Shenny Friendship: Where Did It Go?

Why should penny or anyone for that matter side with Sheldon.? It was his fault they broke up taking Amy for granted and they all knew that including penny.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

I think she could have offered him more support than she did personally (I wouldn't say she should have taken sides but offering support to try and make Sheldon aware of why it went wrong), but that's just nitpicking because it worked out in the end.

Sheldon was the only one who could have fixed his relationship in an attempt to get it back on track and he did. Like he said he's glad he went through it.

That's the problem, he needs to figure things out for himself or he will never learn. Figuring out himself made him realise how badly he treated Amy and made amends. If the gang had tried to help him he would have just put them down because he knows better and is always right which could have prolong the breakup longer. So more of Sheldon figuring out things for himself.

• Like 2

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay but who are these critics exactly? Because every single reviewer for the show I follow has their head so far up Shamy's ass they're almost bigger shippers than we are. (Almost only, because, come

Tell that to Mayim, Kaley and Simon's Critics Choice Awards. Shennyland, that place where reality keeps eluding you no matter the topic.

I don't think Shedon and Penny are best friends. I mean they don't really understand each other most of the time. The reason people like to see them together is that due to their personality differenc

Posted Images

Looking back over the whole storyline since Amy's sexual awakening, neither Penny nor any of Sheldon's other friends ever reassurred him that it was OK not to have sex if he didn't want to (although maybe he should tell Amy if he wasn't ever going to). I think that's a bit sad.

7 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

I think she could have offered him more support than she did personally (I wouldn't say she should have taken sides but offering support to try and make Sheldon aware of why it went wrong), but that's just nitpicking because it worked out in the end.

Sheldon was the only one who could have fixed his relationship in an attempt to get it back on track and he did. Like he said he's glad he went through it.

That's the problem, he needs to figure things out for himself or he will never learn. Figuring out himself made him realise how badly he treated Amy and made amends. If the gang had tried to help him he would have just put them down because he knows better and is always right which could have prolong the breakup longer. So more of Sheldon figuring out things for himself.

I honestly think you will see more of that with Sheldon going forward otherwise what was the point in turning him from Season 1 Sheldon to now.

I think the writers failed in a way in terms of the rest of the groups reaction to the breakup. Like you said the most likely reason they didn't get involved is because they wanted Sheldon to figure it out himself and yet we really didn't see for example conversations between Leonard and Penny when they were alone on why they sat on the fence or talked about the Shamy breakup and their thoughts. I think the writers could have explored that a bit.

I honestly think you will see more of that with Sheldon going forward otherwise what was the point in turning him from Season 1 Sheldon to now.

I think the writers failed in a way in terms of the rest of the groups reaction to the breakup. Like you said the most likely reason they didn't get involved is because they wanted Sheldon to figure it out himself and yet we really didn't see for example conversations between Leonard and Penny when they were alone on why they sat on the fence or talked about the Shamy breakup and their thoughts. I think the writers could have explored that a bit.

Good point but the writers have been there before. Remember when lenny broke up. None of the gang got involved which I though was weird expecially the guys knowing leonard still had feelings for penny and the girls later on knowing that Penny felt the same. I guess it's the writers way of dragging it on so there is no quick resolution. Same with Shamy. It sucks but it keeps us invested.

• Like 1

I think it was very smart of Penny to not pick sides during the breakup, and to stay friends with both Sheldon and Amy.  She was living with Sheldon, so was a support and a friend to him on a daily basis.  She encouraged Amy to date other men.  In the end it worked, Amy saw what she was missing in Sheldon, and Penny remained good friends with both of them.  Well played by her, I'd say.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Lady in Red said:

I think it was very smart of Penny to not pick sides during the breakup, and to stay friends with both Sheldon and Amy.  She was living with Sheldon, so was a support and a friend to him on a daily basis.  She encouraged Amy to date other men.  In the end it worked, Amy saw what she was missing in Sheldon, and Penny remained good friends with both of them.  Well played by her, I'd say.

