917 'The Celebration Experimentation' (February 25)

Tripper

1 hour ago, SRAM said:

Even though there could be an episode 300, I think this episode would have been better served with reference to the beginnings of the show and the whole cast, showing how they changed/matured.  Howard going from creepy to expectant father, Raj from mute and socially awkward to having girl problems, Leonard and Penny from being a dream to married and finally Sheldon from a cold robot to now having friends and a girlfriend.

I would have agreed if this were earlier seasons episode(some kind of milestone).......... but from the way things have went in the past few seasons....this episode seemed quite appropriate........celebration of Sheldon............

I hated kripke thought..... speech impediment is not funny.....the writers obviously make him creepy and look bad because otherwise it would look horrible.........

Edited by vasu

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, vasu said:

may be she did not say she was unhappy with her marriage directly ..........but that was gist that I got the from the scene......and clearly what the writers were going for........

remember they are married recently...........she did not look even a little bit thrilled while talking about leonard.......

her line to dad about leonard being great.........she was clearly trying to get her conversation with her dad to be finished......... if she really thinks leonard is great....then why not say the same to the doctor.........

oops...the below post is not a response to your post SRAM... I had it in another post but the site seemed to have combined my posts...

After seeing this epiosde....it just proves that if something were to happen to leonard and sheldon and penny was given the opportunity to save only one of them............there is no doubt that she would choose sheldon........

Sorry vasu, I can't agree with you.  We have seen a direct statement by Penny that she is happily married, to her father even with a little gushing about it, and no direct statement contradicting that original claim.  So inferring that the writers meant that in the Dr Gallo episode cannot be used as a counter to her already direct statement to being happily married because what the writers meant can not be verified.

Penny acted with Dr Gallo exactly like she acted with Dan during the job interview, when she gets put on a spot, she gets tongue-tied.  She acted stupid with Dan and kept saying "People", while with Dr Gallo she tried to avoid the question.  When things like this happened before with Leonard, she ran away, it is just Penny being Penny.

With this episode she was always acting like a wife with Leonard and everything she did with Sheldon was with Leonard's knowledge or in front of him, she was not picking Sheldon over him.

12 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I don't think it's just people who hate Sheldon that took issue with the episode. I just think some don't like an episode, the 200th, centered around one person. I said this on the discussion thread but a week from now people won't remember it was Sheldon's birthday.  Obviously the 100th episode was better than the 200th but the audience  who watch it now is a lot different. The casual fan, who is the majority now, want to see Sheldon and Penny together. That's why they were in the bathroom together and that's why they were hugging. Quite honestly I thought Amy's toast was a bit of an after thought. People are going to remember the hug more than her speech. The episode it self was okay. Seen better seen worse. Nice to see Leslie. Adam West and Kripke were  good. The other guests were okay.

Very good point. I'm definitely in the minority of people who don't mind as much the focus being on Sheldon, but at the same time I really would like the writers to branch away from that - they're wasting a LOT of potential for the other characters! - even though I get why they choose Sheldon to spotlight so often. And the reason I don't mind so much isn't because I'm a shamy shipper (in all honesty I would be really bored if the entire show focused on just their relationship - the first 8 episodes of this season were overkill for me) but because I get why the writers highlight Sheldon so much, even if a lot of us don't agree with or enjoy this. 

After all the comments and reviews, I expected to dislike this episode, but surprisingly I really enjoyed it. I kinda feel they should have done this for not the 200th episode so they didn’t hit us over the head with the Sheldon love for this series milestone, but as an episode, it largely worked for me. I agree the speeches were the weakest and most self-indulgent part, but even they didn’t irk me that much. Each speech was kind of a microcosm of each person’s relationship to Sheldon. And yes, that does just reinforce the Sheldon-show aspect of this series, which I’m not super fond of either (even though I do love the character), but for me, it did kind of work in the context of what they were trying to do here.

I actually liked the Sheldon and Penny scene. It highlighted the sweetness of their friendship without veering into questionable territory like with the dream sequence, the AU in the laundry room, or the intimacy acceleration, which read more like fan service and broke the 4th wall for me. There was nothing hinting at or dreaming up romantic undertones here. It just felt like two close friends who have known each other for years being there for each other. It worked to have it be Penny because of that “you are weird and it’s ok” line at the end. It doesn’t have the same impact for Leonard or Amy to say that.  It’s Penny – who grew up as a cool kid and also occasional bully – and who serves as the sister figure that redresses the ills of the first sister – that works in this context. I also didn’t find the hug confusing. He says he doesn’t like things that he likes all the time. It’s part of fighting with himself and wanting to keep things status quo before accepting change. It’s like all part of his growth process. It’s nice that he can hug Leonard, Penny and Amy and feel good about it. He can accept and give affection to people he cares about. I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

