Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

16,008 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, RJ1013 said:

In my opinion, Penny is missing something important. This forum is very ship-oriented, so I understand that the concerns about Lenny are at the forefront of everyone’s minds, but I personally don’t think her relationship is the source of her ongoing discontent. I think she loves Leonard very much, but there’s more to life than just one’s relationship.

Her dream of becoming an actress was an important piece of her character, and it’s part of what made her so different from the others on the show. The writers have yet to fill in any kind of new hopes or dreams for her, so it makes some sense to me that she would be floundering.

It’s natural to have goals and aspirations that motivate us, and it’s not been clear for a long time what drives Penny. She mentioned a house and kids recently, but that felt out of the blue. They’ve not previously shown her to want those things anytime soon. I think maybe she’s been trying to figure out what it is that she does want, and that can be a frustrating process that’s difficult to express to others when you don’t even know quite what you’re looking for yourself. At her age it’s pretty common. I’ve heard it called a quarter-life crisis.

Anyway, I think what has been missing for her character for years now is a true pursuit or goal beyond her relationship. She’s surrounded by others who are successfully pursuing their scientific passions and other interests in life, and I think she needs a dream to pursue again too. And none of that is Leonard's responsibility, of course. It's something she'd need to find for herself.

I’d like to see her find some kind of new creative outlet—something very non-scientific that would help her stand out from the others again. She could keep her mature character growth as well as her practical job and still develop a passion for painting, sculpting, or even a team sport. It might be fun to see a return of the Penny of earlier seasons who stood out from her friends with her own unique interests.

That’s what I think her character needs, but who knows what the writers have planned, if they even have a plan for her. 

Agree. Penny was the person on show who balanced the non nerdy and geek part from  the guys and later the female character who had not a science degree from any sorts. Personally and maybe I am in minority about this, I would like to see Penny having a nice goal to anchieve career related as the actress dream seemed to be a ship that sailed long time ago. Surely having children would be awesome but imo Penny doesnt represent the kind of woman who got married and only dream to have a house with a white  fence and children  playing around the garden. She could make so many things related with her hobbies which would be interesting to see as she is not a nerdy neither a geek person. Maybe in next two years we might see more about what makes her happy as woman and wife.

Edited by spidergirl
RJ1013, veejay, Sah and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

1 minute ago, spidergirl said:

Agree. Penny was the person on show who balanced the non nerdy and geek part from  the guys and later the female character who had not a science degree from any sorts. Personally and maybe I am in minority about this, I would like to see Penny having a nice goal to anchieve career related as the actress dream seemed to be a ship that sailed long time ago. Surely having children would be awesome but imo Penny doesnt represent the kind of woman who got married and only dream to have a house with a white  fence and children  playing around the garden. She could make so many things related with her hobbies which would be interesting to see as she is not a nerdy neither a geek person. Maybe in next two years we might see more about what makes her happy as woman and wife.

Do you really think that the writers will make those plots in season 11 and 12 for Penny, if you look back how season 9 and 10 has been for Penny.

Why would the writers all of a sudden be interested in Penny's hobbies ?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

1 minute ago, Lagernisse said:

Do you really think that the writers will make those plots in season 11 and 12 for Penny, if you look back how season 9 and 10 has been for Penny.

Why would the writers all of a sudden be interested in Penny's hobbies ?  

Because it would be clever from them . There are two more seasons , which might mean more 48 episodes and if they keep things like they are at moment for Penny, what would be the interest for follow her character? Giving suddenly a baby and it would be everything fixed?

Sorry if I sound a bit cold here but I am being totally honest, Penny needs to have an interisting plotline for the future and I would keep follow her, course. A character imo doesn't be only characterized by their  marital status , that's  why I keep my hopes up that we may see more about Penny in upcoming episodes.

veejay, RJ1013, JohnPhD and 3 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

20 minutes ago, Lagernisse said:

Do you really think that the writers will make those plots in season 11 and 12 for Penny, if you look back how season 9 and 10 has been for Penny.

Why would the writers all of a sudden be interested in Penny's hobbies ?  

 

12 minutes ago, spidergirl said:

Because it would be clever from them . There are two more seasons , which might mean more 48 episodes and if they keep things like they are at moment for Penny, what would be the interest for follow her character? Giving suddenly a baby and it would be everything fixed?

Sorry if I sound a bit cold here but I am being totally honest, Penny needs to have an interisting plotline for the future and I would keep follow her, course. A character imo doesn't be only characterized by their  marital status , that's  why I keep my hopes up that we may see more about Penny in upcoming episodes.

yes1.gif.b01718e64033d6a245e3d98311663d7c.gif

:shy:

JE7, sarah7, spidergirl and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Totally off topic, but is anyone else miffed as to actors aren't interviewed or seen doing more TV appearances to promote the show?

I'm a big fan of The Walking Dead and those guys really hustle for their money. They work roughly the same amount of months as TBBT but for much longer hours, yet you see them appearing together or alone quite a lot. They even have that live show after the main show airs. Given the fact that the TBBT actors are paid so much money, I would have thought the network or production company would have them doing more promotion than they currently do.

