Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

16,004 posts in this topic

Posted

Please. No Lisa Kudrow. There are better choices for Penny's Mom, for instance, Cynthia Watros.

JE7, 5Mississippis and Judith like this

Posted

Deadline Hollywood, as late as last week was reporting an August 10th start date for production of Season 10.

IMO, there are several things that are (were) in play here....

first and foremost, the availability of the regular cast

second, as the writers are already back at work, what may or may not be happening script wise

third, if there are going to be guest stars in episode one (and possibly episode two) getting those people contracted to appear

Maybe we'll get more info from the Comic Con writers panel.

Desdemona, Kev0821, Jonny and 2 others like this

Posted

13 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

Please. No Lisa Kudrow. There are better choices for Penny's Mom, for instance, Cynthia Watros.

I don't think theirs any better choice to play Penny's mother then Lisa Kudrow. Theirs no better choice imo, but I Respect your opinion. 

Posted

8 hours ago, djsurrey said:

I don't really see the point of ending it that way. It would be more interesting to see how they deal with being parents.

To you. For me seeing the smart and beautiful babies would be the perfect way to tie up the series. To have an homage to the pilot on the last episode of the series would be a perfect way to end the whole thing, IMO.

mjc45, JE7, Lagernisse and 3 others like this

Posted (edited)

Yeah I think it would be more interesting to see the Smart and Beuatiful babies wrap up the series. That would be perfect. Homaging the pilot.  The last epiosde Penny gives Birth. And although that was a set up joke. Tptb know Our Babies well be Smart and Beautiful is kinda like the shows mission statement. IMO they could easily wrap this show up in one episode. So I woulden't be surprised to See S10 finaie the Series Final, like it was in Friends. Penny gives Birth, episode before Shamy get married. The End :cheese:. I am sorry but wathcing the couples Lenny and Howardette deal with being parents, does not interest me in the slightest at all. One is enough. I sincerly hope we never see kids on set in this show. Hopefully the show does not go long enough for that to happen. NOt that I hate kids, well most of them lol. I just don't want to see kids on this show, just my personal preference. 

Edited by 3ku11
Carlos and Lagernisse like this

Posted

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:11 PM, BigBang15 said:

IMO Lisa Kudrow is 1,000,000 times a better choice than Cynthia Watros to be Penny's mom, but hey, that's just me.

3ku11, No Regrets and Kathleen like this

Posted

On 6/7/2016 at 4:11 AM, BigBang15 said:

I agree tbh. I hate Friends and anything related to that stupid, over-overrated show so I wouldn't want Kudrow on this one. Cynthia Watros looks like a very good choice.

BigBang15 and JE7 like this

Posted

Wouldn't Cynthia Watros be way too young? It's not just that she's playing Penny's mother but she'd also be wife to Keith Carradine and lbr the guy could be playing her dad! I think whoever they cast will probably rather be around 55-65 years old instead of looking like they could be Penny's older sister.

djsurrey, JE7 and mirs1 like this

Posted (edited)

I wonder if we'll be getting any spoilers before the first taping...

@April they could age her...OR she could play Alfred's girlfriend who will attend Lenny's wedding and contribute to the chaos made by Alfred/Beverly/Mary. So depending on how they handle things Alfred could end up being portrayed as a bit of a player and with his ex-wife, the woman that he left his ex for and Mary there things could get chaotic very quickly.

Edited by Judith
JE7 likes this

Posted

1 hour ago, Judith said:

I wonder if we'll be getting any spoilers before the first taping...

@April they could age her...OR she could play Alfred's girlfriend who will attend Lenny's wedding and contribute to the chaos made by Alfred/Beverly/Mary. So depending on how they handle things Alfred could end up being portrayed as a bit of a player and with his ex-wife, the woman that he left his ex for and Mary there things could get chaotic very quickly.

Last year the writers were pretty spoiler-ish about the premiere, but if I remember correctly the spoilers started after the first taping, maybe because they knew that some information might have leaked out at that point. I think, as they have done for Judd Hirsch and June Squibb, tptb will announce well in advance the guest stars eventually casted as Penny's mother and\or brother. I'm half expecting such an announcement at SDCC, TBH, I hope I' won't be too disappointed if that doesn't happen.

Anyway, I don't think there's much room for other guest stars, apart the family members. There will be from 3 to 6 family members attending the wedding, 7 main characters (even if, with Simon busy for the USA premiere of "Florence Foster Jenkins" on August 12, I can see Howard having just few lines in the episode) and eventually Stuart (which should be invited to the wedding, too, it's a close friend); then there could be Raj bringing as his date a member of his harem, or both girls show up, who knows? It would be too confusing if we add also Alfred's girlfriend; unless they are planning a two part episodes, I don't see how they can fit everything in just as it is right now.

