915 'The Valentino Submergence' (February 11)

Tripper

2 minutes ago, fragileShAmyheart said:

I am, too. Though Lenny is adorable taking care of Sheldon like an old married couple, that setup is not working anymore. Them moving out is long overdue.

Agreed but really only quoted you to say that your icon is super cool.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:41 AM, No Regrets said:

I really liked this episode.

I loved that they really gave everyone something to do this time. That was lovely and that's when the show is at its best, IMO.

I think we finally got a really good idea of what was really going on with Penny during her session with Dr. Gallo. I think she's starting to realize how "grown up" her life is now. She's married, has a solid job, and a child at home. :icon_wink: I think it's natural to mourn a little when you lose that "wild" phase in your life, but that was always gonna happen eventually whether she had married or not. At one point you need to grow up and bring some stability into your life. The thing about Penny is that I think stability is what scares her. She's afraid to trust it, because once you get used to a safety net, it's much harder to handle when you lose it.

In terms of Lenny, I think this was a nice step forward. It kinda felt like the start of a new chapter. They basically accepted that they're different people now than they were 8 years ago and sort of said goodbye to the old days bye doing something completely fun and silly. When that one dude ended up getting the money from Leonard and Leonard was like, "I took care of it", I laughed out loud. Oh, Leonard. 

I've noticed that the writers love bringing real life elements of Johnny and Kaley into the show. Last night it was Penny watching The Bachelor, which Kaley's obsessed with, and in the Thanksgiving episode Leonard wrote poems about Penny (Johnny wrote poems about Kaley when they were dating). 

Really liked Howardette and Shamy's scenes. 

Not feeling one bit sorry for Raj.

I too like that we're seeing them deal with 30-something issues now. Raj is the reminder of when it all started with four mates on dates (when they could get them) and a pretty neighbour who wasn't all that good at keeping her knickers on. The cast have aged and so, short of regenerating, their characters have had to move on with them.  The makers could not have left all of them single and childless at the age they are now. The essence of the popularity of TBBT is said to be the championing of the underdog tied up with audience-identification with the characters.  Real people do what our gang members have done. They develop their careers, meet and marry their spouses, buy homes, have children and to a certain extent change their leisure pursuits. Real people don't get into the scrapes  this  lot  do, but they'd like to. That's what makes them funny now - the appeal to the sense of the ridiculous. The unexpected behaviour from 'people in their position' tickles us.  Grown women drunk and up to just a little mischief are amusing if they're PhDs in a way they wouldn't be if they were teenage shop assistants. World-class scientists in their thirties, stone cold sober arguing over which letters in their girlfriends' names to use to name their discovery I for one wouldn't laugh at if they were twenty-year-old undergraduates in the pub.

While Raj is where he was eight years ago, having moved a little forward and now slipped back, Amy is getting on for halfway to where she should be, with a foot in her ss3&4 camp and  the other in 2016. Wearing clothes resembling a 1950s British schoolgirl's uniform, she gets into the state of excitement expected of the eight-year-old  Amy of four years ago, although more quietly, when Sheldon tells her he's put her name in the title of his internet show, contrasting beautifully with her own title of Doctor. Then she slowly morphs into the adult, sitting cool, calm and collected on the sofa next to her intended, answering distressed people. Kripke is looking older now but hasn't matured a bit, his speech problem manifesting itself worse than ever in his misery.

Howard is the most evolved. The way he was when the series started he seemed the least likely to be where he is now. He's the first to marry, the first to own a house, the first to provide tangible evidence of something in his career, and the first to be a parent. Penny is the one who's changed most in appearance. She had to. That's because professional women her age don't go out in tank tops and shorts, and they get their hair done. Her dress this week, though, was like something somebody twice her age would wear, or that a thirty-year-old might put on to make herself look mature and respectable. No wonder she was addressed as 'ma'am'. Fair enough for a dinner-dance in a British February, but in California where it's over 70F  when she's out for a romantic meal ? If she's worried about getting older with none of the advantages of it, she's asked for it this time. :)

I don't think any of them have lost their sense of fun. That's something we keep all our lives but sometimes we think we've lost touch with as we go through our thirties and forties with careers, jobs, children and mortgages.

Edited by joyceraye
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Tensor said:

Yeah, pretty much how Lenny's felt at the airport, or how Sheldon spent the night with them when he "let" them move to 4B, among other times.  

Those two instances weren't favored by Shamy's either.  Sheldon didn't need to go to the airport with them and sure as hell didn't need to sleep on Penny's couch when he refused to do so previously.  And was always fine when they slept over in 4B in previous years.  That particular scene was just down right stupid!!