I liked the Amy & Sheldon moments too. Amy was super sweet to Sheldon and he appreciated it. She’s the one that set the ball in motion to rectify past wrongs by bringing up and spearheading the b day party, which speaks to her role in his life and how much she is a catalyst for change. He was touched by her speech and the fact that she said those things so sincerely and sweetly makes me feel better about some ambivalence she may or may not have been displaying for Sheldon during the break up plot. The birthday suit line wasn’t offensive to me. He didn’t seem to dismiss the idea, as he has in the past – it was more about a genuine lack of understanding in my eyes. I don’t feel that his misreading of social cues and euphemisms is going to go away just because he’s had sex. Sure, I would love to see Sheldon be the pursuer or display more interest or try to sublimate his desire for Amy into something else and fail, just to put that question to rest – but it didn’t bother me that it wasn’t addressed in this episode.

In general, I don’t get the threat to the Shamy relationship from Penny, but I agree that it would be nice to have the sweetness Penny sometimes shows to Sheldon translate more frequently to her relationship with Leonard. She does sometimes seem to take him for granted and comments that he needs to suck it up for issues in his past contrasted with how bad she feels for Sheldon do call things into question sometimes. Not because it means she has romantic feelings for Sheldon, but just because I feel the writers sometimes short shrift Leonard. Penny is a protective – don’t f*** with the people I love kind of person, and it would be nice to see her stand up for Leonard more often or sympathize with him for times he’s been wronged in the past. It was a bit off-putting to me that the way she was acting towards Stuart in this episode (stop feeling so damn sorry for yourself and just deal) was kind of reminiscent to me of how she treats Leonard. I think the writers want Leonard & Penny to have a strong relationship but keep sacrificing it for jokes. I like the teasing and occasionally adversarial relationship between Leonard and Penny, but it would be nice if they put the same time and energy into writing the occasional heartfelt scenes for them as they did for Sheldon & Penny. However I’m not a Lenny analyzer so take all with a grain of salt.

2 hours ago, SRAM said:

Sorry vasu, I can't agree with you.  We have seen a direct statement by Penny that she is happily married, to her father even with a little gushing about it, and no direct statement contradicting that original claim.  So inferring that the writers meant that in the Dr Gallo episode cannot be used as a counter to her already direct statement to being happily married because what the writers meant can not be verified.

Penny acted with Dr Gallo exactly like she acted with Dan during the job interview, when she gets put on a spot, she gets tongue-tied.  She acted stupid with Dan and kept saying "People", while with Dr Gallo she tried to avoid the question.  When things like this happened before with Leonard, she ran away, it is just Penny being Penny.

With this episode she was always acting like a wife with Leonard and everything she did with Sheldon was with Leonard's knowledge or in front of him, she was not picking Sheldon over him.

As I said many times Penny initially was put in the spot but later she got quite comfortable but still could not muster a single good thing about Leonard but sure complained a lot

as far as her considering Sheldon more than Leonard.... I can give a lot of examples .... She feels sorry for Sheldon because of his childhood issues ... And wants to hug him and make it better .... And when Leonard talks about his issues penny basically says I don't care or you deserved it .... Something like that ... All the while knowing how his childhood was ....

if u remember the table episode ... She basically did a complete 360 in the end and ditched Leonard because Sheldon was sad. ... I can give a lot more examples but These should suffice 

45 minutes ago, littleknee said:

[ -- SNIP -- ]

... but I agree that it would be nice to have the sweetness Penny sometimes shows to Sheldon translate more frequently to her relationship with Leonard. She does sometimes seem to take him for granted and comments that he needs to suck it up for issues in his past contrasted with how bad she feels for Sheldon do call things into question sometimes. Not because it means she has romantic feelings for Sheldon, but just because I feel the writers sometimes short shrift Leonard. Penny is a protective – don’t f*** with the people I love kind of person, and it would be nice to see her stand up for Leonard more often or sympathize with him for times he’s been wronged in the past. It was a bit off-putting to me that the way she was acting towards Stuart in this episode (stop feeling so damn sorry for yourself and just deal) was kind of reminiscent to me of how she treats Leonard. I think the writers want Leonard & Penny to have a strong relationship but keep sacrificing it for jokes. I like the teasing and occasionally adversarial relationship between Leonard and Penny, but it would be nice if they put the same time and energy into writing the occasional heartfelt scenes for them as they did for Sheldon & Penny. However I’m not a Lenny analyzer so take all with a grain of salt.

As a die-hard and nearly disenfranchised Lenny, I couldn't agree with this more.  

