The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

918 'The Application Deterioration' (March 10)

'The Application Deterioration' - Season 9, Episode 18 
Airs Thursday, March 10 at 8/7c on CBS.

Leonard, Sheldon, and Wolowitz run into problems when they file for a patent for their infinite persistence gyroscope. Also, Penny, Amy and Bernadette give Koothrappali dating advice when Emily reaches out to him after their breakup.

Rate This Episode

• Like 4

it was a cute episode. for me, it had some laugh out loud ( silently though as it was 3:00 am) moments in the beginning with Raj and the girls in 4B.  it had some sweet friendship moments too among the guys. I can't say I was thrilled with the Raj story line though. Perhaps it could have been done better or differently. 

Raj is a d-bag.  IMHO.  YMMV.  Even Sheldon's girlfriend skills are more advanced, and that's saying a LOT.  Not sure I buy that Emily is that upset that he broke up with her.  She's way too cool for him.  He is officially the least sympathetic character.   Maybe just...pathetic.

• Like 8

Raj storyline is pathetic and not the least bit funny. Brought down the whole episode, which wasn't that great in the first place. Seemed like a filler episode. Probably should watch it again. Hate when I feel that way about an episode.

• Like 2

So basically this was just an episode of Sheldon contract puns (and the thousandth time we've gone over the Howard/Sheldon issue. Time to find something new writers.)

Claire and Raj have far better chemistry, mainly because Claire has better dialogue and is probably a more engaging actress. While this love triangle still feels like it was abysmally executed, I've come to the conclusion Emily is now just being used as a roadblock. Being an antagonistic manipulator may play to Emily's strengths considering all we know about her horror type character. Claire can be explored in Season 10 after Raj learns his lesson with this situation.

Cute episode with a rather abrupt ending though.   The premise of the story arc with the boys is flawed from the beginning though.  Because by now the boys would have definitely filed for a previous patent on their work given the longevity of their employment there.   So they would have already known the rules about ownership rights.   Even in private sector world, when you are employed by a company, they own the rights.   So it was kind of silly that the boys would be surprised by this.  They SHOULD have already known this long ago.

I do feel they really do a terrible job with Raj's character for some reason.   I know the episode tried to portray Emily as a manipulator here, but was she?  What has she ever done to prove that she does not care for Raj?   She never asked him to change, never asked him to be anything but who he is?   She liked him just as he was even from the beginning.   She even was a bit jealous when she first met Penny because she thought more went on with she and Raj than really happened.   So she clearly likes Raj.   

Claire was likable in the first episode, but I felt way out of line in this one and very judgmental and already trying to influence him to "her thinking."   That is something Emily never did.  She never spoke illy of anyone else...just said what she was feeling (whether real or not, but why wouldn't they be after dating him for three years and liking him the way he was?).   Whereas Claire was putting her down without knowing Emily.   

I just feel that whole story was poorly written.   It still was amusing enough...but the best part of the story was related to the contract and the boys rather than Raj's weak story.

On 3/11/2016 at 7:13 PM, Shelldon said:

Claire and Raj have far better chemistry, mainly because Claire has better dialogue and is probably a more engaging actress. While this love triangle still feels like it was abysmally executed, I've come to the conclusion Emily is now just being used as a roadblock. Being an antagonistic manipulator may play to Emily's strengths considering all we know about her horror type character. Claire can be explored in Season 10 after Raj learns his lesson with this situation.

I think that is debatable.   I think Raj could be easily railroaded by Claire and she would spend a lot of time trying to change him, something Emily never has done to him.  Emily accepted him as he was always quirks and all and liked him just as he is.   She never tried to change him.   

The actress that plays Claire to me was likable in the first episode we met her, but I felt she was a turn-off in this episode to be frank.   It was not her place to judge Emily without knowing her.   And for what?  She doesn't even know if she and Raj are compatible, but was just wanting a date with him.   

Personally, I feel like Claire is a lot like Penny, but without Penny's warmth.   She is like the kick-ass Penny, not like the kind and comforting Penny.   Not sure I would want to see Raj with a woman that kicks him around all the time.   We see enough of that with Leonard, but at least Leonard gets a warm side to his wife at times.   

With Emily, Raj has more a partnership, but I feel it would not be a partnership with Claire, but he would end up being pushed around too much.   

Edited by stardustmelody
  • Like 4

4everlenny, filler episode good description - I don't recall other TBBT episodes starting with "highlights" of recent past episodes.  Was that necessary?  Or are they trying to make the new material in each episode even shorter?  Take out commercials and the "previously on TBBT" and what's left - 15 minutes?

And what's up with Penny?  I used to adore that character.  Now I find her a whole lot less endearing than ever, and almost acting more clueless than ever.  There is like zero romance in that relationship, too.  They haven't been married THAT long.  Leonard and Penny are like two old married people just coasting along in their relationship.  Howard and Bernie have a lot more going on.  Even Sheldon and Amy seem more on fire.

Yes, I know this is a lot of complaining, but more than ever I feel like the show is running out of steam creatively.

• Like 5

I'm kind of over the Raj-Emily-Claire story line.  For me, it just isn't interesting and I just wish they would finally resolve it.

The rest of the episode...I really liked.  The girls in 4B, the guys in 4A.  Raj showing up at girls night. Sheldon's obsession with contracts. A little of each of the couples. The guys sticking together. A little more Sheldon growth.

Call it filler or whatever, sometimes there just is an episode that is about nothing spectacular....just about the people that inhabit TBBT world.

