Tensor

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Tensor said:

Penny talking to and explaining life to Sheldon, after Amy fails.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened here, Penny explaining life to Sheldon while Amy failed, not something silly like in Cohabitation when Sheldon was convinced by Leonard's Star Trek talk to do the experiment and not Amy's science talk. :icon_rolleyes:

2 hours ago, A Shamy gal said:

That is an option for Sheldon and he will likely do that.  But Leonard and Penny have no need for it and have never had any interest in flags, so why is it still there?

It gets turned upside down when Penny is on the warpath, Leonard does that for Sheldon so when he comes in he knows to try and be nice, as if it is going to kill him because if Penny goes all 'Nebraska' on him it might kill him.

6 hours ago, Judith said:

Yeah, that's exactly what happened here, Penny explaining life to Sheldon while Amy failed, not something silly like in Cohabitation when Sheldon was convinced by Leonard's Star Trek talk to do the experiment and not Amy's science talk. :icon_rolleyes:

I don't think the example in 10x04 has anything to do with this episode. It is like shifting the goal posts lol, sorry it is. Neither are mutually exclusive imo. Penny explaining life to Sheldon, something Amy has prooven she is incapable of (Sorry Cannon backs this up). Pretty much has no relevance, to Amy's science talk in 10x04. It's real life talk she is incapable of getting through to Sheldon, but that is jmo. 

And as for Lenny. Yes they are in kitchen island again, background role per usual. It's been like this for 3 seasons now, that has not changed at all. In terms of being an ensemble, I am struggling to suspend my disbelif with this show anymore. I am struggling to believe anything the show tells the audience anymore. Revolving the show around one character, you know who he is, is quite honestly stupidity. How many existensial lessons does this guy need to learn, I guess because of the degree of his evolvement, he well learn them faster then in the past. But it is the same old story. Like Penny being worn down, although I don't think for one second Penny is suggesting she settled, not for one second do I beleive that. Simply as their is a ton of corresponding evidence over the seasons, to repute this. Partic 10x01.

But TPTB try to sell these ideas about Lenny, but they don't make sense once you see them on tv. IT's like what do they have to talk about. Out of all the couples, they have prooven, they can communicate better then all the couples. Shamy can barley hold a conversation together at times. But oh I see Lenny have nothing in common, or have nothing to talk about. But its the old gags, old jokes, old cannon, old stories e.t.c. The show just won't, or can't let go of. I hope Lenny get a story soon. But I have resigned to the reality. It is either The Sheldon Cooper show now, or The Shamy show. IT is just over exposure. I truley beleive Lenny are no longer two of the main characters. They are supporting characters. They stand behind the kitchen and respond. That's who they are now. Sheldon and Amy are the two main characters now. The Rodents under the floor boards, have more presence in this show now then Lenny. Heck if Lenny got under the floor boards, that would be an improvement LOL.

Edited by 3ku11

I'd like to be prepared for understanding tomorrow night's episode.  I'm a bit confused over what the point of Amy's lie is supposed to be. It seems for two weeks she's either i) kept from Sheldon the information that her apartment was ready or ii) told him that it wasn't. Whichever one she did, what did she have to gain ? What did she think would happen if she'd told him when her place was ready ? Had she got the idea he'd expect her to go home by herself, leaving him either with nowhere to go or alone in 4B ?  Really ?

She's committed to five weeks in 4B anyway because it's neutral ground even if 314 is ready early, or, if the five weeks are up then they should have discussed the outcome of the experiment scientifically and made a decision about living arrangements. She wants to carry on living with Sheldon we know, so after the five weeks, why would it matter where ? Is she seriously afraid of a scientific discussion ending in living separately ? Is she still so insecure about Sheldon's position that she has to mislead him ?  I find that hard to believe, but is that how she's been thinking ?

