Jump to content

919 'The Solder Excursion Diversion' (March 31)


Tripper
 Share

Recommended Posts

I liked the episode; the Shamy plot was intense, but had also very funny moments. The memorial service to the old computer made me crack, as well as all the third degree interrogatory that Sheldon made about the specs of the new computer and him referring to "the GUY".  BTW, the new laptop is the most recent update of Sheldon's dead Alienware, so Amy chose something that she knew would have suited all his work and game necessities (since the old one did that too...)

I liked also the other plot, it was nice to see the not so common pairings of Leonard/Howard and Bernie/Raj/Penny. I liked above all that Penny mentioned once again her "youth" and compared it with her present life. She seemed truly amazed of being doing "science" in a lab and  also happy of the choices that brought her there. Leonard's face when she mocked him about the possibility of stealing his breakthrough was priceless, maybe the most hilarious moment of the whole episode.

Edited by mirs1
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1.4.2016 at 3:09 PM, mirs1 said:

.....

I liked also the other plot, it was nice to see the not so common pairings of Leonard/Howard and Bernie/Raj/Penny. I liked above all that Penny mentioned once again her "youth" and compared it with her present life. She seemed truly amazed of being doing "science" in a lab, but she seemed also happy of her choices. Leonard's face when she mocked him about the possibility of stealing his breakthrough was priceless, maybe the most hilarious moment of the whole episode.

Yep! The girls supported their husbands on the project. Penny is appreciating the fact that she's now married to a scientist in contrast to her original dream of becoming an actress. Isn't that a little bit of maturity? :shy:

 

Edited by veejay
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Itwasdestined said:


Which Sheldon expressed quite strongly to Amy, those exact sentiments. So the writers were very clear on Sheldons character trait here. It's only when she ticked off EVERY requirement he personally would have looked for in a replacement, including going to his personal choice for tech guy he'd go to, did he accept the gift from the woman who does truly know him get. Every one entitled to their opinion and can react accordingly but for me this just another minor nitpick that can be overlooked without ruining the show's ability to entertain. I don't think the writers did much wrong with this one. 

Eh, I agree, to each their own. The scene bothered me because I found it a little invasive. I wouldn't like a partner making that substantial of a financial decision for me without even consulting me about my opinion (even if it was their gift). And it just seemed like one of the little ways in which this show gets nerddom wrong. Most technically inclined nerds I know would want to consider exactly which make of graphics card their getting and little things like that which don't have right answers a tech guy could guess, but many options, considering what you're looking for. (Hell, that's the fun part!) But, as it is now a show about relationships and not nerds, making buying a computer about Shamy is tonally consistent.

But It hink we have a generally different outlook on the show, since to me this was one of the weaker episodes (aside from the b-plot in the lab, I liked that!)

Edited by A.D.A.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, A.D.A. said:

Eh, I agree, to each their own. The scene bothered me because I found it a little invasive. I wouldn't like a partner making that substantial of a financial decision for me without even consulting me about my opinion (even if it was their gift). And it just seemed like one of the little ways in which this show gets nerddom wrong. Most technically inclined nerds I know would want to consider exactly which make of graphics card their getting and little things like that which don't have right answers a tech guy could guess, but many options, considering what you're looking for. (Hell, that's the fun part!) But, as it is now a show about relationships and not nerds, making buying a computer about Shamy is tonally consistent.

But It hink we have a generally different outlook on the show, since to me this was one of the weaker episodes (aside from the b-plot in the lab, I liked that!)

The only thing is, we are discussing Sheldon Cooper.  I believe he has been to the computer store on Colorado Boulevard regularly (maybe not every week, but very, very often).  I also believe that he has discussed in great detail every aspect of what he would want in a new computer with the tech guy he mentioned to Amy (and from whom Amy purchased the computer).  I think the computer she bought him had each and every feature he would have selected for himself---because in essance, he already had. 

