The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
QueenofSheba

Shenny Friendship: Where Did It Go?

46 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I am really concerned about what Pennys become, she use to be very much in love with Leonard, and they would have their own scenes, now her along with Leonard have become Sheldon minions.

i wish she go back to old Penny who wanted to put her foot up Sheldon's ass when he broke into her apartment, told him he could kiss her Barbie, threatened to mark up his comic books if he didn't do a party for Leonard, dumped him on the streets of Pasadena when he would shut up from aggravating her, coined the phase wack-a-doodle because she though he was crazy, had sex in his spot, etc., etc., etc.. I really miss that old Penny not this shadow of a woman who now just kisses Sheldon's ass. 

And to be technically correct there would be no show if it wasn't for Penny because the pilot, with Sheldon, was a flop.

You clearly hate Sheldon. Penny never hated Sheldon. ... If we want to start talking crap about characters... How about hoe Leonard can keep it in his pants? No? Okay... But he's a saint... Got it. Bc all the stuff you just said that "horrible" that Sheldon did never hurt anyone... 

Anyway! 

Penny and Sheldon have this amazing friendship. I don't care of YOU don't see it. 

Also they filmed two pilots, Sheldon was in both of them. What didn't work was the other actress... And that premise for the show. 

But please... Keep hating on Sheldon. I'll keep hating Leonard. 

And we're getting off topic! Look at that! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, QueenofSheba said:

It's clear this post is turning into the "lets bash Sheldon non stop and ignore that I was trying to start a convesation about the lacking shenny friendship... Post" 

im not here for the Sheldon hate, and also why does this conversation about one thing have to be turned into a conversion about 50 other things that have nothing to do with the topic?

i didn't write this to talk about the lack of Lenny, or how terrible Sheldon apparently is (giving into Amy's every demand... Do awful.)

I wanted to talk about the shenny friendship. A very important part of the show. And how it's been lacking in S9 (not talking S8) 

anyway... 

I think season 8 was a little better. Season 9 is the worst for them. 2 scenes in the entire season. I miss Wolowitz and Raj buddy scenes as well.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I really don't think you understand what Tensor stated, he was referencing the general viewing fan base, the first three years were not the best years for the show, it became a blockbuster after those first few years.

The show was better for the first few years. Syndication helped bring in more people for the later seasons... Just saying. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I really don't think you understand what Tensor stated, he was referencing the general viewing fan base, the first three years were not the best years for the show, it became a blockbuster after those first few years.

ok but that's not what I was saying in the first place. I wasn't talking about ratings.

• Like 1

News flash... You can't be best friends and brother and sister! More at 11... 

I thought we we could have a rational non crazy, coversation. Instead! We have a bunch of people who hate Sheldon.  Not fans who love Shamy and Lenny... And who think you can only be really good friends with someone who is the exact same as you.)

wow. 

34 minutes ago, QueenofSheba said:

You clearly hate Sheldon. Penny never hated Sheldon. And I'm actually really horrified at how you're reacting to him. Like wow! But okay... Whatever... If we want to start talking crap about characters... How about hoe Leonard can keep it in his pants? No? Okay... But he's a saint... Got it. Bc all the stuff you just said that "horrible" that Sheldon did never hurt anyone... 

Anyway! 

Penny and Sheldon have this amazing friendship. I don't care of YOU don't see it. 

Also they filmed two pilots, Sheldon was in both of them. What didn't work was the other actress... And that premise for the show. 

But please... Keep hating on Sheldon. I'll keep hating Leonard. 

And we're getting off topic! Look at that! 

If it wasn't for the new pilot with Kaley/Penny in it the show would have never got on TV as a series, so you can think that there would be no show without Sheldo/Parsons all you want but that still doesn't make it true.  All you can say about the Sheldon character and Parsons is that he contributed to the success of the show, just like all the other characters/actors did, even Leonard, 

I personally think that Leonard contributed to the success of the show but at the same time not as much as Sheldon. But one thing, someone can hate a character. I see all the time people hating on Sheldon over here recently. What if someone hates Leonard? Or some other character?

Edited by Cindi May
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, QueenofSheba said:

I wanted to talk about the shenny friendship. A very important part of the show. And how it's been lacking in S9 (not talking S8) 

anyway... 

The biggest problem with having more Shenny scenes is, logically, why and how would TPTB do it?

A. Lenny are married and Shamy are on the road to same. Why would there be the need for frequent interactions between Penny and Sheldon?  Any more than having a reason for bi-weekly interaction between Amy and Leonard?

B. Penny and Sheldon were created as antagonist for the attention of Leonard. They are friends, as each has stated on several occasions, only because Leonard "made them". If this was real life, Lenny would have long been living on their own at Penny's insistence.

