924 'The Convergence Convergence' (May 12)

21 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Mary Cooper's moral standards, certainly  do swing wildly.

She was against sex outside marriage, then she was having sex all over her living room, with a man she wasn't married to.

Now, despite being massively anti-alcohol, she's guzzling wine.

Well she's a character with layers just say that . Yes she's a Christian. But she's also a widower who has needs. I'm not saying in cannon that's some kinda justification. I'm just saying, she's only human. 

• Like 1

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought it was the funniest episode for a LONG time. While I love the relationships as much as the next guy and am so happy to see Lenny in such a good place leading into Season 10, my primary reason

really loved this episode!! I had such low expectations for it tbh, I thought Howardette/Raj military storyline would be dull, but I really liked it!  And Beverly / Mary were amazing as always

This episode was definitely the funniest for me in a while. The guests really made it and stole the show. Loved the Lenny sweetness. Loved the girls making plans and Amy being overeager to be MoH

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

Well she's a character with layers just say that . Yes she's a Christian. But she's also a widower who has needs. I'm not saying in cannon that's some kinda justification. I'm just saying, she's only human. 

Mary Cooper's opinions on sex are hilariously all over the map. Her personal urges have been evident from the get-go with her extreme flirting with Dr. Gablehauser (her reply to Sheldon's question of whether he would be his new daddy was laugh-out-loud funny in its vagueness ). She likes men and the cat and mouse game of flirting. We've seen it twice in the 10 episodes she has appeared in.  She is one of the best recurring characters. Her ability to handle her son should be a textbook for his friends.

• Like 4

Not forgetting the alcohol.

She won't have alcohol in the house, yet, when she was young, your could have had her for "a car ride and a bottle of strawberry wine."

Now, in this episode, she's drinking wine.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

She won't have alcohol in the house, yet, when she was young, your could have had her for "a car ride and a bottle of strawberry wine."

Now, in this episode, she drinking wine.

Alot of Christians I know Drink Alcahol. Not a big deal, its a comedy, its all exagerrated. 

• Like 1

It just adds to the comedy. Yes, she's a devout Christian. The juxtaposition of this fact and some of the things we see in her episodes are what brings life and a lot of laughter to her character. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Now, in this episode, she drinking wine.

I think that was probably more related to George Sr.'s alcohol problems rather than Mary's personal tastes. I don't know if they ever outright said he was an alcoholic but many many comments over the years certainly point that way. Add to that the explosive nature of their marriage with frequent fights and all that you have your answer to this apparent contradiction.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, April said:

I think that was probably more related to George Sr.'s alcohol problems rather than Mary's personal tastes. I don't know if they ever outright said he was an alcoholic but many many comments over the years certainly point that way. Add to that the explosive nature of their marriage with frequent fights and all that you have your answer to this apparent contradiction.

I do remember Sheldon saying, His Father used to be explosive. Argumentave with Mary. Said something on the lines, of you know whats Scaring Sheldon, the fact you called him Sheldon! haha. Referenced, from the Guitar Amplification. I think seeing its a comedy, thats where the contradictions lie. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

A lot of Christians I know Drink Alcohol.

True, but she was dead against it in the The Electric Can Opener Fluctuation:-

Mrs Cooper: Can I… Can I get you something to drink?

Leonard: Uh, no, thank you.

Howard: If y’all don’t mind, I got a hankerin’ for a Lone Star beer.

Mrs Cooper: There’s no alcohol in this household. Stop talking like that and lose the hat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Mary Cooper's moral standards, certainly  do swing wildly.

She was against sex outside marriage, then she was having sex all over her living room, with a man she wasn't married to.

Now, despite being massively anti-alcohol, she's guzzling wine.

Indeed she's hypocritical these days when it comes to sexual morality. Sheldon challenged Mary on her sexual behaviour when he found out about it and I was glad the PTB made sure he did that. Her explanation of 'I'm not perfect' I didn't think was good enough, especially considering she brought her children up with Christian values and this is one of the most fundamental. She referred to her other son's girlfriend as 'That whore your brother's datin''. Even though Sheldon is an atheist, he's referred to his Christian background several times as a strong influence in his life.

Mary once said something like, 'When a couple lie together they are married in the sight of the Lord'. I think she's made that up, perhaps to suit herself.  ( Or possibly it's a local tradition that may have something to do with American pioneering wild west history and intermittent availability of clergy rather than anything she's heard from the pulpit ? ) It doesn't look as though she's followed that idea through with her lover from her Bible group.