Does she prefer that poky little flat of Penny's to her own bigger place with separate bathroom, bigger space to cook and eat, and room for her harp, fax and printer, not to mention Sheldon ? If so, why not say so ? She could choose that, it's a free country. Was she second-guessing Sheldon, that he would prefer to stay near 4A without giving him the option ? I can't make head or tail of her motives. Somebody explain, please.

1 hour ago, joyceraye said:

I'd like to be prepared for understanding tomorrow night's episode.  I'm a bit confused over what the point of Amy's lie is supposed to be. It seems for two weeks she's either i) kept from Sheldon the information that her apartment was ready or ii) told him that it wasn't. Whichever one she did, what did she have to gain ? What did she think would happen if she'd told him when her place was ready ? Had she got the idea he'd expect her to go home by herself, leaving him either with nowhere to go or alone in 4B ?  Really ?

She's committed to five weeks in 4B anyway because it's neutral ground even if 314 is ready early, or, if the five weeks are up then they should have discussed the outcome of the experiment scientifically and made a decision about living arrangements. She wants to carry on living with Sheldon we know, so after the five weeks, why would it matter where ? Is she seriously afraid of a scientific discussion ending in living separately ? Is she still so insecure about Sheldon's position that she has to mislead him ?  I find that hard to believe, but is that how she's been thinking ?

Does she prefer that poky little flat of Penny's to her own bigger place with separate bathroom, bigger space to cook and eat, and room for her harp, fax and printer, not to mention Sheldon ? If so, why not say so ? She could choose that, it's a free country. Was she second-guessing Sheldon, that he would prefer to stay near 4A without giving him the option ? I can't make head or tail of her motives. Somebody explain, please.

Let's question Sheldon's motives too huh lol. It takes two to tangle. What is his motives for wanting to live with Amy, in an apt he has deemed in the past unsanitary? If he wanted to make a stink about it, he could tell Lenny I am living in 4A, you go to 4B (Maybe that is what well happen eventually, but prefer Lenny at 4A) Of course Lenny have made their claims at 4A now haha. i also feel uneasy about Sheldon giving 4A up so easily. Seeing it is Sheldon, who knows if he wakes up and changes his mind. As for Amy's motives, I don't think the place is the problem. I feel she would live in a rubbish bin, if it meant still living with Sheldon haha. 

Edited by 3ku11

After reading the last few pages of posts I think this thread needs an avatar of its own on the main page, just so people know what to expect, I suggest the following :rtfm:

stock-vector-retro-vintage-extra-salty-tin-sign-with-grunge-effect-97876916.jpg

Edited by JE7

When they put up the subtitles for Klingon I thought of the line out of white and nerdy...

Do vector calculus just for fun
I ain't got a gat but I got a soldering gun
Happy Days is my favorite theme song
I could sure kick your butt in a game of ping pong
I'll ace any trivia quiz you bring on
I'm fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon

HM72JiH.jpg

and

Only question I
Ever thought was hard
Was do I like Kirk
Or do I like Picard

kirk_picard1.jpg

Edited by djsurrey

6 hours ago, joyceraye said:

I agree with you, it doesn't make much sense if they were still under that 5 week experimental time-frame. If her apartment was ready before the actual 5 weeks was up well judging from Sheldon's rant in the first episode of the experiment goes by he would have still stuck to the 5 week deadline. We must be under this timeframe otherwise the decision about permanent living arrangements would had already been made and the status of Amy's apartment would be moot.

The only reason I can think of is that they had a disagreement recently off screen on the scale perhaps of the bathroom schedule. For example an argument over the thermostat temperature settings or something. And because of that disagreement she thought Sheldon would take that out had she told him about her apartment status.

Truth be told I think it's one of those storylines they have done in the past where what they have previously stated to be the case they forget about or think they can bend what they have previously said. In other words they just wanted to create a bit of drama to float this idea that the whole thing could potentially fall through but then wanted to produce the twist that in fact the opposite happens and it becomes permanent.