Edited by hokie3457
better word choice bought v. brought
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

The only thing is, we are discussing Sheldon Cooper.  I believe he has been to the computer store on Colorado Boulevard regularly (maybe not every week, but very, very often).  I also believe that he has discussed in great detail every aspect of what he would want in a new computer with the tech guy he mentioned to Amy (and from whom Amy purchased the computer).  I think the computer she brought him had each and every feature he would have selected for himself---because in essance, he already had. 

But that's getting in the direction of headcanons now. That's what you believe, but maybe I believe Sheldon wouldn't have discussed these things with the tech guy at all because he's haughty and thinks he knows better, but has (begrudgingly) noticed the guy knows his stuff by asking him annoying random questions to test him. That's just as valid an interpretation of his personality.

I guess the discussion is already moot anyway, since Sheldon was apparently happy to work with a broken computer with waning functionality, so Amy might as well have bought him an ipad and that might have replaced it perfectly well. By which I mean to say, I think we're probably thinking deeper into this than the writers have. :icon_cheesygrin:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, A.D.A. said:

But that's getting in the direction of headcanons now. That's what you believe, but maybe I believe Sheldon wouldn't have discussed these things with the tech guy at all because he's haughty and thinks he knows better, but has (begrudgingly) noticed the guy knows his stuff by asking him annoying random questions to test him. That's just as valid an interpretation of his personality.

I guess the discussion is already moot anyway, since Sheldon was apparently happy to work with a broken computer with waning functionality, so Amy might as well have bought him an ipad and that might have replaced it perfectly well. By which I mean to say, I think we're probably thinking deeper into this than the writers have. :icon_cheesygrin:

Very good point on your part A.D.A.  Vive la difference!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

any reason to why Leonard and Howard changed their minds?? they were sure they got the girls to believe their lies... 

atleast should have shown sometime which led them to changing their minds.....  but all we got was a dull apology...

and for all the misogyny... comments in the forum.... how come no one comments when it is always the husbands doing mistakes and husbands apologizing while women forgive them....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, vasu said:

any reason to why Leonard and Howard changed their minds?? they were sure they got the girls to believe their lies... 

atleast should have shown sometime which led them to changing their minds.....  but all we got was a dull apology...

and for all the misogyny... comments in the forum.... how come no one comments when it is always the husbands doing mistakes and husbands apologizing while women forgive them....

The reason you don't see that is the show is only 19-20 minutes long per episode now so they can't get very deep into the reasons why.

As to the apology, they admitted they were wrong, said they were sorry, brought flowers and offered to take them out to dinner, what else do you want them to do, hard time in prison?

Actually they both acted like normal married couples, a refreshing change from being around the crazy that is Sheldon.  The girls coming to bring them lunch, visiting and then helping only reinforcing how happily married both couples are.  

Plus they did a little science, son.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, SRAM said:

The reason you don't see that is the show is only 19-20 minutes long per episode now so they can't get very deep into the reasons why.

As to the apology, they admitted they were wrong, said they were sorry, brought flowers and offered to take them out to dinner, what else do you want them to do, hard time in prison?

Actually they both acted like normal married couples, a refreshing change from being around the crazy that is Sheldon.  The girls coming to bring them lunch, visiting and then helping only reinforcing how happily married both couples are.  

Plus they did a little science, son.

I am not talking about apology, I wanted to see the reason why they changed their minds, especially since they were convinced they their wives bought their lies...   as simple as that....

 

new post:

on an other it would have been funny , if after Sheldon mentioned that he has a couple of hours to bed time, after wagging some eye brows it were amy who suggested them to skype..... but of course Amy is now perpetually horny ... and sheldon is clueless and not interested.... and so come the cringeworthy jokes.......yuck

Edited by vasu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, vasu said:

I am not talking about apology, I wanted to see the reason why they changed their minds, especially since they were convinced they their wives bought their lies...   as simple as that....

 

new post:

on an other it would have been funny , if after Sheldon mentioned that he has a couple of hours to bed time, after wagging some eye brows it were amy who suggested them to skype..... but of course Amy is now perpetually horny ... and sheldon is clueless and not interested.... and so come the cringeworthy jokes.......yuck

Point 1- If they had shown their reasoning you would complained they both were wimps.

