Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

15,554 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, April said:

They went to the Harry Potter WW together and she accompanied him to the train weekend - BUT OH NOES, she didn't also go with him to CC?? HOW DARE SHE!! How dare she not be a slave to his schedules! How dare she not drop everything for the chance to go to a potentially stressful weekend that doesn't cater to her interests!??? Burn the witch! The writers have ruined everything 5ever!!

Give the woman a break! Jeez.

Where did I say they have ruined everything? I said specifically  they did great job in the fall of last year. I also said Sheldon takes little interest in what Amy likes. They don't have to like 100 % of the things ofcourse .

Maybe my wording was poor but I was just merely suggesting that having Shamy go to Cc would be a refreshing idea ,since no one else was going  and maybe they can find something like a TV show or movie panel there which they both like. Like a road trip or something later on which can be followed up. Otherwise why even make the episode about Comic Con ? It  would be better than the joke with Sheldon's pants IMO . That's all ! I'm more not forcing anything . In general, I would love for the dynamics to change a bit, because if they don't, things are not going to be fresh and if they are not going to be fresh, it will be difficult for 2 more seasons.

47 minutes ago, bfm said:

Yes the train rambling was exhausting to watch. I thought it was quite irritating.   That's why I don't see how it can be construed as a great shamy scene ! 

Edited by serena_1995
wowbagger likes this

Posted

7 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

Great point April.  You can sort of liken the disconnect on Sheldon's & Amy's interests as with other couples and one having an interest in sports; another in romance novels.  My wife absolutely hates to watch (American) football, while I would be more than happy to watch about six hours worth on television.  She enjoys certain types of movies and television shows that I can't stomach (real crime drama).  We each watch those things alone or with others who share our interest.  Sheldon and Amy have plenty of things where their interests intersect.  This is quite a lot to do about nothing (in my opinion)..... 

Exactly. Shamy not sharing every interest after so many examples this season where already did is not a big deal and imho a healthy sign for a relationship when everyone still retains their individuality. Not to mention that we don't even know how the episode ends.

Also, to balance things there's Lenny in this episode who are usually painted as the couple that doesn't share many common interests and who had a lot of trouble this season. Here Penny offers to go as a show of making more of an effort which I think is genuinely sweet especially after she's been hiding Leonard's nerdy stuff and the conflict in 10x13.

spidergirl, Maddie, JE7 and 4 others like this

Posted

22 hours ago, BigBang15 said:

I don't like Grey's Anatomy. I don't like This Is Us. I don't like Life in Pieces. I didn't like Parks & Recreations. I never wished any of them cancelled, because there are people who do/did like them. I just went and watched something else that I did like.

This is my experience, nothing more.

I don't know if this post is in response to another post or not, but I for one wish that the show would not be renewed. Not specifically because I don't like it but because it pains me that the quality has decreased so much. I wish it would end on a level not too much lower than what it already is, and keep, as it were, some dignity. If I am being honest with myself I really don't care if there are other people that like it, since I watch the show because of what it means to me, and not to everybody else. I know this sounds selfish but I think we all are in that respect, since people who love the direction of the show don't really care about my opinions, and that is fine.

When it comes down to it, exclusively in regards to the show, the only other group of people I care about beside myself, are my fellow Lennies.

JE7, veejay, Chrismo and 2 others like this

Posted

15 minutes ago, serena_1995 said:

Where did I say they have ruined everything? I said specifically  they did great job in the fall of last year. I also said Sheldon takes little interest in what Amy likes. 

Maybe my wording was poor but I was just merely suggesting that having Shamy go to Cc would be a refreshing idea ,since no one else was going  and maybe they can find something like a TV show or movie panel there which they both like. Like a road trip or something later on which can be followed up. Otherwise why even make the episode about Comic Con ? It  would be better than the joke with Sheldon's pants IMO . That's all ! I'm more not forcing anything . In general, I would love for the dynamics to change a bit, because if they don't, things are not going to be fresh and if they are not going to be fresh, it will be difficult for 2 more seasons.

I only quoted the last part but your wording in the rest of that post was pretty much over the top - hence why I made free use of hyperbole in my reply.

