The Big Bang Theory Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tripper

924 'The Convergence Convergence' (May 12)

10 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

It seems to me little was developed about Alfred over the years. Just a few perceptions from a betrayed wife and a one time self proclaimed neglected son. Certainly Leonard and Beverly have different perceptions of Leonard's childhood so I would think Alfred's actual personality has been a mater of speculation.

Yeah we knew nothing about him really, only that he wasn't around much when Leonard was growing up (probably partly to do with the relationship with his wife but his chosen field must have had him going around the world a lot). When we first heard he was going to show up there was a lot of talk on here that his arrival was going to have a major shake up perhaps to the Lenny marriage itself or cause a change in the living arrangements. But that was just speculation as knew nothing about him really.

I liked the character and loved the interaction between himself and Lenny. Would definitely like to see more of him if it's possible in the future.

I did feel a bit sorry for Beverly honestly, I think deep down under that cold as ice exterior she strikes me as someone who is a lot more vulnerable than people believe. I do wonder if they will get back together again at some point, there must have been some spark between them in the first place. Maybe at the wedding re-do it turns out that Alfred and Mary didn't hook up and he and Beverly have a heart to heart and try again. I think Beverly will have to exhibit a pretty dramatic change for that to happen though.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

It seems to me little was developed about Alfred over the years. Just a few perceptions from a betrayed wife and a one time self proclaimed neglected son. Certainly Leonard and Beverly have different perceptions of Leonard's childhood so I would think Alfred's actual personality has been a mater of speculation.

Exactly, all we know about Alfred, until 9.24, was third hand information from his bitter divorced wife and his damaged son.  Even Leonard's information was mixed, at first saying the man kept away and spent more time with his work, to now change to a man who is much happier now that he has broken ties with Beverly, like he told Penny before his father arrived.

We now as viewers get to see Alfred in the flesh ( in 9.24) and get to see him first hand so as you can see we really get to see the actual character for the first time. Therefore the character should be judged on how we see him and not how others perceived him in previous episodes because their discriptions of him were clouded by their emotions.

• Like 2

I enjoyed the episode, but I didn't like the implication that Mary may have hooked up with Alfred.

Because they've made so much of a deal about Mary's beliefs and all that over the years, I kind of dislike the way they've kind of taken her down this path.

What happened to, "There's no alcohol in this house..." Mary?  She was drinking wine all night long and then apparently goes off to sleep with a man she just met.  Makes me a little sad.  I know that they've always given Mary a little edge along with her strict beliefs, but I hope they don't go that far and that there's a different explanation in the season opener.

But I did enjoy it overall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phantagrae said:

I enjoyed the episode, but I didn't like the implication that Mary may have hooked up with Alfred.

Because they've made so much of a deal about Mary's beliefs and all that over the years, I kind of dislike the way they've kind of taken her down this path.

What happened to, "There's no alcohol in this house..." Mary?  She was drinking wine all night long and then apparently goes off to sleep with a man she just met.  Makes me a little sad.  I know that they've always given Mary a little edge along with her strict beliefs, but I hope they don't go that far and that there's a different explanation in the season opener.

But I did enjoy it overall.

Yeah but they already sent her down that path when Sheldon saw her making whoopee that time him and Howard decided to make a surprise visit.

• Like 4

Christian's cant get laid lol? Besides I guess they already made this part of Mary's character cannon in a previous episode. I have yet to see the episode. It airs here Wednesday. So I  well reserve judgement. Read the taping though. Sounds like a fun, light hearted episode though. 

• Like 2

Hard to say where the writers will take this for sure. They could go the route of the parents being indignant that everyone jumps to conclusions. Just saying we don't know.

• Like 1

My money is on them not hooking up, but we probably won't find that out straight away as the comedic material of Leonard and Sheldon freaking out might be too much to pass up.

Even if they did hook up it might have been just a one time thing, and not go any further. Molaro was asked in interviews about the prospect of Leonard and Sheldon possibly becoming step brothers if the relationship between Alfred and Mary developed into something more and he kind of downplayed that. He said they are already kind of like brothers in a way, so a Alfred/Mary union wouldn't change much if anything.

Edited by Jonny83
  • Like 6

I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread or the episode one, but this comment is more of a general observation than an episode one.

Leonard's father's characterization makes no sense to me.  Leonard has done a lot of complaining about his cold and loveless upbringing.  Now we are introduced to his father who is: strong willed, warm and apparently has a good relationship with Leonard.  Now am I to believe that Beverly was just evil, and he had a nice dad?  Or am I supposed to believe that Alfred blossomed after he escaped Beverly's iron fist? 

The whole thing doesn't jive with what Leonard's said in the past about his upbringing.  His father borrowed his hugging machine.  Why didn't he hug his children? - seems kind of cold.  He was jealous of the Etruscan boy, i.e. his father paid little attention to him.  Christmas Essays - I guess his dad was ok with that?  Both parents agreed to sex only for procreation and wrote papers about it at Princeton.  He was game for this plan, so it sounds like he was a bit cold and analytical himself.

