917 'The Celebration Experimentation' (February 25)

Tripper

I felt the whole thing was about callbacks to the history of the show. Steven Hawking, P/S hugs, Leslie's endless mocking (loved the dumbass toast), Sheldon & Wil's turbulent past, Leonard versus Sheldon's relationship with Beverly, Penny's growth from the cool bullying type to loving adult, etc, etc, etc.

I loved it, in some the articles that have been posted in the last few days have noted that they weren't going for a life changing episode...they were going for  nostalgia, callbacks, growth of the characters and a reflection of the love that all of the people involved have for this show.

Just me. 

Edited by vonmar

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, vonmar said:

I felt the whole thing was about callbacks to the history of the show. Steven Hawking, P/S hugs, Leslie's endless mocking (loved the dumbass toast), Sheldon & Wil's turbulent past, Leonard versus Sheldon's relationship with Beverly, Penny's growth from the cool bullying type to loving adult, etc, etc, etc.

I loved it, in some the articles that have been posted in the last few days have noted that they weren't going for a live changing episode...they were going for  nostalgia, callbacks, growth of the characters and a reflection of the love that all of the people involved have for this show.

Just me. 

Oh yeah I can see that. I just think for a milestones ppl expected more. But that well.alwAys exist.

6 minutes ago, vonmar said:

I loved it, in some the articles that have been posted in the last few days have noted that they weren't going for a live changing episode...they were going for  nostalgia, callbacks, growth of the characters and a reflection of the love that all of the people involved have for this show.

Just me. 

To me they may have been trying to achieve that but it fell flat.  It didn't feel that way at all.   Just the way I feel about it.  It just seemed like it was a "meh" episode focused on Sheldon and parading people through who may have had history with the show, but that history never came out really other than with Leslie.  The rest was just typical Sheldon-required worship.   I love Sheldon, don't get me wrong, but for the 200th, it just fell short and didn't accomplish in my eyes what they were hoping to accomplish.

18 minutes ago, vonmar said:

I loved it, in some the articles that have been posted in the last few days have noted that they weren't going for a life changing episode...they were going for  nostalgia, callbacks, growth of the characters and a reflection of the love that all of the people involved have for this show.

Just me. 

I couldn't have said it better myself! 

I guess I'm in the minority here because I LOVED this episode! I thought it was so incredibly sweet and as someone irked by anything that people can twist into romantic Shenny, I can honestly say I was so happy with the Shenny scenes in this episode!

I can understand why people who hate Sheldon would take issue with this episode but i still think you can't deny how sweet all the toasts were. Amy's toast made him so unbelievably happy - he had that big Earworm smile! - and I loved Leslie's speech that was basically TPTB saying the characters have matured but some things never change :)

also: why is the discussion thread closed? lol

I thought the episode was nice, but nothing spectacular.  I loved the Sheldon/Penny bathroom scene.  Dealing with anxiety is scary and difficult and a lot of times people don't understand why you are panicking over something that seems so simple and silly.  I loved that she basically told him that if the most comfortable place for him to be on his birthday was hiding in the bathroom, then that's what he should do.  I really appreciated that.  

Other than that, Kripke never fails to make me laugh.

Penny as grown to love the robot man. She really is the sister Sheldon needed growing up. I think the show has finnally addressed this. Now for futur ref can we wait till it airs till the freak out. ThAt freak out two weeks ago is embarrassing now lol. Lenny been end game since Hi, Hi. Overall not the greatest as said. But gd nostalgia. And maybe overall for casusls 

10 minutes ago, FortCozyMcBlanket said:

I can understand why people who hate Sheldon would take issue with this episode but i still think you can't deny how sweet all the toasts were. Amy's toast made him so unbelievably happy - he had that big Earworm smile! - and I loved Leslie's speech that was basically TPTB saying the characters have matured but some things never change :)

also: why is the discussion thread closed? lol

I don't think it's just people who hate Sheldon that took issue with the episode. I just think some don't like an episode, the 200th, centered around one person. I said this on the discussion thread but a week from now people won't remember it was Sheldon's birthday.  Obviously the 100th episode was better than the 200th but the audience  who watch it now is a lot different. The casual fan, who is the majority now, want to see Sheldon and Penny together. That's why they were in the bathroom together and that's why they were hugging. Quite honestly I thought Amy's toast was a bit of an after thought. People are going to remember the hug more than her speech. The episode it self was okay. Seen better seen worse. Nice to see Leslie. Adam West and Kripke were  good. The other guests were okay.