C. Since romance or sex between them is made impossible by the very characteristics given to their characters, TPTB has settled on their interaction as being: fabricated family members (mother/son or sister/brother) or Master/pet. Either way this is sometimes suggested and it comes off as creepy. They never come off as equals in their friend ship. Penny either says something about his being a big baby or the family dog. Sheldon will make some comment about Penny being stupid as a gorilla or a moral reprobate (You Tramp!!) TPTB seldom ever seem capable of them being just a couple of people with something in common enjoying each others company.

Shenny scenes showing them at odds over Leonard are always fun since that is the setup since the pilot. That makes up the bulk of Shenny over 9 seasons (with some pleasant exceptions). But the writers/producers don't seem able to write much more than that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Cindi May said:

I suggest to look at general opinions on the show outside of the hardcore fans and you will see what I mean.

You can't quantify general opinions.  I read a lot about the show outside of this forum and opinions of the general fan base are split.   I am heavily involved in ratings, ad rates, demographics etc.  General opinions do not keep a show on the air, general opinions do not sell air time, general opinions do not make the network or the studios or the cast money.  That is all based on ratings, and this show is a monster.  It has the high 18-49 demo and the viewers.  That is hitting heights.  Again, look at Freaks and Geeks.  A critical darling, but nothing more than a failed one year show.   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hey if y'all wanna support a tiny little man who cheats on the woman he "loves" and does all sorts of other creepy "nice guy" things! Be my guest! You're clearly not the only ones! 

And if you want to hate on Sheldon and not see him as the loyal awesome man that he is *cough* Jim's been the only one to win award on the show *cough* 

and you know! You clearly want Penny to just be Leonard lap dog! But you know!? Fine! 

And I won't get into what I think about Amy... 

Cindi May! You're cool I like you!

Anyway... good night, and if there's an apocalypse, good luck.

*waves*   

• Like 2

I've edited posts to remove comments made about posters.  Remember, keep it about the show, not about the other posters.  QueenofSheba, you made claims about lack of screen time for Shenny and that's fine.  But others gave examples of others who were shortchanged.  If you had wanted to discuss Sheldon and Penny without debate, you would have been better off in the Other Ships thread.  That is a Shipping Zone and has special rules.  

31 minutes ago, QueenofSheba said:
33 minutes ago, QueenofSheba said:

Hey if y'all wanna support a tiny little man who cheats on the woman he "loves" and does all sorts of other creepy "nice guy" things! Be my guest! You're clearly not the only ones! 

And if you want to hate on Sheldon and not see him as the loyal awesome man that he is *cough* Jim's been the only one to win award on the show *cough* 

and you know! You clearly want Penny to just be Leonard lap dog! But you know!? Fine! 

*waves*   

Thanks... It's cool to hear different opinions. I hope to hear more from you.

49 minutes ago, QueenofSheba said:

*waves*   

BTW, Penny loves Leonard, always has, how many times in the show does she have to say 'you (Sheldon) are not the one' before it sinks in?

Also any woman who is with Sheldon is enslaved by him, they have to abide by his rules and do what he wants or he runs away, acts like a baby or dumps them.  He dumped a beautiful interesting woman beacause she was a minute late for the contest to date him.  Amy always kisses his ass, to be Sheldon's girlfriend being a lapdog is mandatory.  Penny controls the relationship with Leonard, always has, so saying she is Leonards lapdog is beyond absurd.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SRAM said:

Amy always kisses his ass, to be Sheldon's girlfriend being a lapdog is mandatory.  

I wouldn't go that far.  Amy can get her way and point across with Sheldon better than any of the other characters.  While Penny expresses frustration with Sheldon, she tends to give into him, especially in the last few years.  

• Like 5

Just now, Tensor said:

I wouldn't go that far.  Amy can get her way and point across with Sheldon better than any of the other characters.  While Penny expresses frustration with Sheldon, she tends to give into him, especially in the last few years.  

That is sort of what I mean, Penny and Sheldon had been getting along better because she gives in to him, she is becoming like Leonard and just doing what Sheldon wants to avoid conflict.  She does not act like that with Leonard, so if she is being more of a "lapdog" with anyone it is Sheldon not Leonard.

A lapdog is someone who is subservient to another, Pennys going along with Sheldon the last couple of seasons makes her fit that definition.

BTW I'm using this to make a point, I really don't think Penny is a lapdog.  

The bottom line is just that these writers absolutely do not know how to write well for all characters at the same time. It's the one thing they absolutely suck at and one of the reasons the show isn't as good as Friends, IMO. 

