Shenny Friendship: Where Did It Go?

This isn’t about shipping, not at all. I’m actually curious as to where the Shenny friendship went to this season? It seems like TPTB are not capable of having Sheldon and Penny be friends or interact anymore, with their romantic relationships taking up all their time. Which isn’t realistic at all, people have best friends of the opposite sex and still have romantic relationships with other people. And instead of having moments between them, or scenes where they’re shopping, or hanging out etc etc..., we have to sit through these “Girls Nights” and the boys not really doing anything of importance.

It is very frustrating because I really do enjoy Shenny as friends, it doesn’t have to be more (made clearer every episode… and I get it, I can hope but oh well.) their interactions were always so real and fulfilling, and they were never trying to get anything out of the other person. They were just friends. There for each other.

Anyway, I looked around and didn’t see anything about his on here, and there seem to be a lot of folks on here, so I thought I’d ask.

This isn’t attacking the canon ships; this is about a friendship that I am missing on the show.

Hopefully S10 will bring it back.

• Like 7

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay but who are these critics exactly? Because every single reviewer for the show I follow has their head so far up Shamy's ass they're almost bigger shippers than we are. (Almost only, because, come

Tell that to Mayim, Kaley and Simon's Critics Choice Awards. Shennyland, that place where reality keeps eluding you no matter the topic.

I don't think Shedon and Penny are best friends. I mean they don't really understand each other most of the time. The reason people like to see them together is that due to their personality differenc

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, QueenofSheba said:

This isn’t about shipping, not at all. I’m actually curious as to where the Shenny friendship went to this season? It seems like TPTB are not capable of having Sheldon and Penny be friends or interact anymore, with their romantic relationships taking up all their time. Which isn’t realistic at all, people have best friends of the opposite sex and still have romantic relationships with other people. And instead of having moments between them, or scenes where they’re shopping, or hanging out etc etc..., we have to sit through these “Girls Nights” and the boys not really doing anything of importance.

It is very frustrating because I really do enjoy Shenny as friends, it doesn’t have to be more (made clearer every episode… and I get it, I can hope but oh well.) their interactions were always so real and fulfilling, and they were never trying to get anything out of the other person. They were just friends. There for each other.

Anyway, I looked around and didn’t see anything about his on here, and there seem to be a lot of folks on here, so I thought I’d ask.

This isn’t attacking the canon ships; this is about a friendship that I am missing on the show.

Did you miss the 200th episode?  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kathy2611 said:

Did you miss the 200th episode?  

I did see it. And it was amazing. And it made me sad and miss them even more because they had scenes and moments like that.But that's all anyone who likes their friendship gets? a total of maybe 5 minutes out of 24 episodes?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, QueenofSheba said:

Their friendship is still there, like in the 200th episode, but yeah I'd like to see more as well.

26 minutes ago, QueenofSheba said:

I did see it. And it was amazing. And it made me sad and miss them even more because they had scenes and moments like that.But that's all anyone who likes their friendship gets? a total of maybe 5 minutes out of 24 episodes?

You want to take a guess how much time those who like Leonard and Penny together get?  And worse, the quality of that time?

• Like 3

Maybe it's more of tptb not being capable of balancing all the relationships on the show. Also shenny friendship and Lenny have nothing to do with each other. If Sheldon can have scenes with Bernie alone. He can have scenes with Penny alone. Same with Penny having all these scenes with the "Girls Nights" when she could also have them with Sheldon (girls night and normal scenes lol.) also! The count of Lenny vs shenny fiendship scenes isn't even equal! Lenny has had so many more scenes! 

The show focuses too hard on the ships and not enough on the friendships and the individuals. Hopefully this will be remedied in S10. 

Balance is so important. 

50 minutes ago, QueenofSheba said:

Who needs friendship on the show? (Sarcasm) when you have (bad or not exciting imo of course) couples all the time on screen.

Edited by Cindi May
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cindi May said:

Who needs friendship on the show? (Sarcasm) when you have (bad or not exciting imo of course) couples all the time on screen.

I think it is almost mostly sheldon and his issues on screen most of the times.......... not relationships or friendship or whatever else....

Edited by vasu
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, vasu said:

I think it is almost mostly sheldon and his issues on screen most of the times.......... not relationships or friendship or whatever else....