Why would Leonard be so insecure and eager for validation if he had one warm and supportive parent?

It would have made more sense to me if his father was portrayed as equally difficult, but in a different way.  Perhaps frustrating by constantly being lost in academia and not interested in the world and people around him. 

• Like 6

Yeah we knew nothing about him really, only that he wasn't around much when Leonard was growing up (probably partly to do with the relationship with his wife but his chosen field must have had him going around the world a lot). When we first heard he was going to show up there was a lot of talk on here that his arrival was going to have a major shake up perhaps to the Lenny marriage itself or cause a change in the living arrangements. But that was just speculation as knew nothing about him really.

I liked the character and loved the interaction between himself and Lenny. Would definitely like to see more of him if it's possible in the future.

I did feel a bit sorry for Beverly honestly, I think deep down under that cold as ice exterior she strikes me as someone who is a lot more vulnerable than people believe. I do wonder if they will get back together again at some point, there must have been some spark between them in the first place. Maybe at the wedding re-do it turns out that Alfred and Mary didn't hook up and he and Beverly have a heart to heart and try again. I think Beverly will have to exhibit a pretty dramatic change for that to happen though.

Even if Beverly is vulnerable, I really don't care.

She is mean and abusive towards Leonard.

She is insulting and hurting people around her all the time.

I think she has no rights to complain about anyone beeing rude. Seriously.

She is a psycho.

• Like 3

I finally got a chance to watch the episode.  It was a good episode overall, didn't feel like finale material, but oh well.  I think it had potential to be finale material, if they ramped up the action up to the point of the wedding and then stopped there...to be continued...but didn't.  It'll be interesting to see how the whole wedding will play out.

I really thought Beverly stole the show.  It was the first time I saw the raw emotion of pain come out of her.  First yelling at Leonard for inviting his father.  She seemed so upset, and hurt, and she mentioned again how he cheated on her. She lost her composure, so it's obvious this hurt her quite badly, but she's been keeping it in.  It kept bubbling out of her in her snaps back at Alfred.  She was great.  Even when they were all sitting on the couch in uncomfortable silence, Beverly stands out with her cool indifference.  By far, Christine Baranski is my favourite regular guest star.

Alfred was ok.  Judd Hirsh was well cast as Leonard's father I think.  I mentioned a few posts up that I thought his character would be entirely different given Leonard's remarks about being basically ignored by his father and never mentioning him until S9 of the show.  I guess they are rewriting history again a bit.  I don't like that the bad parenting falls on Beverly's shoulders entirely.  If Alfred was a good father, he would have stood up to Beverly if he thought she was mistreating the children.  I can't believe that he's been "away for work" the entirety of Leonard's childhood.   They both should share some of the blame.  Beverly for being hypercritical, and Alfred for being too passive to do anything but think of himself. I wonder if Leonard sees that?   I hope that maybe in S10 this whole hookup will bring Leonard and Beverly closer together....in their weird dysfunctional way.

Overall, I thought the episode was funny.  I laughed.  I loved the awkward tensions at 4A, and then at the restaurant.  I loved the guys getting paranoid about being watched...and then Bernie eventually joining in.  Loved that Penny was hoping to heal the relationship with Leonard and his mother, that she was so happy to see his dad.  It shows that she does really care about Leonard.  The toast the Leonard made was quite sweet.

Didn't like Mary so much.  They are dumbing her down.  She used to be much sharper with her tongue and witty.  She seems like a caricature of her former self.  Shamy....don't get me started.  While drama free, didn't like the "dumb childlike Sheldon" and "mom Amy" roles they put them in.  Ugh!  Big UGH!  I did like that Mary seems fond of Amy though.  I hope in S10 they get away from making Sheldon so infantile and Eeyore Amy.

Happy summer hiatus everyone!  When is the next Battle Royale? = )

• Like 3

On 5/16/2016 at 2:45 AM, phantagrae said:

True. If she's hooked up with Alfred, that's two men she's had sex with, outside of marriage, which makes her quite a hypocrite.

From The Zazzy Substitution:-

Mrs Cooper: Did they sin?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

True. If she's hooked up with Alfred, that's two men she's had sex with, outside of marriage, which makes her quite a hypocrite.

From The Zazzy Substitution:-

Mrs Cooper: Did they sin?

I assume her response would be similar to when Sheldon caught her with that man that nobody is perfect, life is a constant battle against temptation and she will have to pray for forgiveness.

She's always come across to me as someone who isn't as devout as she first appears. If she was that devout wouldn't she have mentioned something about Sheldon and Amy which she will have heard from her mother?