However it actually was set up or plays out I am very happy with the end outcome. :)

Edited by Jonny

RE Amy's lie:

I'm not sure what's so confusing about this. Amy's apartment being uninhabitable for 5 weeks was the reason they set up that time span. And even when Sheldon agreed to the experiment he warned her that she shouldn't be disappointed if like Star Trek it got cancelled after 3. And I think that is simply the answer here. No big mystery, IMHO.

22 minutes ago, April said:

RE Amy's lie:

I'm not sure what's so confusing about this. Amy's apartment being uninhabitable for 5 weeks was the reason they set up that time span. And even when Sheldon agreed to the experiment he warned her that she shouldn't be disappointed if like Star Trek it got cancelled after 3. And I think that is simply the answer here. No big mystery, IMHO.

So she feared he still might cancel ?

I think it might be even simpler.  Amy might have said: "Look,  the renovations might take a lot longer than I thought, we have to live here a couple of additional weeks, or so"; this way she can prolong the experiment and enjoying Sheldon's company a bit more...

Edited by mirs1

6 hours ago, joyceraye said:

all excellent questions that I don't think the show has the wherewithal or desire to answer. I think that this was a plot-driven decision. As in, there were certain plots that the writers wanted to make sure were aired before they could be walked back, and they only had a fixed space of time to do it:

1) ShAmy making the decision to live together beyond the experiment, and

2) ShAmy and Lenny living across the hall from each other because that way they can continue to treat 4a/4b as one big set.

Now, clearly they didn't need some big conflict to do it. There was nothing about the preceding episodes to suggest that ShAmy wouldn't calmly collate experiment results and declare the experiment a success. There could even be dramatic tension inherent in the discovery that maybe they had calibrated their scales of success incorrectly, which meant the experiment WASN'T a success according to their own narrow ideas, but they agreed to fudge it anyway. The dramatic tension could have arisen from scrapping over who got 4a. Though I can see that that would legitimately ruffle a lot of feathers, which the writers were in no mind to do with the 12 or so minutes they had given themselves to sort out the living arrangements.

But yeah, they didn't need to have amy or penny lying TO their partners. Clearly that is tooth-achingly dumb. Which brings me to what I think is the real reason: This season, one of the writers is a card-carrying, out and proud PAmy. In three episodes this season out of seven (four counting Amy and Penny's breakfast debrief in 10x04), we've had Penny and Amy snarking and bonding, and in another we've had Penny ticking Sheldon off for his treatment of Amy. If you like, PAmy have had a more consistent throughline this season so far than ShAmy (their plots started earlier), and -forgive me, Lenny friends! - more satisfying time than Lenny.

Anyway, so op this writer saw an opportunity to have PAmy bond in the most flagrant, clubhouse, pull-up-the-ladder-to-the-treehouse way: Sharing a secret AND a secret language, and scheming to pull the wool over the eyes of their friends' romantic interests. Oh, Shelnard get in on the action too, but in reaction. At bottom, this episode is not a ShAmy or a Lenny story. It is a PAmy story. And if you see it from that lens, the lie - well, it doesn't make SENSE, per se. But as a PAmy friend'shipper, I can be seduced.

43 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

I guess it is possible she thought that despite Sheldon committing to the five weeks which I think no question he would have done. He was enjoying it but maybe she just took his enthusiasm to be more scientific curiosity than anything.

Poor communication, not always on the same page, worrying what the other may feel, worried if the other isn't as committed as them. That's Shamy at times, well most couples experience that but maybe they do more of it than most. But they have improved significantly on that front.

It worked out in the end though, I wanted them to end up living together permanently and in 4B.

Edited by Jonny

41 minutes ago, April said:

RE Amy's lie:

I thought that was pretty obvious.

53 minutes ago, joyceraye said:

Sure, why wouldn't she? Sheldon is so moody - what guarantee has she that she gets the "we need to see this through!" Sheldon instead of the "maybe it'll get cancelled after 3 weeks!" or "I think we should see other people!" one? They had quite a lot of issues at the beginning and when she got the message that her apartment is ready it's been like what, a week or so of them living in relative harmony? That isn't a save way to tell how Sheldon would react to the news and the possibility of cutting this experiment short is imho an understandable fear.