The thing is that it's not the first time I've seen people come after Amy the moment she doesn't fall in line with what Sheldon wants and tbqh it's a bit exhausting. She's put under so much more scrutiny as a character and if she isn't perfect there comes a long post about how the writers ruin her or Shamy in general or whatever. The writers work with her as a character who has flaws and dislikes just like anybody else. That doesn't mean that Amy suddenly hates all of Sheldon's hobbies.

If you had written a little "It would have been nice if they went to CC - what a pity!" then I surely have no problem agreeing with that. But I also think realistically an episode like that is a bit hard to pull off with the way the show is produced so I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

JE7, Maddie and nusspot like this

Posted (edited)

Amy has never hidden her disinterest for science fiction and her disdain for the world of comics. She expressed her feelings very clearly about his affection for comic books:

Amy: Sheldon I'm disappointed, as a brilliant man you're entitled to a vice. I could understand frequenting an opium den or hunting your fellow man for sport, but this? Lame-o!

So, I'm not sure why anyone wants to bash on her for not being over the moon about Comic-Con. 

BTW: Does Sheldon accompany her to harp concerts, renaissance poetry readings or anything else that interests her? 

Edited by HeWolf
mirs1, amethyst, Chrismo and 5 others like this

Posted

9 minutes ago, April said:

I also love Sheldon's reply to this:

Sheldon: Well, A, comic books employ storytelling through sequential art, a medium that dates back 17,000 years to the cave paintings of Lascaux, and B, you play the harp. Like that’s cool.

Honestly, I love it when they trash talk each other in science - I wouldn't mind an intellectual trash talk about each other's uncool hobbies. lmao

I think it's a mixed bag, just like with what Amy does for him. He skips some stuff but participates in others, like he mentioned watching old French movies with her and we see them together with Lenny having fun with basket weaving.

(don't tell Amy they were having fun!)

Posted (edited)

So I was re-watching the episode and I was trying to concentrate in read the zones of privacy of the whiteboard and I realize a few things: 
first the Amy&Sheldon zone and Close-friends zone were so nice (Hopes, Fears, Scientific breakthroughs, Family issues ...)
The other was that he put Stuart in the third zone, I thought that after the episode 10x06 - The Fetal Kick Catalyst with the brunch, he would start considered him as a close friend, it´s a little sad that the writters still made the joke of the poor-sad-alone-Stuart, it´s not funny anymore, not for me at least. 

Edited by anicez
Irene, serenaded214, mirs1 and 5 others like this

Posted (edited)

Shamy does imo like most of couples should do: some things they are both into as they are mutual interests, others dont. Some they can handle with for the sake of the other, others dont. I think they have pretty improved about that this season, which happens when people share same place. Amy is not into trains but drived Sheldon and was his company at Train Museum for him. Sheldon is not into brunches and for her he prepared one with guests and all. For each other interests, both watch shows in Netflix together.

Besides it is healthy for a relationship as people never forget they are also individuals and keep some of their old interests, even when they are in a relationship. It is not "lack" of respect or strenght of love. Shamy are a couple but they have a stronger individual side than others characters's show, you know what I mean? It is a mutual trait that is interisting as they try to manage  some of their diferences nicely, in light of compromize as a couple.

And did I get wrong or we dont have sure if Amy went with Sheldon to SDCC or not?

Edited by spidergirl
Jonny, mirs1, anicez and 3 others like this

Posted

36 minutes ago, April said:

I also love Sheldon's reply to this:

Sheldon: Well, A, comic books employ storytelling through sequential art, a medium that dates back 17,000 years to the cave paintings of Lascaux, and B, you play the harp. Like that’s cool.

Honestly, I love it when they trash talk each other in science - I wouldn't mind an intellectual trash talk about each other's uncool hobbies. lmao

I think it's a mixed bag, just like with what Amy does for him. He skips some stuff but participates in others, like he mentioned watching old French movies with her and we see them together with Lenny having fun with basket weaving.

Amy: Sheldon I'm disappointed, as a brilliant man you're entitled to a vice. I could understand frequenting an opium den or hunting your fellow man for sport, but this? Lame-o!