Point 2- I agree with you. Kind of shows Shamy fans aren't really Amy fans.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Point 1- If they had shown their reasoning you would complained they both were wimps.

Point 2- I agree with you. Kind of shows Shamy fans aren't really Amy fans.

depends on the reasoning they come up with.... they could have guessed Raj would have come to visit them.. and then they could also have guessed Raj would rat them out .... so in order to catch Raj... they come up with this plan and when Raj comes out of the closet ... those two could have smiled at each other acknowledging their plan worked out.................   ( again I wanted the reason because they were convinced their wives bought their lies)....

point 2 : i honestly could not care whether shamy fans or amy fans or not.......but for me Amy's character has gone from being awesome to being cringeworthy.... still there are jokes about her being sex starved... i hated those before... I hate them even more now.... yuck just yuck.,...

Edited by vasu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You know I was thinking Raj really broke the bro-code by telling Leonard and Howard's wives what they were up to, they are suppose to be his best friends, he really is becoming a huge douche.  So their revenge is justified, they should bring Claire and Emily together and tell them what he is doing with them, right in front of him.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, vasu said:

depends on the reasoning they come up with.... they could have guessed Raj would have come to visit them.. and then they could also have guessed Raj would rat them out .... so in order to catch Raj... they come up with this plan and when Raj comes out of the closet ... those two could have smiled at each other acknowledging their plan worked out.................   ( again I wanted the reason because they were convinced their wives bought their lies)....

 

I'm not sure how that would of made the episode better. The storyline would of ended the same way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There were several references in past episodes that Sheldon's mother has been sending him boxes of his kid stuff for years.  So that's how he came to have so much stuff.  As to Amy replacing Sheldon's dead computer, I can understand her desire to do so after witnessing him trying to choose a gaming system, but I don't think I would like it either.  Its subjective-like picking a purse.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SRAM said:

You know I was thinking Raj really broke the bro-code by telling Leonard and Howard's wives what they were up to, they are suppose to be his best friends, he really is becoming a huge douche.  So their revenge is justified, they should bring Claire and Emily together and tell them what he is doing with them, right in front of him.

The guys were rubbing it in by telling Raj they were at the movie. I'm guessing that's why the guys knew to tell the truth. Penny handled Raj. I can't totally blame Raj for telling the girls.

47 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

How about they just considered that it is not cool to lie to your wife? 

Bu they didn't consider that until after they made up the flat tire story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

like the episode

nice to see work being done in some ones lab,

think the leonard/howard pair is good to see, they

worked together last year also.

talk about the writing when would raj not jump at the

chance to do both penny and bernie, glad he was bust.

all this shamy sweetness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, vasu said:

any reason to why Leonard and Howard changed their minds?? they were sure they got the girls to believe their lies... 

atleast should have shown sometime which led them to changing their minds.....  but all we got was a dull apology...

and for all the misogyny... comments in the forum.... how come no one comments when it is always the husbands doing mistakes and husbands apologizing while women forgive them....

Sitcom 101. Women are wise and patient. Men are childish buffoons.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Meh episode for me.

As a former Shamy, right off the bat I'm reminded why I could care less about their story.  The line about signing a disclosure statement prior to coitus...really Amy?  It feels like every opportunity she gets,  she throws this out there in some way shape or form.  If Sheldon doesn't give in to another coitus session before her next b-day, Amy is likely to break up with him for the exact reason she did in the first place.  Except this time it cuts a little deeper because he got some, enjoyed it more than he through he would but she starts to question her desirability because all of her innuendo goes zooming right by him.  I deplore she went back with him status quo even if she got what she wanted anyway.  Just really...I could use a little break from Shamy like the b or c plot or maybe they could be relegated to the kitchen island for an epi or 2. 

The lab for a second it felt like coming home.  A little science, the lab, Penny trying to get it but then the scientists get pulled into the Suicide Squad and lie to the girls...and bubble burst.  Then of course Raj ends up at the lab instead of with his buds...Raj...who are you?  Well, apparently one of the girls now.  I guess it all worked out in the end but honestly this fan was easily distracted which seems to be the norm for me this season.