• Like 3

Ah I hate the feeling of not loving the episodes of this show. Imo this one was okay. Not too good not too bad. I am not a fan of re-using concepts so vd thing (already done in s7 i think?) was not that enjoyable for me. Also didn't find myself lol-ing at any moments, smiled here and there because I absolutely adore these characters (well Raj was hard to love in this one) but nothing major. I miss the days when the guys sat at the university cafeteria discussing about one of their beloved comics/movies/tv shows or science/their work so this was a bit of a disappointment. The last I remember them sitting there was when Leonard was dealing with the Mandy Chow thing which was again a relationship fueled talk. Raj was pathetic. Out of all the women on this show for him, Emily was really the one who was into him (Lucy was too consumed with her own issues.) and this is the treatment she gets? I feel like this is somewhat of a thing that tv shows do... Couple breaks up, comes back together stronger than ever. But in this case, it won't work for me. It will never be the same if they get back together. Other couples (on this show) had some genuine reasons to split but this is stupid. I know Howard broke up with Bernie in hopes of finding someone hotter but he didn't have an "actual" woman. Now in the future if Raj and Emily get back together I'll know its just him settling because nobody else would have him. The only reason this episode wouldn't be filler to me is because of the Howardette news.  

P.s wow I use a lot of brackets

• Like 1

I was thinking of writing a thread of why Emily is good for Raj and I have grow to like her and enjoy her character on the show.  She did grow on me  As she was very self confident compared to Raj.  A good difference and that her Penny was just frenemy not a friend.  Why did he break up with Emily?  What did he found WRONG with her?? 

I thought it was funny that host guy found penny old and to mature for him.  One of the best looks ladies on the planet and he just turns away from her.  Than again, when I was seating host at a private club when I was in college.  Just because you were a pretty girls did not cause me to seat them.  Only cold hard cash did!  And I made out like a bandit!  Than they talk about how old Leonard is.  I think if Leonard got a more modern and a better haircut! He would look ten years younger.  He basically got the same haircut he had on the TV show Roseanne!

I loved silence Sheldon!  He acts even better when quiet.  Kind of like William Shatter!!

Ending was decent.  But NO more of putting Leonard in tight skimpy hugging outfit please! 

Here a better question:

I through both Penny And Bernie was on birth control?       

Edited by gwhh

10 minutes ago, gwhh said:

Here a better question:

I through both Penny And Bernie was on birth control?       

The only form of birth control that is 100% affective is not having sex.  My mom got pregnant with me when she was on the pill and that was back in the early 70's.

• Like 2

fun episode-good laugh.

great for raj total ass break up on v-day.

l/p have some fun.

glad for h/b having the baby.

sweet shamy- but sheldon is sheldon had is name on 

the title twice, see amys face. than he wanted to hang him self

because they were not talking about flags.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gwhh said:

I was thinking of writing a thread of why Emily is good for Raj and I have grow to like her and enjoy her character on the show.  She did grow on me  As she was very self confident compared to Raj.  A good difference and that her Penny was just frenemy not a friend.  Why did he break up with Emily?  What did he found WRONG with her?? 

Apart from the creepiness the writers gave  her character in Season 8 but that was turned down a big deal in Season 9, I think the "problem" is that Raj was not in love with her, otherwise, he wouldn't have fallen for Claire the second he met her. He dragged this relationship out for two years just because he was afraid of being alone and decided to break up with Emily only when the thought to have found a replacement. So, nothing wrong with Emily, so many things wrong with Raj...

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, mirs1 said:

Apart from the creepiness the writers gave  her character in Season 8 but that was turned down a big deal in Season 9, I think the "problem" is that Raj was not in love with her, otherwise, he wouldn't have fallen for Claire the second he met her. He dragged this relationship out for two years just because he was afraid of being alone and decided to break up with Emily only when the thought to have found a replacement. So, nothing wrong with Emily, so many things wrong with Raj...

Perhaps. Or perhaps Raj will be waking up tied up in Emily's bedroom closet and hear her ask her next boyfriend if he  has looked in the closet.

A criminal minds crossover episode. Doctor Spenser Reid pays TBBT a visit.

I can dream.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 2

I loved the episode!

And I seem to enjoy episodes more if I don't come on the boards and talk about them these days...

Anyway, I didn't have a problem with L/P interrupting Sheldon's heartfelt confession--that's the way of the show.  Most serious moments get punctured by a laugh because that's the nature and tone of this show.

And I loved L/P in their silly costumes--again, that was the point.  They were trying to do something fun, showing they weren't afraid to be silly and over the top.  I don't think the point of that moment was so that certain fans can drool over Kaley.  That's a fringe benefit for the Kaley fans, like having a nice view of JP's rear.  Wasn't the point of those scenes, but it sure was nice.