• Like 2

...I always wonder what the end result of Mary's visit with Dr. Gablehauser was. That was some hard flirting going on.  Anyone have thoughts????

Edited by hokie3457
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jonny83 said:

If she was that devout wouldn't she have mentioned something about Sheldon and Amy which she will have heard from her mother?

Firstly, maybe Neemaw hasn't told her.

Secondly, maybe she's realized that, judging Sheldon and Amy would be incredibly hypocritical.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Firstly, maybe Neemaw hasn't told her.

Secondly, maybe she's realized that, judging Sheldon and Amy would be incredibly hypocritical.

It's possible but I strongly suspect she would have told her. Your second point is also possible but I suspect his mother who clearly loves him and probably never thought he would find anyone to be with would give him some major leeway. She would probably never criticize Sheldon on that front but then she will without his knowing pray for him a bit more lol

But then like I said I don't think she practices what she preaches a lot of the time. She's deeply religious but not infallible.

Edited by Jonny83
  • Like 2

I just loved the part where Beverly and Alfred greeted each other. I knew she had emotions, but to finally see them expressed made it a terrific moment.

• Like 2

On 16/05/2016 at 4:26 AM, 3ku11 said:

Christian's cant get laid lol? Besides I guess they already made this part of Mary's character cannon in a previous episode. I have yet to see the episode. It airs here Wednesday. So I  well reserve judgement. Read the taping though. Sounds like a fun, light hearted episode though. 

Certainly Christians can't get laid. Not outside marriage anyway. Neither,according to Mayim's Groknation site can Jews. Sikhs,Hindus and Muslims can't either, from what they tell me. In Sitcomland it's different, however. The only avowed atheist among 'the guys' has kept his pants on the longest. :) The most openly religious of the whole cast says when she was young anybody could have had her for a car ride and a bottle of wine.

On Tuesday will they show this episode in Sweden. I´m really excited to see if it´s so good as it looks like.

• Like 5

I just watched the episode, yeah I know lol. The thing with BBT these days. Is you need to suspend your disbelif. The show is so different these days. It is a completly different show to what it was years ago. In every defintion of the word. It is not hot girl four nerds. The nerd has won the girl, and they are now married. It is really a show about Young Student Professionals now. The premise has shifted. If you accept BBT is different now, you well enjoy it. As I did. Thought Bev was the star of the show. Really showed her vulnrability. And while she is cruel to Leonard, your seeing her insecurities now. The fact she did an outburst, shows she is aware of her abuse of Leonard. I wonder if she had a similar parent? While they have not shed alot of light on Alfred. I thought the casting was perfect. He kinda looks like an older Leonard :D. My fav scene of the finalie had to be the opener with LEnny. That was old Lenny. No cattiness or angst. Just some light hearted banter. YOu can tel Johnny and Kaley are just so in sych with each other. Johnny looks like he has lost weight too, which is good. I thought Howard and Raj was great. And Bernadette the scene stealer lol. All in all one of the better episodes BBT has done in a while, it was light hearted and fluffy, which is what it shiuld always be. I am presuming S10, well be Lennys re do wedding. The one thing I truely love about this show is Lenny. Compared to Friends, That 70's show, HIMYM. It is so refreshing to see the main couple married and in love. Opposed to the whole well they or won't they, and dragging it out. It is so refreshing to ee. As For Shamy is it just me but did they make Amy play the maternal role. The way she was like play with your phone. It was almost like Amy was his mother. I do like Shamy, so sometimes it feels they are not equals when they do that. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 2

I thought it was a pretty good episode. It was cool to see Leonard's dad for the first time. That was long overdue. Leonard's and Sheldon's moms were also really funny and definitely stole the show a couple of times. Its fun to see them interact. 

Howard and Raj also had funny moments as well. 

I wonder what they're gonna do with the guidance system invention storyline next season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thephantom said:

I wonder what they're gonna do with the guidance system invention storyline next season

It's a boring scientific story-line that they IMO can't drop because of the whole Howard needs the money for the baby plot. I would assume therefore it's probably going to make some money at some point and probably in Season 10.

Maybe Elon Musk's company invests in it? Howard met him at that kitchen place for thanksgiving, and he does own a space transportation company or something along those lines. Maybe he thinks he can use the device in their rocket technology.

Can't just make them millionaires though lol

Edited by Jonny83
  • Like 1

Just rewatched the episode. A little thing I noticed in opening scene of the finalie with Lenny. Was the little photos they have, that really screams were married. The prom photo portrait. Then you have the best finance ever photo, when Leonard bought her a car. Like that little continuity. The Decoration really adds to the depth of a scene. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 3

Mary Cooper's moral standards, certainly  do swing wildly.

She was against sex outside marriage, then she was having sex all over her living room, with a man she wasn't married to.

Now, despite being massively anti-alcohol, she's guzzling wine.

• Like 1