[Spoilers] Discussion: Season 10

Tensor

3 hours ago, gsxdoug said:

Season 3. And wasn't she was dating Leonard at the time? And he did peek.

My apoligies.

But what does Penny dating Leonard have anything to do with Sheldon? In season 9 when Sheldon tries to find another girlfriend, he considers Emily (he rules her out later only because of her hair and skin) and he knows Emily was dating Raj back then. Leonard even tells him "Maybe you should consider women who aren’t in serious relationships with your closest friends?"

As for the peek part... Ahhhh the memories. I haven't seen that for a while. I don't think that was proof of anything made intentionally by the writers. Especially not a proof to suggest Sheldon has desire for hot bodies because again, for all these years, I think one of the few consistent things about the show is Sheldon is not interested in hot girls like the other guys.

My point is Sheldon knows that Penny, in most people's eyes, are attractive, just like he knows the same about Mandy and Bernie. He knows what a hot girl is like. In this episode he may “thinks" he didn't consider Penny because he sees her as a nanny. But the truth is he doesn't find other girls who he doesn't consider as nannies hot either. IMO Sheldon is incapable of being aroused simple by someone's body.

Edited by camelliayao
Removed comment about members of a ship
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gsxdoug said:

Nobody can be that attractive and this good at a video game.

Sheldon in The Dumpling Paradox, S1E7

Aside from the fact that was season one and the writers were still testing waters with the characters' personalities, for example, Sheldon didn't knock three times at first. Sheldon used to curse in early seasons but  by the time of season 8, he couldn't even say "pain in the ass", etc; what you're saying here actually doesn't contradict to what I said. Sheldon knows Penny is attractive because he has common sense, he just can't be attracted to her physically, whether he sees her as a sister/nanny or not.

My guess is at first Sheldon and Leonard are kind of like Moss and Roy from the IT Crowd, where Sheldon is more socially awkward and nerdy than Leonard, but not as much as he is now. Over the years the writers adjust his personalities to the more extreme version, where it almost feels like he's asexual. Even after Shamy have coitus, the writers still go out of their ways to make sure Sheldon still doesn't have much interest in sex or in women. So to me, to somehow suggest Sheldon secretly had a crush on Penny physically but never acted out only because Penny was dating Leonard is absurd, because that is inconsistent with one of the things the show takes the most pride on, and that is Sheldon's "different".

I'm sensing other members are getting board here, so let's just agree to disagree.

Edited by camelliayao
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, bbtfan07 said:

The writers still threw another bone to the Shenny fans when Sheldon mentioned him thinking about her as a replacement for Amy..

How can penny be a replacement for Amy?

She's married to Leonard.

4 hours ago, camelliayao said:

I think what the writers are trying to tell us in this episode is how different it is "hot" means for other guys and for Sheldon.

Isn't that the same for all men, and indeed women?

We each have our own opinion, as to who is hot.

4 hours ago, serena_1995 said:

But don't Shamy shippers want Sheldon to be normal just like the other guys ?

I think we just want him to desire Amy.

4 hours ago, Kathy2611 said:

Once you hit that button, you can't seem to delete it.  And then when you go to quote something else later, the one you thought you deleted pops up.

Try posting it, then immediately deleting it.

Edited by Stephen Hawking

4 hours ago, Kathy2611 said:

How about during the next long hiatus, we all get together, hunt down the bastard that designed the quote function and kick his ass.  That'll give us something to do.

Recruit Penny to do it for us.

She's good at kicking people in the nuts. :icon_biggrin: 

4 hours ago, gsxdoug said:

I have to disagree that Sheldon doesn't find Penny attractive.

Agreed.

He even stated once, that she is attractive.

3 hours ago, gsxdoug said:

And he did peek.

The hero always peeks. :icon_biggrin: 

3 hours ago, jenafan said:

Did anyone else feel weird seeing Amy having tea with Leonard instead of Sheldon?

It's not the first time she's shared a drink with Leonard, with only the two of them present.

• Like 1

I'm keeping my overall thoughts on the episode to the episode thread and the shipping thread but I will add that Penny might be Sheldon's best friend now not Leonard and I am being deadly serious. Their friendship has really lost some of its spark and they need to get it back somehow, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 3

Just watched the episode. I'd give it a C minus, roughly, which is better than I thought it would be, so yay? I thought Howardette were charming. Ugh, Raj and Stuart made me want to crawl back into bed. Lenny had the obligatory 'Penny settled for Leonard, tee hee!' and 'Leonard thinks Sheldon ruined his life through a malicious Act of God over which he has no control whatsoever'. And we don't actually get to see Lenny enjoying their alone time in any meaningful way this episode, but we are assured that they've changed the locks (at least that's some proactive movement I guess?) and Leonard doesn't want Sheldon back. Although check out his jealousy at Amy wrangling bathroom schedule concessions from Sheldon! #Shelnard #Manlove

The Shamy stuff was....sure, fine. The hug was sweet. Shipper!Penny tearing up was cute. The rest? It followed the template of 'Sheldon Acts Out. Someone (Penny, Leonard or Amy) Talks Him Around. Sheldon Makes A Gesture.' It's a fairly classic Mary Sue Gets A Trophy format: Leonard tells Amy about how special she is to Sheldon, Sheldon frets about pushing Amy away preemptively so she doesn't get hurt, Shipper!Penny tells him sternly to shape up now to avoid hurting her now, and Sheldon makes a votive offering at the end of some totemic aspect of his personality that nobody else gets*. None of the story is about why Amy would want to be with Sheldon except for the privilege of seeing him turn into a Real Boy.** There's little in the episode about what pleasure either Amy or Sheldon themselves get from the relationship. But it has character after character echoing Our Hero's Importance To The Trophy, and an avowal of affection from the Trophy at the end. Huzzah!

Oh, and the dad thing was so completely overblown and unnecessary. The fight initially stems from Sheldon's control issues, and then mutates into something about arguments and how Sheldon doesn't like them. Which we already knew, and for which there is canonical material. There was absolutely no need to lumber the situation with a Primal Moment revelation which has only succeeded in freighting the Triple Knock with unnecessary psychosexual baggage. The fight didn't start being about hurting Amy. It was about letting go of Sheldon's obsessive need to control. But the conversation is about Sheldon pushing Amy away (like his control issues are somehow graver with her than they are with, ooohhhhh, anyone?) And yet after Nanny Penny's Wise Words, Sheldon still learns the lesson about control or something? So: success? 

*To be clear, I think the bathroom schedule is dumb and Amy was absolutely right to hold firm on it.

**at least the show has the self-awareness to name-check Pinocchio

Edited by wowbagger
  • Like 6

I must say I have enjoyed more last week s episode, it was funnier and worked better as a whole. Ep 5 was good in a few scenes, especially shamy and bernardette scenes.

I just love Howard and Bernie relationship.  He is so cute with his wife keeping his weird personality, hehe. Love Howard sexy voice, it always make laugh hard!

Raj and Stuart.imo, it was ok, not very funny. Unless they are a potencial couple? That would be an interisting story in tbbt universe, as it is not the first time  that a episode  might hint they really enjoying  hangging out together. But it is not likely to happen in this  show.

Lenny again without a story of their own? Their role as they helped shamy was nice, especiallly Pennny advice to Sheldon to amend what he said to Amy but they deserve more of only being couple conselours.

My favourite was shamy story. It was  an interisting  take on Sheldon s struglings as his relationship  with Amy takes to next level  ( proposal teasing alive and kicking, lol).

Shamy hug....I wrote about it in shamy thread for your sake in this thread.  I can say I loved it very much! :wink:

Edited by spidergirl
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, veejay said:

Penny, the show's new therapist and voice of reason. Yay!
Oh, do I miss some group therapies!

huggin.gif

Hinting at Penny's new career? Conflict resolution? Life coach? Counselor?

Maybe too much of a leap in terms of career path (she would need training) but she seems to be empathizing and getting to the root of issues. She's so much more mature now, especially compared to Leonard, it's striking.

Edited by Jonny
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, veejay said:

Penny, the show's new therapist and voice of reason. Yay!
Oh, do I miss some group therapies!

huggin.gif

I get what you mean! The new plots (the baby + the experiment) make emerge more than ever the subdivision PALS vs Howardette+Raj. I would like a group episode before Bernie gives birth...you know, just a way to say goodbye to the "old" times before a new element arrives in the group...We already know 10.6 won't be charm for that, maybe next one...

• Like 4

My opinion: in general a below average episode. The highlights for me were the scenes featuring Howard & Bernadette. So very often they get to spend time alone together. In this episode, their usual bickering turned quite cute and more than a little endearing. The rest for the most part was extremely disappointing. I really did not need to find out that one of Sheldon's most endearing quirks was due to a traumatic childhood event. Oh poor Sheldon! This won't be a popular statement, but I am not a fan of this new OPS. Also didn't need to see Penny begin to commiserate with OPS and complain about Leonard. I could go on and on, but just not an episode that I need to see again. I'm sorry, but that's my observation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 8

Have to say compared to most sitcoms, BBT quality is still very good. For every below average episode, their is a gem. Have to agree, part of the endering part of Sheldon, was his quirks. Knocking on the door e.t.c. To find out it generated from a childhood repressed memory. Its disturbing, not funny. It feels they are unearthing Sheldon's anxieites. Recreating history, for the sake of Storyline. If it is not broke, don't fix it, and if it is who gives a rat's ass. Stop over simplyfing things, and stop changing things. I feel like I am OCD, and I have come home to find my room completely changed, and freaking out arghhhhh!!! But But, its dark, lonely, and I am very scared.  IT feels they are putting so much focus into unearthing Sheldon, its like they got nothing left for the rest of the characters. And yeah yeah Penny bitched about Leonard, so did Leonard. It is a gag, the couples bitch and moan about each other every week for years now. You don't have to like it, but it is what it is. I kinda feel Leonard is not as close with Sheldon anymore, it feels he is ready to move on with Penny into the sunset. So Penny has become Sheldons best friend, and confidant. But that is just my two cents.   

Edited by 3ku11
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Jonny said:

Does anyone else think it's a bit weird that that have grouped them off as PALS and HBR completely in recent episodes? I guess from a storyline perspective it allows them to tell the stories and especially give Howardette some more focus with their storyline (which Simon and Melissa are acting so well btw).

But from a realism point of view and everything we know this is a close group of friends, extremely close and yet we haven't seen them interacting as a group or for example Lenny or Shamy interacting with HBR. Surely as they are so close they would be still interacting and especially offering Howardette support as they prepare for the arrival of their baby? Maybe that will come later and it's nothing major just comes across as a bit weird and maybe out of character.

I do hope soon (in the next few) we get a group episode with all together.  I have really missed that.  I'm sure as Bernadette's pregnancy comes to end, they've gotta all get together in some formats. 

• Like 7

I was thinking maybe tptb are trying to have their cake and eat it to making the lenny fans happy by letting lenny get married and giving the shenny fans hope with all of pennys snarky comments to sheldon about leonard

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JE7 said:

My two cents: I miss Sheldon, the quirky self centered but good hearted storm of condescension and political incorrectness who actually made me laugh. Now we get traumatized Sheldon with ever more mental/emotional issues and psychological "demons" which are pulled from nowhere on a semi regular basis. The man used to be eccentric now he is just fucked up, and that's just not funny.  IMO

This! 

As for the rest, I do enjoy the Howardette. 

Raj/Stuart was a lil weird.

The rest I really struggled to stay engaged.

I hope this is the last of Lenny being the counselors for Shamy.  Let them sort their own mess out.  If they have to, I'll take on screen snippets of how Lenny helped resolve whatever the Shamy issue of the day was. 

FWIW, I would love to see Lenny get a good juicy storyline.  Howardette have more to work with than they do.    

I could go for a group episode even if it was just filler. 

Edited by Denise07
  • Like 2

• Tensor locked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor locked and unlocked this topic
  • Tensor unlocked and locked this topic
  • Tensor pinned and unpinned this topic