Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

Thank you @2L344  for this very detailed TR, it's like reading a script or something.

I'm very looking forward to seeing that Batman statue!!!

Thank you so much!

• Like 8

@2L344 Thank you SO much for the taping report! Very happy you had a good time! (was there any doubt?)

• Like 5

Oh FYI I am starting my vacation this morning so my internet connection will be spotty at best for the next week to ten days but I will be on when I can. I expect the thread to get locked down at least once while I am gone I don't want Tensor to feel neglected :icon_cheesygrin:

P5030.jpg

Edited by JE7
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, JE7 said:

Oh FYI I am starting my vacation this morning so my internet connection will be spotty at best for the next week to ten days but I will be on when I can. I expect the thread to get locked down at least once while I am gone we don't want Tensor to feel neglected:icon_cheesygrin:

P5030.jpg

Have a nice trip!

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

thanks for the lovely detailed TR, 2L! I hope you had a lovely time!

as to the episode itself: Hmmmmm. I have to confess that my first reaction to reading 2L's summary and then TR was: Yeah, this is why some people might groan at the thought of a renewal. Because this season has actually done a decent job moving most of the characters along. It's made a good fist of dealing with the pregnancy, even though Bernie is apparently a mutant elephant and nobody thought to tell us. The shake -up in the living arrangements has breathed fresh life into the shamy dynamic for the most part, and as a bonus we've had some really lovely scenes with PAmy and pamydette. Lenny suffered greatly in comparison, but I don't think lenny's being written significantly worse this season than it has been for...ouf, a while now. It is, however, noticeable that the show is stalling with them in comparison to many other characters.

I wondered a little whether all this movement and freshness was because the showrunners knew they only had a few more weeks of the show, so they could just use up all their ideas. But I largely ignored the thought. And then came news of the renewal and a string of wheel-spinning, at-least-mildly irritating episodes. And I know correlation is not causation, but it is a bit hard to look at this latest TR and not think 'damn you, renewal-engendered complacency!'

okay, it's going to take a while to unpack the things that intrigue me and the things that bother me about these plots, so let's make a list:

a ) Raj:. Run, Kunal nayyar. Run. This late in the game, and all these writers can think of to do with your character is to bus you from house to house like a foundling. Never mind the implausibility of Raj's financial situation. Show, if you want us to buy that an academic in a not-particularly-deluxe-looking flat is broke, you have to play up his extravagance in other arenas in a sustained way. You have to give him bling and Lamborghinis and a new big screen TV every week and Swarovski feeding bowls for his dog and Bollinger in his Smeg fridge. You do not, for example, have him wandering the countryside looking like my maths teacher growing up. A maths teacher who managed to limp through life entirely solvent, by the way. It is a bit late in the day to hurriedly tell me in an episode that raj is extravagant, when you have taken no pains to SHOW me that he is. The occasional extravagant gift for his girlfriend? Hell, Leonard bought his girlfriend a car and his other great love a 4000 USD trip to a train something-or-other! And apart from his magically reappearing/vanishing student debt, Leonard manages to get by, yes?

b ) women, amirite? Another episode where women are largely around to tut and sigh and be vaguely affronted by their menfolk. Bernie with Mister Paper Towels, and Amy with Sheldon's Batman whatever and his shitty anniversary gifts or her being disturbed at an actually quite sweet zombie dessert declaration that in quite a few other episodes I am fairly sure she would take in the spirit in which it is meant. And again, nobody is saying that women need to love every single thing their menfolk do. But I would quite like the show to mix it up more often and let the women have the crazy quirky decorating suggestions while the guys look perplexed. It was nice that penny went hogwild with the pink that one time. How about Amy wanting a harp in that tiny flat while Sheldon says '....er....'? Or Bernie wanting to convert a room into a lab? Something?

c ) well, I suppose there was ONE exception. Pop psychology with Beverly Hofstadter! And just - oh, brother. Did anyone else get the feeling that all that blether about escape hatches and contingencies felt like the writers talking about themselves, rather than the couples? To be fair, they have somewhat accurately identified their own malaise with Lenny. The writers do indeed seem to struggle to write Lenny without a buffer. I might be vaguely optimistic if I weren't grimly certain that nothing concrete would ever come of it. And if I didn't see that the same explanation were being liberally daubed over Sheldon's pathologies. Right. Because the Man With A Thousand Contracts is apparently so terrified of commitment that he needs an escape hatch. And it is all so unnecessary, moreover. The seventh episode concisely and clearly diagnosed Sheldon's issues with moving. Moving is a change. Sheldon does not like change. Done! Simple! Why the zeal to pretend that lenny's problems are Sheldon's problems and vice versa? I would have more sympathy if the issue were more that Sheldon is worried about being burnt in his relationship and so looks on 4A as a contingency. Which is, thank heavens, what Amy said. It's nice that Amy is allowed a moment of clarity and acuity, but why not let her say so to Beverly instead of panicking and running around like a headless chicken? I love Christine Baraski, but this insistence on making Beverly seem some sort of omniscient puppetmaster in this episode seems rather irksome.

