Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

15,554 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

54 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

We don't know that Amy won't go to Comic Con in the end. The members who gave us the info told us we'd have to wait to be surprised by the tag and we'd like it. Perhaps the list of those going will persuade her.

I think the Shamy segment in the preview is part of the actual tag...No real proof for that, but it matches with what the girls at the taping said about it. I hope there's something more than what we saw, though, TBH, that was not funny to me...

Edited by mirs1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

2 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

I think the Shamy segment in the preview is part of the actual tag...No real proof for that, but it matches with what the girls at the taping said about it. I hope there's something more than what we saw, though, TBH, that was not funny to me...

I didn't find it funny, either. Time was, Amy would have been overjoyed that Sheldon wanted her with him anywhere. Is she annoyed because there's somewhere else she'd rather go, perhaps ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

1 minute ago, mirs1 said:

No, I don't think that was the point. She has never liked comics, so I find very natural she didn't want to accompany him. He can drive, if he wants to go, he can go by himself. They share many other interests and do a lot of things together, it's not like not going with him to Comic Con means they have nothing in common. Actually, I didn't find the sex teasing funny, not anymore at least. I saw that coming miles away. And I'm kind of tired of it...

That's all true. I suppose it's a good sign now Amy won't go to something she doesn't want to. The days are gone when she needed to fall in with Sheldon's plans in order to spend time with him.

mirs1, Jonny, serenaded214 and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

49 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

No, I don't think that was the point. She has never liked comics, so I find very natural she didn't want to accompany him. He can drive, if he wants to go, he can go by himself. They share many other interests and do a lot of things together, it's not like not going with him to Comic Con means they have nothing in common. Actually, I didn't find the sex teasing funny, not anymore at least. I saw that coming miles away. And I'm kind of tired of it...

I would agree on both points.

Specifically in terms of your second point, I don't mind seeing some sexual innuendo (it is a staple of British Comedy, so I am kind of used to it) BUT sometimes there needs to be a pay off, or end result from that sexual innuendo. We don't get that therefore I would agree completely with you that I am starting to get tired of it as well!

And Sheldon mocked their own sex life last night! Friends mocking, colleagues mocking presumably now that they know and even Sheldon had a gag mocking it! Unbelievable! :icon_rolleyes:

Edited by Jonny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

To be fair their sex life is a joke. I say that as facesiousley as I possibly can. The writers turned it into a Gag. The characters over the years have always mocked Shamys relationship. Love Spell Potential example. I remember Amy was very upset and stormed off. Teasing has always been their. I guess it's up to the writers to change that. 

Edited by 3ku11
veejay and JohnPhD like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

But that's not what this is about. It's not just them being able to do different things. The writers have to make Amy mean about it to make Comic-Con out as this immature thing that no guy should ever ask a girl to go to with. Mind you, Amy and Sheldon have dressed up together for Halloween multiple times and Amy just went with Sheldon to a train event in Locomotion Reverberation. The only punchline here is "Haha Sheldon's a stupid nerd doing something awkward again, how absurd of him to continue to frustrate his girlfriend by reminding her she's dating someone with unattractive tastes that he's willing to share".

Amy loses her cool in EVERY discussion. Count it up. It's the formula of every non-sex related discussion. Maybe that guy who posted about bullying nerd culture was right. I doubt someone who created Two and a Half Men knows what being a nerd is like. He specializes in characters like Alan. Charlie Sheen's ego was partially birthed from the kind of stuff Lorre wrote for him.

serena_1995, sarah7 and JE7 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

44 minutes ago, Shelldon said:

But that's not what this is about. It's not just them being able to do different things. The writers have to make Amy mean about it to make Comic-Con out as this immature thing that no guy should ever ask a girl to go to with. Mind you, Amy and Sheldon have dressed up together for Halloween multiple times and Amy just went with Sheldon to a train event in Locomotion Reverberation. The only punchline here is "Haha Sheldon's a stupid nerd doing something awkward again, how absurd of him to continue to frustrate his girlfriend by reminding her she's dating someone with unattractive tastes that he's willing to share".

Amy loses her cool in EVERY discussion. Count it up. It's the formula of every non-sex related discussion. Maybe that guy who posted about bullying nerd culture was right. I doubt someone who created Two and a Half Men knows what being a nerd is like. He specializes in characters like Alan. Charlie Sheen's ego was partially birthed from the kind of stuff Lorre wrote for him.