ETA: There's also the line in 10x6 where Sheldon explains to his guests that they'll be living there until her apartment is ready. So there you go! (thanks, @mirs1!)

Edited by April

ok after reading the comments of the last 1,5 days I'm just curious - am I the ONLY one who's completely ok with this episode lol??

As a Shamy fan, I didn't expect it to be Shamy-heavy after FIVE! consecutive Shamy-heavy episodes... I actually expected no Shamy interaction at all, so it pleasantly surprised me that they did have scenes together.

As just a general fan of the show, my least fav episodes are separate guys/girls plots usually, or boring science (you know, there's cool science like mention of CERN, string theory, holograms in Leonard's lab etc, and there's boring science like that guidance system plot, at least to me it was very boring : p ) and after so many consecutive episodes with separate shamy/lenny/howardette plots I expected an episode with no couples interaction at all, or I dunno... Well smth that's more about boring!science than emotions. But I was pleasantly surprised. I really can relate to Sheldon and I don't think we've seen him coming to terms with his jealousy before. Him being petty - sure. Like petty to the point of ridiculous (Howard going to space). Him being open about his jealousy and kinda exploring it - not so much. I think it's the situation many of us live in now, at least the younger generation, when we place huge expectations on ourselves and constantly strive to be the best and constantly live in stress and self-judgement cause of that we don't  live up to our own standards... and cause nobody can win all the time and always be the best. So I was glad they explored that tbh, to me it is light years apart from Sheldon's usual derogatory comments towards engineers, geologists etc. I think they showed him maturing.

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

I agree with you, it doesn't make much sense if they were still under that 5 week experimental time-frame. If her apartment was ready before the actual 5 weeks was up well judging from Sheldon's rant in the first episode of the experiment goes by he would have still stuck to the 5 week deadline. We must be under this timeframe otherwise the decision about permanent living arrangements would had already been made and the status of Amy's apartment would be moot.

The only reason I can think of is that they had a disagreement recently off screen on the scale perhaps of the bathroom schedule. For example an argument over the thermostat temperature settings or something. And because of that disagreement she thought Sheldon would take that out had she told him about her apartment status.

Truth be told I think it's one of those storylines they have done in the past where what they have previously stated to be the case they forget about or think they can bend what they have previously said. In other words they just wanted to create a bit of drama to float this idea that the whole thing could potentially fall through but then wanted to produce the twist that in fact the opposite happens and it becomes permanent.

However it actually was set up or plays out I am very happy with the end outcome. :)

That suggestion makes some sense, thanks. I couldn't see what she'd believe she had to lose that would be bad enough to deceive Sheldon for. I don't know anything in real life about couples shacking up but it strikes me that Amy must know it's an enormous thing in Sheldon's development as well as hers. She knows Lenny don't want him back so he can't return smoothly to his old life. There's so much going on for him, why make any of it more difficult ? Protecting him from a complication I could understand, but from what Penny said it doesn't look as though that was her motive. I can he see he could be hurt that she'd want to mess with his head. Glad it looks as though he let that go. :)

1 hour ago, April said:

Sure, why wouldn't she? Sheldon is so moody - what guarantee has she that she gets the "we need to see this through!" Sheldon instead of the "maybe it'll get cancelled after 3 weeks!" or "I think we should see other people!" one? They had quite a lot of issues at the beginning and when she got the message that her apartment is ready it's been like what, a week or so of them living in relative harmony? That isn't a save way to tell how Sheldon would react to the news and the possibility of cutting this experiment short is imho an understandable fear.

ETA: There's also the line in 10x6 where Sheldon explains to his guests that they'll be living there until her apartment is ready. So there you go! (thanks, @mirs1!)

I see that's a possibility. I was hoping she'd be more confident, but of course that's with some hindsight of spoilers for what comes next. Thanks everybody for the clarifications so far.