April, Judith and djsurrey like this

Posted (edited)

On 7/5/2016 at 11:34 PM, Carlos said:

To you. For me seeing the smart and beautiful babies would be the perfect way to tie up the series. To have an homage to the pilot on the last episode of the series would be a perfect way to end the whole thing, IMO.

Given Leonard's small stature and short sightedness, their kids could be plain looking and not so bright . 

Okay just kidding and don't wanna be a killjoy but it is kind of  sad that society that gives too much importance to woman's looks,  but not as much to the man's looks.  

Edited by serena_nyc1995

Posted

19 minutes ago, serena_nyc1995 said:
On 05/07/2016 at 8:34 PM, Carlos said:

Given Leonard's small stature and short sightedness, their kids could be plain looking and not so bright . 

Okay just kidding and don't wanna be a killjoy but it is kind of a sad commentary on society that gives too much importance to looks, especially a woman's,  but not the man's. 

I think babies are cute and cuddly. Smart and beautiful is just part of a parents imagination. Who could really say?

5Mississippis likes this

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Judith said:

I agree tbh. I hate Friends and anything related to that stupid, over-overrated show so I wouldn't want Kudrow on this one. Cynthia Watros looks like a very good choice.

I like Friends but it is kind of overrated. It has mainstream romance based appeal to the masses so I wont be surprised if tbbt writers bring Lisa Kudrow to follow the Friends model and pander. They already are.

Personally Seinfeld and Curb your enthusiasm are way way better, writing wise, comedy wise. But Steve molaro and co. can't really match the genius of Larry David imo. 

Edited by serena_nyc1995
nibbler747 and Carlos like this

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, djsurrey said:

I think babies are cute and cuddly. Smart and beautiful is just part of a parents imagination. Who could really say?

Exactly . All kids are cute but you can't really assume a kid will grow up to be smart and beautiful.  For all we know, they could grow up to  be the opposite . They may be lactose intolerant, short sighted and unable to enjoy the view in a parade(aka short) . And not be able to pass community college by inheriting Penny's intellect.

The original statement is based on Penny being good looking and Leonard being smart. Just saying that the kid may inherit Leonard's looks and Penny's intellect instead, rather than the other way round. Why assume that only the woman's looks factor into a kid's genetics ? LOL !

Edited by serena_nyc1995

Posted

Intelligence has been found to be associated with the X Chromosome.    Sons, getting only one X chromosome, get their intelligence from their mother.  In general, daughters tend to inherit their intelligence from their father's X Chromosome, as more of the father's DNA is active (about 60%).   As for appearance, those are tied to dominant and recessive genes, and so it really depends on how the parents dominant and recessive genes match up.  

So, in general,  the sons of Leonard and Penny would have Penny's intelligence, and would lean to Leonard's characteristics (with modifications based on dominant/recessive) .   Their daughters would have Leonard's intelligence, and would also lean toward Leonard's characteristics (again, with modifications based on dominant/recessive)

But since this is a fictional universe, the writers could choose to have all of their kids smart and beautiful, or more likely go for the laugh and go the other way.  OTOH, unless they do a flash forward, or ten years down the road a reunion special, we'll probably never see how any of the gang's kids turn out.  

mirs1 and Carlos like this

Posted

3 hours ago, serena_nyc1995 said:

I like Friends but it is kind of overrated. It has mainstream romance based appeal to the masses so I wont be surprised if tbbt writers bring Lisa Kudrow to follow the Friends model and pander. They already are.

Personally Seinfeld and Curb your enthusiasm are way way better, writing wise, comedy wise. But Steve molaro and co. can't really match the genius of Larry David imo. 

Thank you for mentioning Larry David and Curb your enthusiasm. Now I finally know the name of that weird show that I used to catch at 5 am and the name of the actor.

Under normal circumstances I'm not a fan of sitcoms - I'm an In treatment type of person. But you know, there's nothing normal about Shamy so I blame them :icon_cheesygrin:

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, Judith said:

But imo Cynthia Watros would be an awful choice, she looks nothing like what would resemble Penny's mother. Well thank god that awful show existed, or their would prob be no Big Bang. But I def don't think an actor portraying Penny's mother, should be pre determined on whether or not she was on a show someone may or may have not hated years ago. 