I am sure I will hang around until the end but it's just not the same.  It's like TPTB do everything to keep everything static but try to push it forward just a bit but not too much.  Knee jerk reaction. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Denise07 said:

Meh episode for me.

As a former Shamy, right off the bat I'm reminded why I could care less about their story.  The line about signing a disclosure statement prior to coitus...really Amy?  It feels like every opportunity she gets,  she throws this out there in some way shape or form.  If Sheldon doesn't give in to another coitus session before her next b-day, Amy is likely to break up with him for the exact reason she did in the first place.  Except this time it cuts a little deeper because he got some, enjoyed it more than he through he would but she starts to question her desirability because all of her innuendo goes zooming right by him.  I deplore she went back with him status quo even if she got what she wanted anyway.  Just really...I could use a little break from Shamy like the b or c plot or maybe they could be relegated to the kitchen island for an epi or 2. 

 

 

I was waiting for someone to come to get it right about their storyline. Amen to the kitchen island.

Edited by Chrismo
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And how dumb was Amy to think that Sheldon was talking about having sex... its funny people say that she knows Sheldon very well... yet never properly get him........ I am pretty sure almost all the audience who was watching could have guessed that Sheldon atleast was not talking about sex.....

7 hours ago, Chrismo said:

I'm not sure how that would of made the episode better. The storyline would of ended the same way.

 what happens if it ends the same way... the story told would have been different....

again my asking for the reason why leonard and howard changed their minds was that , why would they do that after they were convinced that their wives believed their story (and all the fuss about not telling their wives was not good behavior was discussed earlier between leonard and howard)

Edited by vasu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, I Miss Dan said:

There were several references in past episodes that Sheldon's mother has been sending him boxes of his kid stuff for years.  So that's how he came to have so much stuff.  As to Amy replacing Sheldon's dead computer, I can understand her desire to do so after witnessing him trying to choose a gaming system, but I don't think I would like it either.  Its subjective-like picking a purse.

I recall him getting a box of papers he wrote as a child in 6.03.

I don't recall him getting lots of other boxes.

Quote

Scene: The apartment. Penny enters, carrying a box.

Penny: Ugh. Hey, Sheldon? Hi. This came for you today. It’s from your mom.

Sheldon: Oh, thank you, Penny.

Penny: M-hmm.

Sheldon: Yeah, wait, here. For your troubles.

Penny: Oh, boy, a whole dollar. Now, I can quit my paper route. So, what’s in it?

Leonard: Mmm, doesn’t matter. Half the time, he just ends up playing with the box.

Sheldon: Yeah, it’s journals and research papers I wrote as a child.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Chrismo said:

Point 2- I agree with you. Kind of shows Shamy fans aren't really Amy fans.

We are Amy fans, you just don't get us.  That's fine.

We find the sweetness in every episode. That's what we do.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In 6.09 Sheldon attempted to sell the laptop that he had owned for two years.

Quote

Sheldon: Is that your son?

Shopkeeper: Uh-huh.

Sheldon: Looks like that laptop’s seen better days. If you’re interested, I’m selling this. It’s only two years old, 16 gigabytes of RAM, Intel core i7 processor, and I can personally guarantee it has spent less than 20 minutes resting on...

Of course one has to wonder how Sheldon could even have considered going to mars in 8.17? Did he think he could take his stuff? Or that his mother would send his locker full of stuff?

Quote

Sheldon: I know. I like him, too. Hi, little guy. How’d you like to come home with us? You’ll be living with me because we don’t live in the same house.

Amy: But that’s not your fault. Like you, we’re taking it ridiculously slow. You’ll stay with me when he’s at Comic-Con or away for work.

Sheldon: Or if they accept Daddy’s application to live on Mars.

Amy: What are you talking about?

Sheldon: Oh, there’s this company that’s attempting to establish a colony on Mars, and I applied to be among the first to go. What should we name him? You know, I came in thinking Seth, but he kind of looks Italian.

 

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.