[Spoilers] Season 9-10 Hiatus Thread

Tensor

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not entirely sure why some of you seem to think the stories are somehow contradicting each other. I don't see it as a "Johnny vs. Jim" story but rather as an "over time all the pieces just fell into place" kinda process.

I have no doubt that Lorre wanted to have Johnny on board in some fashion but I don't think that this automatically negates the story that they also auditioned other actors for Leonard with Jim after he killed his audition - even if it was just pro forma to appease some higher ups. From Lorre's interviews I didn't get the impression that he had complete free reign just because he had a hit show under his belt at that time. It surely made it easier to sell his new idea but I doubt that the people in charge were like "TAAHM shows you can do no wrong - do whatever you want!" Putting a new show together is a long process and a lot of this show hinges on the chemistry between Sheldon and Leonard so they had to nail that casting. As the story goes Johnny and Jim hit it off right away. But like with calling Jim back after his audition to check if that wasn't just a fluke they probably also wanted to check if Johnny was the right choice for Leonard.

We can only speculate what would have happened if Jim and Johnny didn't work as an on-screen duo. Would they have kept Jim because of his flawless audition and search for a new Leonard? Would they have kept Johnny because of his former working relationship with Lorre and search for a new Sheldon? Nobody knows - most likely not even Lorre himself because it never got to that point. Seeing how perfect they are for their roles I think Lorre is probably grateful that he never had to make that decision.

Or...Chuck Lorre saw Johnny as the perfect Sheldon (since he offered the role straight to him) but wasn't sure he could be Leonard, so he auditioned also other actors for the part and, of course, had to cast somebody else as Sheldon. Luckily for the show, the right actors landed the right roles...

Edited by mirs1

I think, after reading Lorre's, Johnny's and Jim's account of what happened, you can conclude the following.  Lorre contacted Johnny early on and offered him a part in his new sitcom. When Johnny learned that Lorre wanted him to be Sheldon, he asked to be Leonard, there is no evidence that Johnny cast for the part.  Jim, along with at least one other, cast for Sheldon and when Lorre thought he was good for Sheldon, they had him do an additional casting with Johnny, which worked out great and the rest is history.

On 17/07/2016 at 2:47 AM, 3ku11 said:

Back to my original point. The shows finalie should homage the pilot. Shamy's living arrangements well be a gray area by the end, and show is past its peak. 

How about this: The gang have gathered to watch the first episode of a new TV series about scientists' lives. Beforehand they're all very sceptical saying TV knows nothing about real-life scientists. When the show they've come to watch starts it is, of course, the pilot episode of TBBT. All jeer at how unrealistic it is, with particular emphasis on their own character. Sheldon says no scientist is that conceited, Penny jeers at the dumb blonde with the silly fringe, Howard says no engineer would dress like that, etc. After a short while they turn it off in disappointment. All agree "TV knows nothing about real people like us."

3 hours ago, SRAM said:

I think, after reading Lorre's, Johnny's and Jim's account of what happened, you can conclude the following.  Lorre contacted Johnny early on and offered him a part in his new sitcom. When Johnny learned that Lorre wanted him to be Sheldon, he asked to be Leonard, there is no evidence that Johnny cast for the part.  Jim, along with at least one other, cast for Sheldon and when Lorre thought he was good for Sheldon, they had him do an additional casting with Johnny, which worked out great and the rest is history.

Well the rest was not that easy. They made a pilot that failed except for Sheldon and Leonard. The rest of the cast was replaced and we got TBBT we know.

1 hour ago, djsurrey said:

Well the rest was not that easy. They made a pilot that failed except for Sheldon and Leonard. The rest of the cast was replaced and we got TBBT we know.

I sort of just meant Johnny and Jim and the characters they played.  When the pilot failed they were the core of the Phoenix that rose from the ashes.

7 minutes ago, SRAM said:

I sort of just meant Johnny and Jim and the characters they played.  When the pilot failed they were the core of the Phoenix that rose from the ashes.

....and in those flames was the character of Penny. Now Penny Hofstadter (any excuse To write/type her entire name...)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2016 at 6:09 AM, Stephen Hawking said:

And, ultimately, both characters have found love.

Yeah but that wasen't the point. Originally The character of Leonard had more interesting layers, of facing adversity. The whole point of Leonard was meeting Penny, falling in love e.t.c. Sheldon was never that. Until Amy, the show never planned on him finding love. They even said they had no plans for how long Amy stayed. Then Shamy became popular, so ultimately it turned out that way. 

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

The whole point of Leonard was meeting Penny.   Yeah but that wasen't the point. Originally The character of Leonard had more interesting layers, of facing adversity.

Since the character of Leonard was conceived before Penny was even thought of, how exactly does the whole point of Leonard meeting Penny come about?  I never saw any comment like that.  Can you point me to a article or interview that says that?  

1 hour ago, 3ku11 said:

They even said they had no plans for how long Amy stayed. Then Shamy became popular, so ultimately it turned out that way. 

I'm interesting in where you got this information, as  Amy was made part of the main cast eight episodes into a season that had ratings down 20% from the previous year(and she only appears in half of those eight)?    So exactly when did Shamy become so popular prior to them making her a main cast member and where is this information at?  

On 08/08/2016 at 5:14 AM, 3ku11 said:

Y Until Amy, the show never planned on him finding love. They even said they had no plans for how long Amy stayed. Then Shamy became popular, so ultimately it turned out that way. 

Ah, what might have been.