That is true, Leonard and Penny living with Sheldon, so he wasn't alone in that difficult period, was a huge amount of support for him, it gave him a sort of comfort so he could devote his mind to the real problem, his relationship with Amy.  Just think of how many people would do that for their friend, he needed them and they stayed there for him.

Also, like someone said, Leonard wasn't given any such support when Penny dumped him, his friends mocked him.

• Like 6

In addition, there are just so many times Penny can explain to Sheldon what he has done wrong and what he should do to make things right. She's been constantly helping him over the years and kicked his ass when necessary. As late as 8x24 she was trying to explain him in plain English why exactly the anniversary went downhill and he just didn't get it. Just as much as Amy's patience ran out, Penny's did as well and she literally threw her hands up like "If you can't understand this simple thing then I can't help you anymore!" Give the girl a break!

• Like 6

Lol after this episode I can finally answer the question of this post.

Shenny friendship has been changed to this brother/sister/Elliot/ET relationship, which is weird, forced and not as funny as the old Shenny relationship. It has turned into something that Penny and Sheldon use as an excuse to avoid growing up. So I really don't think it's Leonard and Amy's fault that the Shenny relationship is "ruined". Because Sheldon and Penny still have a lot of together screen time this season. It's just the writers were not able to write anything good out of it ever since they redefined the Shenny relationship to this boring and cliche one.

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would love to see the Penny and Sheldon interaction return to season 1 & 2 levels because that would mean Penny would already be back in 4B with her husband.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Jim Parsons recently said on IG that he misses Shenny laundry room scenes. I miss them too. Whether it is a heart to heart or a confrontation or just random jibber jabber, I love Sheldon and Penny laundry scenes.  So much used to happen there. haha

Also, I actually liked their scenes this season. The bathroom conversation in 200th episode hit home, coz I also had a similar panic attack in high school and one of my closest friends got me through it. It was a sweet scene about a girl giving a pep talk to her close friend.And in it's own way, their hug in the 200th episode was a homage to the now classic Leonard Nimoy -Adhesive Duck Deficiency episode, where Sheldon hugged her for the 1st time.

Season 1 or 2 Penny would not have understood his social anxiety problems and season 1 or 2 Sheldon would not let her touch him.

Edited by serena_nyc1995
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, serena_nyc1995 said:

Jim Parsons recently said on IG that he misses Shenny laundry room scenes. I miss them too. Whether it is a heart to heart or a confrontation or just random jibber jabber, I love Sheldon and Penny laundry scenes.  So much used to happen there. haha

Also, I actually liked their scenes this season. The bathroom conversation in 200th episode hit home, coz I also had a similar panic attack in high school and one of my closest friends got me through it. It was a sweet scene about a girl giving a pep talk to her close friend.And in it's own way, their hug in the 200th episode was a homage to the now classic Leonard Nimoy -Adhesive Duck Deficiency episode, where Sheldon hugged her for the 1st time.

Season 1 or 2 Penny would not have understood his social anxiety problems and season 1 or 2 Sheldon would not let her touch him.

When did Jim say he miss about Shenny laundry room scenes? 

6 minutes ago, camelliayao said:

When did Jim say he miss about Shenny laundry room scenes? 

Kaley was sharing an old screencap from a laundry scene and Jim was commenting how it's been a while since they had one of those and that they were always a lot of fun, or something along those lines. 

9 hours ago, serena_nyc1995 said:

Also, I absolutely loved their scenes this season. The bathroom conversation in 200th episode hit home, coz I also had a similar panic attack in high school and one of my closest friends got me through it. It was a sweet scene about a girl giving a pep talk to her close friend. In it's own way, their hug in the 200th episode was a homage to the now classic but old Leonard Nimoy -Adhesive Duck Deficiency episode, where Sheldon hugged her for the 1st time.

If I recall Kaley posted a photo on her Instagram of Penny in the laundry room with a caption on it basically saying the rumors she wanted out of the show were bullshit. Jim then posted a supportive comment backing her up and then said he missed doing the laundry room scenes with her.

23 minutes ago, April said:

Kaley was sharing an old screencap from a laundry scene and Jim was commenting how it's been a while since they had one of those and that they were always a lot of fun, or something along those lines. 