4 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

I don't think it's just people who hate Sheldon that took issue with the episode. I just think some don't like an episode, the 200th, centered around one person. I said this on the discussion thread but a week from now people won't remember it was Sheldon's birthday.  Obviously the 100th episode was better than the 200th but the audience  who watch it now is a lot different. The casual fan, who is the majority now, want to see Sheldon and Penny together. That's why they were in the bathroom together and that's why they were hugging. Quite honestly I thought Amy's toast was a bit of an after thought. People are going to remember the hug more than her speech. The episode it self was okay. Seen better seen worse. Nice to see Leslie. Adam West and Kripke were  good. The other guests were okay.

Actually Penny was in the bathroom as THEY were playing off the parallel between Missy and Penny imo. Most casuals my friends. Love Lenny but I guess can't speak for all casuals. But I dont think its because casuals want them together. Which wouldn't be logical as well you know ew.

I didn't hate the episode entirely, but I have to vent here.

I love Sheldon, but sometimes there is too much of a good thing, and this episode was it.   I hated the 200th did not seem like a celebration of the show but a celebration of Sheldon solely.   I get that it was his birthday, but it just didn't feel right that they centered such a milestone episode around a single character.    It is everyone who makes TBBT what it is, not just Sheldon.

The things I didn't care for:

1.  Beverly will make special effort to be at Sheldon's party but refuses to celebrate her own son's birthday.   Then she has the gull to rub in Leonard's face that she invited Sheldon to her 60th celebration and he came, but Leonard wasn't invited.   WTF!

2.  What's with Kripke and Leslie being there?  I thought they hated Sheldon and Sheldon doesn't care for them.

3.  What was with Kripke's hair?

4.  I feel Amy got snubbed.   It was her idea to throw Sheldon a birthday party, but Penny got all the credit for it and a hug at the end, which Sheldon said irritated him, but he really seemed into it.   Where's Amy's hug or kiss from Sheldon showing his admiration for her?   The birthday suit line just didn't do it for me in the humor department.   This would have been a perfect private moment for Shamy, and yet I felt like I was seeing the old Shamy where Amy is having to drop hints to Sheldon of what she wants and he isn't getting it.    I hate to say it, but I really just don't think Sheldon is into sex as much as I hoped he would have grown to be.   I would like confirmation from him, not just subtle remarks from Amy in her conversations with the girls that they are occasionally dancing in the sheets.  I thought perhaps Sheldon's vasectomy line last week hinted at something, but when Sheldon continues to be absent minded about Amy's flirtations, it makes me wonder.

5.   I hated hated hated that Sheldon's birthday party turned into a let's worship Sheldon with words of admiration from everyone.   I get that Sheldon was picked on growing up, and I feel bad for him.   However, does the guy really need an ego boost?   To hear Sheldon getting it and then having him criticize Howard for his attempt was just too much for me to bare.   It actually pissed me off that Sheldon was being so callous toward everyone.

6.  I found it interesting that Sheldon is given the dignity of going to unlock the door to let Penny in after she knocks, because he might be using the facilities.   However, when Penny is in the shower, the door is conveniently left unlocked so Sheldon can just walk in to disturb her to accept his apology.   Do the writer's even understand the double standard they set when writing these scenes?

On a positive note, I loved Leonard in this episode.   The line about missing the information of the mention of Sheldon's birthday being enough to make him vanish cracked me up.   I liked Leonard pointing out that everyday is all about Sheldon.    I loved that Leonard acknowledged that he sees Sheldon as his brother.  

