918 'The Application Deterioration' (March 10)

Tripper

33 minutes ago, 910 said:

When Raj requested respect while working with (or "for") Sheldon in season 3, episode 4, Sheldon rejected his addendum requests?  Now Sheldon is willing to compromise, based on Penny's suggestion?  Also, Penny stands up for Howard, but not for Leonard?  In addition, Penny cares more about what turns Sheldon on rather than acknowledging or defending her own husband.  Penny doesn't love or respect Leonard and should have never married him.  She harbors resentment for quitting acting even though it was her choice.  

The Raj-Claire-Emily relationship triangle is a microcosm or the macrocosm of the Sheldon-Penny-Amy relationship triangle.  Sheldon and Amy still have discord and their communication problems are just as bad as before the breakup and reconciliation.  

Yet, Penny and Sheldon are popular characters portrayed as victims because Leonard physically cheated and Amy dumped Sheldon. 

The emotional affair and lack of boundaries between Sheldon and Penny though is far worse than physical cheating or breaking someone's heart because it robs the intimacy that should be shared with their respective significant others.  Sheldon and Penny only express interest in their partners when they are jealous of someone else expressing interest (i.e. Alex, Leslie, Stuart, Priya, Dave), but once that threat is gone, they go back to being dismissive and derogatory.

What would the plot lines be if Amy and Leonard were written out of the show and Sheldon and Penny didn't have whipping posts?

Potential Series Finale Spoiler Alert:  Penny and Leonard will get divorced (hence why the wedding was so crappy) and Sheldon will propose to Penny (Bachelor style) rather than Amy.

The show should have ended three seasons ago when it was still funny, and done a spin-off if this is the direction they wanted to go.

I don't know if it's worse tbh. But it's true that Sheldon and Penny have a very similar way of dealing with emotions and romantic stuff. Maybe that's why they are comfortable with each other.

3 hours ago, stardustmelody said:

Bingo!   See the problem is...in early Seasons, Penny had Sheldon to snark at and poke fun at, etc. and she was sweeter to Leonard most of the time.   But after Season 6 when they decided to "bond" Sheldon and Penny, she now takes all her snark out on Leonard, who she is supposed to be in love with.   It just doesn't make sense and thus is hard to swallow watching her week after week demean him and yet be sweet to Sheldon.   I really would love to see that change back to what it used to be....where Sheldon and Penny were on different planets most of the time and she used her snark on him.   But more important, it was a time when Leonard and Penny actually had story that didn't always include or evolve around Sheldon.   The writers wrote themselves into a corner once they started this bonded friendship with Sheldon.   Now they don't know how to write Lenny without it having a mean tone to it.   It is very frustrating.

You know after reading this comment, I have to agree 100%.  Penny's snark has been redirected from Sheldon to Leonard.  Instead of Penny threatening to shove her boot up his ass, now Penny feels sorry for him and tells Leonard we need to live with Sheldon so he isn't sad.  Can you imagine seasons 1-3 Penny saying that?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, SRAM said:

You know after reading this comment, I have to agree 100%.  Penny's snark has been redirected from Sheldon to Leonard.  Instead of Penny threatening to shove her boot up his ass, now Penny feels sorry for him and tells Leonard we need to live with Sheldon so he isn't sad.  Can you imagine seasons 1-3 Penny saying that?

Not at all...exactly my point.  Once they bonded them in S6, the entire flavor of the show and dynamic changed.  

Also what changed is it became focused much more on relationships in general rather than situational comedy which the first few seasons focused on.    I would love to see them bring back a lot more of the situational comedy aspect revolving around experiments, science and even their superhero/comic book hobbies.   

My husband and I were talking about this.   What made past shows great and have longevity was the situational stuff because otherwise what you find is what we are experiencing with BBT....a lot of repetitive jokes (Amy's desperation for affection, Penny demeaning Leonard, Howard's "Engineer" status, etc.) that become over time mean and start to grate on your nerves.   It is because they have lost the art of the situational comedy where the circumstances they get themselves into make it funny...not the pounding on each other.    

There is nothing wrong with developing the relationships along the way, as long as you also have the situational stuff to keep it light hearted and lose the mean tone.   