Thanks. I don't follow any of the cast members on IG so the only way I know is if someone posts it on the discussion thread haha.

Okay, maybe I lost my ability to read the English language but where in Parson's reply does it say he misses doing laundry scenes with Kaley?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SRAM said:

Okay, maybe I lost my ability to read the English language but where in Parson's reply does it say he misses doing laundry scenes with Kaley?

Faulty memory and exaggeration? I only saw that post briefly but the way some people were talking about it somehow slotted the idea into my brain that the also said those scenes were always fun to do. He didn't even say that but a merely "it's been a while" from what people probably extrapolated that there's some wistfulness for the good old days here... or something... lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, April said:

Faulty memory and exaggeration? I only saw that post briefly but the way some people were talking about it somehow slotted the idea into my brain that the also said those scenes were always fun to do. He didn't even say that but a merely "it's been a while" from what people probably extrapolated that there's some wistfulness for the good old days here... or something... lol

"It's been a while" means it happened a long time ago, that is all.  I can't believe how many people I have told "it's been a while" when I haven't seen them for a long time or they have told me.  It does not mean I miss them, as a matter of fact I am glad  " it's been a while" for some of them since I've seen them.   Twisting words to satisfy the inner voices in your head that tell you Penny should be with Sheldon, does not make it true.

• Like 1

WTH ? Where did I say I want Penny to be with Sheldon ? He said those were the good old fashioned laundry room scenes and it has been a long time. Clearly, he still loves working with Kaley and always loved their 'verbal dance ' together.   . Some of Jim and Kaley's favorite scenes of the series are with each other. It is not that much of an exaggeration that he would love to have those scenes again.And  I miss those scenes. I miss the cheescake factory scenes too.

Just because I enjoy Shenny friendship or Bernie/Raj friendship doesn't mean I want them together.There is much more to TBBT than just romantic relationships/sex and alot of non-shippers and vierwers enjoy other aspects of it as well.

This might be shocking here, but people can love more than one part of the show.

Edited by serena_nyc1995
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SRAM said:

"It's been a while" means it happened a long time ago, that is all.  I can't believe how many people I have told "it's been a while" when I haven't seen them for a long time or they have told me.  It does not mean I miss them, as a matter of fact I am glad  " it's been a while" for some of them since I've seen them.   Twisting words to satisfy the inner voices in your head that tell you Penny should be with Sheldon, does not make it true.

Well...that was an actor who was commenting on IG a photo posted by a colleague, not Sheldon speaking to Penny. I don't understand what's the big deal if Jim Parsons  enjoys his scenes with Kaley Couco (and he does, since he has said so in many interviews) That most probably doesn't mean he wants Sheldon and Penny together as a couple (nor it's his decision for this to happen or not to happen), but just that he likes working with Kaley.  I for sure don't want Sheldon and Penny together as a couple, but I interpreted his comment, as many above, as Jim missing  the "vintage" scenes in the laundry room with Kaley.

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 1

The thing is he never said he missed those scenes, he said "it has been a while" since they did those scenes, but ever since that Instagram message was posted there have been people pushing that Parsons "MISSES" his Shenny scenes with Kaley, when he never said that.  Pushing a lie over and over, doesn't make it true and it is something better left to politicians.

• Like 1
  • Penny Thumbs Up 1

On 3/26/2016 at 10:27 PM, serena_nyc1995 said:

P says to S - "Your Ken and Kiss my Barbie" 

It was actually "your Ken can kiss my Barbie".

On 4/20/2016 at 5:32 PM, JohnPhD said:

Penny gets nothing whatever out of her relationship with Amy.

She got a $3,000, 12 square foot painting. :laugh: 

Well probably because its not 2008. Penny is no longer fasinated by Sheldon, she is even worn down to the point she defends Sheldon. Where as she used to fight him for Leonard's sake. She even bitches about "The Man Child". That and Penny is now a grown adult who is married. You would think her marrage with Leonard comes before a innocent friendship that means nothing in the long run. It's season ten not Season 2. More and more as time goes on, it is showing they are strangers. 

Edited by 3ku11