924 'The Convergence Convergence' (May 12)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought it was the funniest episode for a LONG time. While I love the relationships as much as the next guy and am so happy to see Lenny in such a good place leading into Season 10, my primary reason

really loved this episode!! I had such low expectations for it tbh, I thought Howardette/Raj military storyline would be dull, but I really liked it!  And Beverly / Mary were amazing as always

This episode was definitely the funniest for me in a while. The guests really made it and stole the show. Loved the Lenny sweetness. Loved the girls making plans and Amy being overeager to be MoH

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

My point was the our wedding joke being S/P talking about them being getting married and didn't not think the back and forth was funny.

I'm a little bit confused, TBH. That was absolutely not the impression I got.

At first Penny asked Sheldon why he invited his mother to her wedding ceremony with Leonard. Then came Sheldon (as we know him) with his "our wedding", which to me just has the meaning, that he sees himself as an integral part of the whole event (and Lenny's relationship/marriage) and therefore has the right (according to his weird perception) to invite people as well.

It was obviously intended to be a joke. Nothing to get excited about, IMO. :wink:

Edited by luminous
  • Like 9

39 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Really. My issue was with the words our wedding and it turned into me apparently saying Mary should not be invited. . still no one has answered the question, is it an American saying. You say to someone your not marrying. Our wedding. Cause still don't get the joke really want to laugh cause I loved the episode apart from that bit I didn't get it and still don't.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, luminous said:
51 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:
My point was the our wedding joke being S/P talking about them being getting married and didn't not think the back and forth was funny.

I'm a little bit confused, TBH. That was absolutely not the impression I got.

At first Penny asked Sheldon why he invited his mother to her wedding ceremony with Leonard. Then came Sheldon (as we know him) with his "our wedding", which to me just has the meaning, that he saw himself as an integral part of the whole event. Sheldon + Leonard/Penny.

It was obviously intended to be a joke. Nothing to get excited about, IMO. :wink:

Yeah like I keep saying. Not funny penny is married to Leonard not Sheldon. Need to get rid of the old and get with the new. Lenny not a 3 way married and tptb implying that it is, don't like it.

Edited by Tensor
Comments removed to comply with forum rules.
  • Like 1

I believe Sheldon's "Our wedding" was similar to "The Occupation Recalibration" when he was talking about being part of their relationship.   In this case "Our wedding." is simply Sheldon adding himself to Leonard and Penny's wedding.  Penny's "Our wedding" is referring to her and Leonard's wedding.  

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Really. My issue was with the words our wedding and it turned into me apparently saying Mary should not be invited. still no one has answered the question, is it an American saying. You say to someone your not marrying. Our wedding. Cause still don't get the joke really want to laugh cause I loved the episode apart from that bit I didn't get it and still don't.

The joke is that "our wedding" means different things to Penny and Sheldon here. For Penny it's obvious that she means "our" as in "Leonard's and my wedding", while Sheldon always includes himself in this. Just like he naturally assumed he'd accompany them on their honeymoon. That is the joke. It's surely not the funniest joke (especially not since, well, when has explaining a joke ever made it funnier??) but it is what it is. A joke wasn't funny to you. It's okay. You don't have to love every joke, I don't either btw.

Edited by April
  • Like 9

When my son and his wife got married, I was paying for their wedding, and I certainly did refer to it as "our wedding" a number of times.  Meaning the wedding our family was having.  I was hosting it after all.  It was a wedding that I was involved with, and felt possessive of, and it does not have to mean a wedding where I am getting married myself.  I'm sure Sheldon feels very close to this wedding, even if he is neither the bride nor the groom.

Edited by Lady in Red
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lady in Red said:

I'm sure Sheldon feels very close to this wedding, even if he is neither the bride nor the groom.

Sheldon has, on various occasions, noted that he thinks he's more than close to the wedding, he thinks he's part of the relationship.   The Occupation Recalibration and The Separation Oscillation are two examples where it was obvious he thought he was part of their relationship.

