To Go Out With A Big Bang

Kimberly Rose

I know fans always speculate about what they think should happen; and I've read posts about a wedding involving a certain genius and a certain bespectacled neuroscientist, with hair the color of mud...But even after the Shamy engaged in coitus, a wedding doesn't seem plausible. It is, of course, one of my biggest television dreams; but I think a more suitable ending would be if Howard got his Ph.D., and became one proud father-to-be, Bernadette had a healthy baby, Raj did the honorable thing and made a choice between Emily and Claire, and Penny got to see her brother. It would be interesting if Amy carried Sheldon's baby, for real this time. He could freak out and leave again, making her very anxious about raising the little one alone. He would return, of course, because he loves her (and we him). He could agree to help raise the kid, but still be too afraid of change to propose...
What are your thoughts?

4 hours ago, Kimberly Rose said:

a wedding doesn't seem plausible.

I feel like asking what does plausible have to do with it?

• Was it plausible that Sheldon would talk to Gollum about the ring he had for Amy just after she decided she needed a break in 8.24. 
  • Was it plausible that Raj would be in bed with Penny when Leonard was breaking up with Raj's sister?
  • Is it plausible that Penny and Leonard still live with Sheldon?
Edited by djsurrey
  • Like 1

I don't think it is plausible to have a Shamy wedding too. Those things were very different things. Just the nature of Shamy's relationship. i can see them just living together, but not actually being married. 

4 hours ago, djsurrey said:

I feel like asking what does plausible have to do with it?

• Was it plausible that Sheldon would talk to Gollum about the ring he had for Amy just after she decided she needed a break in 8.24. 
  • Was it plausible that Raj would be in bed with Penny when Leonard was breaking up with Raj's sister?
  • Is it plausible that Penny and Leonard still live with Sheldon?

Yes, all of that is plausible, because:

• Sheldon also believed a plastic figurine spoke to him. He's a little weird, remember?
  • Penny was single and drunk when she slept with (or tried to sleep with) Raj. Inebriation makes you do stuff you wouldn't normally do; and Penny's the biggest alcoholic I've ever seen.
  • Sheldon's afraid of change. They're still living with him because Sheldon agreed to Penny living there on a bi-monthly basis; and as frustrated as they get with him, he's their friend and they're taking his feelings into account.
8 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

...except he has a ring.

And when she discovered this, he also told her, "You just took my virginity; cool your jets."

• Like 1

I think Sheldon is too old fashioned to live with Amy without being married to her, or for having children outside the wedlock (as soon Penny reminded it that, he immediately gave up his idea of test-tube babies back in Season 4). Plus he already has a ring, audience haven't forgotten that, so I guess he will use it at some point. Not that I think they will get married anytime soon, for sure not the upcoming season (if it is not the last), but I think we'll see a Shamy wedding.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, 3ku11 said:

I don't think it is plausible to have a Shamy wedding too. Those things were very different things. Just the nature of Shamy's relationship. i can see them just living together, but not actually being married. 

If they do get engaged, I'll be happier than I've ever been. But, he was tempted to take off when Penny cut her hair. If that's too big a step, I don't see why he would propose. I think Sheldon's evolution is a good thing, but the fact that he had a ring, and the fact that they had sex, was really a big shock. It was totally out of character. That is what doesn't seem plausible, even after seeing it.

3 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

...I think we'll see a Shamy wedding.

Perhaps. She has changed him.

1 hour ago, Kimberly Rose said:

If they do get engaged, I'll be happier than I've ever been. But, he was tempted to take off when Penny cut her hair. If that's too big a step, I don't see why he would propose. I think Sheldon's evolution is a good thing, but the fact that he had a ring, and the fact that they had sex, was really a big shock. It was totally out of character. That is what doesn't seem plausible, even after seeing it.

Perhaps. She has changed him.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. Sheldon made huge progress after his train trip and then even another leap forward because of the breakup. The ILY2, Mars, the sleepover, the ring - it's all a very natural progression. Granted, the ring was a shocker but now that we know it's a family heirloom and he was still thinking about giving it to Amy (as opposed to: he went out to buy it himself and had concrete plans to propose on their anniversary, for example) it's a very plausible scenario and the ring as such symbolises his long term goals with Amy. So engagement and marriage are definitely on the table. It's just a question of time.

Also, you weren't here on the forum back then but I and many others saw the Shamy sex on the horizon because of the way he behaved during the breakup and the only thing that was surprising about this was that the writers finally got over themselves cause I thought he as a character was ready for quite some time already. I'll give you that going from friendship to back together to sex within 3 episodes is like switching to ludicrous speed for this ship but I don't think it was out of character at all with the way it was presented.

