The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

917 'The Celebration Experimentation' (February 25)

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I was quoting from The Desperation Emanation:-

Amy: That was rude.

Sheldon: He does it all the time. He’s a cornucopia of social awkwardness.

Amy: Cornucopia. What a mellifluous word.

Sheldon: Let’s make that our word of the day.

Amy: Agreed. And we’ll use mellifluous tomorrow.

BTW: What do you mean, attempting humor? :angry: 

Amy Farrah Fowler, interesting factoid:-

Did you know that the iconic Valentine’s heart shape is not actually based on the shape of a human heart, but rather on the shape of the buttocks of a female bending over?

:)

200w.gif

• Like 2

On 2/28/2016 at 9:59 PM, JE7 said:
On 2/28/2016 at 9:56 PM, Shelldon said:

Well Sheldon shows hubris every episode and he's the only stand-out voice in the show that we hear. The Big Bang Theory is all about giving Sheldon accolades and authority

Dude I am at work could you please not bore me to sleep? Thanks I would appreciate it :icon_rolleyes:

Feisty Sheldon hater :)

Just now, Shelldon said:

Feisty Sheldon hater :)

Actually I like Sheldon in appropriate doses just not 90℅ of the show revolving around him :shy:

• Like 5

On 26 February 2016 at 2:59 AM, vonmar said:

I felt the whole thing was about callbacks to the history of the show. Steven Hawking, P/S hugs, Leslie's endless mocking (loved the dumbass toast), Sheldon & Wil's turbulent past, Leonard versus Sheldon's relationship with Beverly, Penny's growth from the cool bullying type to loving adult, etc, etc, etc.

I loved it, in some the articles that have been posted in the last few days have noted that they weren't going for a life changing episode...they were going for  nostalgia, callbacks, growth of the characters and a reflection of the love that all of the people involved have for this show.

Just me. 

Not just you at all, everyone in this house loved it :) 

Literally nothing happened in the 100th episode, the only ‘real scenes’ lasted what 2 or 3 minutes? the rest was all in Leonards head. It was a different style of episode for this show which is why my 200th episode prediction was for fake flashbacks, I wasn’t that far off with the nostalgic call backs that filled this episode though!

The 100th was all about Leonard & Penny so I see no problem with Sheldon being the main focus of the 200th at all :icon_cheesygrin:

On 26 February 2016 at 7:44 PM, Chocoholic said:

Christine Baranski is so awesome and considering she has won an Emmy in the past for guest starring on this show,

Nope. She did not.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

The 100th was all about Leonard & Penny so I see no problem with Sheldon being the main focus of the 200th at all :icon_cheesygrin:

Ya know, if Sheldon had had as little screen time prior to the 200th, as Leonard and Penny had prior to the 100th, I could buy your contention here.  But almost the entire first two-thirds of the season has been about Sheldon. Unlike the first half of the season prior to the 100th.

• Like 9

For this fan, IMO as a milestone episode, it fell flat.  To me, that is very disappointing.  I think there were other ways to approach this episode that really focused on all the great characters.  My knee jerk reaction was this was a love letter to Sheldon.  The guy who can be royal pain in the ass who can be grown up and tunes in social conventions in one ep but then regressed to child like and or called Lenny's pet in another.  I love the ensemble.  It's what ultimately makes the show for me.  Yes they were all there and some favorites from early on and Adam West as guest star but it was hard to see past Sheldon and his issues or why they all love/pander to Sheldon. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

Not just you at all, everyone in this house loved it :) 

Literally nothing happened in the 100th episode, the only ‘real scenes’ lasted what 2 or 3 minutes? the rest was all in Leonards head. It was a different style of episode for this show which is why my 200th episode prediction was for fake flashbacks, I wasn’t that far off with the nostalgic call backs that filled this episode though!

Nope. She did not.

Oh! Thank you so much for pointing that out! My apologies for the wrong info. :/ Perhaps I confused her with Bob Newhart. But she was nominated though, wasn't she? And back then she deserved it, with the material they gave her, imo. I just found the whole Barry and Beverly thing weird and creepy. :( I was not a fan of the whole Stuart and Debbie thing as well. And this just seems to kinda sorta mirror that. 