Still setting the bar :icon_razz:

nice-work.jpg

• Like 5

I love Raj and I love the idea of him having (probably) more screentime living in 4A now, but his predicament seems so unrealistic to me it pisses me off. I dunno, maybe because he was the only one who I could relate to mentality-wise and now it's gone.

I know in the US and western Europe it's shameful to live with your parents after you're 18, and it's not cool to accept money from them, but it's not the same all over the world. I won't speak for most of India, but friends I have in India while making decent money mostly choose to live with parents and instead spend their paychecks on gadgets/traveling/entertainment. It's the same choice we mostly make here in eastern Europe. I know Raj has lived in the US for a long time but his original culture is still different, one where it's ok to take money from parents. If he's broke and wants it fixed, just take some of your dad's money and invest in something decent, kick-start your party planner career, I dunno, something. I understand cutting down the expenses, but if I were him I would still be taking the same amount from my dad but would switch to a cheaper car and a cheaper apt. , get rid of the cleaning lady etc, and save the rest. But renouncing his dad's money COMPLETELY to the point where he has to give his dog imodium cause he got rid of the dog walker? (I still can't let that one-liner go, it's so unethical towards your pet!) And now he contemplates living in a garage?..  seriously? all because of pride? 

Anyways, so I'm happy about Raj in 4A, but not happy for the reasons that got him there.

And the Shamy drama doesn't seem bad in any way in my opinion, I actually thought it was cute how Amy wasn't bothered by that!

And I agree with everything Beverly said about Shamy and Lenny (which is really sad cause I hate  her )

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JE7 said:

Oh FYI I am starting my vacation this morning so my internet connection will be spotty at best for the next week to ten days but I will be on when I can. I expect the thread to get locked down at least once while I am gone I don't want Tensor to feel neglected :icon_cheesygrin:

P5030.jpg

Bon Voyage and joyous travels, JE7! And should the site get locked down in your absence, I shall think of you and say: 'We'll at least it wasn't JE7 this time!' Think of us here battling it out in The Thunderdome!

And thank you for the excellent report 2L344! 

• Like 5

I've wanted to see Raj get some storyline focus or character growth for a long time, so if this move provides perhaps the starting point to do that then I would be happy to see it. I see it as something short-term, get Raj back on his feet financially maybe allowing him also to do some self reflection and then get him back out there looking to find some happiness. The breaking down and then rebuilding of Raj on all levels? I could totally get behind that!

As long as this development primarily focuses on Raj and is not being used as a storyline for whatever issues Lenny have or used as a way to create more friction between them as comedy then I see this as a potentially good development. Certainly something interesting to watch and follow to see what they have in store. :)

• Like 7

Very nice taping report. Random details.

Bit of a stretch Raj can't live on his own.

Beverly's advice was good for Shamy not for Lenny.

Amy concern about their relationship is legit. No safe haven for Sheldon if old room is gone.

Lenny had always been part of everyone's life. No big deal IMO if Raj is living there. While it was wrong for Penny to ask her brother to stay it wasn't because of marital problems.

Bernadette considering Raj staying with them . What was she thinking.

Sheldon thinking there relationship doesn't need a buffer. LOL

Thanks @2L344 for the report. I have to head out to work but just in quickly reading it I got that they could have had Sheldon go back and live in 4a but they didnt and Leonard and Penny have issues when they are alone and hopefully they write/work on that.

Just my opinion after a quick read before work. Thanks again for the report.

• Like 1

I must confess I did not see this Raj moving in to 4A plotline coming but after reading carefully @2L344 tr ( which I am very grateful for the usual generosity  and kindness from  forum fellows who attend tapings) it made some sense. Raj needs to cut with some old habits money speaking  for he could recover from the huge debts he put himself in, even with his parents economical support. Sharing a place and bills migth be a good way for he get used to be more rational about money and also about being a more thoughfull man about his decisions and choices his life related.

I just hope this new live arrangements between Raj and lenny could bring some funny and thoughtfull interactions among these characters and not a possible friction to the couple. And mostly it might be a temporary arrangement as we could see some growth in Raj and he might be put his life back on track, single or taken.

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, 5Mississippis said:

Bon Voyage and joyous travels, JE7! And should the site get locked down in your absence, I shall think of you and say: 'We'll at least it wasn't JE7 this time!' Think of us here battling it out in The Thunderdome!

