The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

915 'The Valentino Submergence' (February 11)

'The Valentino Submergence' - Season 9, Episode 15 
Airs Thursday, February 11 at 20:00 on CBS.

Sheldon and Amy host a live Valentine's Day episode of Fun with Flags, Leonard and Penny grapple with getting older, Howard and Bernadette find a surprise in their hot tub and Raj is torn between Emily and the cute girl he met at the Comic Bookstore.

Rate the Episode

• Like 2

advisory.jpg.4090e113f0bff9e945bfb596ca1

There's no junk-yard, Howard.  :icon_razz:

15.gif.27917d5ae9cce66324bea78e0b5cd906.

Edited by veejay
  • Like 3

OMG!!!  This was such a cute episode!!!  Well, except for Raj but then again, he deserved it!  

All you Lenny's who don't think they're happily married....WTF!!!  No, seriously...What.  The.  Fuck??!!  They looked in sinc and happy together to me!!  

I also loved Amy & Sheldon.  I didn't see anything wrong with anything either of them said and they (all 4) were hilarious!!  Especially Sheldon and I loved his and Amy's talk towards the end.

Edit:. Oh, and she comforted Raj in this one.  Kinda like she's comforted ALL the guys at some point or another.  Sometimes even multiple times.

But some of you guys seem to only worry when she does it for Sheldon.

NEWS FLASH.....

Thats the way Penny is.  She's caring and nurturing like that.  She's also "the guy" of the relationship.  Maybe you wouldn't like the way they treat each other but that's the personality of L & P.  And it works for them.  I saw a completely happily married couple who love each other deeply.  But I also saw flashes of their flaws they are STILL working on.  The over sensitive woman and the insecure man.  

Edited by Kathy2611
  • Like 8

Such a cute episode for everyone except Raj (who got what he deserved) and had a feeling that the 'big announcement' was that Bernadette is pregnant.

And also loved the talk that Sheldon and Amy had towards the end too.

• Like 3

It was one of the better episodes this season, plots for each of them and they fit them in pretty well.  Raj got just what he deserved, what an ass, it is sort of sad though, because it seems that this is end of Emily, I was starting to like her after she got over the creepy.  Lenny were funny, Penny going through an age crisis was funny, they are cute together.  And I so want 'Fun with Flags' to turn into ask Dr Amy about relationship problems.

• Like 7

Can Penny really not get past confetti and fries being thrown on her? That 21 year old was right, her age is showing in the fun department.

Despite some gender stereotypes still, Bernadette and Howard were at their most tolerable in awhile. Maybe the rabbit helped, plus that huge bomb for next week. Howard's line about vegetables in the promo had me cringing though.

Kripke's just a plain pervert, but I'm glad they found another way to use Fun With Flags. Sheldon acknowledging his break up's value was progress.

What wasn't progress was Raj moping and self loathing for the thousandth time. I also should probably be ticked that the Raj/Emily break up was nothing more than a joke montage with the punchline of Raj crying, but no writing work was ever put into that at all. I'm glad Raj has been stuck in that hole for about two seasons. The best thing I can say is that this was the right step in letting Raj's character move onto better stories. I'll be very upset with the show if a reunion happens later this season. Starting from scratch with their relationship execution is smarter than keeping an actress that limits Raj's screentime and weakens it.

• Like 1

I haven't laughed that much at an episode in a while..

Loved Lenny storyline, esp Leonard throwing fries at her lol
And i'm feeling for Penny with the age worries : ( 

Loved Howardette storyline for once, all of it, but especially them taking care of a rabbit awww
Also the line about hypochondria and 'mute' killed me hahaha. Howard i can relate more to you now

Kripke was hilarious although i don't understand half of what he says without subtitles

love finally seeing emotional side of Raj again 

And ofc Shamy... But their talk moment could have and should have been much longer!!

• Like 5

Good episode. Really was starting to like Emily, though. Wonder if we've seen the last of her. Pathetic Raj is always good for some laughs though. Thought the 3 couples were really sweet. Loved how Bernie dropped the Big news to the baby rabbit. Liked how they managed to give everyone about the same screen time, yet gave each couple a cute, sweet plot. Have to admit I laughed the hardest at Kripke!