6 hours ago, Tensor said:

Ya know, if Sheldon had had as little screen time prior to the 200th, as Leonard and Penny had prior to the 100th, I could buy your contention here.  But almost the entire first two-thirds of the season has been about Sheldon. Unlike the first half of the season prior to the 100th.

I think part of it was the surprise they were getting back together. You didn't see it coming. This episode, while I admit had some funny parts , was too predictable. As you pointed out the first 2/3 of the season was about Sheldon. So the 200th was about him too. While I get the idea of bringing back old characters, especially Leslie, and having Adam West on someone could of came up with some  group centered storyline. The writers are getting big bucks at this point. It's  a shame they decided to rest on their laurels.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Chocoholic said:

Oh! Thank you so much for pointing that out! My apologies for the wrong info. :/ Perhaps I confused her with Bob Newhart. But she was nominated though, wasn't she? And back then she deserved it, with the material they gave her, imo. I just found the whole Barry and Beverly thing weird and creepy. :( I was not a fan of the whole Stuart and Debbie thing as well. And this just seems to kinda sorta mirror that. 

Yes she was nominated 3 times for this and won for Cybill back in the day :)

http://www.emmys.com/bios/christine-baranski 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

Loved her in Cybill.  Her catch phrase when speaking about her ex-husband (said with extreme venom and very hilariously) was "Dr. Dick!"

She was the best part of that show I can see why Cybill was so jealous of her! 

• Like 1

On 29/2/2016 at 7:55 AM, Denise07 said:

For this fan, IMO as a milestone episode, it fell flat.  To me, that is very disappointing.  I think there were other ways to approach this episode that really focused on all the great characters.  My knee jerk reaction was this was a love letter to Sheldon.  The guy who can be royal pain in the ass who can be grown up and tunes in social conventions in one ep but then regressed to child like and or called Lenny's pet in another.  I love the ensemble.  It's what ultimately makes the show for me.  Yes they were all there and some favorites from early on and Adam West as guest star but it was hard to see past Sheldon and his issues or why they all love/pander to Sheldon. 

I agree. I saw this last night and it was flat. It struck me the gang were not celebrating Sheldon as a person, but more that they were conduits for the varied connections praising "Sheldon" as a real good earner. As when the connections gather round a racehorse that has won some big derby and they congratulate the horse and its wonderful characteristics while they are counting their money. There is, of course, a lot of love for the horse... but then there is also a lot of gratitude for the cash.

Adam West should become recurring, was my other thought. "what's an affleck?" Gold.

• Like 3

First, a big Thank You to Wardrobe for Penny's dress - and to KC for wearing it so well. But we should have seen Leonard being stunned by Penny in The Dress and telling her how great she looked - if he's already blase about that their relationship is doomed, but I guess the makers just didn't bother to show it. Also as this was sort of a recap of the first 200, we should have seen Howard gobsmacked by Penny - sure he's a reformed husband and father-to-be now, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't notice, and he could have just looked. Also we know from a scene in his store that Stuart is an enthusiastic looker-down of dresses.

This wasn't actually all about Sheldon, it was about Sheldon and Penny; the party was for Sheldon, but Penny was the organiser and  mistress of ceremonies. That was as it should be as far as it goes, because the show has been driven by the relationships between Penny and the guys in 4A. So it was a relief that for once we didn't get too much Amy, and Sheldon was concentrated on his friendship with Penny - it's not just her superior Sheldon-wrangling skills, that's one of the 3 foundational relationships. So why wasn't the Leonard and Penny relationship given similar prominence to S-P and L-S?

I wonder how Penny will develop next - in this ep she was as good as she was beautiful, which is more appropriate to the heroine of a fairy tale than of a sitcom.

I'm probably the only viewer who thinks Amy should have gone off with Kripke long ago, but this ep costumes showed it - people who wear cardigans to a fairly dressy party don't deserve anyone except each other. Looks even worse on a man. But as that's not going to happen, I hope Kripke's hitting on Beverly goes somewhere. Could make for some great Kripke and Leonard scenes.

Some posters have complained that Penny isn't as protective and even maternal with Leonard as with Sheldon. Well that's absolutely as it should be - what does Penny do with Leonard that she doesn't do with Sheldon? If she was shown being "maternal" with Leonard it would creep me out.

