922 'The Fermentation Bifurcation' (April 28)

Tripper

2 hours ago, Lionne said:

I forgot to mention that Sheldon faints this episode. So we can now cross off "Sheldon faints" alongside "Sheldon in his underwear" as accomplished this season. This faint was just as funny and apropos to the plot as his pants dropping earlier this season. So basically not funny at all, but there had to be some way to end the scene.

HOWEVER - Leonard and Penny finally have something in common! Apparently they both have shy bladders, and can't go when getting chummy with others in the bathroom. And apparently that sex that Penny just decided to tell the whole group about must have happened recently, because it was just in the Valentine's Day episode that she mistook e=mc2 for a rapper.

You are probably right, remember the Valentine's Day before when he was trying to convince her 9 minutes was a long time.  I could definitely see him reciting e=mc2 to distract himself the next Valentine's Day, to do better.  Hey does that mean we actually saw some continuity in the show between episodes?

The scene in the bathroom seemed very real to me, I have had technical conversations with people that have continued even when in the bathroom, just like that.  But I agree it may not be too tasteful, bathroom humor is sometimes just gross.

• Like 3

Sheldon and Bernie D& D scene was funny; most definitely Zack scenes were funny. Don't know about anyone else but i find Claire funny and cute and think she should stay in the TBBT and should be given little more exposure; she has this funny expressions with her eyes.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, SRAM said:

The scene in the bathroom seemed very real to me, I have had technical conversations with people that have continued even when in the bathroom, just like that.  But I agree it may not be too tasteful, bathroom humor is sometimes just gross.

Is it bathroom humor just because one is in a bathroom? ;) 

i think the scene might have been realistic, as realistic as the time Amy, Penny and Bernie were in the girl's bathroom. Only then I did not see their faces as they were doing their business, just their feet. This felt different....I was basically watching two men take a piss, and even though the lower parts were covered, that's still what I was watching, and it was just a little too intimate. 

As a lady, that really made me uncomfortable. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Lionne said:

Is it bathroom humor just because one is in a bathroom? ;) 

i think the scene might have been realistic, as realistic as the time Amy, Penny and Bernie were in the girl's bathroom. Only then I did not see their faces as they were doing their business, just their feet. This felt different....I was basically watching two men take a piss, and even though the lower parts were covered, that's still what I was watching, and it was just a little too intimate. 

As a lady, that really made me uncomfortable. 

AND it was way too long.  No one takes that long to piss.  I actually went to the restroom when the scene started and they were still standing in place when I returned.

Edited by notchinc
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, notchinc said:

AND it was way too long.  No one takes that long to piss.  I actually when to the restroom when the scene started and they were still standing in place when I returned.

You obviously never seen me when I've had way too many beers.:icon_twisted:

You know what they say, you can only borrow beer.

1 hour ago, notchinc said:

AND it was way too long.  No one takes that long to piss. 

At least not at their age.   Me on the other hand, especially after some hydrocodone... :icon_redface:

• Like 3

Well, this was the first episode in awhile that I actually didn't lose interest.  That says something but not a whole lot as overall it was still just meh. 

Shamy...yawn.  It's sad to me that I just don't care.  I used to actively ship them. Since their break up and subsequent relationship since reuniting, I just don't care so in that I am glad it was a small piece of the story. It was good that they were honest with each other and how they felt.

Lenny:  I still ship them.  There wasn't a lot here to work with but I did like how they both beamed when Zach if they got married to...each other.  Overall, at the wine tasting, I thought Leonard was stiff like he didn't know where to stand or what to do.  It's probably just a result of the storyline and I don't necessarily think it's reflective of Lenny. 

Amy/Howard:  I was just disappointed. If nothing else, couldn't they have talked about their love for Neil Diamond or maybe karaoke instead of the scene we got?  It's TPTB story but even a little callback would have been nice compared to THAT ONE we bonded 3 years ago and the awkwardness that ensued.   

Sheldon/Bernie:  I actually enjoyed them and found it cute and not forced.  Bernie seemed genuinely surprised that she could enjoy Sheldon.  It was refreshing.

I love Zack.  He is fun to look at.  He likes the guys, is interested in what they do, and even as an ex to Penny--a Lenny shipper.  Would've loved it if the tag was Claire and Zack in bed.

Raj...whatever.  I like Claire but I was a little surprised by her reaction when Raj lets that cat out of the bag.  I thought she was all for casual but now she seems put off that it might not be.  I just don't see what Emily or Claire see at this point in Raj.  Both could do so much better.  Would love to see them in the future play him and maybe even push him back to his not being able to talk to women. 

• Like 5

I liked this episode. I like Smart!Zack. He really does have an interest in other people and what they do. He continues to reach out to the group even when they aren't nice to him. I wouldn't mind seeing more of him, although I'm not sure how he'd work in the group dynamic. Maybe he and Stuart could become friends based on their kindness and tendencies to get bullied by the boys.

Frank and Alicia - I liked this. It's obviously just a joke on the writer's parts. It's funny on a few levels because 1) it came out of left field that Sheldon has a secret group of friends that not even Leonard knows about and 2) Sheldon isn't really a social kind of guy so having side friends is extra funny. I kind of like it though because if the writers meant it in this way, Frank and Alicia represent how far Sheldon has come out of his shell - that he can make friends outside of the group. 

