924 'The Convergence Convergence' (May 12)

8 hours ago, 5Mississippis said:

And I'm wondering why they wrote that 'Alfred is broke'. A throw away line so Bev can have one last slice at total emasculation?  Nobody wants Leonard and Penny out of 4A quicker than me but ... do you think that Lenny will need to put Alfred up in 4B? I'd be good with that!

It is interesting that with an extra room they did not put anyone up in it.

edit

perhaps that is coming up when Penny's family arrives.

Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 2

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought it was the funniest episode for a LONG time. While I love the relationships as much as the next guy and am so happy to see Lenny in such a good place leading into Season 10, my primary reason

really loved this episode!! I had such low expectations for it tbh, I thought Howardette/Raj military storyline would be dull, but I really liked it!  And Beverly / Mary were amazing as always

This episode was definitely the funniest for me in a while. The guests really made it and stole the show. Loved the Lenny sweetness. Loved the girls making plans and Amy being overeager to be MoH

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

It is interesting that with an extra room they did not put anyone up in it.

They could have put  Alfred in 4a and Lenny in 4b.

Finally some comedy. I have missed that. I'm happy that most of us have enjoyed it after last year's finale. Great guests. For me this and the Open night are season's best episodes.

• Like 3

Loved the episode. Great, entertaining, funny season finale with a non-dramatic cliffhanger. 

The guest stars definitely stole the show. 

Did anyone else get a Friends flashback watching Alfred and Beverly? Chandler's parents, anyone?

Charles: Aren't you a little old to be wearing a dress like that?

Nora: Don't you have a little too much penis to be wearing a dress like that?

Chandler: Oh my God. 

Is it weird that I kinda want Alfred and Bev to get back together? I'm with 5Mississippis, I actually felt for Bev, which I never ever thought I'd say. With her being jealous (?) and her actually wanting to see her son's wedding, I'm starting to kinda... like her? Sort of? I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I'm just gonna go with it. 

I gotta say, as someone who previously wanted Penny to beat Bev to death with frozen fish, I'm starting to warm up to how she's handling the whole situation. This bit in particular was really wonderful:

Bernadette: It's really sweet of you to go through all this trouble for Leonard's mother. 
Penny: I'm also doing it for Leonard. I think this could really help their relationship. 

She's trying to finally mend their relationship and bring them closer together. I think as much as someone on the outside would probably advise Leonard to cut Bev out of his life, I think Penny knows that deep down - no matter how much Leonard is frustrated by his mom - he still longs for a good relationship with her. She's trying to make that happen for him. I've said this before, but IMO Penny is the most romantic when she's not trying to be. Leonard and Penny are in the same boat now. 

Beverly: Penny, I hope the example of my failed marriage to Leonard's father doesn't discourage you from the commitment you've made to one another.

Penny: Of course not.

Beverly: Although Alfred and I had a lot more going for us than you two.

Leonard: Mom, please save something for the toast. 

Penny: <laughs>

I'm loving this big weird ass Hofstadter family. And we haven't even met the rest of Penny's family yet!

Can. Not. Wait.

And I loooooove Alfred. What a sweet, lovable gentleman he is. Kudos to Johnny for suggesting Judd for the role. He is perfect. 

I'm hoping the whole Alfred/Mary thing is just a fling. I wasn't feeling their chemistry, to be honest. 

What else? Oh! Loved the girl talk at the beginning.

And Sheldon won major points for inviting Robert Downey Jr. to Lenny's wedding. My inner Tony Stark fangirl thanks you. And why wouldn't RDJ be at the wedding? Ha!

A+ for this episode. 

Edited by No Regrets
  • Like 8

Nicely said throughout No Regrets!  Agree with it all!

(From No Regrets:)

"Bernadette: It's really sweet of you to go through all this trouble for Leonard's mother. 
Penny: I'm also doing it for Leonard. I think this could really help their relationship. "

This is the sort of thing you women do for us and we don't even know it.  Sort of fix things for us.  Lovely that Penny wants for Leonard to have a better/nearly normal relationship with Beverly.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Tensor said:

Where was Alfred miffed with Leonard?  As they were climbing the stairs, after Leonard said Penny was looking forward to seeing him. Alfred said "Ahhhhh, she's a sweetie, you got a good one there Leonard."  Then asked, "How the hell did you do that?" In some astonishment.  At the restaurant Alfred said he was so happy Leonard found a woman that loves and cares for him."  At no time did Alfred display anything close to being annoyed about Penny and Leonard. 

I'm just saying that every new character we meet is surprised that Leonard is with a girl "outside his league". It's gotten redundant and it felt like a lazy line to give to his father.

7 minutes ago, Shelldon said:

......That's not even what I said. Please think before you reply next time. Nothing about my post insinuated Leonard's dad was fed up with PennyxLeonard. I'm just saying that every new character we meet is surprised that Leonard is with a girl "outside his league". It's gotten redundant and it felt like a lazy line to give to his father.