Penny's dress was just beautiful, as is she.   I love her hair this season!

I thought Jim's acting was excellent, as always.   I just didn't care for the way the writer's put all the focus on Sheldon in an episode that should have been about Leonard, Penny, Howard, Raj, Bernadette, and Amy.   Too many guest stars.   I enjoyed Adam West more in the car with the guys than at the party.   Wil Wheaton was okay.   Kripke trying to get laid by Beverly was just creepy, and Leslie just didn't seem to belong at all.  We get an appearance from Beverly, but nothing, not even a phone call or card read from Mary Cooper or Meemaw.   

The only guest star I really cared about was Stephen Hawking.   To me his singing Happy Birthday to Sheldon is what stole the show. 

I wanted to like this episode because I am extremely fond of Sheldon, but to me the Sheldon worship was overdone.   Too much focus was put on Sheldon and Penny, and my Shamy heart is left wanting.    I don't see Penny as a threat to Shamy, however, I see Penny giving Sheldon attention that he should be getting from Amy and she should be giving to Leonard.   I see Sheldon giving physical attention to Penny that he should be giving to Amy.   I see Amy standing back and watching it happen.      I see Sheldon continuing to be elevated on a pedestal while Leonard continues to take abuse from his mother.     I see Sheldon's friends stepping up to show him how much they care, and Sheldon taking pot shots at their efforts.

When is someone going to start noticing Leonard and his accomplishments?   Where is his birthday party?   Sheldon is not the only one in the group that suffered harm as a child.   I'm getting so tired of seeing everyone go out of their way to remind Sheldon of his value while Leonard continues to be beaten down.   Without Leonard in his life, Sheldon wouldn't have the friends that he has.

Edited by jenafan

4 minutes ago, jenafan said:

I love Sheldon, but sometimes there is too much of a good thing, and this episode was it.   I hated the 200th did not seem like a celebration of the show but a celebration of Sheldon solely.   I get that it was his birthday, but it just didn't feel right that they centered such a milestone episode around a single character.    It is everyone who makes TBBT what it is, not just Sheldon.

1.  Beverly will make special effort to be at Sheldon's party but refuses to celebrate her own son's birthday.   Then she has the gull to rub in Leonard's face that she invited Sheldon to her 60th celebration and he came, but Leonard wasn't invited.   WTF!

2.  What's with Kripke and Leslie being there?  I thought they hated Sheldon and Sheldon doesn't care for them.

4.  I feel Amy got snubbed.   It was her idea to throw Sheldon a birthday party, but Penny got all the credit for it and a hug at the end, which Sheldon said irritated him, but he really seemed into it.   Where's Amy's hug or kiss from Sheldon showing his admiration for her?   The birthday suit line just didn't do it for me in the humor department.   This would have been a perfect private moment for Shamy, and yet I felt like I was seeing the old Shamy where Amy is having to drop hints to Sheldon of what she wants and he isn't getting it.    I hate to say it, but I really just don't think Sheldon is into sex as much as I hoped he would have grown to be.   I would like confirmation from him, not just subtle remarks from Amy in her conversations with the girls that they are occasionally dancing in the sheets.  I thought perhaps Sheldon's vasectomy line last week hinted at something, but when Sheldon continues to be absent minded about Amy's flirtations, it makes me wonder.

5.   I hated hated hated that Sheldon's birthday party turned into a let's worship Sheldon with words of admiration from everyone.   I get that Sheldon was picked on growing up, and I feel bad for him.   However, does the guy really need an ego boost?   To hear Sheldon getting it and then having him criticize Howard for his attempt was just too much for me to bare.   It actually pissed me off that Sheldon was being so callous toward everyone.

6.  I found it interesting that Sheldon is given the dignity of going to unlock the door to let Penny in after she knocks, because he might be using the facilities.   However, when Penny is in the shower, the door is conveniently left unlocked so Sheldon can just walk in to disturb her to accept his apology.   Do the writer's even understand the double standard they set when writing these scenes?

