more of everyone else.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Itwasdestined said:

While being yet another story about the continuing maturing of the man child growing up ( I love the guy and he makes me laugh a lot but it would be nice to have some other characters have some growth stories- they all still need it), I enjoyed this episode a lot.

As I've mentioned earlier, I liked the opening with the 3 girls discussing superhero movies and the boys' reactions, as well as the inevitable turnaround to girl films. 

Interesting how Sheldon is now Skyping Amy from his bed now, possibly his way of saying I am comfortable having you in my bedroom now at any time, real or virtual. I liked how Amy dealt with him honestly and with good humour. It was one of their better Skype interactions IMHO. And I liked how she got Sheldon to understand and feel empathy while at the same time Sheldon being clueless about lack of sincerity about staying in Detroit.

For me this was the first time Emily looked like she was really part of the group and the writers seemed to be making a real effort to hint that she is often with them OFF SCREEN even though she hasn't been part of the ONSCREEN action. Sheldon has apparently offended her often in the past and expects to make that mistake in the future. They have all apparently had discussions about her being too good for Raj. Sheldon knows where she lives. It would appear she is part of girls nights. IT was weird in a way for me but I felt the writers were trying to make her like an early Penny. She's too good for Raj ( just like they couldn't see Leonard have a chance with Penny). She was the only one who wouldn't take crap from Sheldon and went sort of junior rodeo on him by not accepting his proposal. She even did the Season 3 Penny storm off when she was pissed off with her boyfriend. And at the end, when she sort of empathised with Sheldon, Penny gave her the kind of comment Leonard used to give her. I found her part in the episode tonight a good step forward in bringing her into the show more. The fight with Raj and her disgust with Raj at the end ( and possibly a bit of annoyance with Penny and Bernie giving him attention around the stripper pole) gives a bit of context to Raj's story in the next episode based on the taping report too. 

Loved the T shirts. Sheldon really seems to like giving them out. Loved Raj's coitus reference. Loved that they all knew Raj was going to go straight to the pole on the bus. Liked seeing Sheldon actually working on being sincere with his apologies with those he is really close with. Nice touch that he did it with Stuart as well, despite the Ugh Stuart comment earlier ( and it looks like we're back to the Stuart missing out plot device). Emily obviously isn't quite in that category yet because his facts were still apparent with his failed apologies with her but the fact he got there in the end was a big step.

AS I said earlier though, did we really NEED this story in order to get yet another Sheldon growth story? I have no problem with him being a dominant figure in the show but seriously was there a scene he wasn't part of in this? Just once, it would be nice if he didn't win in the end and they finished on the bus without him. It just made for another episode of the Adventures of Sheldon Cooper and His Friends, which I don't mind, but it just adds to the angst some have here about him dominating the show.

I laughed out loud plenty of times, although I can't remember any particular scene that affected me that way, so I enjoyed it. But time to move on to the other characters ( which I know isn't happening next episode so here's hoping for the next....or the next.... 

And does Vegas sponsor this show? Can't they come up with any other place to go away?

Nothin' more to say.  :shy:

7 hours ago, No Regrets said:

Hm. I wanted to like the episode, but it just didn't do much for me. It should have been great because there were a lot of group scenes, but the fact that it was once again all about Sheldon is what ruined it for me. I heart Jim Parsons, and I do enjoy Sheldon, but it's just too much. The part I liked the most was Emily standing up to him. 

I just need things to be more balanced. :icon_neutral: These characters are all so great and enjoyable, I wanna see more of everyone else.

Funny I loved the episode. Different strokes and all. Dont get balance tho. Everyone was in this episode. Agree though Emily was the star.

8 hours ago, FortCozyMcBlanket said:

I agree; even with there being more focus on Emily (and like I said I think this might be leading somewhere), I felt this was kind of a filler episode. Mostly this episode kind of read like a children's book -- "Sheldon Learns How To Empathize". As a Shamy shipper I of course appreciated their cute skype sessions, and Amy's lines about Detroit are hilarious! :icon_cheesygrin: and I just can't get over Raj pole dancing!!! I love me some Koothrapartying! I really miss that party planner side of Raj! 

Its a filler because Shamy weren't centre of attention, right.

Edited by Tripper

8 minutes ago, Chiany said:

Sheldon/Jim was the best of this episode, pure brilliance.

The whole thing with Emily was a bit like the boy who cried wolf story imho, probably she has been indoctrinated by Lenny (and the rest).

But the episode overall was mediocre.

Thats not selective biast. Emily stood up for her self. Because to be quite honest Sheldon is an asshole. He may have been the best thing. Simply because of the reaction of the characters. Without them Sheldon is nothing. The episode overall was Sheldon, so therefore Sheldon is mediocre. 

• Like 1

I am going to try to be polite...

14 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Thats not selective biast. Emily stood up for her self.

Does not make her right.

15 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Because to be quite honest Sheldon is an asshole.

That is an opinion, not a fact.

16 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Simply because of the reaction of the characters. Without them Sheldon is nothing.

Works the other way too, the other characters need Sheldon to play of as well.
They all need each other.

16 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

The episode overall was Sheldon, so therefore Sheldon is mediocre. 

But Lenny was in the episode, so they are mediocre too by your way of thinking (which is the best thing you have said).

• Like 2

I liked the episode very much, it was funny and lighthearted, the tag just made my day! I was not very happy when I saw the promo for the episode, the idea of "Sheldon Cooper's apology tour" seemed forced and kind of old, but I liked how it played out on screen. Another memento (till the next time I will do it again, and knowing me I'm sure there will be a next time, LOL!) that's better to hold on my judgement until I see the actual episode... A little weird to know that now suddenly Emily is part of girls-night. I would have preferred to see on screen how Penny and her overcame their initial dislike, now they seem to get along really well. Nice to see Emily's creepiness toned down, that was bothering me a big deal last season. I still don't feel there is so much bond between her and Raj, though...I'm looking forward to see how the writers will develop their relationship, now I'm curious. Felt sorry for Stuart in the end, he was the only one left out of that trip, poor guy!

• Like 1