915 'The Valentino Submergence' (February 11)

Tripper

6 minutes ago, vonmar said:

Creagen Dow (he played Glen the Maitre D') had an article written in his hometown newspaper about his experience on TBBT.  

"Big Bang Theory guest actor has ties to Burlington"

Actor Creagen Dow had the golf cart ride of his life recently.

After winning a callback audition at Warner Brothers, he was whisked away in the cart for his guest role on Big Bang Theory.

“They were asking, ‘Are you the guy they just hired?’ ” said Dow.

“I went straight onto the set and right into rehearsal.”

The actor with Burlington ties played a restaurant employee in the Big Bang Theory episode broadcast on Feb. 11.

“It was a roller coaster of emotion and experience,” said Dow, who was interviewed by phone just before the broadcast.

After topping several actors who read the lines at the callback, he agreed to one more request.

“The casting lady asked, ‘Are you willing to shave?’ ” said Dow. “I had a little bit of stubble.”

In The Valentino Submergence episode, he plays Glenn, the maitre d’ at the restaurant where Leonard (Johnny Galecki) and Penny (Kaley Cuoco) go for Valentine’s Day.

“It’s the Super Bowl of comedy,” said Dow.

He said everything is done flawlessly on the popular television show about nerdy scientists.

“They’re a really tight family unit,” said Dow. “Everyone there is so nice and so down to earth and everyone looks out for each other.”

He was excited to be watching the episode on TV so soon.

“It was only two or three weeks ago that we did it,” said Dow. “It was a very quick turnaround.”

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/6325484-big-bang-theory-guest-actor-has-ties-to-burlington/

Good for him!  Imagine getting to deliver lines with Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco!!! That was a great scene and he did himself well.  Glad to see he seems like a nice appreciative guy! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, vonmar said:

Creagen Dow (he played Glen the Maitre D') had an article written in his hometown newspaper about his experience on TBBT.  

"Big Bang Theory guest actor has ties to Burlington"

Actor Creagen Dow had the golf cart ride of his life recently.

After winning a callback audition at Warner Brothers, he was whisked away in the cart for his guest role on Big Bang Theory.

“They were asking, ‘Are you the guy they just hired?’ ” said Dow.

“I went straight onto the set and right into rehearsal.”

The actor with Burlington ties played a restaurant employee in the Big Bang Theory episode broadcast on Feb. 11.

“It was a roller coaster of emotion and experience,” said Dow, who was interviewed by phone just before the broadcast.

After topping several actors who read the lines at the callback, he agreed to one more request.

“The casting lady asked, ‘Are you willing to shave?’ ” said Dow. “I had a little bit of stubble.”

In The Valentino Submergence episode, he plays Glenn, the maitre d’ at the restaurant where Leonard (Johnny Galecki) and Penny (Kaley Cuoco) go for Valentine’s Day.

“It’s the Super Bowl of comedy,” said Dow.

He said everything is done flawlessly on the popular television show about nerdy scientists.

“They’re a really tight family unit,” said Dow. “Everyone there is so nice and so down to earth and everyone looks out for each other.”

He was excited to be watching the episode on TV so soon.

“It was only two or three weeks ago that we did it,” said Dow. “It was a very quick turnaround.”

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/6325484-big-bang-theory-guest-actor-has-ties-to-burlington/

Okay, its a small world. My dad lived in  Burlington Ont. for  number of years. How many people from outside Canada have any idea where Burlington is? There are other places called Burlington but the linked article is in an Ontario publication.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just aired over here. Very funny episode! Loved Raj and Kripke lol. Mayim stole this episode. Loved her no im not blinking in Morse Code because im in trouble LOL. And Pennys skirt :icon_cheesygrin:. Loved Lennys talk. And the Bachelor reference. Liked Leonard's reference to one day we well be older. First time they discussed their mortality rate. And Pennys fear of growing older. I.also can't believe itvwas.9'years ago Leonard meet Penny. What I find so.refreshing about Lenny this season; THEY are being written as a married couple. Last season more friends with benefits. And the trope been broken. Opppsed to Himym and Friends, That 70s show. Ted and Robin, Ross and Rachel. Eric and Donna etc. The main couple are married early. And are dealing with issues as a married couple. Its so nice and a change of pace. Show deserves an Emmy. Overall not the best. But one of the funniest. It was light hearted and fluffy. Something bbt should always strive to be. Sheldon was perfect. Not taking over. But supporting.

Eta: Forget to mention. What I loved about Penny in.her skirt. Other then :icon_redface:. Was it reminded me of early Penny. Sexy, young, and fun. Obviously that was the narrative. Lenny still prooving they are young and fun. But it was refreshing to see Penny out of those plaid shirts.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

• Tripper unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

Very unsatisafactory ep. Penny and Leonard didn't get nearly enough screen time, so their subplot was incoherent. And sometimes stupid - Leonard thinks throwing fries is "fun"? I believe Penny's dress was the most conservative she's ever worn (but her face was prettier than ever, IMO). But Leonard's clothes - is that how he dresses for a romantic dinner at a presumably upmarket restaurant - has Penny taught him nothing about clothes? (Yes, ladies, you do get blamed for your husbands'/boyfriends' lack of dress sense).