As for your initial idea of Sheldon freaking out about an unplanned pregnancy: I can see that to some extend (similar to when Howard found out about Bernie's pregnancy) but not to the point of him leaving again. Not after S8, not after his epiphany during the breakup, not with him having the ring. He may not be the perfect boyfriend at all times and his progress is still slow (and again, I think the writers are having more issues than the character as such) but the guy is all in when it comes to this relationship. The idea of leaving in a panic to the point of having Amy wonder if she should raise the kid alone? That sounds awful. Sorry.

Edited by April
  • Like 4

He's going to propose it's just a matter of when, Sheldon doesn't like change but when he's ready for it he usually does commit. With Sheldon sometimes he does gets pushed into doing things but you can't say that about the ring, he clearly requested the ring from his mother and with it being a family heirloom for someone like Sheldon it would have more significance than going out and buying one imo. I also think it would have happened already had they not broken up.

Now if we get to the end of Season 10 with the show coming back for a Season 11 or more and there is no reference whatsoever to the ring then I would agree and the writers shouldn't have introduced it in the first place certainly not at the stage they did.

If Amy did end up pregnant and it wasn't planned then yes I could see a freak out, but I don't think he would take off again. Again Sheldon is actually pretty traditional plus he would likely have his mother telling him to do the right thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonny83 said:

If Amy did end up pregnant and it wasn't planned then yes I could see a freak out, but I don't think he would take off again. Again Sheldon is actually pretty traditional plus he would likely have his mother telling him to do the right thing.

I hope I'm wrong! The writers have surprised me several times. I actually wrote a fan-fiction on Sheldon's proposal in anticipation of the event, but I know if it actually happens, it'll turn out far better than my story.

1 hour ago, April said:

...the guy is all in when it comes to this relationship. The idea of leaving in a panic to the point of having Amy wonder if she should raise the kid alone? That sounds awful. Sorry.

Don't be! I couldn't be happier about that.

12 hours ago, Kimberly Rose said:

Sheldon also believed a plastic figurine spoke to him.

He didn't believe it spoke to him.

He dreamed it, just like he dreamed the spirit of Arthur Jeffries spoke to him.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

21 hours ago, Kimberly Rose said:
22 hours ago, djsurrey said:

...except he has a ring.

And when she discovered this, he also told her, "You just took my virginity; cool your jets."

...and the comedy is in the unexpected nature of that comment. Still he has it. What's his plan? 

It's possible that the Spock Resonance shook his confidence, he wasn't just thinking about proposing he was actually going through with it but obviously he saw her with Dave. Amy doesn't know about this proposal attempt, all she knows is that Sheldon has a ring and he might propose at some point. It's also possible he is worried about being rejected again deep down, that breakup did hurt him badly perhaps he feels it's not a risk worth taking right now even though Amy would almost likely say yes.

It will happen in Season 10 though, I don't see how the writers can ignore it.

• Like 1

^ Yeah, I think we'll basically see something similar with the engagement as with coitus.

Back in S8 he was contemplating going through with the "post-prom mating rituals" but then his nerves got the better of him as he was clearly not ready for that just yet. And thank goodness cause if they did it then it would have been for all the wrong reasons (i.e. peer pressure). The scenario we then got in S9 was all the more perfect as a result.

Likewise the proposal in 9x07 would have been for all the wrong reasons as it was an act of desperation. Not to mention that it was just the beginning of Sheldon embracing his emotional side and many, if not most of his stories afterwards show him trying so hard to be a better person, to be more sociable, to be a better boyfriend, and overall sorting out his priorities. It's still all a work in progress, as per his sentiment in the Meemaw episode, and as such I think it fits that he's waiting with the proposal until the right moment.

My guess (hope?) would be that (early) S10 gives us another nice Shamy episode that will trigger some sort of "omg I want to marry her so badly!" epiphany that will then lead to the proposal. What exactly that would be is anyone's guess but there are plenty of options for the writers to use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, April said:

My guess (hope?) would be that (early) S10 gives us another nice Shamy episode that will trigger some sort of "omg I want to marry her so badly!" epiphany that will then lead to the proposal.

A sudden epiphany can be followed by a sudden disillusionment. I think it would be better for it to unfold more gradually rather than have Sheldon all over the place.

2 minutes ago, djsurrey said:

A sudden epiphany can be followed by a sudden disillusionment. I think it would be better for it to unfold more gradually rather than have Sheldon all over the place.

I don't think we're thinking about the same kinds of scenarios here.