A LOT of Amy.... So much Amy. Sheldon's used as the shows punchline/punching bag. (As a massive Sheldon fan that bothers me a lot.) 

but we're getting away from the issue: which is how come tptb don't think shenny friendship can co-exist with everything else???

like it once did. What changed? Even S7 was better at the balance. S9 has gotten really bad on multiple fronts. 

• Like 2

Just now, QueenofSheba said:

A LOT of Amy.... So much Amy. Sheldon's used as the shows punchline/punching bag. (As a massive Sheldon fan that bothers me a lot.) 

but we're getting away from the issue: which is how come tptb don't think shenny friendship can co-exist with everything else???

like it once did. What changed? Even S7 was better at the balance. S9 has gotten really bad on multiple fronts. 

lot of amy.... i don't think so.......almost the entire first half was about how sheldon reacted to his break up with amy..........and very little about how amy was feeling......

I am not getting away for the issue..... the point i am trying to make is shenny friendship is not the only thing which is not being shown......... everything else apart from sheldon is not being shown.......

this show has become sheldon and and his minions show...

just see the 200th episode.......

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vasu said:
5 minutes ago, vasu said:

His issues this season are actually Amy's issues, all the steps necessary for being the man of her dreams.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cindi May said:

His issues this season are actually Amy's issues, all the steps necessary for being the man of her dreams.

no  they were his issues... because he was the one who wanted amy back....he was the one who pestered her continusouly about getting back ...... 

he wanted to become the man amy dreamt of..... hardly amy's fault........

I know the show always implies that it is amy's fault for breaking up sheldon..... but the story they showed initially failed to convince me in that regards.....

Edited by vasu

22 minutes ago, QueenofSheba said:

Maybe it's more of tptb not being capable of balancing all the relationships on the show. Also shenny friendship and Lenny have nothing to do with each other. If Sheldon can have scenes with Bernie alone. He can have scenes with Penny alone. Same with Penny having all these scenes with the "Girls Nights" when she could also have them with Sheldon (girls night and normal scenes lol.) also!

Yeah, and Penny could be having more scenes with Leonard.  

The count of Lenny vs shenny fiendship scenes isn't even equal! Lenny has had so many more scenes! 

Are you aware that Sheldon and Penny had more time on screen together as a couple in season eight, then Leonard and Penny had (yes, it's been timed)?  I'm of the opinion that Lenny vs Shenny shouldn't be anywhere near equal, Leonard and Penny are married after all.

The show focuses too hard on the ships and not enough on the friendships and the individuals. Hopefully this will be remedied in S10. 

Balance is so important. 

You're right, balance is important.  The balance is thrown off by the seeming requirement to make almost every show about Sheldon somehow.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vasu said:

lot of amy.... i don't think so.......almost the entire first half was about how sheldon reacted to his break up with amy..........and very little about how amy was feeling......

I am not getting away for the issue..... the point i am trying to make is shenny friendship is not the only thing which is not being shown......... everything else apart from sheldon is not being shown.......

this show has become sheldon and and his minions show...

just see the 200th episode.......

There wouldn't be a show without Sheldon. That's just it. The 200th was a celebration of that. And having the shenny friendship scene was a nod to that as well. Because their moments were important. They were the heart of the show before all this stuff started to happen. 

They can exist and Sheldon can still be with Amy. (Penny can be with Leonard)

but that aside. You don't have to like Sheldon, that's fine. I am a fan of his and TBH I've been really upset with what he's been turned into.

(and what Penny's become)  

• Like 1

Just now, QueenofSheba said:

There wouldn't be a show without Sheldon.

Neither would there be a show without Leonard, Howard, Raj.  Nor would it have hit the heights it hit without Amy and Bernadette.  No, the heart of the show has always been Leonard and Sheldon.  

• Like 9

It's clear this post is turning into the "lets bash Sheldon non stop and ignore that I was trying to start a convesation about the lacking shenny friendship... Post" 

im not here for the Sheldon hate, and also why does this conversation about one thing have to be turned into a conversion about 50 other things that have nothing to do with the topic?

i didn't write this to talk about the lack of Lenny, or how terrible Sheldon apparently is (giving into Amy's every demand... Do awful.)

I wanted to talk about the shenny friendship. A very important part of the show. And how it's been lacking in S9 (not talking S8) 

anyway... 

