How did you see Lennys wedding?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Lennys Wedding?

• Great
    • Good
    • Average
    • Disappointing
    • Shit

Last night I saw an example of a Bad Wedding in a Doc Martin rerun. It was called off by the end of the episode.

On the day of their wedding, Louisa's bridesmaid is hit in the eye with a party popper; the local florist gets arrested and his shop shuttered. Bert Large has to make contingency plans for the wedding party. Martin suggests the vicar has a drink problem and later catches him with a bottle of whiskey. The vicar ends up in hospital after falling over and fracturing his hip. Martin has to find a replacement, and pays a high price for his services. Louisa's maid of honor has another emergency (goes into labour; Doc has to deliver)

Other things go wrong too like the reception tent falling down. Apparently they try again in a later episode.

Wedding bells are ringing for the Doc and Louisa. But will the marriage finally go ahead? The Doc is irritated by PC Penhale, who wrongly presumes he is best man, plus Louisa is late. The Reverend has his doubts as to whether she will turn up, putting Martin on edge. Meanwhile, Ruth is having a rough time looking after James. He refused to eat his dinner and he won't settle, crying continuously. To make matters worse, they have a power cut.

The honeymoon is even worse.

see http://www.kcet.org/shows/doc_martin/recaps/recap-for-doc-martin-episode-39-sickness-and-health.html

docmartin-sickness-and-health-11.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Voted average, because the wedding vows were so good, I try to remember that to save it from sheer disappointing. Maybe it doesn't, but at least it saves it from pure shit.  They deserved better.

Voted "disappointing". I thought the vows were very sweet, but I hated everything else. They deserved so much more after all these years.

I voted disappointing.   I was at this taping and I was left feeling a bit empty about it (and other things about the episode).  Like Maddie said,  I love when things are understated.  The small weddi

Hmmm yeah at least Penny had no blood on her dress LOL. But its  comedy so guess it's different formats. I wasent expecting alot from the wedding. And it was well IC. But I wasent expecting them after 9 years of Drama to drop a Leonard cheated bombshell. Hey I wasent surprised. I presumed something was up.ever since 7x02 When Penny was like you came. Back early for me. And Leonard was like yeah sure that's the reason. Thought hmm guilty conscious their old Hofstadter? Lol. That pic where he is showing Penny the pics of the trip. Well forver have a different meaning now lol. My problem wss they clearly tptb, knew about it for two years. And clearly knew Mandy had been working at Cal Tech for a while. Would Penny been ok with Leonard going a way for 3 months. If she knew another woman would be on board? Maybe not.

So Leonard had effectively been lying to Penny as early as s6. The guy who had been supporting her unconditionally for two years. Just didn't fit with the lieing dirty bag sitting in the car with Penny. Let alone Penny's calm reaction. My issue was the clumsy writing, just manufactured drama to counter Shamys break up. I mean a drama filled finale in a comedy go figure. I guess it showed how strong their relationship is. They still got married under al pretenses. And had to put up with Sheldon derailing the whole thing. Which vwas very selfish. To think ppl.felt sorry for him, boggles the mind. Vows made it average, without them. I find it hard to accept that was nine years in the making, more two minutes.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 3ku11 said:

Hmmm yeah at least Penny had no blood on her dress LOL. But its  comedy so guess it's different formats. I wasent expecting...

Doc Martin is listed as  medical comedy drama series. From what I have actually seen it is mostly comedy but in a 50 minute format with 10 episodes per "series" (British). Seems like a hour format sitcom to me. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Doc Martin is listed as  medical comedy drama series. From what I have actually seen it is mostly comedy but in a 50 minute format with 10 episodes per "series" (British). Seems like a hour format sitcom to me. 

Oh okay cheers.

For me it was disappointing. I'd prefer the illicit kiss issue (or not to have it at all) to have been fully dealt with in a previous episode and then have the wedding. It was overshadowed by the Shamy breakup and then spending the night apart. Can't really understand why the writers chose to do it that way, but hey ho they did. I'm still hopeful for a marriage blessing with Penny wearing a scrumptious wedding gown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Positive about the wedding. It broke the trope. Which bbt is known for. Opposed to dragging it out ala Ross Rachel. Refreshing watching a sitcom couple be married and dealing with issues together. They still deserve a re do, like in Simpson's. Or at least reception.

• Like 1

It was certainly disappointing to me as I'd been looking forward to Penny's meth-cooking brother at the wedding. And to give half the episode over to Sheldon and Amy's totally unconvincing relationship made it worse.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

It was certainly disappointing to me as I'd been looking forward to Penny's meth-cooking brother at the wedding. And to give half the episode over to Sheldon and Amy's totally unconvincing relationship made it worse.

THEY should of had friends and family present yes. And agree with Shamy taking over. That was not necessarily. Whether they are a convincing relationship or not is an opinion.

This was almost the reverse of the "bad wedding" in Doc Martin in that this was very understated whereas that in DM was over the top, That's the sort of chaos I'd have liked to have seen Penny's brother and Leonard's mother causing. Does anyone who's seen DM think Martin has something in common with Sheldon in his social skills? (Martin generally makes up for it by saving somene's life with his infallible diagnoses).

bad ... was it bad.... lol

it was garbage ... haha....

it was pretty clear from the way it was done... the writers just wanted to get over and done with it....... and even the leonard kissing another women storyline was just a way to include sheldon and penny kiss dream sequence......

And no I don't think that they will have a redo of wedding.... the big wedding is probably being reserved for Sheldon and Amy.... with all the parents and guest starts..... 

by the way after marriage did leonard and penny meet their parents at all.. I was quite surprised how flippantly penny's father treated penny being married... he talked as if penny bought shoes... but that was the limit to which the writers wanted to go....lol

where as for sheldon and amy ... looks like many episodes will be dedicated ... even with special guest stars like meemaw....lol

Edited by vasu
  • Like 1

It fits them, they chose not to have their friends involved, so great wedding for them as a couple.

Yeah great finding your So cheated. Technically their friends were involved through Skype. But as Sheldon derailed it prob gd thing friends weren't their tbh.

Yeah great finding your So cheated. Technically their friends were involved through Skype. But as Sheldon derailed it prob gd thing friends weren't their tbh.

That L confessed cheating wasn't part of the wedding. It happened on the car ride there.

Involved means they were participating in the wedding, they were only watching (well not really) by an internet stream.

So they had their perfect wedding, if they had wanted their friends to really watch, they should have chosen for a different wedding.

Sheldon ruined my experience of it. Contrast this purportedly big moment with the scene in the lab in "The Holographic Excitation" or even their argument on the stairs when Leonard was jealous of Cole. They had the focus of attention and it mattered. When they married we had the nonsense of the stalker at the window. The conflation of the short run breakup with the culmination of eight years of anticipation was equivalent to say watching something like Prince William lining up with Kate Middleton at the altar at Westminster Abbey and then the camera cutting right to show  that the best man was Donald Trump in a clown suit.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Nogravitasatall said:

Sheldon ruined my experience of it. Contrast this purportedly big moment with the scene in the lab in "The Holographic Excitation" or even their argument on the stairs when Leonard was jealous of Cole. They had the focus of attention and it mattered. When they married we had the nonsense of the stalker at the window. The conflation of the short run breakup with the culmination of eight years of anticipation was equivalent to say watching something like Prince William lining up with Kate Middleton at the altar at Westminster Abbey and then the camera cutting right to show  that the best man was Donald Trump in a clown suit.

LOL ThAt killed me. That's exactly what it was like.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

however, I wouldn't have minded the elopement (except that Penny had done it once before, so why repeat the same experience for her) had they had the moment to themselves.

it was a balls up, really. From experts. So baffled.

Its kinda baffling they can write an isolated scene with Penny saying I love you. But when it comes to their wedding day... Be like When they are about to sign the Deceleration of Independence. And it starts raining outside. 