"So we have an annoying cold stereotypical atheist, an overly religious stereotype with an even worse personality, and an agnostic man. This all is essentially a love triangle. The chemistry between Mary and Alfred was not there, and Alfred was kind of a boring man. Would've preferred a Leonard/dad growth plot or something, instead of one scene where he comments on how miffed he is that his son is with Penny. Get it? Hot blonde and nerd. #StillZany #2016"

Not to but in (well I guess I have) and I mean no disrespect, but I think Tensor focused (as did I) on the word miffed.     To many miffed means annoyed or angry.  I think your meaing is that he was impressed?  I think that is where Tensor was coming from (and not that I need to defend/explain for him---just looking to clarify.....).  Let me know.... 

Edited by hokie3457

3 minutes ago, Shelldon said:

Nothing about my post insinuated Leonard's dad was fed up with PennyxLeonard.

Yes, it did.  To quote you "instead of one scene where he comments on how miffed he is that his son is with Penny."

Definitions for miffed (this is the Cambridge dictionary, feel free to look up others, all have the same meanings) are annoyed, angered, upset, etc.  There is no indication that Leonard's dad was any of those things.  Surprised?  Yes.  Puzzled? I can see it.  Astonished?  Quite likely from his tone.  But no indication of annoyed, angered or upset.  

3 minutes ago, Shelldon said:

I'm just saying that every new character we meet is surprised that Leonard is with a girl "outside his league". It's gotten redundant and it felt like a lazy line to give to his father.

If you would have said this, I wouldn't have responded.  But you used the word miffed for his father's mood.  There was no indication Alfred was miffed.  

• Like 1

I sort of took it that Alfred was astonished and proud of Leonard to find some one like Penny, who was a beautiful person and really loved him.  I based that interpretation on all during the episode I got the feeling that Alfred had a genuine affection for his son.

• Like 4

Love the episode but what killed it for me was penny saying you invited your mom and who ever the other person was to our wedding. Is she marrying Sheldon or Leonard? This three is a company/marriage thing is so wrong in a lot of ways, it's beyond me how the writers or ppls think it funny. Sorry who says that. Felt like implinying S/P wedding and in front of Amy. Not funny. You say my wedding or Leonard & my wedding. Really, is that suppose to be funny cause I didn't find it funny or is it an American thing and I missed the meaning. Apart from that, love it and just goes to show you can have episodes not based on Sheldon and ppls will love it and lol.. Best episodes for me in a long while apart from that BS

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Love the episode but what killed it for me was penny saying you invited your mom and who ever the other person was to our wedding. Is she marrying Sheldon or Leonard? This three is a company/marriage thing is so wrong in a lot of ways, it's beyond me how the writers or ppls think it funny. Sorry who says that. Felt like implinying S/P wedding and in front of Amy. Not funny. You say my wedding or Leonard & my wedding. Really, is that suppose to be funny cause I didn't find it funny or is it an American thing and I missed the meaning. Apart from that, love it and just goes to show you can have episodes not based on Sheldon and ppls will love it and lol.. Best episodes for me in a long while apart from that BS

Penny was taken back it seemed that Sheldon invited his Mom. I would think even its a small wedding Sheldon would be the best man. Him inviting his mother wasn't that surprising.

• Like 4

Penny was taken back it seemed that Sheldon invited his Mom. I would think even its a small wedding Sheldon would be the best man. Him inviting his mother wasn't that surprising.

Your missing the point. OUR WEDDING and Sheldon agreeing. I get the taken aback thing from Penny but not the back and forth OUR WEDDING!

30 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Maybe I misunderstand you Tonstar, but when Penny said "our wedding" to Sheldon, I took it as she meant the our as her and Leonard, not her and Sheldon....

• Like 5

1 minute ago, hokie3457 said:

Maybe I misunderstand you Tonstar, but when Penny said "our wedding" to Sheldon, I took it as she meant the our as her and Leonard, not her and Sheldon....

That's the way I took it also Hokie.  Like Penny was surprised that Sheldon was inviting people to Leonard and Penny's wedding, although I don't know why she would be surprise Sheldon would do something like that.  

• Like 5

Penny meant hers and Leonard's wedding. Sheldon is unhealthily attached to them (not that they're any better) and the writers played with the phrasing to create the joke.

• Like 3

Well why didn't she just say that. To me the our wedding joke was not funny but the implying was there. Thats my point. I know she meant L/P wedding.

Ahhh.  Yes I forgot that Sheldon answered something like "yes.  Our wedding.", but that was him, not Penny.  She and Leonard did let it slide though.....Anything in the name of comedy I guess....

• Like 4

Penny meant hers and Leonard's wedding. Sheldon is unhealthily attached to them (not that they're any better) and the writers played with the phrasing to create the joke.

Like I said, didn't find it funny. Must be an American humor that I didn't get.

Just now, Tonstar17 said:

I know some are going to say Penny should have said something. But her not commenting made Sheldon look like a fool (IMO) and that made it funny.

Ahhh.  Yes I forgot that Sheldon answered something like "yes.  Our wedding.", but that was him, not Penny.  She and Leonard did let it slide though.....Anything in the name of comedy I guess....