On a positive note, I loved Leonard in this episode.   The line about missing the information of the mention of Sheldon's birthday being enough to make him vanish cracked me up.   I liked Leonard pointing out that everyday is all about Sheldon.    I loved that Leonard acknowledged that he sees Sheldon as his brother.  

I thought Jim's acting was excellent, as always.   I just didn't care for the way the writer's put all the focus on Sheldon in an episode that should have been about Leonard, Penny, Howard, Raj, Bernadette, and Amy.   Too many guest stars.   I enjoyed Adam West more in the car with the guys than at the party.   Wil Wheaton was okay.   Kripke trying to get laid by Beverly was just creepy, and Leslie just didn't seem to belong at all.  We get an appearance from Beverly, but nothing, not even a phone call or card read from Mary Cooper or Meemaw.   

The only guest star I really cared about was Stephen Hawking.   To me his singing Happy Birthday to Sheldon is what stole the show. 

I wanted to like this episode because I am extremely fond of Sheldon, but to me the Sheldon worship was overdone.   Too much focus was put on Sheldon and Penny, and my Shamy heart is left wanting.    I don't see Penny as a threat to Shamy, however, I see Penny giving Sheldon attention that he should be getting from Amy and she should be giving to Leonard.   I see Sheldon giving physical attention to Penny that he should be giving to Amy.   I see Amy standing back and watching it happen.      I see Sheldon continuing to be elevated on a pedestal while Leonard continues to take abuse from his mother.     I see Sheldon's friends stepping up to show him how much they care, and Sheldon taking pot shots at their efforts.

When is someone going to start noticing Leonard and his accomplishments?   Where is his birthday party?   Sheldon is not the only one in the group that suffered harm as a child.   I'm getting so tired of seeing everyone go out of their way to remind Sheldon of his value while Leonard continues to be beaten down.   Without Leonard in his life, Sheldon wouldn't have the friends that he has.

Very cogent thoughts jenafan. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, jenafan said:

In due time Penny well show Leonard some love haha. Always Been like ThAt though. But when it comes to important life decisions. Penny always turns to Leonard, and always well. Penny ain't no threat nor is Sheldon lol. However while its maternal affection. I agree LeonArd deserves attention. But its the running gag ain't it.

6 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Actually Penny was in the bathroom as THEY were playing off the parallel between Missy and Penny imo. Most casuals my friends. Love Lenny but I guess can't speak for all casuals. But I dont think its because casuals want them together. Which wouldn't be logical as well you know ew.

The only thing from this episode that might come into play in a future episode is the Amy Leonard argument of who know Sheldon better. The rest of the show was for February ratings.

11 minutes ago, jenafan said:

I loved you post jenafan! These two bits, I just have to thank you for writing them.  No he does not need an ego boost, and I thought they were going to focus on other couples, Have they really? We get sex isn't going to change Sheldon. Also, they are just gonna beat in that sex isn't going to change Sheldon, but  they don't have to, we get it! They are just waiting for everyone to concede and they BOOM.. but we expect that so... 

19 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

The only thing from this episode that might come into play in a future episode is the Amy Leonard argument of who know Sheldon better. The rest of the show was for February ratings.

Yeah the sp stuff inthink was purley a ratings pull.

32 minutes ago, jenafan said:

Yes...yes...and more yes.  You so eloquently said what I felt while watching the episode.   Thank you!

8 minutes ago, 5Mississippis said:

I couldn't delete that episode fast enough. The only bit I really enjoyed was the guys Batman conversation with Adam West when bringing him to the party.  For a milestone episode, it could have been so much more than just a love letter written to Sheldon Cooper. 

Then Sheldon Cooper throwing the letter in the bin lol. The show would be nothing without the ensemble. Tptb.seem to.think its al.due to.Sheldon.

4 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Yeah the sp stuff inthink was purley a ratings pull.