I do like that Penny finds herself growing up in spite of herself.  She doesn't like the idea of others seeing her as a ma'am (I still find it hard to hear...), but at the same time, she knows she's not the party girl she used to be (happy that the midnight movie is sold out).

Someone asked if American restaurants would really be that crowded, etc.  Yes, I think that a restaurant would be that full on Valentine's Day.  If it's seen as a place to go for a fancy date, if it's very popular, and all that.  If it's really full, having a reservation could mean that your table reserved at 8 was being used by someone who's reservation was at 6.  Dunno.

Anyway, I loved the FWF variation and that fact that the only call-ins they could get were Raj and Kripke.  They've never had a hot audience for their show, so it make sense that they wouldn't have people clamoring to call and talk about flags.

So, Raj and Emily.  I'm kind of torn.  It's funny that so many people seem to have been wanting him to break up with her, but I guess he did it for the wrong reason.  But maybe he didn't, he just had bad timing.  I think that he's been having doubts about the relationship since last season, but didn't have the nerve to just break up with her--and that's understandable.  A lot of people stay in questionable, even dangerous, relationships because they don't want to be alone.

Of course, he broke up with her just before Valentine's Day, but really, is that a reason to hang on to a relationship?  So you stick around for "national sex day", do something romantic, and THEN break up?  Better to rip that Band-Aid off all at once and get it over with.  But of course, Raj finally works up the nerve because he thinks he has another girl who likes him.  And of course, he's misreading the cues from the new girl.

I'm glad Emily rejected him, but I also wonder how much she really likes/loves him.  She gets mad both times he wants to break up with her (last season and this season), but why?  I think she knows he's a little creeped out by some of her tastes, but does she have deeper feelings for him?

If so, I wonder whether or not they'll deal with that next season.  Will Raj crawl back to her only because he doesn't want to be alone, or will he stand his ground that she's not right for him?  Or doesn't seem to be--before she got so creepy, they both seemed pretty into each other based on the dating site.

I liked the Howardette story--the bit with the bunny was funny on basic levels, and then the pregnancy reveal was nicely done (and I like the little glimpse into how Howard reacts that we got from the preview for next week.)

As for L/P interrupting Sheldon's speech at the end, I really don't think it was intended to be a harbinger for Sheldon deciding he wants L/P to move out.  I think that's grasping a little, at least for this scene.

I did like the opening scenes where L/P are at Penny's apartment, very much at home.

Overall, a really fun episode.

• Like 7

Loved it. My fav so far this season all plotlines were funny and well played just wish it was longer.

We saw Penny and Leonard in 4b and they obviously changed into their 'valentine costumes' there as well so that should ease those who have been unhappy about them never being there, they are we, just see the 10 minutes or so each week the plot shows us and that usually takes place in 4a we honestly don't know how much time they spend there all we know is that small portion of their lives we actually get to see

And even when they do move full-time we will probably see more of them in 4a because that's where the interactions with others takes place

Edited by JE7
  • Like 9

I liked the episode a lot.

But I can't understand why so many people think there is a problem with breaking up with Emily. He has never been in love with her, and that's something you can't control. The best evidence is that the minute he met Claire, he immediately thought of dating her and was prevented from doing so by Howardette who constantly reminded him of his girlfriend.

Now, OK, breaking up with her because of another girl is cowardly, and trying to get back to her because he has been rejected by Claire and is afraid of being alone on VD is even worse.

But I've always had the impression he has never been in love with Emily and I really can't blame him for breaking up with a girl he wasn't feeling OK with.

I hope that from now on, he's going to mature and finally meet a girl whom he really likes instead of immediately dating any kind of girl just because he doesn't want to be alone.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cherry said:

But I can't understand why so many people think there is a problem with breaking up with Emily. He has never been in love with her, and that's something you can't control. The best evidence is that the minute he met Claire, he immediately thought of dating her and was prevented from doing so by Howardette who constantly reminded him of his girlfriend.

Now, OK, breaking up with her because of another girl is cowardly, and trying to get back to her because he has been rejected by Claire and is afraid of being alone on VD is even worse.

But I've always had the impression he has never been in love with Emily and I really can't blame him for breaking up with a girl he wasn't feeling OK with.

I hope that from now on, he's going to mature and finally meet a girl whom he really likes instead of immediately dating any kind of girl just because he doesn't want to be alone.

I can't speak for everyone else but for me it's not so much that he broke up with her (he wanted to do that since 8x24) but the way he did it. I mean he's stringing this poor girl along for another 9 months just to dump her right before Valentine's Day, then tries to date another girl and when that doesn't work out he immediately tries to get back together with Emily?!? To quote Claire: "What an ass!"

I also really hope that he'll grow the hell up because he's such a mess like that.