I'm not sure how Chuck Lorre Executive Producing Taahm. Has to do with Lorre understanding Nerds. He also created Dharma and Greg. Mom, and Mike and Molly. So you know. Moloro has more of a say anyway. Prady and Lorre stepped back a while ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Not to mention Prady, who also created TBBT, but not TAAHM, is a nerd.

mirs1 and hokie3457 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

34 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

the teasing made me roll my eyes, frankly. It came off as that exhausted old chestnut of 'sheldon says a thing that could be construed as leading up to sex, Amy gets all excited because apparently she has had a head injury and has forgotten that Sheldon doesn't do innuendo*, and BAZINGA!' Combined with the no less exhausted narrative trope of 'one partner wants to do a thing, the other partner does not enter into their interests. Because tee hee, men and women or something.'

Oh yes. How very fresh and exciting. Be still my ovaries. Etcetera.

*except when he is trying to seduce her, in which case a number of appallingly direct suggestions will have been made first anyway.

 

Men and women don't have to like the same things, but you can pick up interests from your partner. CC is pretty much a mainstream event now with so many celebrities and panels and discussions . I hate CC is just a tool for the writers to use it is to make sex jokes, nothing more.  The latest joke about Sheldon's pants is just uninspired. Why don't they let Amy flat out tell Sheldon she wants sex ? What is stopping her ? Why are they not giving her a voice?

Why do they want Amy to be seen as a silent,  long suffering, sex starved martyr , who also intermittently acts like Sheldon's annoyed mommy who shoves taffy in his mouth and drugs him so she can shut him up ? I can't even understand how anyone can consider the scenes in 10x15 where Sheldon is excitedly reading about the train trip to Amy as great Shamy scenes. Amy looked absolutely tormented by Sheldon. Some say, it is great that Sheldon wants to include Amy in his trip, but what good is it, if Amy would rather be anywhere else ? Shouldn't it be something that makes both of them happy ?

From what is being portrayed in the 3 of the 4 February sweep episodes, it seems Amy hates most of Sheldon's hobbies. Sheldon doesn't seem to show  interest in her hobbies either and lies about driving. Amy doesn't even get sex from the relationship. Like, I sincerely want the writers to show me, what joy does Amy(and Sheldon) get from this relationship ? They were doing a better job in the fall of last year.

 

5 hours ago, mirs1 said:

No, I don't think that was the point. She has never liked comics, so I find very natural she didn't want to accompany him. He can drive, if he wants to go, he can go by himself. They share many other interests and do a lot of things together, it's not like not going with him to Comic Con means they have nothing in common. Actually, I didn't find the sex teasing funny, not anymore at least. I saw that coming miles away. And I'm kind of tired of it...

 

yes, Sheldon should now go by himself. He can drive !  But it would have been interesting if Amy decided to go to Comic Con with Sheldon. After all, Sheldon threw in a surprise brunch for Amy, even though he didn't like brunches .Why can't Amy do the same and surprise Sheldon with a trip to Comic Con ? A fun future shamy road trip to SDCC would be a great idea.

 

Edited by serena_1995

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

1 minute ago, April said:

They went to the Harry Potter WW together and she accompanied him to the train weekend - BUT OH NOES, she didn't also go with him to CC?? HOW DARE SHE!! How dare she not be a slave to his schedules! How dare she not drop everything for the chance to go to a potentially stressful weekend that doesn't cater to her interests!???

 

But isn't that her purpose? I mean they have sex once a year.

legacy99 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

16 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

He can drive !  But it would have been interesting if Amy decided to go to Comic Con with Sheldon. 

If Sheldon wants her company it wouldn't hurt her. She seems adamant she doesn't want to go, even though it means staying behind with the other 'nerds'. I wonder why ? I'll laugh if after all there's someone on the list she wants to hear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

First, the teasing about comic-con was not in the tag. It was in "coming attractions".

Second, I have a question. Weren't people complaining about last nights episode from the TR because Sheldon had to come to the rescue again and make a budget for Raj? Or was that just (sarcastic) speculation? Because I remember people arguing about it, but it never appeared on screen.

joyceraye likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Have I missed something?  I don't remember seeing anything that confirmed whether Amy said she was or wasn't going to Comic-con.

Maddie, mirs1 and spidergirl like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I don't think it is that bad that Amy doesn't want to go. She is allowed not to participate in ALL his interests. She did go to the train museum and they did have some nice intellectual conversations this season. The train ramble scenes reminded me so much of my grandparents...My grandfather can ramble a lot about history and mechanics, it can be very exhausting, trust me. I also think that he might be an undiagnosed case of autism spectrum disorder, just like Sheldon (my sister is diagnosed and it's partly genetic). Restricted interests are regarded as symptoms of ASD, behaviors that are regarded as symptoms when they cause some disturbance or distress. Though presented as a funny eccentricity, because it's a sitcom, Sheldon's obssesion with trains could have distanced another woman and also other potential friends, just like my grandfather's "lectures" distances us and people he meets (and it's not just an old person's thing, he has always been like that). So I can get Amy's reactions, this is something she puts up with and it's hard. 

