Blood tests?

Stephen Hawking

In Connecticut back in 1988, we had to take a blood test to get married.  I had to have mine done again because it was sent to a New Jersey lab that did not test for Rubella and CT required it. 

• Like 1

On May 15, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Stephen Hawking said:

What happens if you fail the blood test?

Do they prevent you getting married/having sex?

You can't get a marriage license. 

Married yes, until you get a clean test.  I don't see how they could stop you from having sex, unless they physically isolate you from each other.  Of which I've never heard anyone ever doing. 

I found this information about blood tests and marriage licenses: 

Marriage blood tests are virtually a thing of the past in today’s society. Years ago, a blood test was required when a marriage application was requested by a couple in order to make sure that neither party had a sexually transmitted disease or other potentially harmful disorder that could be transmitted to the other party during marital relations. Because of the questionable efficiency of blood tests in actually preventing the spread of sexually transmitted diseases, however, and because of the extra cost and hassle involved in monitoring and receiving the results of the test, most states have done away with the official requirement for a blood test prior to receiving a marriage license.

Do I Ever Need a Blood Test to Get a Marriage License?

This isn't to say that you'll never need a blood test. A lot depends on where you live, since there are a few states or areas of the country that still have an official requirement for a blood test prior to receiving a marriage license. These states include:

• The District of Columbia,
  • Georgia,
  • Indiana,
  • Massachusetts,
  • Montana, and
  • Oklahoma. 

What Will I be Tested For?

When a blood test is required, there are a variety of different things the test may be looking for. Some states require a blood test to check for venereal diseases, and a few also test for rubella (also known as German Measles, a disease that is very dangerous to fetuses). Tuberculosis, and sickle-cell anemia may also be identified on a pre-marital blood test. Due to the rise in HIV and AIDS, many states also now require that parties applying for a marital license must be offered an HIV test and/or must be provided with information on AIDS and tests available. Presently, however, no states requires a mandatory premarital HIV/AIDS test.

http://family-law.freeadvice.com/family-law/marriage/blood-test-marriage.htm 

5 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

What if it's something incurable, such as HIV?

That's a good question, and may be one of the reasons why there are very few states that require testing anymore.

4 hours ago, Tensor said:

That's a good question, and may be one of the reasons why there are very few states that require testing anymore.

I would concur with that.

Also, as I was informed many years ago, a state like Connecticut was considered a "Catholic" state which I would think was the reason for testing the women especially for Rubella since there was a high risk for birth defects.  Catholics at that time (have no clue about now) believed that procreation was basically the only reason for sex so such testing would be important. 

Times do change..

• Like 1

I would concur with that.

Also, as I was informed many years ago, a state like Connecticut was considered a "Catholic" state which I would think was the reason for testing the women especially for Rubella since there was a high risk for birth defects.  Catholics at that time (have no clue about now) believed that procreation was basically the only reason for sex so such testing would be important. 

Times do change..

^^^

Hey Kasey missed your posts and long time. Interesting topic. Never heard that a blood test is required to get a marriage license until now. Kinda make sense but old school, at least nowadays with most ppls can't keep it in there pants and the increase in sexual transmitted diseases on a high, I guess it would be a good thing as a precaution but I guess it's up to every individuals to have all those tests done on a regular basics not just for sexual transmitted diseases but also for any medical issues that they might not know about.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
On 5/20/2016 at 0:27 PM, Stephen Hawking said:

What if it's something incurable, such as HIV?

Some people are resistant to HIV due to a genetic mutation know as CCR5-Delta 32. If your great,  great,  great,  great grandmother was wooed by Vikings, you may have the mutation.

There have been unfounded reports of a cure. Either a cure or a vaccine is on the horizon. So, for the time being,  carry a public restroom kit when traveling.