Why would anyone (including viewers) put up with douche Raj's whining and crying? The gang should keep Emily and dump Raj.

I thought the episode was ok but like you thought the whole Raj storyline brought it down a bit. It was funny to see Sheldon bit by bit starting to lose his cool but he didn't blow up (the old Sheldon would have blown up spectacularly). I enjoyed some of the Howard and Bernie interactions with the old crrepy Howard making a few reappearances. Thought there was some nice moments between Lenny.

15 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

Very unsatisafactory ep. Penny and Leonard didn't get nearly enough screen time, so their subplot was incoherent. And sometimes stupid - Leonard thinks throwing fries is "fun"? I believe Penny's dress was the most conservative she's ever worn (but her face was prettier than ever, IMO). But Leonard's clothes - is that how he dresses for a romantic dinner at a presumably upmarket restaurant - has Penny taught him nothing about clothes? (Yes, ladies, you do get blamed for your husbands'/boyfriends' lack of dress sense).

Why would anyone (including viewers) put up with douche Raj's whining and crying? The gang should keep Emily and dump Raj.

The whole Lenny plot, which was the most substantial plot of the episode was too rushed and I agree with you that somewhat incoherent.  The jump from them being in the car to dressed up like Valentine Cupids was just too large without something in between to explain it.  Penny coming to grips with her being 30 and Leonard  trying to help her should have been the overriding plot of the whole episode, saving the FWF for another episode.  The need to have a major Sheldon plot in each Episode is doing that to the show more and more since TBBT became the Sheldon Show.

• Like 1

On 11/02/2016 at 1:52 AM, SRAM said:

.  And I so want 'Fun with Flags' to turn into ask Dr Amy about relationship problems.

This could be quite funny if Amy gave sex and relationship advice based entirely on the behaviour of her laboratory animals.

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Don't forget, she's also got 3 hours + of personal experience, from her birthday. :icon_biggrin: 

Yes (although I didn't notice timings were given) but actual human experience wouldn't be so funny, IMO. Actually, Amy did once attempt to explain Penny's reaction to Prya wrt her faeces-flinging monkeys.

Just had this episode air in the uk. I can't believe that no one else was bothered by the thing that irritated me. Seasons ago Bernadette explained clearly that she absolutely did not want kids. She even got Howard to agree by saying he'd have to do all the looking after. Neither of them wanted them. But no, they're a couple , they're married, it's tv  , so they HAVE to get pregnant. Maybe I'm wrong and in the states you've all seen an episode where they bravely, determinedly get an abortion, but I doubt it. It's like comedy is stuck in the 50s. Lots of real people choose not to have kids. With the earlier episodes I thought Big Bang would be a brave new world of reflecting this. But no. We'll LET a couple express those thoughts, but only to reverse their opinions later , cos like, they're married, and that's what had to happen. The other couples in the group, I could grudgingly accept making this choice, but Bernie? Goes against how they have written her character 

Prior to our marriage, my wife did not want kids, but knew I did.  We agreed if she didn't want them, we wouldn't have them.  It was her decision, and her decision was to not have them.  Five years into our marriage, she changed her mind, and decided she did want them.  We have two.    

I have friends, and a brother who decided not to have any.  Both my daughters are adamant that they don't want any.  I know others who weren't going to have any, but changed their minds.  It's the couples decision.  

In this case there there was also an episode where Bernadette said she would really think about it.  It appears her decision (or to cover all my bases) the writers decision was for Bernadette to have one.  

• Like 3

I found this episode a bit depressing, and I've just realised it's because apart from the Bernadette and Howard part it shows degeneration. Penny and Leonard have long been the most grown-up characters, but the realisation that they're not as young as they were makes them behave like stupid and annoying children.

Raj was even more despicable than usual.

But a major theme of S9 so far seems to be the Decline and Fall of Sheldon Cooper - on every front. Whereas his ridiculous bossiness as the master of 4A was funny, he's now grateful to be accepted as Penny and Leonard's child/domestic pet (and not, of course, in the way that some men might enjoy being Penny's domestic pet - which suggests missed opportunities for using the Emily character - but enough of that). Once he was entirely self-sufficient, needing only unpaid chauffeurs, but in 914 he was ready to ride the hellbus to somewhere he hated just to tag along with his friends. Previously Sheldon always had the upper hand in his relationship with Amy because he was contentedly celibate whereas she was literally gagging for it (not something I was happy about) but only with Sheldon. Now in 914 he meekly accepted Amy's callous and selfish decision to stay in Detroit to avoid having to help look after him when he had flu (even though he had looked after her when she had it) and now in the ultimate surrender he has even let her take over FWF. Obnoxious Sheldon was funny but pathetic Sheldon is just pathetic.