Those examples of sophisticated writing generate my current complaining about the quality of most episodes since "season hate".

serena_1995, JE7, Carlos and 2 others like this

Posted

OK, I'll admit, I kinda started this discussion because I said:  And I wish Amy would go to Comic-Con with Sheldon, but I guess I'm just not that lucky. 

Why would I wish that?  Because in 1015, the writers INTENTIONALLY put Amy in that kind of light, which is "the girlfriend didn't appreciate her boyfriend's interest(as in Amy was very annoyed about Sheldon reading her that schedule), but after she fantasised her boyfriend as a train conductor who poured water at himself, SUDDENLY, she just couldn't wait to get to that museum. And combine this plot with that "once a year sex" running gag,  I think even the casual audiences could do the math, and knew what was the writers trying to say, which is: yeah, Amy was horny, she wanted more sex, but she just couldn't get some. Poor Amy!  I know for a fact that many reviews mentioned this, even in this very own forum. And I read lots of those reviews on social media, also I asked some people around me. 

And as an Amy fan, I just hate this plot. So when I heard about that Comic-Con plot, I just so wish Amy would go to Comic-Con with interest, instead of what happened in 1015. 

1 hour ago, serena_1995 said:

And the bold part, the joke with Sheldon's pants was another example. 

I think I can safely say NOBODY wants to watch "horny Amy" in the future two years, and people who hate the "horny Amy" the most are Amy fans. 

Posted

1 hour ago, serena_1995 said:

Yes the train rambling was exhausting to watch. I thought it was quite irritating.   That's why I don't see how it can be construed as a great shamy scene ! 

What I liked in those scenes was how domestic they were. Shamy living together is a relatively new thing, so it's still surprising (especially after all the fighting about bathroom schedules and pillows walls) that now they  can have a conversation while brushing their teeth or in bed. For the rest, I don't think it's news for any of us that Amy doesn't have any interests in trains on in comics, both of those things were established back in S. 5 (if I remember correctly) and never changed. Nonetheless she has accompanied Sheldon to the train museum, waking up at 4 am in doing so, just to realize a couple of weeks after that she didn't have to, since the guy has a license. I really get why this time for SDCC she seems to be not very willing to go with him, even if we don't really know if she will end up not going, for all we know the tag might end with them trying on matching costumes for the event, which would be 100 times better than the part that was shown in the promo...

bfm, spidergirl, Judith and 3 others like this

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, mirs1 said:

the tag might end with them trying on matching costumes for the event, which would be 100 times better than the part that was shown in the promo...

even I love to see Sheldon´s seductive face, I don´t like the joke of "horny Amy" if we do not have a "Horny Sheldon" too, it's a little unfair that she's always the one who looks frustrated because he say something and is not what she expected. 
I would love to see them playing together (that funny games that they invented), watching some series/movie, working together in a research and of course choosing costumes would be awesome! 

If the writters want the "one year sex" it's ok, but don't play with us if it's not going to happen, instead give us funny scenes together like seasons ago or new domestics ones, for example they making the laundry together or shopping the grocery. 

Edited by anicez
spidergirl, mirs1, amethyst and 4 others like this

Posted (edited)

23 minutes ago, anicez said:

even I love to see Sheldon´s seductive face, I don´t like the joke of "horny Amy" if we do not have a "Horny Sheldon" too, it's a little unfair that she's always the one who looks frustrated because he say something and is not what she expected. 
I would love to see them playing together (that funny games that they invented), watching some series/movie, working together in a research and of course choosing costumes would be awesome! 

If the writters want the "one year sex" it's ok, but don't play with us if it's not going to happen, instead give us funny scenes together like seasons ago or new domestics ones, for example they making the laundry together or shopping the grocery. 

Laudry room, I miss that on show!  I love tease but tease with some purpose, not that kind of only mock, you know what I mean?

One funny scenario would be the safety cabinet refill day ( sorry I feel I am failing the right words) , Sheldon and Leonard used to have  that when they were untaken and lived together. I wonder if both keep doing that in their places, as it could be funny Penny and Amy commenting the purpose of a specific day for that task, lol!