The episode was nice for nostalgia but nothing great imo. Agree with people who wanted the focus on the whole group and not just Sheldon. Those 7 people make the show what it is not just him. I know he is the supposed star and I love him but this was too much. 

Leonard pointing out that everyday is about Sheldon was funny. The car scene with Adam West over discussion of the best Batman was funny. Sheldon and Penny scenes were nice as well. Incredibly sweet. 

I feel like the abundance of guest stars did not make the effect it was supposed to, imo of course. Christine Baranski is so awesome and considering she has won an Emmy in the past for guest starring on this show, and to have her appearance decreased to this? Getting hit on by Kripke? Big NO. And I feel like I should not complain about the lack of continuity on this show anymore but come on! The last time she was on, she promised to shower Leonard with unconditional love. Not okay! 

I am sorry but I have stopped caring for Kripke and Stuart. After several years of Raj being down in the dumps, I've had enough. Kripke was creepy, not to mention unfunny. And Leslie just felt out of place.

I kinda wish they hadn't made a big deal of the 200th thing and just focussed on making a 'funny episode' with the main cast like last week. It proved that the show is at its best in group episodes,  that's what the show is, not just Sheldon and him being pampered by people he doesn't care about.

Also Kaley looked great. #girlcrush

Most things have been said but......

I laughed a lot during the lead up to the actual party. Leonard nailed every line in the opening scene.

Adam West was brilliant in the car with guys talking Batmans. The conversation covered all the opinions of the Batmans over the years and loved West perception of his non enhanced Batman physique. Lego Batman yay but missed out on animated Batman references ( MY Favourite Batmans). Unfortunately subsequent Adam West involvement was caraciture at best  

I found Penny's dissing of Stuart funny during the party preparation and while some moan about Stuart's pathetic role his characterisation in this episode was consistent with the not quite in the group but good enough to be there thing he's been throughout. And yeah Penny trying to involve him in the end and telling he nailed it - big tick.   Actually I felt the writers made a conscious effort to make Penny stand out, and not just with the dress and her noticeable attributes. Despite the Sheldon overload, I thought she was the standout.

I loved Leslie's spot on critique of the lack of real change and that subtly her first scene was with Leonard not Sheldon to stress the outside observation of how stupid the lack of moving on from Sheldon is. 

In the end though I felt it became a confirmation of the satirical putdown of milestone episodes that the Simpsons obviously mocked in their milestone episodes. Except this one took it seriously while the Simpsons laughed at themselves. The speeches and interactions from the characters, both main and guest  were just summaries of their roles in the show.Kripke was creepy funny, Stuart pathetically sad and insignificant, Wheaton just paraphrased his changing role ( while looking too sweet for me), Beverley was bitchy to Leonard and respectful of Sheldon, Leslie was there to thrown in her dumbass catchphrase, Howard was downgraded by Sheldon, Raj was awkardly ambiguous and Bernadette nailed it with one line. Amy was sweet and that was recognised by Sheldon but then put back into secondary character mode as Penny took over as the alpha female in dealing with Sheldon with her greater experience. The Shenny scene in the bathroom was the homage to their growing by long time relationship. I think in all the Lenny and Shamy frenzy we fail to remember the number of times these two have had important discussions from the very beginning. The hug was nostalgic but a bit too intense from Penny from me. And Leonard - throughout the episode were the constant reminders of the annoyances of Sheldon in his life but the speech was the Shelnard love in a nutshell. All that was lack was The Simpsons Troy Maclure voice overs as each reminisce took place!

Funny - first half yes. Second half - moments of fun lost amongst overbearing Sheldon stroking.

Too much Sheldon? Love the character but Way too much. 

As a 200th? Dripping with nostalgic reflection without the piss taking I loved in Simpsons milestones. 

Am I annoyed? No just wasted opportunity. Would rather an episode with a purpose than a homage. Here's to getting back to the main story - whatever that is!

3 minutes ago, Itwasdestined said:

I laughed a lot during the lead up to the actual party. Leonard nailed every line in the opening scene.

Adam West was brilliant in the car with guys talking Batmans. The conversation covered all the opinions of the Batmans over the years and loved West perception of his non enhanced Batman physique. Lego Batman yay but missed out on animated Batman references ( MY Favourite Batmans). Unfortunately subsequent Adam West involvement was caraciture at best  

I found Penny's dissing of Stuart funny during the party preparation and while some moan about Stuart's pathetic role his characterisation in this episode was consistent with the not quite in the group but good enough to be there thing he's been throughout. And yeah Penny trying to involve him in the end and telling he nailed it - big tick.   Actually I felt the writers made a conscious effort to make Penny stand out, and not just with the dress and her noticeable attributes. Despite the Sheldon overload, I thought she was the standout.