1 hour ago, wowbagger said:

Anyway, so op this writer saw an opportunity to have PAmy bond in the most flagrant, clubhouse, pull-up-the-ladder-to-the-treehouse way: Sharing a secret AND a secret language, and scheming to pull the wool over the eyes of their friends' romantic interests. Oh, Shelnard get in on the action too, but in reaction. At bottom, this episode is not a ShAmy or a Lenny story. It is a PAmy story. And if you see it from that lens, the lie - well, it doesn't make SENSE, per se. But as a PAmy friend'shipper, I can be seduced.

Very good points !  That hadn't registered with me and would have taken some time to do so.

10 minutes ago, brilliantfool said:

ok after reading the comments of the last 1,5 days I'm just curious - am I the ONLY one who's completely ok with this episode lol??

As a Shamy fan, I didn't expect it to be Shamy-heavy after FIVE! consecutive Shamy-heavy episodes... I actually expected no Shamy interaction at all, so it pleasantly surprised me that they did have scenes together.

As just a general fan of the show, my least fav episodes are separate guys/girls plots usually, or boring science (you know, there's cool science like mention of CERN, string theory, holograms in Leonard's lab etc, and there's boring science like that guidance system plot, at least to me it was very boring : p ) and after so many consecutive episodes with separate shamy/lenny/howardette plots I expected an episode with no couples interaction at all, or I dunno... Well smth that's more about boring!science than emotions. But I was pleasantly surprised. I really can relate to Sheldon and I don't think we've seen him coming to terms with his jealousy before. Him being petty - sure. Like petty to the point of ridiculous (Howard going to space). Him being open about his jealousy and kinda exploring it - not so much. I think it's the situation many of us live in now, at least the younger generation, when we place huge expectations on ourselves and constantly strive to be the best and constantly live in stress and self-judgement cause of that we don't  live up to our own standards... and cause nobody can win all the time and always be the best. So I was glad they explored that tbh, to me it is light years apart from Sheldon's usual derogatory comments towards engineers, geologists etc. I think they showed him maturing.

The only issue I really have is the timing cause it is a Sheldon heavy plot after "FIVE! consecutive Shamy-heavy episodes" so I wouldn't have minded if they left that for another point in the season to give someone else the spotlight. (I also disagree on disliking guys/girls plots, but that's not the topic. lol)

But I absolutely agree with you on the story as such. They may reuse a lot of premises over the years, which is bound to happen after such a long time and there's nothing new under the sun anyway. But with this they at least put a new spin on it. Just a few days ago I mentioned in another thread how Sheldon is often hurting himself with his behaviour - and now that episode it using that kind of thought literally. It might be a heavy handed metaphor but seeing how people often miss the subtle aspects I guess some Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped every now and then.

I think the act of lying upset him more than the actual reasons behind the lie. I obviously haven't seen the episode yet so I don't know how genuinely upset or worried he is and how that comes across on screen but judging from the photos he looks genuinely worried. I haven't seen him like that probably since Solder Excursion when he was extremely worried about what Amy's reaction was going to be to the storage unit. He looked a dead man walking or resolved to his fate that perhaps his revelation might drive her away when he turned the light on in that storage unit and she went in.

I am loving the klingon/ubbi dubbi scene but I am actually looking forward more to the bit after that where I assume they talk it through, she apologies for putting him through the stress of worrying and he tells her it's a good thing they are on the same page.

And I can't wait to see her reaction when he tells her, it sounds like according to the TR that she looks taken aback and surprised which probably adds more evidence to this idea that she perhaps didn't think the outcome was as set in stone as we thought. I guess in a way that does make some sense.

Looking forward to this episode immensely. :)

Edited by Jonny

3 minutes ago, Jonny said:

And I can't wait to see her reaction when he tells her, it sounds like according to the TR that she looks taken aback and surprised which probably adds more evidence to this idea that she perhaps didn't think the outcome was as set in stone as we thought. I guess in a way that does make some sense.