At this point I wouldn't see him coming to the conclusion that it's the right moment to propose as anything sudden or "all over the place". IMHO we're already in the middle of this gradual progress towards that. Sure, there are still areas in which they need to work on their relationship and I really really hope the writers won't shy away from exploring that but overall I wouldn't see an issue with something like, say, Solder/Big Bear where they had some lovely bonding moments that would then lead to him feeling that the time is right.

I'm not sure what kind of disillusionment would result from that??

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as how this thread has been inactive for 21 days, I'm going to attempt to bring it back to life by saying that I would love to see Leonard's family get introduced to the show. Raj's father visited, now we need to see his mother; and if Mary Cooper and Leonard's dad are going to get married, Leonard and Sheldon would be stepbrothers and there could be all-new material to work with.
In Two And A Half Men, Chuck Lorre stopped writing Chelsea and Rose into the scripts. I don't want to see that happen with Missy and Priya. No, they're not MAJOR supporting characters, but I think it would be great if Raj got to see his mother and sister at the same time. All he's got is Cinnamon...unless she died or something. Seriously, why don't we see the dog anymore? If she did die, you'd think her "soulmate" would be upset and whine about it.
Long story short, the characters need to spend more time with their family members. We see most of Mrs. Cooper and Mrs. Hofstadter, who for some reason I still can't figure out just so happened to at least twice visit their sons on the same day. And, if I might add, the dinner they shared was real awkward, considering the last time they saw each other they shook hands and decided to bury the hatchet.

On 6/8/2016 at 6:33 PM, Kimberly Rose said:

Yes, all of that is plausible, because:

• Sheldon also believed a plastic figurine spoke to him. He's a little weird, remember?
  • Penny was single and drunk when she slept with (or tried to sleep with) Raj. Inebriation makes you do stuff you wouldn't normally do; and Penny's the biggest alcoholic I've ever seen.
  • Sheldon's afraid of change. They're still living with him because Sheldon agreed to Penny living there on a bi-monthly basis; and as frustrated as they get with him, he's their friend and they're taking his feelings into account.

Come on even bigger then Charlie Harper lol? Hardly. At least post s6 Penny's drinking diminshed, and more refined to Dinners with Leonard. Charlie Harper was the biggest alcaholic in sitcom history. Even by s8 he was still heavily drinking. So sorry the assumption Penny is the biggest alcaholic ever, is imo short sighted.  While I agree Alcahol and Inebriation makes you do stupid things, you don't do when your Lupid. The point wasen't that Penny was Single or Drunk. But that who she choose to sleep with while under the influence. That was the most reckless and shokcing thing the show ever did. Nothing well ever compare. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kimberly Rose said:

Seeing as how this thread has been inactive for 21 days, I'm going to attempt to bring it back to life by saying that I would love to see Leonard's family get introduced to the show. Raj's father visited, now we need to see his mother; and if Mary Cooper and Leonard's dad are going to get married, Leonard and Sheldon would be stepbrothers and there could be all-new material to work with.
In Two And A Half Men, Chuck Lorre stopped writing Chelsea and Rose into the scripts. I don't want to see that happen with Missy and Priya. No, they're not MAJOR supporting characters, but I think it would be great if Raj got to see his mother and sister at the same time. All he's got is Cinnamon...unless she died or something. Seriously, why don't we see the dog anymore? If she did die, you'd think her "soulmate" would be upset and whine about it.
Long story short, the characters need to spend more time with their family members. We see most of Mrs. Cooper and Mrs. Hofstadter, who for some reason I still can't figure out just so happened to at least twice visit their sons on the same day. And, if I might add, the dinner they shared was real awkward, considering the last time they saw each other they shook hands and decided to bury the hatchet.

Raj will take any girl that will have him. And yes all the while he is overlooking his soulmate CINNAMON !

I would like to see more RAJAMON !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Molecules said:

The only reference by Amy about religion, that I can recall, is that she is baffled by one that takes attendance. Is there a line that states/implies  her religious affiliation? Please enlighten me.

From The Clean Room Infiltration....

Amy: If you’re not up to hosting Christmas dinner, I’m happy to do it. You can even bring your father.

Raj: That would be nice.

Amy: I’ve always wanted to do a traditional Victorian Christmas. Parlour games, goose and figgy pudding.

If Amy were Jewish, she wouldn't say this.  

Well my dream finalie would be to homage the pilot. Penny gives Birth but that is just me. Not to get off side with my Shamy's :D. But I have a feeling they well make Shamy a gray area by Series Final. 

7 hours ago, Molecules said:

The only reference by Amy about religion, that I can recall, is that she is baffled by one that takes attendance. Is there a line that states/implies  her religious affiliation? Please enlighten me.

So far as one can tell Amy is agnostic. The more complete quote:

I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance

• Like 1