Mary's never said she's anti-alcohol. We've seen her and her mother drinking socially. There's no Christian teaching against drinking. Some denominations have abstinence as a rule for their members for historical reasons of their own. I'd love to know which one Mary works for. Drunkenness and gluttony are forbidden though and if Mary's decided never to keep 'liquor' in the house since her boozy husband died it's understandable. Perhaps her husband's friends still visit and she wants to remove temptation ? :) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Also, in the Zazzy Substitution, she asked Leonard:-

Did they sin?

We all know the answer to that is 'eventually'. :) I wonder what Mary thinks about it ? ........ Assuming her mother's told her. Not that Mary's in any position to judge these days.

Edited by joyceraye
Correcting typo

Look in cannon we all know this show sucks at continuity. Your right Mary is a hypocrite, she constantly goes againgst her beleifs. But you know its all about comedy. The Contradictions within her character, is where the hilarity lie. It is like with Bev, she is this horrible mother. Then only just last episode, you saw some human traits in her. When she responded to Alfreds You finnally found a women to love and take care of you. What the hell is that susposed to mean! I was tooken aback, wow Bev has emotions. I Think theirs some inner guilt their, that she treated Leonard poorly. She is a very clinical human being, so for Bev to respond in such a rash, and emotional way. I Think theirs some potential their. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2016 at 0:18 PM, SRAM said:

Big mistake by Penny in the opening when she said she never expected Leonard would be her second marriage, her first marriage with him was her second marriage, the redo is her third.

I think she meant tht her second marrage would be to Leonard. Shes technically been married three times, after the re do. So your right. I knew what she meant. Maybe she does not count the Zac one as a real wedding. So in her mind she has only been married once. So technically Leonard well be her second wedding. 

• Like 2

Her marriage to Zack doesn't count.  They had the marriage annulled, which means legally it never happened. Of course, legally, the redo doesn't count either. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tensor said:

Her marriage to Zack doesn't count.  They had the marriage annulled, which means legally it never happened. Of course, legally, the redo doesn't count either. 

Your right Tensor. Legally she is only been married once. So of course Zac does not count as it was annulled, so it was not legal, now void. So technically it well be Penny's second marrage. Although not a legal one. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

The marriage may not have happened (officially), but the wedding did.

Doesn't much matter about the wedding. Penny was talking about her marriages, not weddings.  but, legally, the wedding never happened. 

• Like 6

RE Mary Cooper's sex life: First off, she's a widow, so it's no one else's business. But apparently it's not that uncommon for Christian widows. This is from "The People of Paradise" by Tony Parker, a book of interviews with residents of a public housing estate in London published in 1985. One of the interviewees was a Christian widower who had never been unfaithful to his wife but had sex with many women of his own age after she died, most of whom he picked up at church:

"I've been lucky, there's any number of ladies around who're my age, widows or single, most of them.Most of them seem to feel the same way I do...I suppose there must be 12 or so ladies that we're on that kind of terms together. Most of them like myself belong to the church - it's a very good meeting place to come into contact with other people who're on their own. And if someone goes to church you know she's got what you call a level-headed approach to things; she's not going to be like somebody you might pick up casually in a pub. If I'm love-making with someone I prefer her to be a conventional sort of person like myself."

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

RE Mary Cooper's sex life: First off, she's a widow, so it's no one else's business.

It may be no one else's business, but she is a hypocrite.

Edited by Stephen Hawking
  • Like 1

Some argument about whether Penny was correct in the opening when she said she never expected Leonard would be her second marriage,  But the important point is that the line was brilliantly delivered by KC. Any other delivery would have have ruined it.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

It may be no one else's business, but she is a hypocrite.

It's a comedy. The contradictions within her character is what makes it funny, but that is jmo. 

7 hours ago, JohnPhD said:

Some argument about whether Penny was correct in the opening when she said she never expected Leonard would be her second marriage,  But the important point is that the line was brilliantly delivered by KC. Any other delivery would have have ruined it.

I agree, in terms of comedic timing Kaley is the best, or at very least the most underrated on tv today. As for her marrage line. WEll technically Penny was correct. Her marrage to Zac became void. So she only married Leonard, so from a legal stand point that is the only LEGAL wedding that counts. The re do as it is, won't be a legal ceremony. So she has only been married legally once. But technically it well be her 2nd marrage. 

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, JohnPhD said:

I thought Penny was more beautiful than ever in this ep - like the director asked KC to turn it up to 11 and she did (with due credit to makeup and wardrobe).

Yes, she looked absolutely stunning in this episode.

Image9.jpg

• Like 5

What I Was pleased about this episode. IS how Penny made it clear Leonard is the most important person in her world. You always know he is. But to see Penny wanting Leonard to fix his relationship with his Mother, Leonard's father really loving Penny. IT is almost like Leonard and Penny have created a family, they have wanted their whole lifes. 

• Like 3