12 minutes ago, QueenofSheba said:

There wouldn't be a show without Sheldon. That's just it. The 200th was a celebration of that. And having the shenny friendship scene was a nod to that as well. Because their moments were important. They were the heart of the show before all this stuff started to happen. 

but that aside. You don't have to like Sheldon, that's fine. I am a fan of his and TBH I've been really upset with what he's been turned into.

I always thought that Leonard and Sheldon scenes, Penny and Sheldon scenes and Wolowitz and Raj scenes were the heart of this show. I don't like what they did with Penny and Sheldon's characters too.

10 minutes ago, Tensor said:

Neither would there be a show without Leonard, Howard, Raj.  Nor would it have hit the heights it hit without Amy and Bernadette.  No, the heart of the show has always been Leonard and Sheldon.  

I can agree about Leonard and Sheldon bein'the heart but I definitely disagree about Amy and Bernie. I love Melissa as an actress but since their arrival the show started to lose a lot of critical praise because let's be honest it started his decline after their arrival and it got worse when they became main cast.

Edited by Cindi May
  • Like 3

I always thought that Leonard and Sheldon scenes, Penny and Sheldon scenes and Wolowitz and Raj scenes were the heart of this show. I don't like what they did with Penny and Sheldon's characters too.

Yes!! Yes! Yes! 

3 minutes ago, Cindi May said:

I can agree about Leonard and Sheldon bein'the hear but I definitely disagree about Amy and Bernie. I love Melissa as an actress but since their arrival the show started to lose a lot of critical praise.

I suggest you look at the ratings, that is the true measure.  Shows are kept on based on their profitability.  A show can have all sorts of critical praise, but if it doesn't have the ratings, it isn't going to stay on the air, because it isn't bringing in money (see Freaks and Geeks for an example).   The highest relative ratings for the show have been seasons 5,6,7,8, and so far nine.  For the previous three years, it's brough in the highest 30 second ad rate for non-sports programming.  This year, it's the second highest and the highest comedy.    And Mayim has been nominated for three Emmy's, so what do you base critical praise on?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, QueenofSheba said:

I am really concerned about what Pennys become, she use to be very much in love with Leonard, and they would have their own scenes, now her along with Leonard have become Sheldon minions.

i wish she go back to old Penny who wanted to put her foot up Sheldon's ass when he broke into her apartment, told him he could kiss her Barbie, threatened to mark up his comic books if he didn't do a party for Leonard, dumped him on the streets of Pasadena when he would shut up from aggravating her, coined the phase wack-a-doodle because she though he was crazy, had sex in his spot, etc., etc., etc.. I really miss that old Penny not this shadow of a woman who now just kisses Sheldon's ass. 

And to be technically correct there would be no show if it wasn't for Penny because the pilot, with Sheldon, was a flop.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, QueenofSheba said:

again I was telling the reason for not showing so much shenny friendship...

because the show's sole focus seems to be sheldon ... and not any other character.... as simple as that....

Edited by vasu

Okay we should really get back on topic gang. Talking about the shenny frienship. Everyone's all over the place and talking about all the other interactions (or apparent lack of them) and that's not okay. 

I wanted to start a conversation about shenny friendship (not see people attacking Sheldon) or tying to prove other stuff that has nothing to do with the shenny friendship. 

Can we have that conversation? Or does the shenny friendship just not exist to anyone here (save for one person...) 

I'm waiting... 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tensor said:

I suggest you look at the ratings, that is the true measure.  Shows are kept on based on their profitability.  A show can have all sorts of critical praise, but if it doesn't have the ratings, it isn't going to stay on the air, because it isn't bringing in money (see Freaks and Geeks for an example).   The highest relative ratings for the show have been seasons 5,6,7,8, and so far nine.  For the previous three years, it's brough in the highest 30 second ad rate for non-sports programming.  This year, it's the second highest and the highest comedy.    And Mayim has been nominated for three Emmy's, so what do you base critical praise on?

I suggest to look at general opinions on the show outside of the recent hardcore fans  and you will see what I mean.

Edited by Cindi May
  • Like 1

I suggest to look at general opinions on the show outside of the harcore fans and you will see what I mean.

I really don't think you understand what Tensor stated, he was referencing the general viewing fan base, the first three years were not the best years for the show, it became a blockbuster after those first few years.

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic