Tensor

[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

15,597 posts in this topic

Posted

23 hours ago, Bigbang.daily said:

If they have commissioned 48 ep will there be 48 ep.If the strike takes a few of s11 will there be more eps for s12

It doesn't work like that. If the season starts early enough, we might get 24 episode. If it starts late, we get whatever they can make (following union guidelines (4weeks-work/2weeks-off per six weeks)). If that's 24, 20, 17, that's what we get.

EVEN THOUGH the point is moot, because it looks like they settled so there won't be a strike).

joyceraye likes this

Posted

28 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

Also, gods preserve us from a season of wedding planning. Please, no. I can stomach, like, one bachelor party episode where the guys try to work through the traditional list....and just spend the evening at the comic book store. While the girls try to go hogwild....and also just spend the evening at the comic book store (#YouDon'tKnowThor'sLife #NeverForget)

Pleeeeese.

wowbagger likes this

Posted

10 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

Woah there! The phrase "making out" was NOT used. And, by the way, it was Penny who kind of forced Leonard's hand into telling her. He may have not told her if she didn't add the "no surprises and no regrets" and then Leonard says "no surprise" and she says "and no regrets (?)". That's when Leonard blabbed. But again the words "MAKING OUT" was NEVER used.

He said it in his dream in 9.2. I'm sure how Penny forced him to say it.

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, wowbagger said:

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

heeeeeeyyyyyyyyy, you know what's awesome? Long engagements with elaborate wedding planning!

:scratchhead:  .......................................................................

g_10.gif.1f93d05bcb05295857505bb5850d5cf8.gif

............................................................................:shy:

Edited by veejay
Shamyfan95 likes this

Posted (edited)

23 hours ago, Tensor said:

Again, it depends on how you interpret "kissing".  As a gerund, or a present participle, it could be unnumbered,  singular, plural, or even continuous. 

If I walk past a room, look in, and see two people kissing, and someone asked me what they were doing, i would say they were kissing, even though I would have no idea how many kisses there actually were. This whole argument is something I simply can't understand. I've tried on the IMDB boards and I've tried here. And I still don't get it.

Edited by Die Zimtzicke
jenafan likes this

Posted

21 hours ago, Tensor said:

Do you mean other than Raj telling Leonard she did?

Did you see the evil look on Raj's face, when he told him?

That was the look of someone causing mischief, and stirring things.

Posted

15 hours ago, djsurrey said:

I generally just try to forget the dumb boat kiss like I block out the marriage to Zack and slip with Raj. 

I could forget both of them if people would let me, but I can't forget that Leonard and Penny basically argued all the way to Vegas to get married and still got married. Especially since she had married Zac in Vegas, even if it was a joke wedding. I think the marriage had a horrible beginning and I wish it had not gone down that way. I wish they had turned around, went home, worked out their problems and then had a nice wedding if they had to get married. THAT was when the writers set a pattern of having them just tooling along without dealing with issues properly for me. I didn't like either wedding for many reasons, but the Vegas wedding I particularly disliked. And the whole time spent in the car is why.

10 hours ago, wowbagger said:

So clearly the show is often fucked up about female sexuality. Which means that the show is often fucked up about sexuality, and the female character bears the brunt of it. The show has problems. The showrunners have problems. It is delusional to think that any character is spared the many-coloured brush of bullshit. Or even the occasional spasms of clarity and thoughtfulness.

Best comment I've seen in ages. YES!

jenafan likes this

Posted (edited)

36 minutes ago, BigBang15 said:

Alcohol is not hypnotism. Most people won't take a dump on a floor (or street) when sober but drunk, it might happen.

I'm bored right now so what the hell...Yes, most people wouldn't do that when sober, because even if they'd want to take a dump, their inhibitions would stop them from actually doing that on the floor or in the middle of a street. When drunk though...They'll just do whatever they feel like doing. Which in this case would be publicly emptying their bowels.

Edited by Judith
shamyyellow likes this

Posted

7 hours ago, bfm said:

When I read about the cliffhanger it got me wondering. Why are they using the proposal as a cliffhanger? It doesn't seem so intriguing to me because I think Amy's answer is predictable. So I would like to hear some different views, if there are any.

She could possibly not say yes OR no immediately. When you can't say yes and you can't say no, you have to stick to the area between, a shade of gray. This could well be a paradoxical question for the writers and the best answer for those is sometimes silence. They can spend the whole beginning of the ep with the gang wondering what exactly has happened to Sheldon and then just have Sheldon and Amy discussing the possibility of and his motives for marriage later on. He  IS going to disappear as far as his friends are concerned is he not? Or has someone gotten more info that I'm forgetting? But I'd love something like that because it might give us the rest of the gang as a group at least part of the time, without them dealing directly with Sheldon or Amy. Which, much as I like those two characters, needs to happen some of the time.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, wowbagger said:

I mean, if I wanted, I COULD say that Leonard represents a particularly insidious sort of pseudo-liberal patriarchy in which men are entitled to the trophies of the beautiful women of their choice, for little more than the bare minimum of civilised adult behaviour, and never countenance even the possibility that they should take responsibility for any of their actions. Where they can have sex with a drunk woman, bandy about the thought of infidelity and/or actually tongue-kiss infidelity, fail to disclose information relevant to their spouse for two years, and still evade responsibility - can still, in fact, be implicitly touted as deserving of validation. Where they can cling to the narrative of victimhood because of which they are owed a pass, forever and ever amen.

I COULD say that, but I won't. Because, as I have said before, the show has a dodgy mindset which comes out sometimes through the treatment of ALL its characters. And it seems superfluous to reach for Sheldon as some sort of Ayn Randian archetype - or even as some sort of dystopian arch-misogynist. Why, when you have the clear misogyny of the way Penny is treated? This in a show where Bernie's ambivalence about motherhood and passion about her career are treated sympathetically and with nuance?

So clearly the show is often fucked up about female sexuality. Which means that the show is often fucked up about sexuality, and the female character bears the brunt of it. The show has problems. The showrunners have problems. It is delusional to think that any character is spared the many-coloured brush of bullshit. Or even the occasional spasms of clarity and thoughtfulness.

The double-standard between Penny's sexual behavior and Leonard's has always been a sore spot for me.  

Edited to add:  By the writers, not by members of this forum.  

AND the stereo-type that wanting to go shopping is what being a woman is all about.  I didn't get that memo.  

And same for all those folks that want Amy to "dress better."  I have a few friends that work in biology labs and they're cold.  And they remain cold for a few hours after work.  It actually makes sense that Amy is often depicted in colored t-shirt [do they say anything?], button down shirt and sweater.  For example, a friend worked in the blood lab at the Daniel Inouye Annex at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and was always cold.

Edited by Capt. Hilts
April, littleknee, jenafan and 3 others like this

Posted

10 minutes ago, Die Zimtzicke said:

She could possibly not say yes OR no immediately.

I'm wondering why she would say no. i mean, that we know, she just know he is spending time with Ramona, but she has not the information we have, so saying inmediately no, or wait i need to know why first is unfair. She only knows her boyfriend has crossed the country to propose, he can have had an ephifany while showering for all that she knows, assuming that is for the  wrong reasons is doubt without foundation. So I think she will say yes and ask "why now" later. 

bfm, jenafan and shamyyellow like this

Posted

Just now, Anita said:

I think she will say yes and ask "why now" later. 

I agree.

Posted

20 minutes ago, Anita said:

I'm wondering why she would say no. i mean, that we know, she just know he is spending time with Ramona, but she has not the information we have, so saying inmediately no, or wait i need to know why first is unfair. She only knows her boyfriend has crossed the country to propose, he can have had an ephifany while showering for all that she knows, assuming that is for the  wrong reasons is doubt without foundation. So I think she will say yes and ask "why now" later. 

Maybe all of a sudden he shows up and proposes? It seems out of thin air? Sheldon is very calculated and well planned. I don't think it unreasonable for Amy to think he may of done something wrong.

legacy99 likes this

Posted

3 hours ago, Chrismo said:

How many adults go to a public pool for swimming lessons? And how many people go swimming with someone after not seeing them for 8 years?

Adults who are not proficient at swimming and have been making an attempt to try new things might go to a public pool for lessons, especially if they run into someone they know and find out they have been swimming on an Olympic level and are offering to teach them. I've heard anything is possible...

2 hours ago, jenafan said:

Wasn't Leonard drunk, too?  Remind me, please?

If we are talking about the Yee-ha! sex, then no, he was not.

35 minutes ago, Anita said:

I'm saying they do not have to show her answer immediately. She can give it later. They can open with Sheldon being missing from California.

jenafan likes this

Posted

4 minutes ago, Chrismo said:

Maybe all of a sudden he shows up and proposes? It seems out of thin air? Sheldon is very calculated and well planned. I don't think it unreasonable for Amy to think he may of done something wrong.

It's not unreasonable, in fact it's reasonable that she thinks that the proposal has been triggered by something, but saying no or maybe is assuming the worst. The ring has been in his possesion for a while and she knows it, so marriage was on his mind.I think is more organic that she  says yes, if that is what she wants, and talk about why later. 