Edited by 3ku11

On January 31, 2016 at 9:20 PM, meka3000 said:

If I were to give it a grade, it would be a C+.  Mostly Johnny & Kaley's performances along with the vows saved it.  At least that's just my opinion.  I wouldn't put the wedding episode with the best episodes of the series.  But I wouldn't put it with the worst either (The Jerusalem Duality, The Wiggly Finger Catalyst, and The First Pitch Insufficiency belong down there IMO).  Like Leonard and Penny's first time having sex, I simply thought it was "okay".  Not "shit", nor was it "great", I thought it was simply "okay".  Even though I voted good, since I perceive okay as being between Good-Average.

You might be interested in the following graph that rates the content ratings of the episodes rather than the viewer ratings of the episodes.  Matrimonial Momentum was the lowest content rated episode across all nine seasons (each color is a season and you can click on the dots for each episode).

http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0898266

Edited by Touche
  • Like 1

On February 13, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Hope said:

You might be interested in the following graph that rates the content ratings of the episodes rather than the viewer ratings of the episodes.  Matrimonial Momentum was the lowest content rated episode across all nine seasons (each color is a season and you can click on the dots for each episode).

I'm curious … what exactly are content ratings and how are they measured? It's not that I disagree with the findings -- as I voted 'shit' for the wedding and episode. 

Edited by 5Mississippis
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On February 10, 2016 at 4:28 PM, 3ku11 said:

Its kinda baffling they can write an isolated scene with Penny saying I love you. But when it comes to their wedding day... Be like When they are about to sign the Deceleration of Independence. And it starts raining outside. 

The I love you didn't involve Penny's last name, which TPTB are determined to keep a secret while simultaneously implying that she has one.

On February 12, 2016 at 8:26 AM, 910 said:

Yes and the highest rated one is The Opening Night Excitation.  While I do love that episode (it's in my top 50 which I'll be posting eventually) THAT episode being the best one?  I don't agree with it.  These ones seem like they are driven more by emotion more than an attempt at objectivity.

On February 9, 2016 at 6:23 PM, vasu said:

it was pretty clear from the way it was done... the writers just wanted to get over and done with it.......

and even the leonard kissing another women storyline was just a way to include sheldon and penny kiss dream sequence......

They did the kiss storyline to show that Penny chose to marry a pop tart (something that she is unsure will be good for her), and not a bran muffin.  Penny put her money where her mouth was when she STILL chose to marry Leonard under a less than ideal revelation for her.

And no I don't think that they will have a redo of wedding.... the big wedding is probably being reserved for Sheldon and Amy.... with all the parents and guest starts.....

Considering Sheldon's anxiety issues in front of crowds (see The Pants Alternative & the 200th episode) going through with that would be OOC for both Sheldon and Amy.

where as for sheldon and amy ... looks like many episodes will be dedicated ... even with special guest stars like meemaw....lol

They haven't had alot of development with their relationship since coitus this season.

Edited by Tensor
Edited for comment directed at another poster

It wasn't great but then I expected that and it was likely deliberately that way. Spur of the moment vegas style weddings are often parodied as clumsy and corny affairs. Of course you had the added tension of Leonard's secret and Sheldon and Amy breaking up.

Honestly, I thought it was good for Penny. Penny's not this super romantic girl who wants roses under her feet or smth (I love her for that so much!!!).  I mean I think a quick wedding in Vegas is way more her style than a big (or even little) beautiful overly romantic ceremony. So I feel it was 'her', and I think she's already sacrificed SO many of 'her' things during the seasons by hanging out with guys... I mean they all, all 6 of them, still do/talk about/watch what they love, but Penny's watching sci fi movies now instead of sports, etc.

Leonard, I honestly think he never really cared that much for weddings (again, what I like about him, he might be pretty romantic in general, but at least he's not obsessed with classic romance and weddings like Ross lol) he just wanted to be married to her.

So in my opinion, for the characters it was totally their style... I mean I don't think Leonard would want a big reception and for Beverly to be there lol.

• Like 3

You know what, my thought is Leonard and Penny are the first lover in the Big Bang theory, their wedding can be better, at least we can feel warm and sweet like Howard and Bernadette.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

• Like 3