I believe the last birthday party Penny organised was for Leonard's birthday in 116 The Peanut Reaction - they have got older, haven't they?

BTW, did anyone else notice the dress Penny was wearing for the party? I thought she looked like a million dollars.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

First, a big Thank You to Wardrobe for Penny's dress - and to KC for wearing it so well. But we should have seen Leonard being stunned by Penny in The Dress and telling her how great she looked - if he's already blase about that their relationship is doomed, but I guess the makers just didn't bother to show it. Also as this was sort of a recap of the first 200, we should have seen Howard gobsmacked by Penny - sure he's a reformed husband and father-to-be now, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't notice, and he could have just looked. Also we know from a scene in his store that Stuart is an enthusiastic looker-down of dresses.

This wasn't actually all about Sheldon, it was about Sheldon and Penny; the party was for Sheldon, but Penny was the organiser and  mistress of ceremonies. That was as it should be as far as it goes, because the show has been driven by the relationships between Penny and the guys in 4A. So it was a relief that for once we didn't get too much Amy, and Sheldon was concentrated on his friendship with Penny - it's not just her superior Sheldon-wrangling skills, that's one of the 3 foundational relationships. So why wasn't the Leonard and Penny relationship given similar prominence to S-P and L-S?

I wonder how Penny will develop next - in this ep she was as good as she was beautiful, which is more appropriate to the heroine of a fairy tale than of a sitcom.

I'm probably the only viewer who thinks Amy should have gone off with Kripke long ago, but this ep costumes showed it - people who wear cardigans to a fairly dressy party don't deserve anyone except each other. Looks even worse on a man. But as that's not going to happen, I hope Kripke's hitting on Beverly goes somewhere. Could make for some great Kripke and Leonard scenes.

Some posters have complained that Penny isn't as protective and even maternal with Leonard as with Sheldon. Well that's absolutely as it should be - what does Penny do with Leonard that she doesn't do with Sheldon? If she was shown being "maternal" with Leonard it would creep me out.

I believe the last birthday party Penny organised was for Leonard's birthday in 116 The Peanut Reaction - they have got older, haven't they?

BTW, did anyone else notice the dress Penny was wearing for the party? I thought she looked like a million dollars.

loved that dress!!!

It occurred to me on second watching that if this was a celebration of all that's gone before it should have included more of Penny's facial reactions that did so much to make the humour. Apart from a rather toned-down version when Sheldon said "people will think I'm weird" she held pretty much the same expression the whole time. That's not the way she built the show.

BTW, I've watched all 200 eps at least twice, some more, so that's equivalent to more than 5 days and nights of viewing. Have most people here done that? Is that being a nerd? and for comparison, how much time are the guys supposed to have spent watching Star Wars?

On 2/29/2016 at 8:11 AM, 3ku11 said:

Shows a cash cow at this stage. And Sheldon is their cow.

writers asking themselves 'hmm how should we mark 200th?'

answer: 'hey, I know, let's make Sheldon regress into socially inept 6yo again, we haven't done that for an episode or two...'

massive yawn, zero laughs, zero originality, max boredom

• Like 1

On 28/02/2016 at 4:54 PM, Einstein Von Brainstorm said:

My extremely late thoughts on the 200th episode...

All the little nostalgic call backs in this episode were amazing!

• It starts with a stair gag
  • The boys having the ‘which Batman’ banter in the car
  • Stuart hating himself and getting cut off during his speech
  • Beverly being a grade A+ shitty parent 
  • Amy flirting with Sheldon and him just. not. getting it.
  • Sheldon’s complete lack of sentimentality “Adam West, ...for some reason??” 
  • The conversation between Leonard and Leslie, “I thought you’d be living with Sheldon forever!” - hilarious! and hopefully foreshadowing to him moving TF out!
  • Barry Kripke - more of him! Much, much more please!
  • Wolowitz trying his hardest in his speech and still not being good enough for Sheldon, again!
  • Sheldon thinking that Will Wheaton is really famous
  • Why was Leslie there? - nostalgia pure and simple “Happy Birthday dumbass!” 
  • Raj being a long winded hippy in his speech and Penny’s comment that he’ll ruin the party making people do the electric slide
  • Leonard saying something beautiful about Sheldon but not without getting in the little “believe me I try” dig 
  • Penny being a sassy hilarious bad ass!