Also, love Sheldon's niceness to Bernadette. I think that he has been showing this level of care to others throughout all of BBT or else we'd all hate him by now. He can turn it on when he wants to. But I wonder what the implications of wanting to spend time with Bernadette and make her feel special have. I might be reading too much into it, but he could be practicing. Not only practicing being nice but practicing taking care of a pregnant woman for any kind of similar event that may or may not happen in his future. 

And come on, Amy and Howard. Neil Diamond! 

• Like 7

Kind of a weird discussion but If people feel uncomfortable about someone being portrayed as urinating then fair enough.

I hope they do D&D again with Bernatrix the Warrior Queen.

Edited by Jonny83
  • Like 3

It was a nice episode. I loved the Shamy banter at the beginning. The Sheldon/Bernie scenes were cute, it's nice to see how far Sheldon has come and how sweet and thoughtful he can be when he wants to.

Zack was awesome (not to mention easy on the eyes). His fanboying over Lenny reminded me of Dave's fanboying over Shamy. I hope he'll be back in season 10.

Amy and Howard :(:(:(

The tag was very funny...Also, who the fuck are Frank and Alicia?

PS: I like Claire. I'd wish for her to stick around if the writers could find a way other than her being with Raj. Speaking of Raj...*yawn*.

Edited by Judith
  • Like 6

I'm with those who loved seeing Zach return.  Not a bright bulb but harmless and actually a good heart.  And he adds something to the show.  Make him a regular character.  And congratulations to the writers (yes, sarcasm) on making Raj a complete douchebag.  Claire is a cutie but no doubt Raj will nose dive from high altitude with her.  What a total zero he is.

• Like 8

I finally got to see the new episode just this afternoon.  I got a temp job working setting up some stuff for a conference, so I was working until 9pm last night.

I had seen several clips, but finally got to watch the whole episode.

I'm amazed at some of the things people take so seriously.  The bathroom scene?  Really?  It's not as if we were actually seeing anything--maybe I just don't think to much about what's "unseen".  I ain't trying to imagine anyone's "junk".  Just the dialog and the idea of the ongoing conversation.

And the whole thing about whether or not the guys' invention, whether or not it's plausible, whether or not it's a violation of law, etc...  I don't think the show is trying to get into all that technicality because A) it wouldn't be funny and B ), it really wouldn't be funny.

As for Claire not getting to say something or react to the revelation of Raj's situation, I think that was kind of the point.  Was she supposed to get mad?  Scream at him?  Break up with him?

I think the sort of stunned reaction is better because it focused on Raj realizing that he had just outed himself.  Too much reaction would have taken that away.

And I don't know who said that the show wants us to root for Raj.  Yeah, Leonard is still kind of stunned at Raj's situation, but I don't think that's what the writers are wanting us to take from it.  I think it's obvious that Raj trying to keep from committing to Claire and then outing himself, which was the funny part, is what the writers want us to see.  They want us to laugh at Raj finally being revealed.

And Claire is a barely developed character, so it makes sense to me that she wouldn't get some kind of big scene or dramatic statement or whatever.  She's been in how many scenes/episode?  2 or 3?  If it had been Emily in the scene, it might have made sense to have a strong reaction, but even if it had been her, the punchline was really Raj's realization that his big ol' foot was securely in his mouth.

Zack's "Mike DeGrasse Tyson" line cracked me up when I saw the preview the other day because I knew the name was wrong, but it took me a while to remember the guy's real name...

Someone mentioned Sheldon "fainting", but he didn't faint.  He got dizzy and fell.  They were talking about how the movement was making them dizzy and while Sheldon was taking the video, he also got dizzy.  That's all it was.

I liked the stuff that Sheldon did for Bernadette.  I think that one of the reasons he went all out is that it was a new sort of "adventure" for him, which, as he said, focused on his love of "restrictions".  He has played games and hung out with pretty much everyone in the gang in one way or combination before, including Amy, BTW ("Fun with Flags", etc.), but he hasn't really had much time with Bernie.  So, here's a new way for him to interact with her, and he makes the most of it for both of them.

I really enjoyed this episode!!

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Zma said:

Sheldon and Bernie D& D scene was funny; most definitely Zack scenes were funny. Don't know about anyone else but i find Claire funny and cute and think she should stay in the TBBT and should be given little more exposure; she has this funny expressions with her eyes.

I agree but I also believe that they can have only so many regular cast members.

On 29.4.2016 at 1:02 PM, Lionne said:

He had 112 friends on MySpace that he had never met, and that was the beauty of it. If you want to explain who Frank and Alicia are you have to head cannon a lot, but there's no obvious answer. Alicia, the girl who lives upstairs? Did she and Sheldon secretly become friends?

Sheldon has 212 friends on MySpace. He said that in the pilot episode.  

Yeah maybe Frank and Alicia are one of them.

Loved Zack in the episode. He was my personal highlight. That guy should come back more often.