I loved Leslie's spot on critique of the lack of real change and that subtly her first scene was with Leonard not Sheldon to stress the outside observation of how stupid the lack of moving on from Sheldon is. 

In the end though I felt it became a confirmation of the satirical putdown of milestone episodes that the Simpsons obviously mocked in their milestone episodes. Except this one took it seriously while the Simpsons laughed at themselves. The speeches and interactions from the characters, both main and guest  were just summaries of their roles in the show.Kripke was creepy funny, Stuart pathetically sad and insignificant, Wheaton just paraphrased his changing role ( while looking too sweet for me), Beverley was bitchy to Leonard and respectful of Sheldon, Leslie was there to thrown in her dumbass catchphrase, Howard was downgraded by Sheldon, Raj was awkardly ambiguous and Bernadette nailed it with one line. Amy was sweet and that was recognised by Sheldon but then put back into secondary character mode as Penny took over as the alpha female in dealing with Sheldon with her greater experience. The Shenny scene in the bathroom was the homage to their growing by long time relationship. I think in all the Lenny and Shamy frenzy we fail to remember the number of times these two have had important discussions from the very beginning. The hug was nostalgic but a bit too intense from Penny from me. And Leonard - throughout the episode were the constant reminders of the annoyances of Sheldon in his life but the speech was the Shelnard love in a nutshell. All that was lack was The Simpsons Troy Maclure voice overs as each reminisce took place!

Funny - first half yes. Second half - moments of fun lost amongst overbearing Sheldon stroking.

As a 200th? Dripping with nostalgic reflection without the piss taking I loved in Simpsons milestones. 

Am I annoyed? No just wasted opportunity. Would rather an episode with a purpose than a homage. Here's to getting back to the main story - whatever that is!

Yeah the hug may have been Kaley going overboard lol. Maybe getting emotional? But I agree. A casuals episode. Should hv bn living arrangement focused.

27 minutes ago, Itwasdestined said:

Loved your thoughts Itwas. Thank you for sharing!

17 hours ago, Shelldon said:

It made sense to celebrate the only reason this show got to 200 episodes. Which is Sheldon.

Thank you so much for saying this! I wish the jokes they write for the show nowadays were all as good as this one. Because ... it IS a joke, right?

Really enjoyed the show. Even though some think that it was just another Sheldon show, the writers had a good way to get lots of the regular guests together for this special event. Too bad Sheldon's mother couldn't make it. And Sheldon's takes another step to humanity without still being Sheldon with his comments and misunderstandings. Glad we could see Leslie Winkle again, though I'd loved to have seen Amy's expression to her "Happy Birthday Dumbass." Or Amy even taking to her or even Beverly since they are both neurobiologists. But then they only have 20 minutes and they fit a lot in it by fast pacing. Well done, guys.

4 hours ago, bbtfan07 said:

Or Amy even taking to her or even Beverly since they are both neurobiologists. But then they only have 20 minutes and they fit a lot in it by fast pacing. Well done, guys.

Well since Beverly usually just makes people cry I thought it was funny she was talking to Barry Kripke.

30c005981834939eb7c5fde295adc016.jpg 

tumblr_m16ns1kjsp1qcogako1_250.gif  vlck%C3%A9p00002.png

Edited by djsurrey

Well, contrary to everyone's thoughts that this could have been a better 200th episode, I would agree on some notes, such as the focus being too much on Sheldon. In my case it's a bit different. I feel like the left out Stewart here, and that's because I totally forgot that it was the 200th episode when I watched it.  Therefore, even though it was all about Sheldon, it felt to me like a special episode.

I was thrilled to find out that Adam West was making an appearance on the show. I liked the first scene in the car, but I was a bit disappointed in his role at the party. First of all I expected to see him dressed up as Batman. I am sure that Sheldon would have appreciated that too. It would have been cool if Sheldon hadn't first noticed that it was West in the outfit, then when he would find out it was him would have been an appropriate time to go into his near fainting spell. His lines at the party were ehhh.. It sounded like he was just advertising himself for his guest appearances, although I loved when he said "I still get paid don't i?". Stewart had foreshadowed his persistence about that at his comic store.

Speaking of Stewart, I though his segments on the show were right on character, especially when Amy interrupted him and Penny said you nailed it.

So people were wondering why Amy didn't get much of the attention with Sheldon in this episode. Well, I'm going to have to go out on a limb and say the focus on the characters were quite orderly last night in terms of who the most popular actors on the show. That would be Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco who all received their deserved time in the episode. No disrespect to Amy, she is a great addition to the show, but when it comes down to pure acting, she is not quite up to par with the former 3 that I mentioned. As a matter of fact I can hardly pronounce Miriam Beliack