I just wish we could see them appearing together a little more.

2L344, Lagernisse, JE7 and 3 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

7 minutes ago, Tenji said:

Totally off topic, but is anyone else miffed as to actors aren't interviewed or seen doing more TV appearances to promote the show?

I'm a big fan of The Walking Dead and those guys really hustle for their money. They work roughly the same amount of months as TBBT but for much longer hours, yet you see them appearing together or alone quite a lot. They even have that live show after the main show airs. Given the fact that the TBBT actors are paid so much money, I would have thought the network or production company would have them doing more promotion than they currently do.

I just wish we could see them appearing together a little more.

When TBBT reaches Walking Dead ratings things might change. Off the top of my I can't even tell you where AMC is on my cable provider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

1 hour ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Even if you weren't with your husband at the time, and were in fact, in a physical relationship with someone else?

Yes. Then again I'm one of those people who would never go after a best friend's ex. Ever. And Raj has a history of lusting after his friends' partners. 

1 hour ago, RJ1013 said:

In my opinion, Penny is missing something important. This forum is very ship-oriented, so I understand that the concerns about Lenny are at the forefront of everyone’s minds, but I personally don’t think her relationship is the source of her ongoing discontent. I think she loves Leonard very much, but there’s more to life than just one’s relationship.

Her dream of becoming an actress was an important piece of her character, and it’s part of what made her so different from the others on the show. The writers have yet to fill in any kind of new hopes or dreams for her, so it makes some sense to me that she would be floundering.

It’s natural to have goals and aspirations that motivate us, and it’s not been clear for a long time what drives Penny. She mentioned a house and kids recently, but that felt out of the blue. They’ve not previously shown her to want those things anytime soon. I think maybe she’s been trying to figure out what it is that she does want, and that can be a frustrating process that’s difficult to express to others when you don’t even know quite what you’re looking for yourself. At her age it’s pretty common. I’ve heard it called a quarter-life crisis.

Anyway, I think what has been missing for her character for years now is a true pursuit or goal beyond her relationship. She’s surrounded by others who are successfully pursuing their scientific passions and other interests in life, and I think she needs a dream to pursue again too. And none of that is Leonard's responsibility, of course. It's something she'd need to find for herself.

I’d like to see her find some kind of new creative outlet—something very non-scientific that would help her stand out from the others again. She could keep her mature character growth as well as her practical job and still develop a passion for painting, sculpting, or even a team sport. It might be fun to see a return of the Penny of earlier seasons who stood out from her friends with her own unique interests.

That’s what I think her character needs, but who knows what the writers have planned, if they even have a plan for her. 

Great post. I think the idea of Penny needing something to be passionate about apart from her marriage could be interesting. I just have zero faith in TPTB to properly dive into this. 

JE7, hokie3457, Carlos and 5 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Someone commented on the length of the show awhile back. It's not 20 minutes. It's more like 17 minutes. If they renew, God knows what we'll get. Maybe 15 and a lot more product placement? But who remembers what kind of convention they went to when Penny was signing autographs and Leonard wound up telling all the geeks about how she married him? 

Edited by Die Zimtzicke
Lost quote somehow. Trying to clarify..
serenaded214 and Jonny like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

19 minutes ago, No Regrets said:

Yes. Then again I'm one of those people who would never go after a best friend's ex. Ever. And Raj has a history of lusting after his friends' partners. 

Great post. I think the idea of Penny needing something to be passionate about apart from her marriage could be interesting. I just have zero faith in TPTB to properly dive into this. 

What she ^^^^ said.  Would it be great to see Penny have something to stir her passion?  Sure. But, it was season six when she first mentioned it( she's passionate about her friends, remember?  Nothing else Penny? How about shoes) and last year with the psychologist( and we still don't know about why she doesn't want to talk about marrying Leonard).  Since it's been going on for four years, while I agree it would be nice, TPTB haven't indicated they have the slightest interest in doing anything about it. 

JE7, Lagernisse, bfm and 2 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, vonmar said:

Penny dreaded going to Comic Con. She pretended that she wanted to go.  There's a difference. 

I don't agree with most of 3ku11's post but in regards to the bolded part you responded to, my take away from it was that even though she dreaded going to comic con she was going to go because it was something that Leonard liked to do.

I guess it comes down to each couple. If both partners are willing to do something they don't like because it pleases their SO's I think that's great, and if they have no problem with their partners going by themselves or with some other friends because they don't like the activity, that's also fine. I think the problem arises when either of the parties is not OK with the arrangement.

19 hours ago, snapepans said:

Thank you for saying this.

The bold part reminded me something I forgot to mention:

Overall, I love 1017, I think it was a funny episode, I laughed a lot. But, there was one plot that I just felt so cringe-worthy. 

Penny said: "Well, it's no different than when Sheldon used to climb in bed with us during a thunderstorm."

I mean, SERIOUSLY??? I get that the writers wanted to tell us that Sheldon is just like Lenny's child or dog or whatnot. But they didn't have to put them in the same bed......This plot was just so cringe-worthy that I just couldn't believe that the writers went there. OMFG.