• Like 4

Well my humor is British. And if that's funny. Yeah. Not. Penny should have corrected him when he said what he said. But yeah don't get American humour sometimes hence why I don't watch a lot of them. (American Sitcoms)

45 minutes ago, Tensor said:

I believe Sheldon's "Our wedding" was similar to "The Occupation Recalibration" when he was talking about being part of their relationship.   In this case "Our wedding." is simply Sheldon adding himself to Leonard and Penny's wedding.  Penny's "Our wedding" is referring to her and Leonard's wedding.  

And more recently in The Separation Oscillation.  Sheldon buy them tickets for a week end San Francisco as a wedding present, plans all the things they are going to do and say "We're going to have so much fun".

Got to admit Sheldon continually seeing himself as permanently entwined in Lenny's  relationship is so funny....so, so funny .

• Like 3

funny episode- the car scenes were great.

love the h/b/r , even better when they were driving to the dinner,

being followed by leonard.

great to see the parents, hope for pennys in the opener of 10

• Like 5

Penny meant hers and Leonard's wedding. Sheldon is unhealthily attached to them (not that they're any better) and the writers played with the phrasing to create the joke.

Like I said, didn't find it funny. Must be an American humor that I didn't get.

That's ok because i can't figure out why sheldon is considered funny most of time

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

It was a funny episode. But not the best episode IMO.  I agree with AV Club. It deserved a C+, nothing more. 

For me, The Opening Night Excitation is and will always be one of the best episodes of  season 9 . An unqualified A. I agree with Steve Molaro on that one 100%. I mean that objectively, not as a shipper.

Edited by serena_nyc1995
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, serena_nyc1995 said:

It was a funny episode. But not the best episode IMO.  I agree with AV Club. It deserved a C+, nothing more. 

For me, The Opening Night Excitation is and will always be one of the best episodes of  season 9 . An unqualified A. I agree with Steve Molaro on that one 100%. I mean that objectively, not as a shipper.

Of course the AV Club has a hard on for Shamy. I'm surprised it even got a C+. 

Edited by Tensor
Comment removed to comply with forum rules.
  • Like 4

Mary was so sweet to amy awww I LOVED IT!!:icon_cheesygrin:.

well, i agree with @Tonstar17, i didn't like Sheldon's "our wedding" line specially because amy was there. People can say it was "a joke" I'm sorry but i don't get it either, for a long time those "jokes" are repetitive and continually used, maybe because is the perfect way to describe what actually happens to sheldon and lenny; they are "actually" a weird "three people marriage", they're living together (to quote Molaro: otherwise the DNA of the show would change so much), sheldon planned a special honeymoon for them, sheldon is specially interested in learn about penny's likes and enjoys spend most of his time with them, Penny is specially interested in sheldon's quirkiness, she is now very supportive with him and she is so happy to share "their place" and leonard.. leonard is happy as long penny is with him.. and now Sheldon is inviting all the people (well, just his mom) he wants to attend "their" ceremony... it wouldn't be surprise to see on the next episode: penny and leonard along to sheldon renewing their votes (in klingon), you know, with sheldon standing up between leonard and penny holding hands, while amy is the maid of honor, but we can breathe safe, at the end there's nothing to be worried about, it would be just a "joke" because you know, it's "funny"... (at least molaro would be the happiest man on earth if that could happen, based on his last interviews and the way he was avoiding answer about the "shamy front" rejecting any possible progress for them in the "near future" and justifying why they can't/want address anything related with living arrangements, say a lot about what he really wants and what he will).

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, serena_nyc1995 said:

Seemed like they spent about half a season setting "Opening Night Excitation" up so it should have been great.

I'm so happy that we can hopefully avoid a summer of angst and table flipping. This was the most refreshing ep 24 since I came onto the forum during season 6. When is the last time we saw Penny laughing in the tag of ep 24? Sheldon and Leonard looked worried but actually it is not their problem for a change. How happy is that.

• Like 9

So I watched it again and will stand by what I originally said, I felt the episode lacked energy.  Again, this opinion has nothing to do with ships, it has to do with my overall impression about how the episode felt to me.  For a season finale (to me) it felt like it lacked spark.  Give this to me as a mid-year finale and pick up the story after a Christmas hiatus, I might feel differently, but to cap off a season, no.

From IGN, whose reviews are often shared by this site on Twitter and Facebook...