As much as we would like Amy to have some more faith in Sheldon it's a constant pattern in their relationship that she fears he's not as committed to this relationship as she is - with him being a flight risk and everything. Sure, the breakup and aftermath have changed Sheldon's attitude dramatically but I don't think it's easy for Amy to shake all those years of wondering if this relationship will ever go anywhere.

So what we get is a string of interactions in which Sheldon is making a step forward or some sort of gesture showing his progress and she is surprised every time.

• Sheldon takes her hand. She looking at him in amazement.
  • Sheldon kisses her. She's stunned.
  • Sheldon tells her she's pretty. Her reaction is a surprised "Really?" (Meanwhile when Penny compliments her she's all "Aww yeah, I'm great!")
  • Sheldon tells her "ILY2". She has a panic attack.
  • Sheldon wants to make love on her birthday. She yells at Bernie and Penny in disbelieve and has to sit down for a while.
  • Sheldon admits he has a ring for her. She is shocked.
  • Sheldon agrees to the cohabitation experiment. She is has to ask if he's sure about that.
  • Sheldon thinks the experiment is a success and he wants to live with her. She is of course surprised!
  • Bonus: Sheldon suddenly wants to make a baby. Judging by the pictures she has the shock of a lifetime! LOL

I mean, honestly, her being surprised really shouldn't be surprising anymore! She doesn't take his progress for granted or as something to be expected.

33 minutes ago, April said:

As much as we would like Amy to have some more faith in Sheldon it's a constant pattern in their relationship that she fears he's not as committed to this relationship as she is - with him being a flight risk and everything. Sure, the breakup and aftermath have changed Sheldon's attitude dramatically but I don't think it's easy for Amy to shake all those years of wondering if this relationship will ever go anywhere.

So what we get is a string of interactions in which Sheldon is making a step forward or some sort of gesture showing his progress and she is surprised every time.

• Sheldon takes her hand. She looking at him in amazement.
  • Sheldon kisses her. She's stunned.
  • Sheldon tells her she's pretty. Her reaction is a surprised "Really?" (Meanwhile when Penny compliments her she's all "Aww yeah, I'm great!")
  • Sheldon tells her "ILY2". She has a panic attack.
  • Sheldon wants to make love on her birthday. She yells at Bernie and Penny in disbelieve and has to sit down for a while.
  • Sheldon admits he has a ring for her. She is shocked.
  • Sheldon agrees to the cohabitation experiment. She is has to ask if he's sure about that.
  • Sheldon thinks the experiment is a success and he wants to live with her. She is of course surprised!
  • Bonus: Sheldon suddenly wants to make a baby. Judging by the pictures she has the shock of a lifetime! LOL

I mean, honestly, her being surprised really shouldn't be surprising anymore! She doesn't take his progress for granted or as something to be expected.

Yeah that's a fear that is hard to shrug especially when it's something that has been established for some time. Sheldon to be fair has stepped up big time and responded to every challenge so far and has shown a great level of commitment this season.

I guess in a way framing it as an experiment in the first place has probably added to the confusion. If you are Amy and you see Sheldon doing things you didn't think were in him especially at this moment in time it's only natural you would think, 'well is he doing this because he genuinely wants to' or is he doing this because 'it's an experiment and as a scientist he is going all in to test all the possible variables to establish an outcome'.

We as viewers know the answer better than perhaps she does, he's going all in because he wants this. I think there are moments where she has not picked up on this or fully grasped that. And honestly I can understand that, judging from their history and the way their relationship has developed.

Edited by Jonny

6 hours ago, wowbagger said:

If you like, PAmy have had a more consistent throughline this season so far than ShAmy (their plots started earlier), and -forgive me, Lenny friends! - more satisfying time than Lenny.

No need to forgive, when you speak the truth. Someone also has to care to be upset enough to forgive. With more screen time for Shamy than Lenny, And Pamy being better written than Lenny, I'm Not sure if I care enough about Lenny,  at this time, to even bother to get upset.