But the focus on Sheldon/Penny bond has really dampened the show because it turned to a mean tone starting that season.   You saw Sheldon be terribly mean to Amy that season which was such an about face from before.   We saw Penny start to be mean to Leonard, etc.   It became a turning point where Penny cared about and showed more affection to Sheldon than Leonard and Sheldon seemed to loved to be babied by her.   He used to not like being babied before that (other than when sick).

I really wish the writers would bring back some of what made them get to the sixth season in the first place in the show - more lighthearted situational comedy, Penny and Sheldon two planets that don't seem to understand or care to understand each other and Penny much more focused on who she wants to be in life and loving Leonard and finding all his good qualities; and Sheldon and Amy wanting to be overlords and experimenting and causing havoc to the others.   I miss those dynamics.   I like that they are bonded as friends on the show...that is great...but not at the expense of what made it unique and fun in the past and certainly not with the negative and mean tone it can get many times and with the repetition of stale "jokes".

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, stardustmelody said:

Not at all...exactly my point.  Once they bonded them in S6, the entire flavor of the show and dynamic changed.  

Also what changed is it became focused much more on relationships in general rather than situational comedy which the first few seasons focused on.    I would love to see them bring back a lot more of the situational comedy aspect revolving around experiments, science and even their superhero/comic book hobbies.   

My husband and I were talking about this.   What made past shows great and have longevity was the situational stuff because otherwise what you find is what we are experiencing with BBT....a lot of repetitive jokes (Amy's desperation for affection, Penny demeaning Leonard, Howard's "Engineer" status, etc.) that become over time mean and start to grate on your nerves.   It is because they have lost the art of the situational comedy where the circumstances they get themselves into make it funny...not the pounding on each other.    

There is nothing wrong with developing the relationships along the way, as long as you also have the situational stuff to keep it light hearted and lose the mean tone.   

But the focus on Sheldon/Penny bond has really dampened the show because it turned to a mean tone starting that season.   You saw Sheldon be terribly mean to Amy that season which was such an about face from before.   We saw Penny start to be mean to Leonard, etc.   It became a turning point where Penny cared about and showed more affection to Sheldon than Leonard and Sheldon seemed to loved to be babied by her.   He used to not like being babied before that (other than when sick).

I really wish the writers would bring back some of what made them get to the sixth season in the first place in the show - more lighthearted situational comedy, Penny and Sheldon two planets that don't seem to understand or care to understand each other and Penny much more focused on who she wants to be in life and loving Leonard and finding all his good qualities; and Sheldon and Amy wanting to be overlords and experimenting and causing havoc to the others.   I miss those dynamics.   I like that they are bonded as friends on the show...that is great...but not at the expense of what made it unique and fun in the past and certainly not with the negative and mean tone it can get many times and with the repetition of stale "jokes".

I think that if Sheldon and Penny continued to interact now like they did 6 years ago "that" would have got stale too. Their relationship was bound to change like any other in the show.

I remember Sheldon making some rude comments towards Amy in season 6 but I never connected them with S and P's friendship. I can't agree with you on that. 

I agree though that we should see more of the whole "Sheldon and Amy and their benign overlord children" thing. They seem to have forgotten that completely.

• Like 2

Remember, with our recent rules update, keep your opinions and comments directed toward the show.  Not derogatory or negative comments about other posters posts or opinions. A couple of posts have been edited.   

I did not find the tag scene funny at all.

Something does not add up. Perhaps Emily and Claire are in cahoots to get at Raj's families money? The Sting.

Probably not.

I think Laura Spenser is fine. I don't like the way Emily is written..

• Like 1

enjoyed the episode. vg+

like how the girls help raj, and the guys worked on

the patent, then they all came together in 4a to talk

about it. sheldon can be a ass at times, but that was sweet

of him to do for h/b. felt like they are growing up.

it is funny that raj did not want to date emily, bc he was still going

to see lucy, now the douche is a player try to date both emily and clair

at the same time. 

• Like 2

Since Howard is not technically an employee of the University, why don't the boys just have him apply for the patent solely? Then draw up a contract that Howard will share profits with them? This would avoid the 75% that the University would take. Am I missing something...?

