How has TBBT affected the way you talk?

Have you started using any sayings, from the show?

A couple of times, someone has asked me "Pun intended?", and I've replied with "I'm sorry, what pun?"

I also once used "I don’t object to the concept of a deity, but I’m baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance."

I'm guessing nobody has ever used "Now, before this goes any further, you should know that all forms of physical contact, up to and including coitus, are off the table."? :icon_biggrin: 

• Like 1

"Gravity, thou art a heartless bitch" gets used here when one of us drops something we didn't mean to. "A non-optional social convention" is another common phrase I use with my boys. Gets better cooperation than "because I said so". :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My eldest daughter has adopted Sheldon's knock. Drives me crazy sometimes but it is hilariously funny when she uses it when friends are visiting who don't watch BBT. The look on their faces is just priceless! :icon_lol:

• Like 3

I'm just waiting for the opportunity to use, "where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the toad of truth".  My day job uses math, so it could happen.

Edited by Lady in Red

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A few weeks ago, Marc said Drink plenty of fluids and I said What else would I drink?. Sort of like an abridged version of what Sheldon says in Series 1, Episode 11.

Yesterday, we were having dinner and we both had a small plate with a barm cake * on it. I ended up accidentally eating Marc's barm cake as I didn't notice the plates. So I tried to say Sorry but instead I said Forry. Then Marc make a joke about how I said Forry. He said What's life without whimsy?. And then he said As Sheldon would say.

* A type of bread roll.

On 9/5/2016 at 1:15 PM, Stephen Hawking said:

You date TBBT fans? :cool: 

I wish I could find some female fans to date.

The incidents predated TBBT.

If you want to find TBBT fans to date, when someone touches you, you say  "1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi".

If they laugh, you've found a fan, and broken the ice. You're on your way to Coitusville if you play your cards right.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for my "german english".

When I saw the topic of this thread, I had something different in mind. When I saw the first episodes of the show, I recognized, that I don't use too much foreign words and technical language, because I didn't wanted the people to think I'm a nerd. 

I worked at University (as a musicologist) for some years and all my colleages were very intelligent. Then I quit the job to become a self-reliant piano teacher and among "normal" people I simplified my language, because I didn't want them to think that I'm arrogant.

--

I also use some citations of the show. There is a scene where Leonard wants Sheldon something to do. He says, he hasn't got to do anything except eat, drink and defecate, all other thinks were optional...

I'm sure that I'm doing mistakes by writing in english, I'm sorry... Correct me, so I can improve my english.

6 hours ago, Zazzie said:

There is a scene where Leonard wants Sheldon something to do. He says, he hasn't got to do anything except eat, drink and defecate, all other thinks were optional...

It's from The Cooper-Hofstadter Polarization:-

Leonard: Shut up, Howard. Sheldon, we have to do this.

Sheldon: No we don’t. We have to take in nourishment, expel waste, and inhale enough oxygen to keep ourselves from dying, everything else is optional.

6 hours ago, Zazzie said:

I'm sure that I'm doing mistakes by writing in English, I'm sorry... Correct me, so I can improve my English.

Don't sweat. You are doing fine.

Your English is W-A-Y better that my German.

As long as people understand what I'm writing, it's o.k. to make mistakes...

Thank you for the citation, Stephen Hawking. The episodes have other names in Germany, they didn't translate the titles and chose complete different names. It's easier to have the number to find it, but I don't need it in this case...