• Like 7

Maybe Raj also doesn't realize his own self-worth that's why he can't see the worth of others. He sees himself as a worthless ass so he behaves like an ass. I mean, he's okay with having a relationship with someone because she likes him for his money. Internally he may think it's okay for you to like me for my money so it's okay for me to like you for some other superficial reason. Maybe that's why just by a leeeetle bit of attention given to him, he immediately thinks it's love. He DID ditch his friends once because his gf at that time suddenly was free. I kind of liked Emily because she pretty much appreciated Raj and his quirks and I, this whole time, thought Raj appreciated that about her. She was also the only girl he stood up to in favor of his friends (or Sheldon, in the Apology tour ep). It made me think that Emily had that impact on him. But he sees a pretty girl (who looks like his favorite Elsa?) who thinks he's smart and he goes off thinking he can marry that girl. Guess I was wrong. The growth I hope to see from Raj is that he start appreciating himself deeply. Maybe he'll start appreciating others deeply, too.

• Like 3

I thought the episode was pretty good. I liked the Shamy part the best, mainly Sheldon. His reaction to Raj's calling in was hilarious I thought. As for Raj, I thought he got what he deserved. I'm surprised that no one told him that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cherry said:

Howardette have known Raj for a long time : Howard has been his close friend for ten years or more. They know how Raj has had these sudden crushes that meant nothing. He's planned weddings and outings with grandchildren when he's met a woman once. Last night E4 showed an episode here in which Raj and Howard called into Sheldon's office and Raj, who couldn't even speak to Alex, immediately called dibs on her and said he loved her as soon as she was out of earshot. Someone in chat suggested Raj's problem might be limerance. I looked it up and discovered a form of it involved a mental disorder, imagining the other party, who might not even know the sufferer, loved the sufferer back. Behaviour can get out of hand. Claire got the measure of  Raj when he told her he was planning their wedding and she promised to refuse if he proposed. Howardette have seen this with Raj  before. They remind Raj he is in a steady relationship now. Raj hasn't had one of these episodes since he's been with Emily as I recall. What triggered this latest one could be stress over the rows when Sheldon was on his apology tour. However, psychiatric or psychological disorders can rear their heads with no apparent cause. I don't think Raj's  reaction to meeting Claire is any reflection on his feelings - whatever they may or may not be - towards Emily. He could have had this crush anyway. All the same, he's behaving badly towards Emily who's been loyal to him. Another generation would call him a cad. Good for her for slamming the door on him. All he seems to be aware of is his own loneliness, not giving a thought to the pain he must have inflicted on Emily and the nuisance he's being to Claire.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Cherry said:

I kind of think the writers will keep using Raj this way.  Emily was expendable.

It would seem being Raj's girlfriend is kind of like wearing a red shirt in the original Star Trek.

58416f62f5d54104f99288bf2c624076.jpghttp://www.wired.com/2008/04/star-trek-red-s/

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, vonmar said:

LOL...from The New Zealand Herald: http://m.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11590807&ref=NZH_FBpage

Big Bang Theory backs NZ flag change

The NZ flag change referendum is once again in the celebrity spotlight after a shout-out from an actor on The Big Bang Theory............

Omg my.country. im so sorry lol.

• Like 2

Creagen Dow (he played Glen the Maitre D') had an article written in his hometown newspaper about his experience on TBBT.  

"Big Bang Theory guest actor has ties to Burlington"

Actor Creagen Dow had the golf cart ride of his life recently.

After winning a callback audition at Warner Brothers, he was whisked away in the cart for his guest role on Big Bang Theory.

“They were asking, ‘Are you the guy they just hired?’ ” said Dow.

“I went straight onto the set and right into rehearsal.”

The actor with Burlington ties played a restaurant employee in the Big Bang Theory episode broadcast on Feb. 11.

“It was a roller coaster of emotion and experience,” said Dow, who was interviewed by phone just before the broadcast.

After topping several actors who read the lines at the callback, he agreed to one more request.

“The casting lady asked, ‘Are you willing to shave?’ ” said Dow. “I had a little bit of stubble.”

In The Valentino Submergence episode, he plays Glenn, the maitre d’ at the restaurant where Leonard (Johnny Galecki) and Penny (Kaley Cuoco) go for Valentine’s Day.

“It’s the Super Bowl of comedy,” said Dow.

He said everything is done flawlessly on the popular television show about nerdy scientists.

“They’re a really tight family unit,” said Dow. “Everyone there is so nice and so down to earth and everyone looks out for each other.”

He was excited to be watching the episode on TV so soon.

“It was only two or three weeks ago that we did it,” said Dow. “It was a very quick turnaround.”

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/6325484-big-bang-theory-guest-actor-has-ties-to-burlington/

• Like 5