I thought it was a good episode that included the whole cast reading thru the partnership contract and I am really worried about Raj I am afraid he might go missing in the season finale and Emily will be the prime suspect in the disappearance I may be overthinking this after all this is BBT not Criminal Minds

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Earnie said:

I thought it was a good episode that included the whole cast reading thru the partnership contract and I am really worried about Raj I am afraid he might go missing in the season finale and Emily will be the prime suspect in the disappearance I may be overthinking this after all this is BBT not Criminal Minds

How can one not overthink this. We have not known what is really up with Emily since the mystery of her closet surfaced. Then getting on in a graveyard. 

Does she have a unique sense of humor or is she a practitioner of human sacrifice? Or both?

Aside: Reminds me of the book cover of  Dungeons & Dragons Supplement III: Eldritch Wizardry, Ancient and Powerful Magic 1976

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, EarthFire said:

Since Howard is not technically an employee of the University.

I thought he was employed by Caltech?

From The Friendship Turbulence:-

Sheldon: Are you sure? We were making fun of failed careers. We didn’t get to tap the juicy vein that is Howard’s.

Howard: Hey, I work at the same university you do.

Sheldon: Yes, and Hawkeye’s in the Avengers, but no one ever says help, Hawkeye.

While we are on the subject, why weren't they also worried, about Caltech taking a chunk of their profits, when they were working on the  differential equations solving app?

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

While we are on the subject, why weren't they also worried, about Caltech taking a chunk of their profits, when they were working on the  differential equations solving app?

Perhaps it was because they worked on that on their own time and did not require university resources. Also it was a phone app and they don't do phone apps for the university..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nogravitasatall said:

This was unfunny and cringeworthy. St Sheldon the Benevolent now?  What dross. And Raj is 10 day old stalk of celery. I want my money back from iTunes.

Wow, that was stipulate clearly and precisely, thanks. :shy:

On 3/12/2016 at 10:58 PM, djsurrey said:

How can one not overthink this. We have not known what is really up with Emily since the mystery of her closet surfaced. Then getting on in a graveyard. 

Does she have a unique sense of humor or is she a practitioner of human sacrifice? Or both?

Aside: Reminds me of the book cover of  Dungeons & Dragons Supplement III: Eldritch Wizardry, Ancient and Powerful Magic 1976

A D&D link worked perfectly into the conversation.... BRAVO!

tumblr_mv932ruAbC1qasxjlo1_500.gif

• Like 1

Raj's story was a complete downer....

And again Sheldon gets all the good stuff... and ofcourse is  the only one who gives money to howard's baby....... why make others look good at all......

and of course penny does not give a crap about supporting her husband...... look at amy and bernie and look at penny...... we can tell how much they *love* their partners......

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:50 AM, EarthFire said:

Since Howard is not technically an employee of the University, why don't the boys just have him apply for the patent solely? Then draw up a contract that Howard will share profits with them? This would avoid the 75% that the University would take. Am I missing something...?

Probably because of the relationship of Howard's idea to Sheldon/Leonard's work?

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:45 AM, mjc45 said:

enjoyed the episode. vg+

like how the girls help raj, and the guys worked on

the patent, then they all came together in 4a to talk

about it. sheldon can be a ass at times, but that was sweet

of him to do for h/b. felt like they are growing up.

it is funny that raj did not want to date emily, bc he was still going

to see lucy, now the douche is a player try to date both emily and clair

at the same time. 

I don't think he was trying to date Emily and Claire at the same time at all.  He broke up with Emily because he wanted to date Claire after their initial meeting.  But when Claire became unavailable, he tried to go back to Emily.

So at the beginning of the episode, he was not with either of them.

Then Emily gives him the present she had been planning to give him for Valentine's Day, and wants to at least be friends.  He's not sure, but he initially decides to go and visit her, but it's while he's on the way there that Claire calls him up with her offer.  So he's going back and forth between the two girls, as to whether or not he will see one or the other that night.  He wasn't trying to date both of them, but felt sorry for Emily at first, then Claire was telling him that Emily was just manipulating him.