And thank you for the excellent report 2L344! 

"We don't need another hero...."

• Like 3

Thanks for the great TR @2L344. I just want to ask you something, as it is bugging me since reading the report. Lenny asked Raj to move in right. Then we have Raj asking howardette if he can spend the night because lenny are fighting over him staying or where they fighting over something else or just fighting for the sake of it as has been shown this season so far. I don't get why they were fighting or am I missing something and misreading the TR.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 4

IMO Raj living with Lenny is utter bullshit. So, as I see it Shamy can live together by themselves, but Lenny can't. In a previous episode Penny even seem relieved that Raj had said no, and a couple of episodes later he goes back on his words, and they accept it? Really? And... Leonard is fine with having the guy who almost slept with his now wife sleeping in the next room, listening to how they make love? I'd hope he'd grow some balls and just say no. This is almost as bad as the Randall thing. Hope they made the decision together as pathetic as it was. Besides they're married, recently married, and can't seem or want or need to be by themselves? They apparently always need a crutch or interference of some sort? It is as if they are by themselves they can't relate to each other. This is almost the LA all over again. I knew the writers were going to pussy out in one way or another in the end. I'm really disappointed.

I have to admit I do not like this storyline of Raj moving in with lenny. I'm worried where it could lead and what the writers are up to. And with all the lenny fighting I don't trust them and I definitely don't trust raj who doesn't care to sleep with any of his friends partners. I hope I'm wrong but the way tptb have used conflicts from previous seasons a lot this season. I just hope we do not get a repeat of season 4 final and cliffhanger in 10x24.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, JE7 said:

I expect the thread to get locked down at least once while I am gone I don't want Tensor to feel neglected :icon_cheesygrin:

If it does, it may not be me.  After this last TR, I have some thinking to do. 

• Like 2

Raj was upset because he upset Sheldon (maybe he later realized he overreacted when he called Sheldon a jerk), but mostly because Beverly's revelation about Raj replacing sheldon as a buffer was a catalyst for Lenny drama- Leonard angrily jumps on Skype, Penny feels defensive about her brother, Leonars is now afraid that Beverly might be right, and Penny sees Leonards reaction as maybe weak.

They dont fight WITH Raj, and Penny made it clear too, but Raj is feeling guilty. The theme with him in this episode, and he talks about it with Stuart, is feeling guilty about using friends and beeing a leech. That, coupled with the in-fighting with Lenny and Sheldon getting upset about his own relationship insecurity, had Raj fleeing the apartment building.

Raj's note to Lenny was short but says some of this, I just cant remember the details becauae Johnny flubbed his linea reading it and everyone howled!

Thank you for explaining and hope you had a great time. I still dont understand how it could lead to a fight, couldnt they have sat down and talked about it, like couples do instead of turning it into drama. Why is it that every single lenny interaction has to be turned into a fight. It's getting boring and to be honest I'm getting sick of it. I fear for their future.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, 2L344 said:

Raj was upset because he upset Sheldon (maybe he later realized he overreacted when he called Sheldon a jerk), but mostly because Beverly's revelation about Raj replacing sheldon as a buffer was a catalyst for Lenny drama- Leonard angrily jumps on Skype, Penny feels defensive about her brother, Leonars is now afraid that Beverly might be right, and Penny sees Leonards reaction as maybe weak.

They dont fight WITH Raj, and Penny made it clear too, but Raj is feeling guilty. The theme with him in this episode, and he talks about it with Stuart, is feeling guilty about using friends and beeing a leech. That, coupled with the in-fighting with Lenny and Sheldon getting upset about his own relationship insecurity, had Raj fleeing the apartment building.

Raj's note to Lenny was short but says some of this, I just cant remember the details becauae Johnny flubbed his linea reading it and everyone howled!

Thank you for the very well done TR @2L344, as well as this update.  Greatly appreciated.  Not sure that I am in favor of Raj residing in 4A.  This is one of those "see it for yourself" types of episodes.  Anxiously awaiting where this will lead.  Liked that you told us Kaley addressed the renewal.  Any other bts things???  Anyway...Thanks again!!

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Tonstar17 said:

Why is it that every single lenny interaction has to be turned into a fight. It's getting boring and to be honest I'm getting sick of it. I fear for their future.

I'm no longer sick of it, I just no longer care.    I keep hearing this will fix their problems, but if the writing of the last three years is any indication, any thinking along those lines is a fools hope.  It's not a watch and see for me, I'm not willing to watch ANOTHER, Lenny fight. At this point, I'd would almost rather see them break up, than fight every week.

• Like 9