918 'The Application Deterioration' (March 10)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not even sure we're on the same channel, let alone watching the same show. 

Raj is a d-bag.  IMHO.  YMMV.  Even Sheldon's girlfriend skills are more advanced, and that's saying a LOT.  Not sure I buy that Emily is that upset that he broke up with her.  She's way too cool for

Previously in front of the writers room…

Posted Images

3 hours ago, luminous said:

OK episode for me.

Had to laugh, when Penny spies on Bernie and Howard at the door, and then quickly runs back to her chair.

That was so old school Penny.  Remember when Raj was upset because he though he was going to have to go back to India, so she left, so he could talk.  She listened outside the door with him too, then made a comment surprising them all.  I sort of like they remembered her nosiness and kept her in character.

• Like 2

I liked the guys' plot, it was interesting. 

The milk "joke" made me cringe irl. WTF?

The moment Leonard said that thing about Penny not defending him or sth while she was looking at her nails I thought of how people here would react. But I actually like what they're trying to do with them, it's not meant to be taken seriously.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Judith said:

I liked the guys' plot, it was interesting. 

The milk "joke" made me cringe irl. WTF?

The moment Leonard said that thing about Penny not defending him or sth while she was looking at her nails I thought of how people here would react. But I actually like what they're trying to do with them, it's not meant to be taken seriously.

I though her being distracted by her nails, why everyone was discussing the contract, was very old school Penny again, so it didn't bother the Lenny in me.

The milk thing surprised me, I thought it was funny, but after she said it I did a double take and thought, 'She really didn't say that did she?'

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I though her being distracted by her nails, why everyone was discussing the contract, was very old school Penny again, so it didn't bother the Lenny in me.

The milk thing surprised me, I thought it was funny, but after she said it I did a double take and thought, 'She really didn't say that did she?'

I wasn't surprised, I just thought "Took them long enough to make that joke". :D

I'm glad I saw almost no comments complaining about it. I think I like the vibe they're going for with them...I'm not a Lenny expert though.

12 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I agree. This Lenny shipper wasn't bothered at all. :icon_wink:

• Like 1

In some respects this episode has some of the elements of the last episode with Stephanie but I don't expect this is the last we will see of Emily. Overall I don't care for the crying girl leads to sex story. Penny's role was quite funny in the Stephanie story line but I don't think she saved this one.

If the patent story line gets dropped I will think that plot was pointless. If it is a vehicle to get Leonard and Sheldon together even while they move apart then it could be a turning point for the series.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Judith said:

The moment Leonard said that thing about Penny not defending him or sth while she was looking at her nails I thought of how people here would react. 

I didn't mind at all. It was perfectly in character for Penny to not pay attention to topics like that and instead focus on her nails. 

I liked the episode. I laughed a lot, so that's good enough for me.

• Like 2

Truly a 'meh' episode for me. Liked Howard's 'is the impression that your first name is Pee Wee', Sheldon's quest for 'the plaque', and Leonard's early morning defense of Howard by telling Sheldon to stop saying that Howard's contribution wasn't as valuable as his own. That bit, I thought, was cleverly written. Those bits made me chuckle, but other than that, not so much.

I have to disagree with my fellow Lennys. No one was really bothered by 'old school' Penny biting her thumb. I was. Bernadette stood up for Howard by saying 'the whole thing was your idea', to which Amy stood up for Sheldon by chiming in by pointing out 'that Howard's idea was based on Sheldon's math.' Bernadette supported Howard, Amy supported Sheldon, and Penny ... bit her thumb. Thank goodness Leonard reminded the group that they all had a share in this: Howard's invention, Sheldon's math, and Leonard's original theory. Thanks, Penny.

I liked Emily. She was smart, stood up to Sheldon, and had dark, dangerous edge that the writers flirted with that always intrigued and made me wonder what really was going on with her. In later episodes, she softened a bit like when we saw her volunteering with the others on the Thanksgiving episode. Hated that they had her weepy and needy, repeatedly asking Raj to come over. And it ended with them cuddling in bed! I think I would have liked it a whole lot more if, after sex, Emily stood up and said, 'I just wanted to see if you were worth it. You're not. Get out, Raj. And oh, the sextant? It's a cheap knock-off I got ... from India.' YMMV, but to me, that's Emily -- strong, smart, dangerous, who doesn't take anyone's shit. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Strawberry PopTart Fan said:

I second the motion, 5Miss. I disliked the thumb biting too. It would be such a pleasure to see Penny "stand by her man" now and then.:friends:

The only problem, tptb can only write funny L/P with her being snarky (see:  Sheldon demeans Leonard; see: Beverly disparages Leonard; see....)