So, he wasn't committed to dating either of them at the time he ended up Emily.

• Like 1

I agree with stardustmelody, and I try to use constructive criticism when saying this. The tone of the show changed somewhere during season 6. I also know that some dynamic changes took place in the writers' team during that time, but I really don't want to point the finger to any direction. I know the different writers emphasize different stuff. It just comes off like they don't think it properly through if the episodes make sense or not anymore.

At the point there are so many things that doesn't make sense anymore in the show, that it is very hard for me to watch it. It is just an example, how they handled Raj's and Emily's breakup in these recent episodes.

Edited by Catlina
  • Like 2

I've just watched the episode for the first time, and all I have to say is... Raj, you're a f**king asshole!!!

And he's one of my fav characters.

Yes, I love him but he's been fucking stupid and weak.

Both characteristics I hate.

On March 10, 2016 at 1:18 PM, 910 said:

Now Sheldon is willing to compromise, based on Penny's suggestion?

Sheldon compromised for Amy by having coitus with her, time and his friends have softened him. Remember last season he was willing to listen to music in the car?  Perspective.

Also, Penny stands up for Howard, but not for Leonard?

He has a doctorate. And Leonard didn't have his contributions dismissed by Sheldon here.

Sheldon and Amy still have discord and their communication problems are just as bad as before the breakup and reconciliation.

Shamy having discord=/= bad relationship necessarily.

Yet, Penny and Sheldon are popular characters portrayed as victims because Leonard physically cheated and Amy dumped Sheldon.

How was Amy not shown as a victim when putting up with Sheldon's crap? 

The emotional affair and lack of boundaries between Sheldon and Penny though is far worse than physical cheating or breaking someone's heart because it robs the intimacy that should be shared with their respective significant others.  Sheldon and Penny only express interest in their partners when they are jealous of someone else expressing interest (i.e. Alex, Leslie, Stuart, Priya, Dave), but once that threat is gone, they go back to being dismissive and derogatory.

And Sheldon has been the butt-end of just as many of her jokes, if not more.

Edited by Tensor
Post edited to comply with recent rules update.

On March 16, 2016 at 8:07 PM, vasu said:

and of course penny does not give a crap about supporting her husband......

What support did Leonard need in this story?

On March 10, 2016 at 5:13 PM, stardustmelody said:

It became a turning point where Penny cared about and showed more affection to Sheldon than Leonard

In what ways has Penny shown more affection to Sheldon, than Leonard?  Has she made barbs at Leonard's expense, of course she has.  But she has done the same thing towards Sheldon as well.  I didn't see Penny writing with a black marker on Leonard like she did Sheldon.  I didn't see her buying Sheldon an RC helicopter like Leonard, because she didn't like seeing him sad.  

Edited by Tensor
Edited to comply with the recent rules update.

48 minutes ago, meka3000 said:

What support did Leonard NEED in this story?

In what ways has Penny shown more affection to Sheldon, than Leonard?  Has she made barbs at Leonard's expense, of course she has.  But she has done the same thing towards Sheldon as well.  I didn't see Penny writing with a black marker on Leonard like she did Sheldon.  I didn't see her buying Sheldon an RC helicopter like Leonard, because she didn't like seeing him sad.  

I will turn it around...when has Penny coddled Leonard?  When has she volunteered to sit with him and miss out on a party just to make him feel better?  When has she ever taken Leonard's side on anything?   Even when the others were standing up for their SO's about the contract, she totally was tuned out and never bothered to support Leonard.   

I will agree that she can be obnoxious to Sheldon as well...but if you were to keep a scorecard between the two, I would bet it is at least three to one times that she is obnoxious to Leonard over Sheldon.   I do think she realizes Sheldon has been treated poorly his whole life and isn't as equipped perhaps as Leonard and that may play into it...but she also truly does seem to coddle Sheldon and treat him as if he is fragile and needs special affection.   I know she isn't interested in him physically at all....but she has an emotional connection to him that is pretty strong that she doesn't show she has to her own husband.  It would be nice to see her have a special place for Leonard show through far more than comes across.   It would be nice to see her emotional connection to him as well as the physical because it seems pretty thin right now.

• Like 1