Yeah. Who really noticed Sheldon while he was in the bathroom with Penny. Most guys were seeing green and I think some women too. Then the hug. If this wasn't for ratings Sheldon would of been hugging Amy. 

2 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Yeah. Who really noticed Sheldon while he was in the bathroom with Penny. Most guys were seeing green and I think some women too. Then the hug. If this wasn't for ratings Sheldon would of been hugging Amy. 

In another ep he well hug Amy. And Penny well hug leonard. So I dont necessarily agree that Penny showed more physical contact or Sheldon did. Its a bit manufactured. But casuals aren't in it for the long haul.

OMG! What a piece of crap! IMO the episode sucked big time. The only time I laughed was with Kripke hitting on Beverly. I feel sorry for TBBT. This episode is up (Down) there with Itchy Brain and Speckerman. Hadn't seen such a bad episode in a long time.

It made sense to celebrate the only reason this show got to 200 episodes. Which is Sheldon.

A lot of routes to take with this one, but focusing on the Penny/Sheldon dynamic when that is the nostalgic core was probably an intelligent move.

Adam West did his best with the lines he got, but he was mostly forgettable in the half hour. Guess we've seen the gang run into too many celebs.

4 minutes ago, Carlos said:

OMG! What a piece of crap! IMO the episode sucked big time. The only time I laughed was with Kripke hitting on Beverly. I feel sorry for TBBT. This episode is up (Down) there with Itchy Brain and Speckerman. Hadn't seen such a bad episode in a long time.

Yep and a 200th lol what a joke. Although I liked Itchy Brain heh. All the build up the hype. And they deliver that? Be fine if they didn't make a big deal. But they did. 

Edited by 3ku11

I tried watching the episode without the fact in mind that the majority of eps this season have been about Sheldon and... I actually liked it. It was a sweet episode in itself.

Leonard was hysterical in it and his speech to Sheldon actually made me tear up. 

Penny was absolutely lovely (and my God, I think this is the most gorgeous Kaley has ever looked in an episode, ever). I loved how she made sure Stuart felt included at the end, she's just a great human being. I really, really loved the scene between Sheldon and Penny in the bathroom and it did make sense for her to be the one to talk to him on a certain level. When he was a kid it was his sister and her friends who made it hard for him, and now his sister-of-choice made it better. What's touching about their relationship is that we don't really have another loving sibling/maternal like relationship on the show, so it's great to see that dynamic between two characters. It's very pure and innocent and that moment was very sweet. Penny is gonna be an amazing mom eventually.

I thought there were a bit too many guest stars, but it was okay. 

Again, I really tried to watch it as a stand alone episode pretending Sheldon is not normally the focus, and that's when I liked it. I didn't mind that they focused on one character for a milestone episode. Heck, the 100th was an homage to Leonard and Penny. 

BUT.

As someone who's complained many, many times about how much they're focusing on Sheldon, I will say I agree with everyone who says they're tired of it. I am, too, and it needs to change. But this was one of the better Sheldon centric episodes, for sure. He needs to stop being an arrogant ass and appreciate his friends more, but other than that...

Oh, and Beverly still needs to get hit by a truck. And get run over by several other cars. Multiple times. 

15 minutes ago, Shelldon said:

It made sense to celebrate the only reason this show got to 200 episodes. Which is Sheldon.

A lot of routes to take with this one, but focusing on the Penny/Sheldon dynamic when that is the nostalgic core was probably an intelligent move.

Adam West did his best with the lines he got, but he was mostly forgettable in the half hour. Guess we've seen the gang run into too many celebs.

The show got to 200 episodes because of all of the characters and the very strong writing during the first five seasons.  Season 6, 7, and 8 had some good moments and Season 9 has been up and down.  Sheldon and Penny moments were unique when they did not get along.  Now that Sheldon and Penny get along, those moments fall flat.  To me, the handholds at the end of Season 5 were more touching and genuine.  As much as I like Sheldon's character, the amount of Sheldon centric episodes destroy the balance that earlier seasons perfected.