Leonard wasn't there. It was Amy,bernie, penny and Sheldon. Penny was the one that let it slide or didn't get it.

I know some are going to say Penny should have said something. But her not commenting made Sheldon look like a fool (IMO) and that made it funny.

It looks to me penny was encouraging it.

• Like 1

Seriously? :shy:

It was obvious to me that Penny was just asking Sheldon why did you invite your mother to our (our as in Penny and Leonard's wedding re-do) it had no other meaning. Sheldon's mother came because the writers had the idea to play Mary/Bev/Alfred off each other and then the idea of a possible hook-up between Mary and Alfred. Mary does get along very well with Penny and Leonard as it's possible that Sheldon talked it through with Leonard and he was ok with her coming and that Penny didn't get the memo. Maybe she also came for other reasons off screen perhaps after the wedding like to catch up with Amy as well considering her son might one day end up getting engaged to her.

People will look for any excuse or find a stick to beat Sheldon with it seems. Sheldon Cooper wrecker of wedding re-do's and destroyer of lives. Jesus Christ.

This was a fun episode, with no major drama compared to last season so why create it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

That's the way I took it also Hokie.  Like Penny was surprised that Sheldon was inviting people to Leonard and Penny's wedding, although I don't know why she would be surprise Sheldon would do something like that.  

Yes, normally the bride and groom have the final say on the guest list for their wedding, but come on, this is Sheldon.  Penny knows he has boundary issues, and therefore let it drop.  I think it is perfectly appropriate for Mary to come to the wedding of her son's dearest friends.

The "Our Wedding" thing from Sheldon is exactly the place where most people would know they needed to draw a strong boundary, but everyone on the show has big problems with that. Howard and Bernie struggled to draw healthy boundaries around their newly married life with both Raj and Stuart. When they did they folded like cheap suits because their friends would give them puppy dog eyes and the sad sack routine. Penny and Leonard do the same with Sheldon. 

It's difficult because a sitcom needs to continue to put the characters in situations together, every sitcom is either based on a family, group of friends who are surrogate family, or pseudo-family, like at the office. Or shipwrecked on a tropical island! So friends on sitcoms become almost unnaturally close as compared to real life, and you have to fudge normal relationship boundaries to keep everyone together for the sake of the show. TV is always a scripted and warped reflection of real life - and there are certain trade offs viewers are willing to make to enjoy the show. We, the viewers, agree not to notice how much everyone hangs out together in slightly unrealistic ways (neighbors coming and going without knocking, for example) because we want to be spared any time-wasting details and we want to see the characters together. We'll buy into the TV/stage/movie shorthand. And I would, if only the show would stop pointing out how unhealthy the boundaries are. 

In the long run, I think there's a variety of issues here about boundaries anyway - first of all, if the two married couples are both going through boundary issues with their friends and their living arrangements, it gets old that much quicker. I've talked about that before, and I'd love to move on but the show seems unwilling. They even continually point it out and "hang a lamp" on the issues of Howardette/Raj/Stuart and Lenny/Sheldon, so you keep noticing it. and you keep noticing that both Howardette and Lenny keep folding, when you're cheering for them to have some spine and push forward some change. In the meantime, I'm curious what Amy thinks of it. If I was her, I'd want to push for my own relationship and life to advance, and clearly it won't with the given circumstances. I wouldn't pin that on Shenny being too close, though, but the complacency and and unwillingness to grow up by my boyfriend and his two married friends. Which is an issue they've tapped several times this year without having any intention of pulling the trigger on it, which is just one of many storylines teased but not executed in a meaningful way within the season. No, instead the story goes on guest stars who we'll be done with by 10.02. And then what, show? And then what will you do, when this distraction is behind you? Where are these characters going? Will you know by 10.03? 

Anyway, Sheldon's action was just an excuse to get Mary there. In the end, that's the purpose and no one was really going to argue about it. 

Nailed it. Love this post and so true to the point.. I'm going to bed with it. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonny83 said:
Seriously? :shy:

It was obvious to me that Penny was just asking Sheldon why did you invite your mother to our (our as in Penny and Leonard's wedding re-do) it had no other meaning. Sheldon's mother came because the writers had the idea to play Mary/Bev/Alfred off each other and then the idea of a possible hook-up between Mary and Alfred. Mary does get along very well with Penny and Leonard as it's possible that Sheldon talked it through with Leonard and he was ok with her coming and that Penny didn't get the memo. Maybe she also came for other reasons off screen perhaps after the wedding like to catch up with Amy as well considering her son might one day end up getting engaged to her.

People will look for any excuse or find a stick to beat Sheldon with it seems. Sheldon Cooper wrecker of wedding re-do's and destroyer of lives. Jesus Christ.

This was a fun episode, with no major drama compared to last season so why create it?

Missing the point or reading things differently a usual. Nothing to do with Mary. My point was the our wedding joke being S/P talking about them being getting married and didn't not think the back and forth was funny.

Edited by Tensor
Comment removed to comply with current rules.