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Strawberry PopTart Fan said:

I second the motion, 5Miss. I disliked the thumb biting too. It would be such a pleasure to see Penny "stand by her man" now and then.:friends:

Stand by what. There was no need to get involved. Sheldon looked a little pathetic and Howard just plain looked like a wimp. Bernadette=Howard's mom. Was the whole point to have Sheldon make a revised contract. Bernadette was just way over the top IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, Chrismo said:

Stand by what. There was no need to get involved. Sheldon looked a little pathetic and Howard just plain looked like a wimp. Bernadette=Howard's mom. Was the whole point to have Sheldon make a revised contract. Bernadette was just way over the top IMO.

Actually, the whole point was to show growth in Sheldon; to show him being magninomous toward Howard and Bernadette by giving a portion of his share as a gift.  Of course at the same time Leonard, once again.....(I apologize, don't mean to sound whiny or bitter, but to have him repeatedly put down....)

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

The only problem, tptb can only write funny L/P with her being snarky (see:  Sheldon demeans Leonard; see: Beverly disparages Leonard; see....)

Sadly, you're soooo right. Seems they can't let Penny say something nice about Leonard in a group setting. That's why we crave those one-on-one Lenny moments. Leonard knows she loves him, would do wonders for his still low shelf esteem if his wife supported him in these situations. He is the shows whipping boy. We're supposed to just take it that this is just the way Penny is. But she has shown a softer side, alone with Leonard.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

Actually, the whole point was to show growth in Sheldon; to show him being magninomous toward Howard and Bernadette by giving a portion of his share as a gift.  Of course at the same time Leonard, once again.....(I apologize, don't mean to sound whiny or bitter, but to have him repeatedly put down....)

It's a bit harsh, don't you think?  :shy:

15.gif.cf6cb18acd6f4372f746d57a70e7fd6d.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Just to remind them , maybe with a little hint of pride, that it was Leonard's original idea from which the whole plan grew.

• Like 7

When Raj requested respect while working with (or "for") Sheldon in season 3, episode 4, Sheldon rejected his addendum requests?  Now Sheldon is willing to compromise, based on Penny's suggestion?  Also, Penny stands up for Howard, but not for Leonard?  In addition, Penny cares more about what turns Sheldon on rather than acknowledging or defending her own husband.  Penny doesn't love or respect Leonard and should have never married him.  She harbors resentment for quitting acting even though it was her choice.  

The Raj-Claire-Emily relationship triangle is a microcosm or the macrocosm of the Sheldon-Penny-Amy relationship triangle.  Sheldon and Amy still have discord and their communication problems are just as bad as before the breakup and reconciliation.  

Yet, Penny and Sheldon are popular characters portrayed as victims because Leonard physically cheated and Amy dumped Sheldon. 

The emotional affair and lack of boundaries between Sheldon and Penny though is far worse than physical cheating or breaking someone's heart because it robs the intimacy that should be shared with their respective significant others.  Sheldon and Penny only express interest in their partners when they are jealous of someone else expressing interest (i.e. Alex, Leslie, Stuart, Priya, Dave), but once that threat is gone, they go back to being dismissive and derogatory.

What would the plot lines be if Amy and Leonard were written out of the show and Sheldon and Penny didn't have whipping posts?

Potential Series Finale Spoiler Alert:  Penny and Leonard will get divorced (hence why the wedding was so crappy) and Sheldon will propose to Penny (Bachelor style) rather than Amy.

The show should have ended three seasons ago when it was still funny, and done a spin-off if this is the direction they wanted to go.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 910 said:

When Raj requested respect while working with (or "for") Sheldon in season 3, episode 4, Sheldon rejected his addendum requests?  Now Sheldon is willing to compromise, based on Penny's suggestion?  Also, Penny stands up for Howard, but not for Leonard?  In addition, Penny cares more about what turns Sheldon on rather than acknowledging or defending her own husband.  Penny doesn't love or respect Leonard and should have never married him.  She harbors resentment for quitting acting even though it was her choice.  

The Raj-Claire-Emily relationship triangle is a microcosm or the macrocosm of the Sheldon-Penny-Amy relationship triangle.  Sheldon and Amy still have discord and their communication problems are just as bad as before the breakup and reconciliation.  

Yet, Penny and Sheldon are popular characters portrayed as victims because Leonard physically cheated and Amy dumped Sheldon. 

The emotional affair and lack of boundaries between Sheldon and Penny though is far worse than physical cheating or breaking someone's heart because it robs the intimacy that should be shared with their respective significant others.  Sheldon and Penny only express interest in their partners when they are jealous of someone else expressing interest (i.e. Alex, Leslie, Stuart, Priya, Dave), but once that threat is gone, they go back to being dismissive and derogatory.

What would the plot lines be if Amy and Leonard were written out of the show and Sheldon and Penny didn't have whipping posts?

Potential Series Finale Spoiler Alert:  Penny and Leonard will get divorced (hence why the wedding was so crappy) and Sheldon will propose to Penny (Bachelor style) rather than Amy.

The show should have ended three seasons ago when it was still funny, and done a spin-off if this is the direction they wanted to go.