Jedichic98 and jenafan like this

Posted

Here is an interesting point (alright, interesting to me......).  With Sheldon, we see the ring when there is adversity.  The first time we saw it, he just got off the phone with her. She broke up with him when he was trying to make up.  The next time it is deployed in an effort to win her back, but he sees her with Dave.  Now, Ramona just gets done putting a move on him.....interesting.

legacy99, veejay and jenafan like this

Posted

1 hour ago, Capt. Hilts said:

The double-standard between Penny's sexual behavior and Leonard's has always been a sore spot for me. 

I've always hated the Penny slut jokes, when it is Leonard who is shown with the revolving bedroom door.

I also hate that Amy feels she has to validate everytime Sheldon wants sex.  Girl, if he is initiating, he wants it.  

I'd like to see Amy initiate instead of it always being about Sheldon and his desires.

Mario D., Carlos, Anita and 1 other like this

Posted

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Did you see the evil look on Raj's face, when he told him?

That was the look of someone causing mischief, and stirring things.

Yep stirring things by telling Leonard what Priya had been doing the night before. 

Posted

FYI, there are 2 sneak peeks for "The Gyroscopic Collapse" on YouTube. However, they haven't been posted by the official TBBT channel yet, so I assume they can't be posted here.

Posted

4 hours ago, Kathy2611 said:

A public pool is fine especially since they aren't swimming together.  One person is teaching another HOW to swim.  And in a public pool....it's fine.  I used to go to the pool all the time with whoever would go with me.  Regardless of whether they were male, female, whatever 

So did I !   When I read the reports I took it as Sheldon's recent willingness to be taught new motor skills by experts, plus his established difficulty in saying 'No' to Ramona when she's right. Whether the pool was for the general public or at the university might make a difference as to how much children's urine was in the water. ( It's sterile anyway. ) 

From a point of view of social appropriateness, it's one of those things that depends on circumstances. I don't think anybody would object to someone giving a swimming lesson to a beginner even if  they were of opposite sexes.  Likewise if they were both in the same club or competition team. However, I have heard of people who thought it bad form if they were both leisure swimmers out for fun.  OTOH I used to go swimming several times with my elderly neighbour's son and his children because her daughter-in-law didn't want to mess up her hairdo and he wanted to get into the pool on a cheap 'family' ticket. We bored everybody else in the car when we talked about Dr Who. I remember our first conversation on the subject to this day. I'd missed the episode in which The Master and his TARDIS first appeared and the chap explained it to me. I was thrilled because I'd been wondering about it for many years. That mattered a lot more than what anybody thought.

April and Kathy2611 like this

Posted

5 hours ago, hokie3457 said:

Yet another interesting post @jenafan.  One thing I would like to know (and maybe it is in the TR and I missed it....) is what is Ramona & Sheldon's relationship?   Has she been at CalTech all along or for a number of years and in another department or just off screen (like Mandy)?  Has she been friendly with Sheldon prior to the episode?  Did she know about Amy prior to the episode AND did she know Amy has just left before her sudden attention to Sheldon?  These are all things I would like to find out.

That being said, depending on the nature of their friendship (length and how often they interact)  I think that two people going alone swimming is a little strange.  That would be a great activity for the entire group to do, but, to me, the act of swimming is a little intimate.  Perhaps it is an age thing; sort of old fashioned?  I would love to hear some more opinions on this: swimming in a group v. swimming with only one other person.....

I was asking myself the same questions, because Ramona appears, out of the blue, after 8 years. So, I would not call "friend" a person who has not been mentioned for such a long time. I can call her "colleague" (apparently she is), but basically, for me, she is almost a stranger able to bring Sheldon to go to the swimming pool. And It's true that there are some people that can make Sheldon do things he does not want to and push him out of his comfort zone. But, usually they are people that he loves/trusts a lot.

I only think the writers could have found other pretexts to create worries in the gang and chosen a different motor for the proposal, handling it better.

Posted

38 minutes ago, vonmar said:

From TBBT You Tube Channel...

1. When speaking to Raj in the first clip, Penny is trying so hard not to quote both Elaine Bennis and Monica Geller Bing:  "Get out!"

2. Love the new inter-4th floor intercom system: cell phone-to-cell phone!

Posted

21 minutes ago, hokie3457 said:

1. When speaking to Raj in the first clip, Penny is trying so hard not to quote both Elaine Bennis and Monica Geller Bing:  "Get out!"

2. Love the new inter-4th floor intercom system: cell phone-to-cell phone!

It'll be nearly three days before I can get subtitles - Raj says Penny keeps sending him what ? Sounded like parking something ?