Edited by spidergirl
anicez likes this

Posted

1 hour ago, Carlos said:

I don't know if this post is in response to another post or not, but I for one wish that the show would not be renewed. Not specifically because I don't like it but because it pains me that the quality has decreased so much. I wish it would end on a level not too much lower than what it already is, and keep, as it were, some dignity. If I am being honest with myself I really don't care if there are other people that like it, since I watch the show because of what it means to me, and not to everybody else. I know this sounds selfish but I think we all are in that respect, since people who love the direction of the show don't really care about my opinions, and that is fine.

When it comes down to it, exclusively in regards to the show, the only other group of people I care about beside myself, are my fellow Lennies.

Yes, it is.

Posted

4 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

Laudry room, I miss it!

No, that was an example for new domestics scenes 

5 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

safety cabinet refill day

We have kind of that when Amy went with the guys and they found Dr Proton there, and was fun! I miss these type of scenes together.

spidergirl likes this

Posted

3 minutes ago, anicez said:

No, that was an example for new domestics scenes 

I rephrased the first line of my post. Sorry :)

anicez likes this

Posted

People are criticizing Amy for not wanting to go to CC with Sheldon? My husband is a biker , he wanted to go to Jerez (mototbike race) with me in the motor bike . i'd rather have my arm cut off and be beaten up with it than  to do 800 km in a motor bike, so he is going with a friend and I am a terrible wife apparently

Posted

2 minutes ago, Anita said:

People are criticizing Amy for not wanting to go to CC with Sheldon? My husband is a biker , he wanted to go to Jerez (mototbike race) with me in the motor bike . i'd rather have my arm cut off and be beaten up with it than  to do 800 km in a motor bike, so he is going with a friend and I am a terrible wife apparently

No, you are not a terrible wife but a great wife as you let your hubby have time for himself as he is doing something he has fun. :)

Carlos, HeWolf, Maddie and 1 other like this

Posted

I think it's fair to say that Sheldon knows by now Amy's thoughts on some of his hobbies or interests specifically comics and comic con related stuff in this example. We as viewers of course know from one of the truly great episodes of the series 'The Bakersfield Expedition' what the girls in general think lol. I have no doubt Sheldon has similar feelings on some of Amy's hobbies and that's ok.

Need to watch this episode to how it plays out, maybe they do both end up going in the end? Maybe Sheldon does what the rest of the guys do partly not going in solidarity with Raj and partly staying with their partners or in Howard's case family instead. Maybe Shamy end up doing something else? who knows.

I don't have a problem with Amy not wanting to go if indeed that does happen. They have clearly spent a lot more time with each other this season but they aren't fully glued at the hip, they should have time for themselves and their interests as well.

April, bfm, Foxy Teakettle and 5 others like this

Posted

I agree with what a lot of you are saying. "Horny Amy" is something I had hoped the show was moving away from, but with tags like the upcoming episode, I have my reservations. That joke stopped being funny a long time ago. My only hope is that casual viewers are tired of it too, and then the writers can move on from the tired trope. 

I know we haven't seen the episode yet, but from the looks of the tag it seemed like Sheldon was very aware of what he was doing, teasing Amy on purpose whereas in the past he was more oblivious about those kinds of things. This time it seems almost cruel in a way, like Sheldon was receiving joy from getting Amy's hopes up only to dash them. I guess we'll know more once the episode is aired, but I don't think I'm going to like how it all plays out. I've seen this all before. Now that the show has been likely renewed for 2 more seasons, I fear we will be forced to suffer through more of this dynamic while the writers draw this out and laugh hysterically about a sexually frustrated Amy. Not very funny imo. 

snapepans, sdffcx and JE7 like this

Posted

I'm sorry, but I didn't read any posts of people coming at Amy for not wanting to go to CC (and you know how protective I am of Amy).

I read Serena's post not as an attack to Amy, but as a complaint to the writers for making them unecessarily confrontational over someting that instead could had been used a common ground so both could enjoy that trip to the convention, instead of the same old tired joke of the suffering partner finding the man's nerdy interests ridiculous. I know we just have a little snippet and there's still the chance for that to happen (altough, knowing the writers, I won't keep my hopes too high)

So, am I right @serena_1995 ?