The only call back that I thought was missing was Bernadette yelling like Mrs Wolowitz, that would have capped it off for me :) 

Amy had a perfect birthday and wants to return the favour swooon :wub:

touching.png

Adam West was quality “What’s an Afleck?” :rofl: 

Sheldon’s panic attack was horrible but really insightful to me, we’ve seen plenty of Sheldon avoiding the causes of his anxiety over the years but we’ve never really seen how they affect him from his point of view before. He ran to the bathroom, presumably to throw up and when Penny came into the room he was still a bit breathless and shaken. With the massive list of things Sheldon gets anxious about it is amazing that he ever leaves the house never mind holds down a job, a relationship and a social life! Panic attacks are quite possibly the most horrible thing that I’ve ever personally experienced and seeing him actually having one here, instead of just hearing the little jokes about them (like “If I can walk past that pet store with the Parrot in the window”) wasn’t a pleasant experience for me at all :( 

Does anyone else think that Leonard and Amy fighting over who should go and speak to Sheldon was foreshadowing to the bigger issue there coming to the boil? or was it just for jokes and setting up the Missy comparison in the bathroom scene? I’d like to see them tackle Leonard’s enabling of Sheldon head on but TPTB don’t seem to like change enough for that to happen unfortunately :icon_neutral:

I loved every part of the bathroom scene right from the bathroom schedule gag. Penny admitting that she would have bullied Sheldon when she was a kid too. They have both come so far since episode two when she called the guys "You sick, geeky bastards!” Now she loves their quirks, he’s in a  girl/boy relationship with a cute little lump of wool, he’s celebrating his Birthday (willingly!) and they both love the little self made family that the gang have all grown into :) <3 

Amy’s speech and Sheldon’s reaction to it. Kill me now please!

cuttiepies.png

He came out of the bathroom reassured by Penny but he was still a little unsure and thought the party was getting out of hand (lmao!) but then Amy made her speech and suddenly the party was fun for him and he wanted to bask in how much everyone else loved him. I thought this was a really beautiful touch, Sheldon was born a twin he should never of had to be alone because being a twin *usually* means being born with a best friend but he was a lonely kid who’s parents/siblings/classmates did not understand him. Now he has this big group of friends who love him and he is finally learning to appreciate that! *heart eyes forever*

Bev.png

Loved Beverly’s reaction to Hawking being on the laptop and his signing was hilarious “I was crushing it, but alright”

hug.png

Bath item was one of my favourite episodes of TBBT when it first aired, the robot boy who never so much as smiled had a feeling! not only that but the selfish robot boy had a feeling of gratitude! It was a Saturnalia miracle!

Loved the comparison between Sheldon and Penny’s first hug and this one now, yes they still “extremely irritate” him but the little selfish robot boy has grown up into a slightly less selfish, slightly less robotic Man :wink: 

I’ve seen it a lot over the weekend and although it wasn’t a ‘big’ episode in terms of the direction of the storyline It did continue the ‘Sheldon’s growth’ theme that this season has concentrated on

There was also the flu-sharing hug in 315 The Large Hadron Collision - anyone remember any other S-P hugs? Actually I thought both the earlier ones, while deliberately awkward, were more in character - this time I could see it as just KC and JP congratulating each other. Maybe because I watched the 200 big ones just before.

I'm not sure about Sheldon's growth - P & L's domestic pet, lost control of FWF?

• Like 1

On 5/5/2016 at 10:55 AM, JohnPhD said:

anyone remember any other S-P hugs?

Yes.

Episode 7.01 The Hofstadter Insufficiency.

Sheldon confesses to not liking Youtube's thumbs-up rating system.

Penny treats his concerns, as if it were nothing.

Sheldon pulls her up on it, Penny apologizes, Sheldon accepts her apology, then she hugs him.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

This episode, oddly enough, is being hotly debated on The Good Doctor fan boards.The preview they have been airing for the show is about the autistic man on the show, Shaun, and his dying father. In the preview he seems to be being comforted by his friend, Leah, even though the showrunners have spent most of the season with on a plotline about how Shaun and his girlfriend, Carly, need to communicate more about things that matter to them.

It is being compared to Penny calming Sheldon down instead of Amy. I guess it just goes to prove there really is not much original out there anymore.