• Like 2

I can tell I'm going to be in the minority here but the episode was okay at best. Actually the idea of the episode was much better than the execution. Most of my problem is related to time. 4 storylines 19 minutes just doesn't work. Agree with the posters about Raj getting what he deserved. Not really understanding his purpose on the show anymore. The Howdette storyline was fine. I think my wife and every unspoiled viewer knew Bernadette was pregnant when the rabbit appeared. The Lenny and Shamy storylines needed a little work IMO. I think the Shamy storyline was okay but I actually was more interested in seeing what Sheldon was going to say than the Lenny interruption. Then at the end with Sheldon talking like he was a relationship expert was too much. It's like Penny giving a speech on Physics. The Lenny storyline was all over the place. I get the idea of them getting older and that discussion was good. But them going to a restaurant, eating in the car, then a party and then back to 4a was a bit much. Would of liked of seen them at the party and in 4b. But they would of needed more time to show that. Thus 4 storylines was just too much.

OMG... I loved.... I tought was very F. hilarious... love all plots...I think it´s great when writers can surprise us in 20 minutes ( less actually ) with so many jokes/histories...

Maybe Kathy2611 is right - that L&P's relationship works for them, so we should just accept it for what it is.  I understand that relationships mature, but I guess I have felt that some of the passion that L&P had earlier on is absent.  Still feels to me like Penny never cuts Leonard any slack.  I just don't love their relationship as much as I used to.  OK.

Overall I enjoyed the episode - funnier than a lot of the other episodes this season.  Sheldon was terrific tonight.  

I guess Emily is gone.  Doesn't feel like they (the writers) ever really integrated her into the main characters lives - perhaps they planned this break-up from the beginning so they didn't want to get her too hooked into the main story.  I liked Emily.  Good ol' Raj doesn't know a good thing when he's got it so he chases after the girl he just met, who now got back together with her BF.  Serves Raj right.  Everyone else has moved on with their lives but Raj still stuck in neutral.  Sad.

And Howard and Bernie - wow!  Cool!  

• Like 1

Solid B+ from The AV Club: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/theres-lots-love-about-big-bang-theory-valentines--232145

There’s lots to love about The Big Bang Theory on Valentine’s Day

Holiday-themed episodes tend to have a way of forcing TV shows to really focus on creating a connective thread between the episode’s various plots. Sometimes the holiday theme is a way to bring a bunch of characters together for one big chaotic bit of comedy. Sometimes it allows certain pairings to separate and yet remain thematically connected across the half-hour. Tonight’s Valentine’s Day-themed episode of The Big Bang Theory falls into that latter category, with the day of love and companionship (or loneliness and gross capitalism, depending on where you stand) promoting an episode structure that sees each subplot nicely tied together.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Solid B+ from The AV Club: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/theres-lots-love-about-big-bang-theory-valentines--232145

There’s lots to love about The Big Bang Theory on Valentine’s Day

Holiday-themed episodes tend to have a way of forcing TV shows to really focus on creating a connective thread between the episode’s various plots. Sometimes the holiday theme is a way to bring a bunch of characters together for one big chaotic bit of comedy. Sometimes it allows certain pairings to separate and yet remain thematically connected across the half-hour. Tonight’s Valentine’s Day-themed episode of The Big Bang Theory falls into that latter category, with the day of love and companionship (or loneliness and gross capitalism, depending on where you stand) promoting an episode structure that sees each subplot nicely tied together.

He loses some points for hating Kripke so much. 

• Like 5

I really enjoyed tonight's episode.  It was wonderful to see Howardette start a new story arc that will be exciting and give life to their characters.   Some great quips tonight as well by everyone.   Leonard and Penny were hilarious, although I sure wish they had not interrupted what Sheldon was about to say, but I can forgive them because they made me laugh so much.   Was glad to read that Emily is very likely to return...so that is good.   

• Like 4

Solid episode, many laughs. Sad to see Emily go, the morbid me liked her creepy side. Is it usual for a restaurant in USA to be swamped on Valentine's day, but even though having reserved a table then not to get in? With that many customers standing around, waiting? Unprofessional outlet. Raj and Kripke calling into Fun with Flags was hilarious. I can't remember Kripke being that desperate though. Maybe he shouldn't call every hot girl "Roxanne" (blink "rescue him" in morse code with one eye if you got that reference). Lenny finding out that time makes you old pretty fast, I am sure many can relate to that. Reminiscent a bit of what Leonard Nimoy wrote on Twitter on Feb 23rd 2015 in his last tweet. I awwed when Bernadette told the rabbit the news. Chuck deserved the scuba trip for that one.