6 hours ago, serena_nyc1995 said:

Exactly . All kids are cute but you can't really assume a kid will grow up to be smart and beautiful.  For all we know, they could grow up to  be the opposite . They may be lactose intolerant, short sighted and unable to enjoy the view in a parade. And not be able to pass community college. 

The original statement is based on Penny being good looking and Leonard being smart. Just saying that the kid may inherit Leonard's looks and Penny's intellect instead, rather than the other way round. Why assume that only the woman's looks factor into a kid's genetics ? LOL !

I don't think thats the point. IF this was real life sure. But in a situational comedy like this one. IT's all cannon. That was the premise of the show. And some like my self would like in the series final to homage that. 

Edited by Tensor
Comments directed at other members and their opinions removed to comply with forum rules

Posted

11 hours ago, serena_nyc1995 said:

Okay just kidding and don't wanna be a killjoy but it is kind of  sad that society that gives too much importance to woman's looks,  but not as much to the man's looks.  

Of course! They could be ugly and stupid, I know! But for me it would so beautiful to tie the ending of the show to its beginning that I can't begin to tell you how much I would enjoy it. I disagree with you on your appreciation that society gives too much importance to women's looks. I think society in general puts too much emphasis on looks, period. A handsome guy with a killer body (abs, muscles, etc.) is or can be "revered" for his looks just as much as a woman.

Posted (edited)

It wouldn't surprise me if the series finale has some sort of flash forward scene and there you would see Lenny probably with a couple of kids doing something academic and the reference to the line in the pilot about smart and beautiful comes up then. I just don't see there being kids on the show (except the Howardette baby) unless the series ends up running for way longer than we think, so a season 12, 13 or beyond.

Edited by Jonny83
mjc45, mirs1, JE7 and 1 other like this

Posted

35 minutes ago, Jonny83 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the series finale has some sort of flash forward scene and there you would see Lenny probably with a couple of kids doing something academic and the reference to the line in the pilot abut smart and beautiful comes up then. I just don't see there being kids on the show (except the Howardette baby) unless the series ends up running for way longer than we think, so a season 12, 13 or beyond.

I really love your idea, and think it would be a very tactful way of ending the series. Personally, with Bernadette's pregnancy story-line, I wouldn't necessarily want to see an entire season of another baby-plot-point. (Coincidentally, other than the fact that "Lenny" have a unique relationship, I think the writers went the Vegas-route with the wedding, since so much time was spent on Howard and Bernadette's nuptials, during the fifth season.) A flash-forward scene like the one you described would be absolutely perfect, echoing back to the final seconds of the pilot.

JE7 and Jonny like this

Posted (edited)

On 7/7/2016 at 4:32 PM, Judith said:

Thank you for mentioning Larry David and Curb your enthusiasm. Now I finally know the name of that weird show that I used to catch at 5 am and the name of the actor.

Under normal circumstances I'm not a fan of sitcoms - I'm an In treatment type of person. But you know, there's nothing normal about Shamy so I blame them :icon_cheesygrin:

Yes, Larry David is also the creator/writer of Seinfeld and Curb your enthusiasm. They have a lot of humor based on social faux pass and  how absurd  social situations/norms can be . There is very less focus on romance and characters never change or grow or learn anything for 9 seasons but it is brilliant. A bit of dark humor and weirdness - I really like it. Maybe that is why I like early seasons Sheldon and early seasons Shamy more- they were weird funny creatures.

Sometimes there are more jokes in a 3 min  scene of CYE  than an entire episode of tbbt. But  Seinfeld/ CYE may not appeal to people who watch mostly for relationships, the sappy learning and growing stuff,  romance, weddings, kids etc etc. Also not for people who can't watch slightly unlikable and self absorbed characters. So it is a very different style from tbbt.

Edited by serena_nyc1995
Vanessa and Squonk like this

Posted

Curb is my absolute fave sitcom.  Never laughed so hard before.  My new tv show of late is Silicon Valley.  Very funny!

serena_1995 likes this

Posted

Jim has been asking for more 'pillow talk' for Shamy, but maybe the writers can do more for all of the couples in this regard.

Desdemona and Jedichic98 like this

Posted

2 hours ago, I Miss Dan said:

Jim has been asking for more 'pillow talk' for Shamy, but maybe the writers can do more for all of the couples in this regard.

That would be okay, each episode ends with pillow talk of one of the couples.  I remember they had a least two with Raj and Emily, one when she told him not to look in the closet and the other when they broke up and he comforted her.  Shamy could have some if they do it ever again, but Lenny needs to get their fair share, those two are the funniest anyway.

JE7, mjc45, legacy99 and 1 other like this