I loved the FWF bits, as Sheldon becomes more and more distressed as his flag show goes astray.  He certainly showed tremendous growth at the end, by accepting what happened and calling their show a success.

But even better are some of the comments from New Zealand after the story of Sheldon backing the NZ flag referendum was printed in the local paper.  Apparently, satirist John Oliver came out with a phallic flag redesign shortly afterwards.  Anyhow, here are a few of the better bits:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/76969185/Flag-change-referendum-gets-a-nod-from-The-Big-Bang-Theorys-Sheldon-Cooper

"A fictional comment from a fictional character, said as a joke as part of a comedy in the US."

"It's American comedy for heaven's sake. Nobody in their right mind takes American comedy seriously. 
It's no more than shallow drivel."

"LOL. Perhaps you should look up the definition of comedy." 
       "If you were referring to John Oliver, I think you will find that is satire, which does have a serious side. If                 you want a definition of "shallow drivel" you only need to look at the flag referendum."

"Sheldon is a fictional character on a fictional show. Therefore his little comment is not real!"

"I think Sheldon would argue semantics about your definition of real. The fictional character on the fictional  show really did say it."

"I'd love too see an edition of 'Fun with Flags' where they look at the special John Oliver redesign"

"It's all humour. But on the serious side it is ironic that the writers of the Big Bang show would include script that considers a NZ flag change as positive when in the US the notion of reform and change is a foreign concept. The country has the most appalling democratic system ever invented and can't even move from imperial to metric when measuring distance."

"In the US, 'New Zealand' is quite literally a foreign concept."

"And the US is far superior to little NZ in a thousand other ways. Do some traveling mate!"

"A crazy character on a fictional TV series backed a change. Hardly a real life endorsement Mr Key."

"He's not crazy. His mother had him tested."

"But sheldon is an idiot"

"No, Sheldon is a genius (his mother had him tested). He just lacks a few social skills."

"Sheldon isn't an idiot. Sheldon isn't real."

"The character may be an idiot but the actor who plays him is getting a $1,000,000 an episode to play it so isn't exactly stupid."

"WHAT would he know about our flag referendum He's a NERD"

"Yes, one who is obsessed enough about flags to make a web series based solely on flags, so I therefore suggest he (the character) knows more about our flag, it's history and the referendum than the majority of Kiwis."

"he's actually a fictional nerd, but even then, I suspect he knows more about NZ history than most actual NZers"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lady in Red said:

I loved the FWF bits, as Sheldon becomes more and more distressed as his flag show goes astray.  He certainly showed tremendous growth at the end, by accepting what happened and calling their show a success.

But even better are some of the comments from New Zealand after the story of Sheldon backing the NZ flag referendum was printed in the local paper.  Apparently, satirist John Oliver came out with a phallic flag redesign shortly afterwards.  Anyhow, here are a few of the better bits:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/76969185/Flag-change-referendum-gets-a-nod-from-The-Big-Bang-Theorys-Sheldon-Cooper

"A fictional comment from a fictional character, said as a joke as part of a comedy in the US."

"It's American comedy for heaven's sake. Nobody in their right mind takes American comedy seriously. 
It's no more than shallow drivel."

"LOL. Perhaps you should look up the definition of comedy." 
       "If you were referring to John Oliver, I think you will find that is satire, which does have a serious side. If                 you want a definition of "shallow drivel" you only need to look at the flag referendum."

"Sheldon is a fictional character on a fictional show. Therefore his little comment is not real!"

"I think Sheldon would argue semantics about your definition of real. The fictional character on the fictional  show really did say it."

"I'd love too see an edition of 'Fun with Flags' where they look at the special John Oliver redesign"

"It's all humour. But on the serious side it is ironic that the writers of the Big Bang show would include script that considers a NZ flag change as positive when in the US the notion of reform and change is a foreign concept. The country has the most appalling democratic system ever invented and can't even move from imperial to metric when measuring distance."

"In the US, 'New Zealand' is quite literally a foreign concept."

"And the US is far superior to little NZ in a thousand other ways. Do some traveling mate!"

"A crazy character on a fictional TV series backed a change. Hardly a real life endorsement Mr Key."

"He's not crazy. His mother had him tested."

"But sheldon is an idiot"

"No, Sheldon is a genius (his mother had him tested). He just lacks a few social skills."

"Sheldon isn't an idiot. Sheldon isn't real."

"The character may be an idiot but the actor who plays him is getting a $1,000,000 an episode to play it so isn't exactly stupid."

"WHAT would he know about our flag referendum He's a NERD"

"Yes, one who is obsessed enough about flags to make a web series based solely on flags, so I therefore suggest he (the character) knows more about our flag, it's history and the referendum than the majority of Kiwis."

"he's actually a fictional nerd, but even then, I suspect he knows more about NZ history than most actual NZers"

So hilarious!  Sounds like our threads every so often!!

• Like 1