"The Big Bang theory has struggled a great deal in the last few months, so it's not surprising that Season 9 ends with a dull thud. There was nothing particularly bad about this episode. It certainly proved that Leonard and Sheldon's parents have more comedic potential together than as individual guest stars. But in terms of wrapping up Season 9's loose threads or celebrating the Leonard/Penny romance in a real, poignant way, this finale was pretty much a dud."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/13/the-big-bang-theory-the-convergence-convergence-review

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, vonmar said:

"But in terms of wrapping up Season 9's loose threads or celebrating the Leonard/Penny romance in a real, poignant way, this finale was pretty much a dud."

A TBBT season finale does not generally tie up loose ends. It generally hooks into the next season with unresolved stuff and wondering what's going to happen. That is exactly what we saw. Who's going to make it into 10.1, will we get to see more "family". Will Mary and Alfred be back or will they travel together to some exotic place like Indiana Jones? Will Beverly have a breakdown? Who can say....

• Like 6

To me it seems like most of the reviewers are shamy fans so if shamy isn't highlighted their reviews generally are rated so so espiodes and could have been better. Jmo

• Like 4

So I watched it again and will stand by what I originally said, I felt the episode lacked energy.  Again, this opinion has nothing to do with ships, it has to do with my overall impression about how the episode felt to me.  For a season finale (to me) it felt like it lacked spark.  Give this to me as a mid-year finale and pick up the story after a Christmas hiatus, I might feel differently, but to cap off a season, no.

From IGN, whose reviews are often shared by this site on Twitter and Facebook...

"The Big Bang theory has struggled a great deal in the last few months, so it's not surprising that Season 9 ends with a dull thud. There was nothing particularly bad about this episode. It certainly proved that Leonard and Sheldon's parents have more comedic potential together than as individual guest stars. But in terms of wrapping up Season 9's loose threads or celebrating the Leonard/Penny romance in a real, poignant way, this finale was pretty much a dud."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/13/the-big-bang-theory-the-convergence-convergence-review

Sounds like the reviewers would have been happier with a shamy plot instead

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

To me it seems like most of the reviewers are shamy fans so if shamy isn't highlighted their reviews generally are rated so so espiodes and could have been better. Jmo

I disagree...

From The AV Club regarding Lenny...

Having Leonard and Penny plan another wedding ceremony seems like a great opportunity to dig into the first year of their marriage and show just how far they’ve come and if they’ve managed to work out the issues that made the beginning of their marriage a little rocky. “The Convergence Convergence” never really gets into any areas of conflict though, and it doesn’t feel like the right decision. This season spent so much time focusing on Sheldon and Amy that, as a consequence, Leonard and Penny’s relationship was relegated to the backburner. It’s as if the show finally pulled the final trigger on the “will they or won’t they” storyline and then decided that no more emotional excavation was needed. It’s a shame because there’s real potential for intriguing dynamics within Leonard and Penny’s marriage, and the show would be well-served in exploring that shifting dynamic. After all, The Big Bang Theory showed it could do it with Sheldon and Amy, turning in some of its best episodes-long character work earlier this season.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/guest-stars-cant-liven-anticlimactic-finale-big-ba-236711

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Itwasdestined said:

Alfred was brilliant. Beverly was brilliant . Mary was brilliant. The episode was brilliant.

...and for me I got to see an actor who I enjoyed watching when I was a teen come and give a good funny performance in my current favorite sitcom. For me that's nice. I was not disappointed.

• Like 6

Alfred was brilliant. Beverly was brilliant . Mary was brilliant. The episode was brilliant.

...and for me I got to see an actor who I enjoyed watching when I was a teen come and give a good funny performance in my current favorite sitcom. For me that's nice. I was not disappointed.

Judd is brilliant. Taxi was brilliant. Loved Newhart as Proton. But would love to see Judd Hirsch become a regular guest star. Hope this ( and probably 10.1) is not the last we see him.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Sounds like the reviewers would have been happier with a shamy plot instead

What part of the review made you feel this way?

The part where the reviewer talked about shamy in s8/24 and the interest it created nothing about lenny maybe we will never agree but the things you highlighted could have been done during s9. The tptb decided to concentrated on sheldon instead

• Like 1