The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hanna Wolowitz

7 THINGS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT TBBT

1. Sheldon and Leonard, originally Lenny and Kenny, were named after the actor, writer and TV producer Sheldon Leonard.

2. The first pilot would show a nasty Penny, who mistreated the boys and wasn't nice at all. "The audience, overprotective of the geeks with the great hearts, would detest this character living so close to them", said Chuck Lorre. CBS changed it and you know the rest...

3. Kaley Cuoco, the actress who plays Penny, calls her scenes with Sheldon "Shenny" (because Peldon would sound really bad).

4. Chuck's rule to create episodes is K.I.S.S. -> Keep It Simple, Stupid! The idea is to keep the stories as simple as possible, without going over the top and turning The Big Bang Theory into something boring - Oh! we wouldn't want that! - It's been working!

5. Bill Prady is a nerd himself (he used to earn his money fixing compuers) and wanted to make a sitcom based on his daily basis. To do so, he was helped by Chuck Lorre, who was his long-time friend. "I knew a guy who was a human calculator. He solved complicated math problems quicker than a calculator. This guy was my inspiration to create Sheldon", said the writer.

6. Jim Parson got Sheldon's part on the first audition. He left the producers mesmerized with his looks. The producers said that he was exactly what they imagined and the way he talks like he's superior was just...uh!

7. The show was gonna be called "Lenny, Penny and Kenny". We're all happy it didn't happen!

Hope you liked it... feel free to comment! :)

Wasn't the Penny character named something different in the unseen pilot?

I don't think so... the show was gonna be called "Lenny, Penny and Kenny" so I think her name was the one that didn't change...

Hey, no problem. If you love trivial facts about TBBT, you really need to take a ramble through the wiki. It's quite amazing the tiny details and odd facts that we've accumulated and placed on those pages.

Steve

The Wiki

I actually saw that original pilot,or part of it anyway.They were right that "Katie"

character would not have worked.

Is it on line anywhere? I would love to see it.

I actually saw that original pilot,or part of it anyway.They were right that "Katie"

character would not have worked.

Is it on line anywhere? I would love to see it.

Me too!

I haven't been able to find the whole thing. On the wiki page for the unseen original pilot (which I listed above), there's a link to one scene. That will at least give you an idea.

Steve

The Wiki

Thanks Steve. I saw the clip. While it did have some funny moments I do think changing the female character to someone more sympathetic to the geniuses was the right move.

You know, in a different situation having the actress back and doing that scene as part of one episode wouldn't be a bad idea because it is funny.

Thanks for the unaired clip (but its from episode two of Season one) it was really funny, but I still prefer the other version (the Sheldon-brokes-into-Pennys-apartment-in-the-middle-of-the-night-and-cleaned-it).

Many of the jokes/gags which turned up in the early first season episodes originally appeared in the unaired first pilot, including the "light saber in the middle of the night" gag.

I would love to see the entire unaired pilot. Maybe someday we'll get lucky and it will turn up as an extra on one of the DVD collections.

Two other bits of trivia:

- The guy who plays Stuart originally auditioned for the part of Howard.

- The girl who plays the prostitute in The Vegas Renormalization was briefly cast as Penny.

Steve

The Wiki

Here's something you might not know about the show:

at the end of each episode, right after credits have rolled, there is a small written note from the writer(s)

-you have to pause your DVD there, because it is there only about second.

The notes are humorous and philosophical. mind you, some are clearly written at two o'clock in the morning, with a bottle of strong beverage, so...

-well, let us just say that some of these notes might lower your wiew about the writers and their cerebral abilities.

But still, check them out if you like!

Each of those "vanity cards" are linked in the wiki and this site's episode guides to the specific episode page. We link to Chuck Lorre's website, where he has the full set posted.

Steve

The Wiki

7. The show was gonna be called "Lenny, Penny and Kenny". We're all happy it didn't happen!

We are DEFINITELY very happy it didn't happen :icon_eek::D

Two other bits of trivia:

- The guy who plays Stuart originally auditioned for the part of Howard.

- The girl who plays the prostitute in The Vegas Renormalization was briefly cast as Penny.

Steve

The Wiki

And we are also extremely happy that Simon Helberg plays Howard, because he is simply perfect in that role :icon_cheesygrin:. And Kaley Cuoco as Penny, of course :)