• Like 6

I hope I don't get stoned but I liked the episode.  I thought the girls together advising Raj was funny.  I thought the whole Raj, Emily and Claire thing was silly funny.  I felt Sheldon getting excited about writing a contract reminded me of old Sheldon, however he seems to understand things better this episode so it shows growth in him.  I really think the guys part centered more on Howard this episode.  I definitely liked this episode better than the 200th.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I hope I don't get stoned but I liked the episode.  I thought the girls together advising Raj was funny.  I thought the whole Raj, Emily and Claire thing was silly funny.  I felt Sheldon getting excited about writing a contract reminded me of old Sheldon, however he seems to understand things better this episode so it shows growth in him.  I really think the guys part centered more on Howard this episode.  I definitely liked this episode better than the 200th.

No stoning from me. I too liked the episode and thought it better than the 200th.   It was amusing overall, both stories....but I do think the boys story with the girls was stronger than Raj's story which had quite a few issues.  Even with those issues, however, it was very amusing.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the episode. I think too much time was spent on the whole Raj back and forth stuff but over all a good episode.

• Like 1

Certain parts of the Raj storyline were funny. When he was on the speaker phone and the girls were making faces was funny. The beginning part with him on the phone with Emily and Claire was funny. The parts I didn't like was the girls advice to Raj seemed wrong IMO. The girls seem to be all right with Emily before but Penny and Bernie were quick For him to dump het. Not only that but did they forget his track record with women? Emily, for some reason, likes him for him. don't see other woman that way. I also, like others have mentioned, didn't buy her being so broken up over the break up. In the case of Claire she was looking for an easy hook up and saw Raj IMO as a one night stand. By the way three episodes as her as a  bartender and she was wearing the same shirt. I understand they did the scenes all together but it wasn't in the budget for her to change her top.

the patent storyline was mediocre at best. The Howard inferior to Sheldon bit was old. Didn't get Bernie being bent out of shape with the contract. Is she new to the group about Sheldon's insulting ways. kind of the pot calling the kettle black. Sheldon in one of the few episodes of late really didn't bother me. 

Edited by Chrismo

19 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Certain parts of the Raj storyline were funny. When he was on the speaker phone and the girls were making faces was funny. The beginning part with him on the phone with Emily and Claire was funny. The parts I didn't like was the girls advice to Raj seemed wrong IMO. The girls seem to be all right with Emily before but Penny and Bernie were quick For him to dump het. Not only that but did they forget his track record with women? Emily, for some reason, likes him for him. don't see other woman that way. I also, like others have mentioned, didn't buy her being so broken up over the break up. In the case of Claire she was looking for an easy hook up and saw Raj IMO as a one night stand. By the way three episodes as her as a  bartender and she was wearing the same shirt. I understand they did the scenes all together but it wasn't in the budget for her to change her top.

the patent storyline was mediocre at best. The Howard inferior to Sheldon bit was old. Didn't get Bernie being bent out of shape with the contract. Is she new to the group about Sheldon's insulting ways. kind of the pot calling the kettle black. Sheldon in one of the few episodes of late really didn't bother me. 

I haven't seen the episode so no comment on that.   But she probably is wearing a uniform.   She would be wearing the same shirt every day.   They have a uniform at my bar and many other restaurants I've worked at. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, nickelette424 said:

I haven't seen the episode so no comment on that.   But she probably is wearing a uniform.   She would be wearing the same shirt every day.   They have a uniform at my bar and many other restaurants I've worked at. 

I understand what you were saying but I think they shot the scenes all in one day.

The end of an era.......... no more Howard is an engineer jokes.  I'm okay with that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

I understand what you were saying but I think they shot the scenes all in one day.

Maybe they did.   But her shirt wouldn't be any more likely to change if they didn't. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Don't know where the Emily Clair story is going. Will we hear any more about the patent? 

Will hear about the patent like we hear about tenure...............

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

Don't know where the Emily Clair story is going. 

I get what you're saying but my guess is both women are history. Maybe we will know more on Tuesday.

So I fell asleep on my couch 20 minutes into this episode tonight (when Raj was going back/forth with Emily and Claire on the phone). Guess that's a pretty clear sign of what I thought about the episode.

I'm torn over the Emily-Claire stuff though. I'm Team Emily, but I also kind of like Claire. The actress delivers the sarcastic/witty remarks perfectly

• Like 1

I liked the episode, mostly for the guys plot. I laughed also for Raj's plot, but I really can't see where they are going with it. The part about the girls suggesting Raj what to do and kind of mocking Emily while she was crying on the phone (I felt sorry for her...) was a little mean and reminded me the way the gang handled Amy and Sheldon break up.  But they gave Raj the right advise, he shouldn't have gone in her apartment, it doesn't look like he is so in love with her, does he? And BTW why is Emily so devastated? She won the lottery IMO the day Raj met Claire! Speaking of Claire, as long as I don't like Emily character, in this episode I've disliked her more! In her first episode she was different, she was tough, but passionate in her screenplay and she seemed to get along with Raj pretty well. But in this episode, she was very cynical and, frankly, I don't know if Emily was trying to manipulate Raj, but she certainly was doing it. Anyway, the scene from the car with the three of them phoning to each other was entertaining, and kind of original. A good episode....

• Like 1

OK episode for me.

Had to laugh, when Penny spies on Bernie and Howard at the door, and then quickly runs back to her chair.

Edited by luminous
  • Like 2