In regards to the bolded part I'm 100% with you. Besides being cringe-worthy that is soooooo creepy. IMO the writers have pushed the "threesome" of Penny Leonard and Sheldon waaaaaay too much. It makes me uncomfortable.

Edited by Carlos
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Gotta say regarding the thunderstorm line...I didn't find it creepy because I don't see any romantic/sensual vibe whatsoever to Sheldon and Penny. I see them as mother-child/siblings nothing more (that's why I have a lot of trouble reading romantic Shenny suggestions). Sheldon himself said that exactly. It was another Lenny-are-his-surrogate-parents line.

Sah, john2p, veejay and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

3 hours ago, Mario D. said:

This is so true. Cannot see how Leonard can be comfortable in this situation knowing what had transpired with Penny and Raj. How can he be intimate with his wife knowing Raj is on the other side of the wall. 

Leonard was perfectly fine landing in Priya's shuttle bay while Raj was in the next room.

Sah, Capt. Hilts and Jonny like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

27 minutes ago, Tensor said:

A near forty year old, who gets into the bed of his friend and his friend's wife, because he's afraid of a thunderstorm, is creepy.  Aside from any other vibe.

I'm not saying this is good or normal. It certainly isn't. But creepy to me would be if he started a move on any of them...but that's my view.

Edited by bfm
typo
john2p, spidergirl and Sah like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

13 hours ago, Tensor said:

In the tag of the episode where Lenny got the RA, it was specifically mentioned that Penny, if questioned, can't say things are fine, if they aren't.  In the Thursday show, Leonard asked if Penny wanted to go, and Penny agreed to go, even though she didn't want to go. A violation of the RA.  So, the writers don't even follow their own show, as this was just over a month ago.  Again, the RA was simply a way to get more Sheldon into that particular episode.  

Just one more example of something simply dropped. I doubt the RA still exists in the minds of the writers or it could have been worked into that last episode. Much like the luminous fish that existed only in one tag scene. I think the writers follow their own show  they just don't consider all the details important enough to write them out of existence when they discard them.

JE7 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Well, now he has Amy to cuddle up to, when he's frightened by thunder.

And it is the best cure for his fear, hehe!

Edited by spidergirl
Sah likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

14 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Well, now he has Amy to cuddle up to, when he's frightened by thunder.

4a is only across the hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

19 minutes ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Well, now he has Amy to cuddle up to, when he's frightened by thunder.

Or has a bad dream.

Or thinks he saw a spider.

Sah likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

Gotta say regarding the thunderstorm line...I didn't find it creepy because I don't see any romantic/sensual vibe whatsoever to Sheldon and Penny. I see them as mother-child/siblings nothing more (that's why I have a lot of trouble reading romantic Shenny suggestions). Sheldon himself said that exactly. It was another Lenny-are-his-surrogate-parents line.


And I think I continue to enjoy the show because I don't stalk the dialogue looking for one off punchlines to dwell on and critique every episode . Not directed at anyone in particular, just my overall approach to watching the show.

Just like I'm against the Raj living with Lenny plot not from some fear of a repeat of 4.24 but because it unnecessarily interferes with time for Lenny to sort out their issues on screen alone.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hokie3457, mirs1, bfm and 5 others like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Itwasdestined said:

 


And I think I continue to enjoy the show because I don't stalk the dialogue looking for one off punchlines to dwell on and critique every episode . Not directed at anyone in particular, just my overall approach to watching the show.

Just like I'm against the Raj living with Lenny plot not from some fear of a repeat of 4.24 but because it unnecessarily interferes with time for Lenny to sort out their issues on screen alone.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

 

Yeah I think we all know 4.24 won't happen. It seems absurd to even suggest that imo. Considering the current status quo of the show. Theirs no plot device existing. I just think the whole 4.24 thing is still a sensitive subject for Lenny fans. So clearly the hysteria is based on emotion not rational Haha. It's funny seeing the last episode was very positive for Lenny. And it was a decent episode. This forum is still full of angst over a Vague Raj moves in story.

Edited by 3ku11
Sah likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

5 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

I don't think Penny owes Leonard an explanation.

When she and Raj ended up in bed, Penny and Leonard weren't together, and Leonard was in a relationship with Priya.

Penny had every right to sleep with whoever she chose.

ETA: I feel the same applies to The Plimpton Stimulation.

Leonard didn't owe Penny an explanation, for his behavior with Elizabeth Plimpton.

Yes  What you say is true, but we all saw how hurt Leonard was and now that they are married I think she can tell him how that all came about.  Penny even admitted that she hurt Leonard  when she told Amy

Sah likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted

1 minute ago, Mario D. said:

Yes  What you say is true, but we all saw how hurt Leonard was and now that they are married I think she can tell him how that all came about.  Penny even admitted that she hurt Leonard  when she told Amy

I Sorry but Leonard sleeping with some random woman. Is not the same thing as Penny sleeping with Raj. Raj was one of his best Friends and one of the main characters. I don't care that Penny was single. For this show that was crossing major boundaries. It's in the past now. But Wgat they did with that storyline was going way too far.

bfm, veejay and legacy99 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now