I'm not even sure we're on the same channel, let alone watching the same show. 

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

Bingo!   See the problem is...in early Seasons, Penny had Sheldon to snark at and poke fun at, etc. and she was sweeter to Leonard most of the time.   But after Season 6 when they decided to "bond" Sheldon and Penny, she now takes all her snark out on Leonard, who she is supposed to be in love with.   It just doesn't make sense and thus is hard to swallow watching her week after week demean him and yet be sweet to Sheldon.   I really would love to see that change back to what it used to be....where Sheldon and Penny were on different planets most of the time and she used her snark on him.   But more important, it was a time when Leonard and Penny actually had story that didn't always include or evolve around Sheldon.   The writers wrote themselves into a corner once they started this bonded friendship with Sheldon.   Now they don't know how to write Lenny without it having a mean tone to it.   It is very frustrating.

• Like 8

On 11.3.2016 at 7:18 PM, 910 said:

Don’t you know there’s a fan fiction sector here? :shy:

Edited by veejay
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, legacy99 said:

I guess we should just be happy that penny didn't take Sheldon's side. It wouldn't have surprised me

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Only because she didn't have the time-...Amy was quick in her response to Bernadette :D I'm kiddin'...

About Emily. I never liked her with Raj. But I hate what they're doing with her character. Once again it's clear that the writers are men. Sigh

I really enjoyed the episode, both the patent/contract story and the Raj/Emily story.

I think the scene in Penny's apartment was hilarious, especially all the whispering conference during the phone call.  I was a little surprised that Emily would be so upset, BUT, we haven't really seen that side of her.  She's smart and confident, but she was also looking for guys on a dating site when she met Raj.  And she responded to his profile, so she obviously saw something in him to begin with.  She also was willing to give him a second chance when he blew that first meeting.  She also seemed to really enjoy his company and quickly felt that she wanted to be exclusive with him.  And in that moment, she did admit that she would have felt bad if she had seen him with another girl.

Anyway, I didn't get the sense that she was trying to manipulate him, but that she was really upset and wanted to talk to him.  The fact that they ended up in bed together seems to me to show that he was still weak when it comes to her, and that he wasn't angry with her when it came to why he broke up with her in the first place.

If her "darker" side is too much for him, it may not be the actual deal-breaker he thinks it is.

Claire is a question mark.  She does seem to be just as strong as Emily in the sense that she's confident and seems to know herself, but she doesn't really know Raj the way Emily does.  Emily may not have everything in common with Raj, but at least she's known him longer than Claire has.  Claire and Raj have had coffee once and maybe contemplated dating?

Raj is easily intrigued by pretty girls and his ambivalence toward Emily, while something to be considered, means that he's more susceptible to considering something new.

IMO, his going back and forth between Emily and Claire is somehow more honest than Leonard's dalliance with the girl from the Comic Book Store.  He tells Penny on the one hand that he and Priya are in love and might get married, but on the other hand, he tries to justify sleeping with the other girl.  Even when he feels compelled to confess that he has a girlfriend, he still wants to stick around and make out and is a little upset with himself for being the "good guy".

But Raj did actually break up with Emily in anticipation of dating Claire.  The fact that they all had bad timing was a complication, but it was mostly above board.

I think that the R/E/C triangle is a matter of Raj having to decide what it is he wants and the pros and cons of the two girls.

Maybe Emily and Claire need to have a mud-wrestling contest..

For the Patent dilemma, I liked the way they worked through the intellectual property issue with the guys finally deciding to split whatever they got with Howard.

I think it was important to have the "previously on TBBT" because this is a continuation of the idea that came up two episodes ago and was not mentioned in the last episode.  And since coming up with a money-making idea for Howard was the point of that episode, it makes sense that they should be dealing with how the idea may or may not make money for Howard.

As for the scene with the girls supporting their men, I think that Bernie and Amy commenting on the idea was appropriate, but I don't know that Penny would even know what to say in regard to the project.  I don't think it was a matter of her not "standing up for her man", but perhaps Bernie and Amy kind of competing, as they have before, in regard to Howard and Sheldon.

At any rate, I think it was a well-balanced, funny episode and I enjoyed it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 5Mississippis said:

I have to disagree with my fellow Lennys. No one was really bothered by 'old school' Penny biting her thumb. I was. Bernadette stood up for Howard by saying 'the whole thing was your idea', to which Amy stood up for Sheldon by chiming in by pointing out 'that Howard's idea was based on Sheldon's math.' Bernadette supported Howard, Amy supported Sheldon, and Penny ... bit her thumb. Thank goodness Leonard reminded the group that they all had a share in this: Howard's invention, Sheldon's math, and Leonard's original theory. Thanks, Penny.

Instead of biting her nails Penny should have said: "Leonard is involved in the idea too. He came up with the theory that space time is like a super cold liquid."

OK, that would have been funny too. Leonard would have been stunned by all means. :icon_cheesygrin:

• Like 5