Back to CC: both Amy and Bernadette always distanced themselves from Sci-Fi and comics. Penny has been shown as the girlfriend/wife that tried the most to participate a little. Not that she participated a lot, just the most out of the three women. She watched the most, she (unwillingly) knows the most. This is shown quite clearly in "The Proton Transmogrification". So it seems logical to me that if any of the girls went to CC it would be her. Actually I'm wondering if by the end of the series, maybe last episodes, we will see her showing some knowledge about some Sci-Fi show/movie (maybe talking about it to a new young blond neighbor/new resident to 4A or 4B after they leave?), showing her change.  

Edited by bfm
grammer
hokie3457, JE7, spidergirl and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

1 minute ago, BigBang15 said:

First, the teasing about comic-con was not in the tag. It was in "coming attractions".

Second, I have a question. Weren't people complaining about last nights episode from the TR because Sheldon had to come to the rescue again and make a budget for Raj? Or was that just (sarcastic) speculation? Because I remember people arguing about it, but it never appeared on screen.

That is the upcoming episode. We only got the basic plot for that which went something along the lines that the guys plan to go to CC, Sheldon is helping Raj with his finances but apparently CC is too expensive so Raj can't come, then Howard and Leonard also decide to rather stay at home with their loved ones. The people who provided spoilers mentioned something about a funny Shamy tag which is probably the clip in the promo, hence people talking about the "tag" in context of that clip. Hope that clears things up a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

6 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

First, the teasing about comic-con was not in the tag. It was in "coming attractions".

Second, I have a question. Weren't people complaining about last nights episode from the TR because Sheldon had to come to the rescue again and make a budget for Raj? Or was that just (sarcastic) speculation? Because I remember people arguing about it, but it never appeared on screen.

Sheldon making a budget for Raj is in the next episode, which is when the comic con thing comes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

21 minutes ago, April said:

They went to the Harry Potter WW together and she accompanied him to the train weekend - BUT OH NOES, she didn't also go with him to CC?? HOW DARE SHE!! How dare she not be a slave to his schedules! How dare she not drop everything for the chance to go to a potentially stressful weekend that doesn't cater to her interests!??? Burn the witch! The writers have ruined everything 5ever!!

 Give the woman a break! Jeez.

I guess my thing is not that Amy and Sheldon have to love everything the other does. It is more that

a ) the show seems to portray interests such as trains and comic con as some sort of adorable infantile pursuit that may be indulged, but should really be outgrown.

b ) and moreover, that said interests are harboured disproportionately by the guys

c ) and basically that an engine of the plot rather too often is that the partners don't get the other's interests.

and honestly the show can do better. This season, Shamy have been written frequently with more freshness and they've been allowed to have specific interests, or even to let the other person go away and do things they enjoy without implying an exhausted eyeroll or a disparaging remark or whatever.

Carlos, serena_1995 and JE7 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

27 minutes ago, bfm said:

I don't think it is that bad that Amy doesn't want to go. She is allowed not to participate in ALL his interests. She did go to the train museum and they did have some nice intellectual conversations this season. The train ramble scenes reminded me so much of my grandparents...My grandfather can ramble a lot about history and mechanics, it can be very exhausting, trust me. I also think that he might be an undiagnosed case of autism spectrum disorder, just like Sheldon (my sister is diagnosed and it's partly genetic). Restricted interests are regarded as symptoms of ASD, behaviors that are regarded as symptoms when they cause some disturbance or distress. Though presented as a funny eccentricity, because it's a sitcom, Sheldon's obssesion with trains could have distanced another woman and also other potential friends, just like my grandfather's "lectures" distances us and people he meets (and it's not just an old person's thing, he has always been like that). So I can get Amy's reactions, this is something she puts up with and it's hard. 

Back to CC: both Amy and Bernadette always distanced themselves from Sci-Fi and comics. Penny has been shown as the girlfriend/wife that tried the most to participate a little. Not that she participated a lot, just the most out of the three women. She watched the most, she (unwillingly) knows the most. This is shown quite clearly in "The Proton Transmogrification". So it seems logical to me that if any of the girls went to CC it would be her. Actually I'm wondering if by the end of the series, maybe last episodes, we will see her showing some knowledge about some Sci-Fi show/movie (maybe talking about it to a new young blond neighbor/new resident to 4A or 4B after they leave?), showing her change.  

Great point!

bfm likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now