• Like 1

Leonard is Pennys best friend. Has been since pilot. She even said so in.her vows. "Your my best friend, and the love of my life". She even quoted Toy Story for him. Look op.I.understand your a fan of the dynamic. But you gotta understand things change. I personally have never considered Sheldon and PENNY Friends. Vicariously through Leonard sure. But now she's MARRIED shows just moved on. Definitely not best friends. More sibling maternal. Penny is like the parallel to Missy. The sister Sheldon NEVER had. But I think ppl tend to oversell or state the Sp dynamic. When in realty it's Lenny imo that orbits it all. Besides op you opened up  forum. For discussion. So dont badger ppl for simply stating an opinon. Unless YOUR one of those Sheldon apologists heh.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Leonard is Pennys best friend. Has been since pilot. She even said so in.her vows. "Your my best friend, and the love of my life". She even quoted Toy Story for him. Look op.I.understand your a fan of the dynamic. But you gotta understand things change. I personally have never considered Sheldon and PENNY Friends. Vicariously through Leonard sure. But now she's MARRIED shows just moved on. Definitely not best friends. More sibling maternal. Penny is like the parallel to Missy. The sister Sheldon NEVER had. But I think ppl tend to oversell or state the Sp dynamic. When in realty it's Lenny imo that orbits it all. Besides op you opened up  forum. For discussion. So dont badger ppl for simply stating an opinon. Unless YOUR one of those Sheldon apologists heh.

Used to love this friendship very much, even more than how much I ship Lenny and Shamy. I miss it too. And I miss the appreciation I had for Sheldon and Penny's dynamic...But because of all this overselling and bashing that results from such overselling, whenever there is a Shenny scene, tbh my reactions have gone down to "Oh what are these people gonna say now?" instead of "hahaha these two are so funny".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, becauseimsunny said:

Used to love this friendship very much, even more than how much I ship Lenny and Shamy. I miss it too. And I miss the appreciation I had for Sheldon and Penny's dynamic...But because of all this overselling and bashing that results from such overselling, whenever there is a Shenny scene, tbh my reactions have gone down to "Oh what are these people gonna say now?" instead of "hahaha these two are so funny".

Yes your me. I loved their cute innocent dynamic. Bk in 1 and 2. But fans have just ruined it. With all this twisting. And bashing. And consistent talk about things that don't exist lol. Its gone oh they are funny. To what is the forum going to open up now. Like a can of worms. Theirs no joy in.Their scenes. The pola opposites thing was funny. But now dynamics shifted. I just dread any taping with them. Thesw days when they have scenes. Its like watching nails on.a chalk board. Its Still.assexual. But its not fun.any more. Or light. Just a ton of weight.

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Cindi May said:

I suggest to look at general opinions on the show outside of the hardcore fans and you will see what I mean.

The 'general opinions' are the ratings. As to the general opinions on the show outside of the hardcore fans, there are independent reviews, critiques, news, features, and specials dedicated to the growth of the show. I suggest you look at that and you will see what I mean.

• Like 6

General fans don't stay for the journey. Just the ride. True Hardcore understand the show more.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, QueenofSheba said:

This isn’t about shipping, not at all. I’m actually curious as to where the Shenny friendship went to this season? It seems like TPTB are not capable of having Sheldon and Penny be friends or interact anymore, with their romantic relationships taking up all their time. Which isn’t realistic at all, people have best friends of the opposite sex and still have romantic relationships with other people. And instead of having moments between them, or scenes where they’re shopping, or hanging out etc etc..., we have to sit through these “Girls Nights” and the boys not really doing anything of importance.

It is very frustrating because I really do enjoy Shenny as friends, it doesn’t have to be more (made clearer every episode… and I get it, I can hope but oh well.) their interactions were always so real and fulfilling, and they were never trying to get anything out of the other person. They were just friends. There for each other.

Anyway, I looked around and didn’t see anything about his on here, and there seem to be a lot of folks on here, so I thought I’d ask.

This isn’t attacking the canon ships; this is about a friendship that I am missing on the show.

Hopefully S10 will bring it back.

10 hours ago, QueenofSheba said:

Sheldon and Penny aren't best friends. Sheldon made a clear distinction between her and Leonard in Earworm by calling Leonard his best friend while Penny just a friend. If they have ever called each other best friend, feel free to mention it.

Sheldon and Penny started out as "frenemies" but as the seasons pass by they move to "unlikely friends" territory. They are friends, but their friendship can only be realistic in small doses, it's not strong enough for them to hang out just the two of them. It wouldn't be believable. They need a middleman to do that, because otherwise what would they talk about? 

Basically, because of their dynamic their scenes are so few.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Judith said:

If they have ever called each other best friend, feel free to mention it.

Penny called him a friend in The Bad Fish Paradigm.

In The Closure Alternative, she told him "I want you to know that I love that you’re in my life.", to which he replied "I love you, too."

Sounds pretty "best friendy" to me.

Edited by Stephen Hawking