• Like 3

I guess the 'Frank and Alicia' thing is also a bit of meta humour? The show is winking at the fact that casts on TV shows are necessarily limited, so the characters on the show tend to not have friends outside the circle we see?

Still a weird way to do it. Especially since Sheldon's nonchalance suggested that Frank and Alicia were people he'd brought up before (like old college roommates or something), and Leonard's mystification suggested...not. And I agree with Lio that Sheldon's affect was.....worrying. As in 'Leonard, back away slowly, maintaining eye contact, and call the people in the white coats'.

Oh, and also, was anyone else torn between horror and laughter at Sheldon's sexual possessiveness of Amy, combined with his desire to ride the children's train at the mall? Like, I have a vision now of Sheldon perching on top of the train, his knees up around his ears because he can't fit otherwise, shoving a kid out of the way with one hand while raising binoculars to his eyes with the other hand to jealously track the masseur and make sure there's no funny business? I'm amused, but I also find it really disturbing. And Amy, to her credit, was put off by Sheldon's 'choo-choo' escapades as well. Gak. So that affirms that Sheldon, Howard and Leonard have implicitly or explicitly Oedipal undertones in their romantic relationships. Amazingly, Ugh, Raj is the only one who seems to have escaped that particular curse. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowbagger said:

I guess the 'Frank and Alicia' thing is also a bit of meta humour? The show is winking at the fact that casts on TV shows are necessarily limited, so the characters on the show tend to not have friends outside the circle we see?

Still a weird way to do it. Especially since Sheldon's nonchalance suggested that Frank and Alicia were people he'd brought up before (like old college roommates or something), and Leonard's mystification suggested...not. And I agree with Lio that Sheldon's affect was.....worrying. As in 'Leonard, back away slowly, maintaining eye contact, and call the people in the white coats'.

Oh, and also, was anyone else torn between horror and laughter at Sheldon's sexual possessiveness of Amy, combined with his desire to ride the children's train at the mall? Like, I have a vision now of Sheldon perching on top of the train, his knees up around his ears because he can't fit otherwise, shoving a kid out of the way with one hand while raising binoculars to his eyes with the other hand to jealously track the masseur and make sure there's no funny business? I'm amused, but I also find it really disturbing. And Amy, to her credit, was put off by Sheldon's 'choo-choo' escapades as well. Gak. So that affirms that Sheldon, Howard and Leonard have implicitly or explicitly Oedipal undertones in their romantic relationships. Amazingly, Ugh, Raj is the only one who seems to have escaped that particular curse. 

LOL your description of Sheldon sitting on the toy train, watching Amy through his binoculars, made me laugh so much!!

Poor Amy, I´m sure if anyone asked her who it is, she would deny knowing him. Is there no age restriction? I´m sure that at least one of the parents would call for the security guard, wouldn´t they? Imagine Amy gets a massage, when suddenly a security guard appears with Sheldon and has a serious talk with her, that these trains are only for kids between 3 - 8 years, while Sheldon presses his fingers on his temples, trying to blow up the masseur´s head with the power of his mind.

Doesn´t Amy want to protect him from being the object of anyone´s amusement? From being taunted in public?

What if Kripke or another colleague from work would see him or even worse some sponsors from the university?

Would any scientist take him serious anymore, if they saw him, riding on a toy train screaming "choo. choo"?

Why doesn´t he ride real trains, like other train fans, like his friend Eric? (What happened to him anyway?)

Don´t get me wrong, I love when he reads  his comic books, or when he plays with his toy trains at home, or plays D&D, surrounded by people who love him and understand his fascination for trains, I just don´t want him to be a victim of other people who make fun of him, because he enjoys being a child, to escape  from reality from time to time. And I don´t want him to embarass Amy neither, who always supports him no matter what he does. This would make my heart break into thousand pieces. :icon_cry:

Ok, to clarify these train rides at the mall....they usually ARE big enough for adults to ride them because for 1.) some parents can be overly protective and want to be with their child for something that's going to take them on a ride around the mall and out of sight.  And 2.) some kids, especially little ones, don't want mom and/or dad out of sight so insist on the parent riding with them.  

The only problem with Sheldon riding these trains is he doesn't have a kid he's riding the train with.  It would be perfectly natural for him to do so with his nephew, his own kid when (or if) he has them someday or even Howardette's kid later on.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kathy2611 said:

Ok, to clarify these train rides at the mall....they usually ARE big enough for adults to ride them because for 1.) some parents can be overly protective and want to be with their child for something that's going to take them on a ride around the mall and out of sight.  And 2.) some kids, especially little ones, don't want mom and/or dad out of sight so insist on the parent riding with them.  

The only problem with Sheldon riding these trains is he doesn't have a kid he's riding the train with.  It would be perfectly natural for him to do so with his nephew, his own kid when (or if) he has them someday or even Howardette's kid later on.

I see.

The only trains I´ve seen so far, were made for toddlers, but it´s nice to know that there are trains for the kids and their parents.

But still, it must be confusing for others to see a 36 years old man sitting alone there.

I´m sure, that once Sheldon has his own kids, he will take them for a ride as much as possible. :shy:

• Like 2