I really enjoyed this episode.  Raj, got what he deserved.  The other three, while it would have been nice to have a bit more time on them, I understand the limitations. I like most of the Lenny interaction.  I really like Leonard poking fun at "Penny" for her fangirling over "The Bachelor", since Kaley does major fangirling over that show.  I loved hearing the audience reaction when Bernadette announced to the rabbit that she was pregnant.   

• Like 9

I liked the episode very much, it was funny indeed...and I like how they squeezed 4 stories in it, they were all very balanced. The idea of quick scenes one after the other is interesting, I think it can't work in every episode, but in in this one for me it did. Everybody but Raj (but in this case I agree he deserved it) and Kripke were celebrating VD in a way that was in perfect tune with the kind of relationship they have, one of the best episodes so far!

• Like 3

Fun episode. I was totally surprised by how fast they ran though the Raj break up and turn down.

Enjoyed Penny and Leonard talking about getting older. It happens.

Bernadette pregnant. :icon_biggrin: 

• Like 3

Yeah Lenny ain't happily married lol. If Penny comes across like that to Leonard. Its just her way. I agree Penny is like the guy in the relationship.  But she's obviously really in love with Leonard. No one can proove other wise. Penny's like the mother of the group. She comforted Raj in s6 finalie. How is comforting SHeldon any different. Lordy Lord. At least lenny got out of the kitchen haha.

• Like 6

I just laughed at Raj because he had it coming. Bummer too 'cause I started to like Emily. Well, maybe it's just a phase that they're going through. Remember that all other couples went through a breakup and according to Sheldon, he and Amy are 'stronger than ever' after one. I'll stay positive and think that Emily will be back in the near future.

Howardette's scenes are just awwwwww...one part is me cheering 'Shake it Howie!'. HAHA. They feel more like a married couple than the past episodes, too. I was shocked and happy at the same time when Bernadette revealed to Valentino (and the audience) that she's pregnant... So that's why she feels so motherly (at least to me) in most of their scenes. I wonder how she'll drop the P word to Howard. Also love the fact that they're progressing to a new story arc. Yay! ^.^

In this episode, I can really tell that Lenny has matured over the years. I feel Penny when she felt that all her years has gone by so quickly. I mean... I would assume that we all do. She has just grown so so much over the years and she's in the phase of trying to relive youth. Leonard is very supportive of this, as always. It shows that they're beginning to embrace the life of a married couple. The part where Leonard tried to bribe that guy in the restaurant is pretty funny, too.

And ShAmy! When I looked at the promotional photos, I already had a hunch that Amy's name might have been incorporated in the title of Fun With Flags but I never thought that that's how Sheldon would do it. Funny and cute. I also laughed hysterically when Amy said "No. I just blink a lot. It's not morse code for 'rescue me'." - my favorite line on this episode. And they have finally talked about their breakup! Lots of us, ShAmy shippers, were just assuming that they have settled all issues about it off cam but hearing them doing it onscreen, I personally had closure. I just don't like the feeling when Lenny came into 4A mid sentence. NOW I have a new thing that needs closure! Also did Sheldon wink at Amy at the end of the confetto scene? Or was he just blinking?

Overall, I love this episode. Light, charming, and I got to laugh a lot.

Edited by fragileShAmyheart
  • Like 4

I really liked this episode.

I loved that they really gave everyone something to do this time. That was lovely and that's when the show is at its best, IMO.

I think we finally got a really good idea of what was really going on with Penny during her session with Dr. Gallo. I think she's starting to realize how "grown up" her life is now. She's married, has a solid job, and a child at home. :icon_wink: I think it's natural to mourn a little when you lose that "wild" phase in your life, but that was always gonna happen eventually whether she had married or not. At one point you need to grow up and bring some stability into your life. The thing about Penny is that I think stability is what scares her. She's afraid to trust it, because once you get used to a safety net, it's much harder to handle when you lose it.

In terms of Lenny, I think this was a nice step forward. It kinda felt like the start of a new chapter. They basically accepted that they're different people now than they were 8 years ago and sort of said goodbye to the old days bye doing something completely fun and silly. When that one dude ended up getting the money from Leonard and Leonard was like, "I took care of it", I laughed out loud. Oh, Leonard. 

I've noticed that the writers love bringing real life elements of Johnny and Kaley into the show. Last night it was Penny watching The Bachelor, which Kaley's obsessed with, and in the Thanksgiving episode Leonard wrote poems about Penny (Johnny wrote poems about Kaley when they were dating). 

Really liked Howardette and Shamy's scenes. 

Not feeling one bit sorry for Raj.

• Like 5